Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prince Classic / German Inexpensive Cologne

Hi All,

I read a great review of "Prince Classic", a german "drugstore" scent, on the Pour Monsieur blog... would really love to get a hold of a bottle based on the description (BTW Pour Monsieur is a great blog, highly recommended reading).

Does anyone know of a source that ships this fragrance to the US? I haven't even seen it available on the international eBay sites.

Thanks for any assistance,

Joel

Default Re: Prince Classic / German Inexpensive Cologne

Did you buy it?

I wish, unfortunately no one ever replied to me on the thread. So still have not tried it.

Do you know of a place in the US which sells it?

Best,

Joel

Have not ried Prince but totally argree that Pour Monsieur iss an excellent blog! I check in daily just to make sure I don't miss anything.
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Agreed, I check it daily myself. Wish he would take requests for reviews:-)

So, now back to Prince Classic ... every tiny bit of what Pourmonsieurblog is wiriting is nothing but the truth IMHO.
    I just this morning bought the recent incarnation of it that comes in a square bottle with laquered lettering in 100ml. I bought it for under 3 Euros (!!!) and it is

* SO good!*

It comes really really close to Aramis' leathery chypre vibe and it might be the best dupe I've ever smelled. It is even a bit more than a knockoff in my book with a brighter, a bit tamer more ambery finish, good performance and a 5 hours notable performance (some more as a skin/hair/clothes scent.) Prince is labeled as an "After Shave Eau de Toilette" with "Alcohol, Aqua, Parfum" followed by the common chems but also by soothing stuff like witch hazel.

A winner, but one should like oldschool citric-leathery ambers

So glad Pourmonsieurblog is finally BACK! This blog really rocks.
    Currently wearing: Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Can fully agree that Prince Classic is a budget- but not necessarily inferior, in fact almost identically smelling- version of Aramis, great projection for the money as well (so much that it can be actually sensed by almost anyone else around)
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Copy of an old post of mine:

Prince Classic aftershave/edt (both are written on the bottle): but it is similar to the classic Aramis and not to TL.
    It costs €3/100ml and is only available in Germany (Aldi supermarket) as far as I know. I own three bottles and it is indeed very leathery and like a fresher (but still very strong: edt strength) more modern take on Aramis. For the price extremely good imo!

Here a review written by Shamu who gave it a 10/10!

http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.nl/...e-classic.html

(there are at least 3 different bottle versions of the Prince Classic but they all smell about the same)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Chanel: Platinum Egoiste
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (Aqua)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - Knize Ten

Just had my first decent shave topped with it, using quite an agressive razor. The Prince doesn't burn as much as any of my other AS (but I'm a bit in the burning-lovers-camp). Using is as an AS (spalshed liberally) it's a BEAST :-) ... so it's more useful in a day scent way to me. I find it great, best true cheapie I own.

Interesting. Never heard of this one before.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It does smell like Aramis............

- Knize Ten

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    No associates in Germany who can get this for you ?
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

Hm, was looking for the EdT at Aldi today and only saw deo spray and aftershave. Went home without buying any of them because I thought it would be standard AS strenght. Reading this thread, it seems there's no dedicated EdT? So is the strenght of this AS indeed on par with Aramis EdT in terms of longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    It does smell like Aramis............
    Well, that's that!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Hm, was looking for the EdT at Aldi today and only saw deo spray and aftershave. Went home without buying any of them because I thought it would be standard AS strenght. Reading this thread, it seems there's no dedicated EdT? So is the strenght of this AS indeed on par with Aramis EdT in terms of longevity?
    On the bottle there is aftershave as well as eau de toilette written but there have been different bottle (lay outs) throughout the years.
    The strength is edt for sure!

Read my Post #41 in thread below plz...........

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/321...-bought-Aramis

(see on both pics of old and newer bottle that aftershave and eau de toilette are both written on the bottle; there is even a third version. If you Google. you'll find it!)
    Last edited by Slayerized; 26th March 2016 at 09:58 PM.

- Knize Ten

Thanks, Slayerized! I'll give it a shot next week.

Dug out my old bottle of original Aramis today and refreshed my memory. Associating it with my grandpa, I had almost forgotten about the fresh aspects that it has too. I still think, I can't really wear this confidently (yet). But who knows... maybe those slight differences people describe with Prince Classic might just be enough to tip me over that edge.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 26th March 2016 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks, Slayerized! I'll give it a shot next week.

Dug out my old bottle of original Aramis today and refreshed my memory. Associating it with my grandpa, I had almost forgotten about the fresh aspects that it has too. I still think, I can't really wear this confidently (yet). But who knows... maybe those slight differences people describe with Prince Classic might just be enough to tip me over that edge.
    For those €3 you cannot go wrong anyway!

