Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Santal Blush

It looks like there are some samples floating around out there and I'm curious if anyone has tried them. Has anyone smelt it yet? Thoughts, reactions, etc.?

Default Re: Tom Ford Santal Blush

Sniffed it in the store on a card, smelled much like the others in the musk collection, very floral, a good amount of sandalwood, and musk, seemed quite feminine. Probably good for some, not my kind of thing.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Post Re: Tom Ford Santal Blush

Quite feminine, and powdery too. Way similar to the others in the Musk colletion. Tried the Jasmin Rouge and it gave me the most awful sinus headache instantly. However, the Violette (or Violet) Blonde isn't so bad (it's def Not a Black Orchid), but not bad :-)

Basenotes Institution

What stores are you all smelling these at?

Neiman Marcus
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

I got a (purportedly) official sample from a seller on eBay. I'm surprised that more people don't seem to care for Santal Blush, so maybe what I got wasn't Santal Blush at all. In which case, whatever I did get, I want more of.

IMO, it's flashy to the point of being garish but also warmly woodsy. I do _not_ like the TF Musk collection, but I find this one is an exception to that rule. It doesn't churn my stomach as do the others. It'll kind of pop up and kick you in the face at first, just like his other musks, but on me, at least, it settles down and the florals aren't at all prevalent. It ends up being kind of a fruity (ha ha) Australian sandalwood.

FWIW, I only smelled it on a card after smelling lots of other things, so I didn't get more than a very rough impression.
    Splits!

Basenotes Institution

Octavian gave it a BIG thumbs up review, gosh I can't wait to smell this (my sample is enroute to me)

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...fragrance.html
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I purchased a bottle form Neimans and I LOVE it! I had one of the ebay samples (see my other post) and it didnt smell as good when rolled or dabbed on. I decanted it in a spray atomizer and it transformed. Absolutely beautiful!!! I immediately purchased a bottle. It is one of the smoothest and creamiest concoctions in a while. The indian spices (Cumin, Fenugreek, Masala) are so well blended and with a delicate hand. It is what I wanted from Serge Lutens. Serge Lutens took Santal De Mysore a bit too far in the spice direction. this one is gorgeous and definitely not feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Sniffed it in the store on a card, smelled much like the others in the musk collection, very floral, a good amount of sandalwood, and musk, seemed quite feminine.
    Tried this in Nieman Marcus. Same impression.

O.K. but not terribly impressed.
    - Expect the unexpected

A better balanced Santal de Mysore? Sounds promising. And Octavian thinks Santal de Mysore and Sira de Indes are 'hyper realistic' sandalwood interpretations? Don't know whats he smelling but can't agree with him there. And Samsara stopped being 'sensational' (in all its forms) decades ago..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    A better balanced Santal de Mysore? Sounds promising. And Octavian thinks Santal de Mysore and Sira de Indes are 'hyper realistic' sandalwood interpretations? Don't know whats he smelling but can't agree with him there. And Samsara stopped being 'sensational' (in all its forms) decades ago..
    Yep, he missed the boat on that comparison. Blush is absolutely NOTHING like the SL - no way, no how.
    It IS a very good sandalwood though. Not quite as 'nutty' as real Mysore but pretty smooth & buttery.
    It's seriously worth a try.

Sniffed it this past weekend at Neiman when I was picking up Tobacco Vanille, was too flowery for me kind of hit the Champaca absolute vibe but not quite as girly. It's ok but didn't grab my attention. Still haven't had a sniff of Lavender palm yet.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

I agree that Santal Blush shares quite a bit with Lutens Santal de Mysore in its sweet presentation of reconstructed sandalwood, but it stops short of SdM's yo-ho-ho-ness. I've worn it for a few days now. At first, I thought it was the perfect balance of sweet and wood, but my feelings have changed. Where's the nuance? It's just too one dimensional and synthetic. It feels like it could have been originally planned as the next Estée Lauder Private Collection offering, but didn't make the final cut.

My sample should be here soon , really looking forward to trying it out

Smelled it at Neimans, smelled it again a week later at Saks.

The first time, I swooned and began my plotting to buy. Glad I did not have an itchy trigger finger. The second time, I noted that the first half hour still slayed me but then it started smelling.... omg ...... generic. At least too generic for the price point.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I purchased a bottle form Neimans and I LOVE it! I had one of the ebay samples (see my other post) and it didnt smell as good when rolled or dabbed on. I decanted it in a spray atomizer and it transformed. Absolutely beautiful!!! I immediately purchased a bottle. It is one of the smoothest and creamiest concoctions in a while. The indian spices (Cumin, Fenugreek, Masala) are so well blended and with a delicate hand. It is what I wanted from Serge Lutens. Serge Lutens took Santal De Mysore a bit too far in the spice direction. this one is gorgeous and definitely not feminine.
    Count me among the fans for this one. Yann Vasnier did an amazing job. Just beautiful.

