Code of Conduct

Default Is anyone here into pure ambergris? Indian Ocean Ambergris

Anyone here into ambergris? I recieved a sample of pure Indian Ocean Ambergris. I heard about ambergris but have never smell pure ambergris before... Well let me tell you what it smells like... Sweet, tobacco, musky and animalic... Very addicting... Nice and very unique...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Is anyone here into pure ambergris? Indian Ocean Ambergris

There's a guy on eBay who sells various localities of it, along with deer musk oil and pods, sandalwood, and oud. Definitely gonna throw down on some when I get the cash.

Cool, did you get raw ambergris or some kind of tincture?

raw ambergris can not be tabacoo sweet and nice!
    it is horrible first months and need to be aged very well.
    then after some time it becomes odorless or something that smells like bad breath smell.

price of best quality i can get here in bahrain is $220 for a 12 ml pure tincture oil by asaq
    so it is not somthign u can buy for 50 dolla.

Quote Originally Posted by Savitar View Post
    There's a guy on eBay who sells various localities of it, along with deer musk oil and pods, sandalwood, and oud. Definitely gonna throw down on some when I get the cash.
    I've made a tincture of ambergris but I think it needs to cure as it has very little odor. I've bought ambergris oils from other sources and think that some of it at least is authentic. But my own tincture hasn't developed any of the sweetness I associate with ambergris. I guess I'll have to wait six months. My next project is to make ambergris oil either by combining oil (and shaking) with my tincture or directly heating ambergris (very gently) in oil. The reason I want to try this is I think the solubility might be better in oil than it is in alcohol such that I could come up with a more aromatic extract.

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    raw ambergris can not be tabacoo sweet and nice!
    it is horrible first months and need to be aged very well.
    then after some time it becomes odorless or something that smells like bad breath smell.

price of best quality i can get here in bahrain is $220 for a 12 ml pure tincture oil by asaq
    so it is not somthign u can buy for 50 dolla.
    well I didn't even get a ml... I received like a swipe of ambergris in a vial...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Dear Savitar,
    Can you tell me who this guy is? I've been getting ambergris from a place in New Zealand.

Isn't ambergris another term for amber?

Gentlemen - could this be the ambergris? We had a news on local newswire a week ago saying that some strange "stones made of fat" have been washed ashore, and locals are afraid they would melt and stink when the weather gets warmer.

Should I go there and collect my fortune?

Last edited by Russlan; 9th April 2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Currently wearing: Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by snifsnif View Post
    no. ambergris is actually undigested substance in a whale stomach.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post
    Gentlemen - could this be the ambergris? We had a news on local newswire a week ago saying that some strange "stones made of fat" have been washed ashore, and locals are afraid they would melt and stink when the weather gets warmer.

From all I've read, that looks like it.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by snifsnif View Post

This post should help you distinguish.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...ambergris.html

Also note that the vast majority of perfumes claiming ambergris as a note are using ambroxan, just as most don't use real oud. You can read about its use here:

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...nation-on.html
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Ambergris is like a whale's "fur ball" or puke ... the undigested bits of krill and plankton that the whale can't process - passed out to float around the oceans and wash up on the shore. Consequently it absolutely reeks and most finders have said that it smells repulsive in its raw, unprocessed state. In nearly every sample you should (under a magnifier) see tiny bits of shrimp/krill beaks embedded in it. I think it should feel waxy to the touch.

Alternatively, there is a lot of solidified vegetable oil floating about in the ocean, from waste processing and dumped overboard from ships. This stuff washes ashore far more often than ambergris.

If in doubt I'd post some photos and a good description to the "Beachcombing (British Coastline)" Facebook group
    Last edited by Cheburashka; 9th April 2016 at 03:57 PM.
    Currently wearing: Oud Fleur by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Cheburashka View Post
    Ambergris is like a whale's "fur ball" or puke ... the undigested bits of krill and plankton that the whale can't process - spat out to float around the oceans and wash up on the shore. Consequently it absolutely reeks and most finders have said that it smells repulsive in its raw, unprocessed state. In nearly every sample you should (under a magnifier) see tiny bits of shrimp/krill beaks embedded in it. I think it should feel waxy to the touch.

Alternatively, there is a lot of solidified vegetable oil floating about in the ocean, from waste processing and dumped overboard from ships. This stuff washes ashore far more often than ambergris.

If in doubt I'd post some photos and a good description to the "Beachcombing (UK Coastline)" Facebook group
    Excellent suggestion, thank you. I'm in correspondence with local woman right now, she lives in that village (6 hours drive from us), and she says that these stones are no more than solidified grease. But will put all the pictures to that Facebook group anyway and see what guys think. If they say there is a chance that it is amber, I'll take a trip why not, salty air is healthy.
    Last edited by Russlan; 9th April 2016 at 01:42 PM.
    Currently wearing: Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

I'm in correspondence with local woman right now, she lives in that village (6 hours drive from us), and she says that these stones are no more than solidified grease. But will put all the pictures to that Facebook group anyway and see what guys think. If they say there is a chance that it is amber, I'll take a trip why not, salty air is healthy.
    Sounds like it would be worth it to follow up. Good luck.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I read from an essential oil seller something about an amber essential oil resembles the aroma of an ambergris. Maybe it's what I read that created the confusion? Real ambergris was said to be expensive therefore I think the amber essential oil is derived from some tree source.