- Knize Ten

Alright... I came back from Aldi with a splash bottle of Prince After Shave / Eau de Toilette an hour ago (2,45 € for 100ml).

Yes, this is very, very close to classic Aramis! Yes, it's a freakin' bargain if you like the scent! Yes, in some aspects, I consider it a bit more wearable for me personally. So far, I would say that has to do with slightly decreased amounts of Hexyl Cinnamal (or maybe it's a different cinnamon component in the original), slightly amped up patchouli and much to my surprise the addition of something animalic (which might even be a mix of synthetic civet and castoreum (Edit: and almost definitely some cumin). I suddenly smell a darn close connection with Antaeus (without much or any in terms of beeswax, of course). Fascinating. (Edit: the longer I have it on and the more I sniff the more I smell Antaeus instead of Aramis, mainly due to the leather accord coming in stronger and stronger. There is also a very close connection to Clubman Pinaud Special Reserve - which would be sooo awesome if the longevity was good).

On my box and bottle (sticker at the bottom) it says "MAXIM Markenprodukte GmbH & Co, KG" instead of "DALLI Werke". It is unclear wether or not they produce the juice or just distribute it (they do both and there doesn't seem to be enough info available online).

Another info that might be of use: in Germany there's two different ALDI chains because the original founders were a pair of brothers and I believe to have heared that they were fighting with each other and decided to go separate ways. Both have died recently but there's still "ALDI NORD" and "ALDI SÜD" in Germany - "Nord" = "north" and "Süd" = "south". They do have different sortiments and different in-house brands, too. I believe "Prince" is actually only available at ALDI SÜD! However, if ALDI NORD does sell "Prince" (which absolutely didn't look like it during my quick google research), that might account for the Maxim/Dalli-labeling. More likely that DALLI has sold the brand to MAXIM very recently though.

Another interesting tidbit: DALLI Werke belong to the Wirtz family clan, who also founded Mäurer & Wirtz, creators of drugstore classics like "Tabac Original", "4711 - Kölnisch Wasser" and several others.

And yet another interesting tidbit, I've just found about MAXIM Markenprodukte: perfumer for one of their own perfumes is none other then Pierre Bourdon (the man, the legend). The fragrance in question is called "Miro" and sold at Douglas.

Definitely recommended for what it is!
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 30th March 2016 at 06:45 PM.

Alright... I came back from Aldi with a splash bottle of Prince After Shave / Eau de Toilette an hour ago (2,45 € for 100ml).

Yes, this is very, very close to classic Aramis! Yes, it's a freakin' bargain if you like the scent! Yes, in some aspects, I consider it a bit more wearable for me personally. So far, I would say that has to do with slightly decreased amounts of Hexyl Cinnamal (or maybe it's a different cinnamon component in the original), slightly amped up patchouli and much to my surprise the addition of something animalic (which might even be a mix of synthetic zibet and castoreum. I suddenly smell a darn close connection with Antaeus (without much or any in terms of beeswax, of course). Fascinating. (Edit: the longer I have it on and the more I sniff the more I smell Antaeus instead of Aramis, mainly due to the leather accord coming in stronger and stronger. There is also a very close connection to Pinnaud Clubman Special Reserve - which would be sooo awesome if the longevity was good).

On my box and bottle (sticker at the bottom) it says "MAXIM Markenprodukte GmbH & Co, KG" instead of "DALLI Werke". It is unclear wether or not they produce the juice or just distribute it (they do both and there doesn't seem to be enough info available online).

Another info that might be of use: in Germany there's two different ALDI chains because the original founders were a pair of brothers and I believe to have heared that they were fighting with each other and decided to go separate ways. Both have died recently but there's still "ALDI NORD" and "ALDI SÜD" in Germany - "Nord" = "north" and "Süd" = "south". They do have different sortiments and different in-house brands, too. I believe "Prince" is actually only available at ALDI SÜD! However, if ALDI NORD does sell "Prince" (which absolutely didn't look like it during my quick google research), that might account for the Maxim/Dalli-labeling. More likely that DALLI has sold the brand to MAXIM very recently though.

Another interesting tidbit: DALLI Werke belong to the Wirtz family clan, who also founded Mäurer & Wirtz, creators of drugstore classics like "Tabac Original", "4711 - Kölnisch Wasser" and several others.

And yet another interesting tidbit, I've just found about MAXIM Markenprodukte: perfumer for one of their own perfumes is none other then Pierre Bourdon (the man, the legend). The fragrance in question is called "Miro" and sold at Douglas.