Regards,
    Steve

Basenotes Institution

Wore it for the 1st time today, love it. Can't wait to smell it again.

I think it has a LOT in common with Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens and Santal 33 by Le Labo. I can't wait to smell all three side-by-side.

My sample will be gone fast. I will need more quickly. The samples on Ebay are outrageously priced. (sigh)

-- Jack Kerouac

Sampled this today and am very impressed. This is, to my nose, a bit in the same vein as West Side from Bond, a boozy, slightly floral sandalwood. This one is heavier on the sandalwood and instead of just a wine accord, this mixes wine with some other form of liquor I can't put my finger on yet, something in the cognac/whiskey/brandy area. There are some light florals in the background, but very faint. This is a definite winner for me right now, I might just consider setting up a split of this one.
    Splits!

Did I read that it is slanted to the feminine side?

Eh, I don't know. The top is a bit more on the feminine side, but the drydown and bottom are quite heavy on sandalwood, which would skew more to the masculine side. I'd say either sex could pull this off. I did find the Jasmin Rouge to be more floral and feminine however.
    Splits!

too feminine for me, which saddened me. sandalwood is my favorite note and i've reeeeally been into tom ford things of late. i bought a 4ml sample from ebay but had to give it away.

eric b

Eh, I don't know. The top is a bit more on the feminine side, but the drydown and bottom are quite heavy on sandalwood, which would skew more to the masculine side.
    I'd agree with this, tested this on skin this weekend. I did experience some longevity problems with this one though. FYI, there are samples of this at Saks if you're near SF.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I'd agree with this, tested this on skin this weekend. I did experience some longevity problems with this one though. FYI, there are samples of this at Saks if you're near SF.
    Hah, thanks but I'm in Boston, a tad far away, plus the TF associate I've gotten to know a bit wasn't in today, I'll stop by soon and see if she's got any samples of this one. This one is actually lasting quite some time on my skin. Usually one spray on my arm from a tester won't go more than a couple of hours. Three plus hours later, this is going strong. It is a bit more muted than some of the other TF bottles, but it's still quite detectable.
    Splits!

This one is actually lasting quite some time on my skin. Usually one spray on my arm from a tester won't go more than a couple of hours. Three plus hours later, this is going strong. It is a bit more muted than some of the other TF bottles, but it's still quite detectable.
    Maybe my problem is that I was also testing Tobacco Vanille next to it, and in comparison Santal Blush struggled to keep up. I'll test it again tomorrow with my sample.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Maybe my problem is that I was also testing Tobacco Vanille next to it, and in comparison Santal Blush struggled to keep up. I'll test it again tomorrow with my sample.
    yeah, that's definitely not a good side by side comparison. as a point of reference, I sampled this, Jasmin, Arabian Wood, and something else on cards all at once, then sprayed Santal on my arm, and it took a solid 15-20 minutes after I walked out of the store until I was able to get a good whiff of SB. Definitely test it on its own, and most definitely not next to something as strong as TV.
    Splits!

I tried this at the weekend in Harvey Nichols in London. Very pleasant stuff. I actally got quite a figgy note from it, but I could be wrong. I wasn't blown away, but I liked it a lot and it lasted on my skin for a long time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I tried this at the weekend in Harvey Nichols in London. Very pleasant stuff. I actally got quite a figgy note from it, but I could be wrong. I wasn't blown away, but I liked it a lot and it lasted on my skin for a long time.
    How were the woody notes? The fig sounds very TF - I can go for that. But I need some good wood on this for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    How were the woody notes? The fig sounds very TF - I can go for that. But I need some good wood on this for sure!
    hmm, I genuinely didn't think it was too woody. It was like a cross between Gucci Rush for Men and Diptyque Philosykos, but softer and warmer than both. Not as feminine as Jasmin Rouge which I also tried.

Blog Entries

Thanks! That's interesting. Sandalwood is a soft note for me - maybe for you, too. I'll just have to sniff it, I guess. Jasmin Rouge is also of interest to me - I'm big in love with jasmine. Hope that's a good one.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I tried this at the weekend in Harvey Nichols in London. Very pleasant stuff. I actally got quite a figgy note from it, but I could be wrong...
    Yeah the 'figgy' note is what I was describing as coconut, above. Whatever it is, it's fruity and creamy...and there are several times where my nose interprets fig & coconut alike.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wore it for the 1st time today, love it. Can't wait to smell it again.

