Code of Conduct

Default Secretions Magnifiques?

Hey guys I just recently tested this one out! Ugh It was nasty to my nose! It just smelled putrid and i don't see how people could actually wear that! Now my question is do any of you guys actually enjoy that smell? Why?

Default Re: Secretions Magnifiques?

I thought that was just a novelty scent... no one actually wears it.... right???........

You'll have to check back on previous threads where a small number of people did say they liked and wore SM.
    I haven't seen much of them since.
    Perhaps it killed them.
    Renato

Default blob

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosoraibi View Post
    Hey guys I just recently tested this one out! Ugh It was nasty to my nose! It just smelled putrid and i don't see how people could actually wear that! Now my question is do any of you guys actually enjoy that smell? Why?
    I'm a bit different. I like smells. Do You have still an idea of the first smell You ever questioned as being real? When was it, and with what a sensation that Your personal sense of smell started to speak to You, breaking through to a conscious level?

Of course SM does not smell of or smell like inglorious bodily secretions, nor does it relate to infamous bodily smells. It plays with Your expectations. Your expectations filter reality in order to fit signals of sensory organs to something You understand already. The unknown generates fear, though. This is fact.

Enjoy the nastiness! That is exactly what it is about. Its origin is human creativity alone. There is no predefined reality behind it. Its up to You to construct such a thing. Alas, some self acclaimed jackasses jumped on the bandwagon and annexed ELdOs famous alps in taking the name of SM literally and telling all the world how gross it is. As if for instance their own body comprising said secretions was a bunch of icky slime. Stupid.

I knew better right from the start and play with this marvel once in a while. It is very very strong, take care alone for the dose!

My guess is that some people are insensitive to the towering metallic bilge note at the heart of SM. After all, there are people who enjoy other frags with similar notes (eg M/Mink, Tirrenico), though of course the notes are much quieter there.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    My guess is that some people are insensitive to the towering metallic bilge note ...
    From what I know this ain't the correct resolution. Nearly all people I gave SM to smell (on blotter and - take care: on me) didn't care for the horror. This may be so because by a certain habit I'm good in avoiding specific suggestions. I would conclude that SM is as off putting as raw chestnut. Though nutty and foody it has a very pronounced tannin, a bitter sour off note that prevents it from being eaten in raw form. That was the worst complaint I got so far.

Of course perfume aficionados accuse SM for not being a fragrance in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Of course perfume aficionados accuse SM for not being a fragrance in the first place.
    Luca Turin gave SM 5 stars in Perfume the Guide.

If you really want people to smell horror, you have to spray it on the back of their hand, rather than blotting paper.

Renato

Didn't like this one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    ... smell horror ...
    You promote an urban legend with that quip. Alas, people ruined the possibilities of abstract perfumery by projecting mostly bad things into it. As if spectators at the MoMA would imagine splatter scenes behind every red spot of color, not to think of brown.

Of course obtrusive personalities on YouTube etc rather publish fishy sensations than honest 'secretions' of their very minds. They eventually 'made' it for bad. Sigh ... 'perfume reviews' on YouTube are nothing else than filthy entertainment - can't count how often I spotted plain lies. 'Couldn't care less, though.

I'm actually not a fan of SM. And of course You are free to dislike whatever You want. In the end SM is an industrial product, nothing more.

It's just a perfume done outlandishly.

Had it not been called Secretions Magnifique people wouldn't have given it a second thought.

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosoraibi View Post
    While I did not associate the scent with some of the things others have that it is infamous for, I did get a terrible milky metallic accord that was absolutely horrendous. It notably is the only scent that actually made me sick... My eyes got blurry and I started to feel weird. I don't know what it was, but my sample will never see the light of day again. Disgusting stuff.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I did get the metallic note, sort of overlaid with something sweet, almost like that smell you encounter when driving past a pharmaceutical factory in New Jersey (or at least you used to when I was a kid). It was a bit nauseating.

Having said that, I wish I'd smelled it before I heard all the fuss about it, just to be sure that I wasn't just being susceptible to suggestion. But Katie Puckrik's description, "smells like a crime scene," seems pretty spot-on to me- even though I think her reaction was a bit over the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4p0uw42cdo Mitchell & Webb - Linden Trees Smell Of... erm... Secretions Magnifiques

It is interesting, like those interactive museum exhibits where you think: "hum, how educational!". But apart from getting to smell it, which I found rewarding, I would never ever wear it, as the first half hour smells of wet dog and makes me literally nauseous.

I would love to know how may etat libre de orange sell in comparison to all their other scents

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    You promote an urban legend with that quip.
    No I don't.
    I knew nothing about SM - had never heard of it - when I sprayed SM and others from that line on my hands and wrists.
    I was dismayed by how awful it was.
    I tried rubbing it off at the base of my trousers. That didn't work.
    I went to the shop next door, grabbed Kennth Colle Black and sprayed it all over where the SM was. That didn't work.
    I went back to the men's room in my office building, and spent ten minutes rubbing hand soap and hot water over it. That didn't work, as I still felt like puking any time my hand came near my face.
    Finally, I got home that night and used a powder kitchen cleanser - Ajax - to finally remove it.
    It took a high grade indistrial product to finally kill it.

The notion that it smells like a crime scene is silly. During my life I've often been involved with the butchering of animals - cows, pigs, sheep etc. SM is far, far worse than any smell from a butchering site or crime scene.
    Regards,
    Renato

SM is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be (Katie Puckric I'm looking in your direction), but definitely not something I'd ever wear.

I get a strong metallic smell with some light florals in the backround, as for the supposed "blood" and "semen" notes I'm sorry but I feel that's just a gimmick.

Here we go again.........

Carlosoraibi, how did you test it?
    Did you give it a full wear and experience the development?

SM is a funny one because it's opening is very challenging but if you give it time it is amazing how it develops/changes and balances the different notes.

That said, if you hate the smell then you hate it but at least you've had some of the experience.

Thumbs up Re: Secretions Magnifiques?

I love it and wear it in public. And yes, when I wear SM some people compliment me on how good I smell.

On my skin is a metallic, milky and very oceanic floral. It conjures images of sea, died leaves floating on a lake and dryclean. It's a strange, beautiful, melancholic and very poetic perfume.

A good friend owns a bottle and wears SM. He says he loves the "metallic freakness."

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    My guess is that some people are insensitive to the towering metallic bilge note at the heart of SM. After all, there are people who enjoy other frags with similar notes (eg M/Mink, Tirrenico), though of course the notes are much quieter there.

cacio
    This!

Some people are definitely insensitive to it. When I smelled it, Yes, I had expectations, but I know my perception is real because when I smelled it (and almost vomited twice), it wasn't simply blood that I smelled. The smell I got was specifically the smell that comes after a wound has finished bleeding and is trying to heal. No one had mentioned anything like that, so I wasn't expecting it. I do think it is "artistic," kind of like the difference between Italian Renaissance (Derby) and German Expressionism (SM). I will one day own SM BECAUSE I AM A HUGE ELdO fan; however, I'm going to buy up all the ones I will actually wear first. LOL

Oh, and by the way, I agree with WildThingy..I like "bad" smells. However, this one is extreme, even for me.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me