Definitely recommended for what it is!
    Told you!
    Thanks for the extra info Nasenmann!
    I own one old 100ml bottle (the long oval bottle from 6 years or more ago which is already empty) and two of the newest (squared bottle; bought in 2014) and both versions smell the same to my nose.
    (The impeccable Irisch Moos is also from Mäurer & Wirtz by the way!)

- Knize Ten

Yes, thanks for the hint!

I'll need more wearings to be sure but right now I'd say that it starts out very Aramis, transistions into Antaeus and from there into Clubman Pinaud SR - and stays there. Still clearly recognizable as a leather fragrance when smelled up close but not as Aramis anymore. In terms of projection Aramis or Antaeus would both project much more at this point - I find that both can become a bit overpowering, so that's more a matter of personal taste then a pro or con. Clubman on the other hand would be long gone by now (although it's fairly strong for being an AS also). Prince Classic is definitely out-performing regular After Shave concentrations but is not a powerhouse either. I guess it really does fall right between AS and EdT concentration.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 29th March 2016 at 07:03 PM.

I'll need more wearings to be sure but right now I'd say that it starts out very Aramis, transistions into Antaeus and from there into Clubman Pinaud SR - and stays there. Still clearly recognizable as a leather fragrance when smelled up close but not as Aramis anymore. In terms of projection Aramis or Antaeus would both project much more at this point. Clubman on the other hand would be long gone by now. Prince Classic is definitely out-perfoming regular After Shave concentrations but is not a powerhouse either. I guess it really does fall right between AS and EdT concentration.
    Great research!!! Will take out my old Antaeus. Thanks a lot :-)

I'll need more wearings to be sure but right now I'd say that it starts out very Aramis, transistions into Antaeus and from there into Clubman Pinaud SR - and stays there. Still clearly recognizable as a leather fragrance when smelled up close but not as Aramis anymore. In terms of projection Aramis or Antaeus would both project much more at this point - I find that both can become a bit overpowering, so that's more a matter of personal taste then a pro or con. Clubman on the other hand would be long gone by now (although it's fairly strong for being an AS also). Prince Classic is definitely out-performing regular After Shave concentrations but is not a powerhouse either. I guess it really does fall right between AS and EdT concentration.
    To me it is ''Aramis all the way'' and actually I concur with Shamu's excellent review (which I am sure you have read in the meantime?!) all along as that is exactly how I perceive it as well.
    I do not see much similarities with Antaeus (besides having much leather) and even less with Special Reserve which smells more like a waxed horse saddle to me.
    I agree that Prince Classic has a strong edc strength with huge sillage first 30 mins and 4+hrs longevity (a bit like Gillette Cool Wave's strength but a tad stronger!).

- Knize Ten

Last time I bought this more than 10 years ago from Hofer (long story short, the Austrian subsidiary/partner retail chain of Aldi), it projected very strong and garnered far more complaints rather than any other feedback if applied too liberally, still a good fragrance for the price though- more than certainly the Dalli Werke release
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

@Slayerized:
    You know how it is... what we smell is always twisted and skewed by associations and thoughts, just like what we remember. So everything I describe must be taken for what it is: highly subjective impressions from an amature.

That being said: yes, I have read Shamu's review but while I highly respect his opinion and share many of his favourites, we are not quite on the same page for this, Antaeus or Clubman SR. Unlike him I do like all three of them very much (he's not a fan of SR and slightly disappointed with Antaeus). Having smelled original Aramis just the other day, I'm quite sure that Prince Classic does start to go down a slightly different road after about an hour or so. As I mentioned above, it reminded me more of Antaeus without beeswax - but I'll have to do an actual side-by-side comparison tomorrow to see if my memory doesn't deceive me here. However, this stage (when there was some balsamic sweetness present in Prince and the leather started to come to the fore, didn't last more then maybe an hour or so, probably less. To my nose there's actually more patchouli then in Aramis, Shamu said it's less (I didn't find it very noticable in original Aramis). Edit: There's probably a significant amount of Patchouli in Aramis but what I meant is that it's so well blended that I can barely make it out.

As for Clubman SR, I put some on my other arm about an hour ago and while there are some differences (SR being softer due to some powdery/musky notes) I still totally see strong similarities to the later leather-stage of Prince Classic (which remains crisper and earthier due to a classic patchouli/vetiver combo).

The leather accord they all seem to share is not the polished "luxury furniture leather that is not quite suede" found in Cuir Ottoman or REL. Instead there's a smoky ruggedness to them which I supect to stem from birch tar and galbanum. Antaeus (and to a lesser extend SR) does feel more greasy (making them appear slightly smoother) where Aramis and Prince seem to be a bit more spicy and earthy.

Looking at how much I thought and blabbed about Prince today, I definitely have gotten more then my money's worth out of it already...
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 30th March 2016 at 06:18 PM.

@Slayerized:
    You know how it is... what we smell is always twisted and skewed by associations and thoughts, just like what we remember. So everything I describe must be taken for what it is: highly subjective impressions from an amature.

That being said: yes, I have read Shamu's review but while I highly respect his opinion and share many of his favourites, we are not quite on the same page for this, Antaeus or Clubman SR. Unlike him I do like all three of them very much (he's not a fan of SR and slightly disappointed with Antaeus). Having smelled original Aramis just the other day, I'm quite sure that Prince Classic does start to go down a slightly different road after about an hour or so. As I mentioned above, it reminded me more of Antaeus without beeswax - but I'll have to do an actual side-by-side comparison tomorrow to see if my memory doesn't deceive me here. However, this stage (when there was some balsamic sweetness present in Prince and the leather started to come to the fore, didn't last more then maybe an hour or so, probably less. To my nose there's actually more patchouli then in Aramis, Shamu said it's less (I didn't find it very noticable in original Aramis).

As for Clubman SR, I put some on my other arm about an hour ago and while there are some differences (SR being softer due to some powdery/musky notes) I still totally see strong similarities to the later leather-stage of Prince Classic (which remains crisper and earthier due to a classic patchouli/vetiver combo).

The leather accord they all seem to share is not the polished "luxury furniture leather that is not quite suede" found in Cuir Ottoman or REL. Instead there's a smoky ruggedness to them which I supect to stem from birch tar and galbanum. Antaeus (and to a lesser extend SR) does feel more greasy (making them appear slightly smoother) where Aramis and Prince seem to be a bit more spicy and earthy.

Looking at how much I thought and blabbed about Prince today, I definitely have gotten more then my money's worth out of it already...
    Haha, yes, a few bucks well spent anyway indeed!
    I agree that certain aspects of the scent can indeed be compared to Antaeus and or Special Reserve but as a whole it is pretty different (imo).
    To me (as I like Aramis but certainly do not love it) I only use it as a real aftershave after my wet shaving before I shower (I call that a pre-shower wearing which are normally only aftershaves of which I own many) so I hardly wear it longer than 1 hour (weekends) and never wore it as Sotd/Sote yet anyway, so I am not that familiar with the (far (drydown) though I did lots of arm testings and side by sides with (vintage) Aramis Cologne.
    Conclusion: for the €3/100ml this is too good not to purchase when you have the chance, even when you do not love Aramis.
    When one loves Aramis, snatch at least 5 bottles when one can
    Last edited by Slayerized; 30th March 2016 at 04:15 PM.

- Knize Ten

The madness continues...

Right now, I'm doing a side-by-side with Aramis. First thing I notice (again) is the much stronger cinnamon note in Aramis and an overall fuller, creamier feel compared to Prince. Probably has to do with oakmoss, as usual, and whatever they advertised as coconut (maybe an ccord containing sandalwood) seems to shimmer through in Aramis but is mostly/entirely absent in Prince. Another thing that I notice today is that there's certainly a lot ot Pachouli in the original too but due to the way it is blended, it didn't quite register very clearly when I wasn't looking for it. For some reason I find it easier to identify in Prince. Overall, this first stage is really damned close though. Normally I wouldn't notice most of these details and as someone who assoicated Aramis with grandpa, I welcome them actually.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 30th March 2016 at 06:41 PM.

Yeah ... back again in the Prince Classic snifffest ... I get this Antaeus-connection in the same way that I'm getting a Kouros/Marbert Homme/Weil Kipling (but NOT a Jules/Yatagan) connection. But still it screams Aramis. Prince is a well-mannered powerscent. At work (me and the guys have a friend-like relationship) - 4 out of 7 people bought Prince instantly after I told 'em about it. It's funny how many people like it instantly ... and more so if they get to know the whole story of it. Strangely my experiences with Aramis were of a different kind ... there seems to be kind of Aldi-bonus among non-fumeheads :-) ... let's do some research hm? ;-)

Have to check out Aldi tomorrow.. I usually buy food in other discounters and avoid this one. There's something in Amaris that is just not for me, yet I do like such old-schoolers. Maybe this cheapy fits better.
    I'm fighting with myself to buy another cheap drugstore cologne.. Noble Neroli by Comptoir Cologne, 6€ at Rossmann. Seems this month might be a bargain month, perfumewise at least
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Please could anyone tell me if Prince Classic is available in ALDI in the UK...?

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Please could anyone tell me if Prince Classic is available in ALDI in the UK...?
    I don't think so Derby but you why don't you have a look yourself?

- Knize Ten