I think it has a LOT in common with Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens and Santal 33 by Le Labo. I can't wait to smell all three side-by-side.

My sample will be gone fast. I will need more quickly. The samples on Ebay are outrageously priced. (sigh)
    I agree with you. This reminded me of Santal Blanc but more synthetic. By the way, I did not have any longevity problems. My sample is a roll-on and it was quite strong and lasted for hours and hours.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yeah the 'figgy' note is what I was describing as coconut, above. Whatever it is, it's fruity and creamy...and there are several times where my nose interprets fig & coconut alike.
    This is quite possible as quite often the fig accord (especially fig-wood / fig-leaf as apposed to juicy/syrupy ripe fig) is created with a good dollop of coconut in the mix. To add that certain milky-sap "creaminess" required to achieve the general fig scent accord. And it works ! ... ~ So it doesn't surprise me at all you would find the two alike, as there is (usually) coconut in both ! ...

@ ALL

As for Santal Blush , I've now heard it described as so many totally diverse things that to me don't really smell alike, that I'm still totally confused as to what to actually expect ???

SL's "Santal Blanc" & "Santal de Mysore" , "Santal 33" and "Tam Dao" have been the most common comparisons. ... (Then some say it's rather "woody" + masculine, yet others rather "overtly floral" + too femme. With others "too much curry/cumin/spices". ... Now to me these 4 frags + descriptions all smell pretty much distinctly different from one another. Certainly enough so to just confuse me even further about what to actually expect.

So which is it ??? Which of these frags (or even yet some other entirely) is actually the most similar to Santal Blush ?
    Last edited by Sybarite; 10th September 2011 at 02:18 AM.

I can only tell you how it smelled on my skin. There was a distinct fruit in it, which my partner picked up on as "plum," (I'm guessing that this is the fig people are referring to, as I don't think he's ever smelled figs). I really didn't get anything floral out of it, and while I'm terrible at dividing scents into arbitrary gender categories, this isn't one that stood out to me as "I can really only picture this on a man" or "I can really only picture this on a woman." It was definitely sweet on me, and there were definitely spices and the whole way through was a whopping dose of (most likely synthetic) sandalwood. The sandalwood in SB is definitely the Aussie stuff- I don't smell any, even synthetic, Indian sandalwood.

I really have no idea how to describe it other than sweet, fruity, spicy Australian sandalwood, and it's not like anything I've personally smelled before. However, I'm also the first to admit that my smelling experience is that of a novice, so others can probably give you a far better idea than I ever could.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

I just sprayed this on, along with Tom Ford Jasmine Rouge on the other arm. I'm definitely getting a dirty note on me right off the bat, perhaps it's cumin. Jasmin Rouge has a much sweeter opening, very floral.

So far, Santal Blush is pretty musky to me. I'm basically getting a spicy musky sandalwood, with some sweetness as it settles. I'm a novice at this and struggle to pick out individual notes, but I definitely detect a fair amount of pepper and cumin/spice along with the sandalwood. In fact, it somehow reminds me of the opening to Musc Ravageur - maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. Definitely smells very warm to me.

In contrast, Jasmine Rouge smells very clean and floral to me. Much more feminine and sweet to my nose. I don't even know what jasmine smells like on its own, but I'm guessing that is the flower I am really smelling here, and it smells nice.

I layered santal blush and creed's royal oud and it gives of an amazing scent. what could be better than sandalwood and oud wood together. try it if anyone have both fragrances.

Just got it- On wrist was heavy with cedar. It took some time but now has softened to more sandalwood. It is quite the poke in the nose, not unlike lavender palm. Of the woody types, I still like Royal Oud by Creed the best.

I thought it was a dry sandalwood, loud and dry. And with too much cumin coming through for my taste. This is one of the weirder Private Blends, so kudos for doing something a bit different, but it just doesn't suit me. I wore Sandalo by Etro on the other arm, and Santal Blush lasted much longer and had greater sillage, but Sandalo had a more pleasing, sweeter sandalwood. I think I prefer my sandalwood fragrances straight up without too much else in the mix.

This becomes progressively better at every stage of the drydown, IMO. I thought the opening was so-so, but by the time it got to the very dry, cuminy base it was really extraordinary. Also, it lasted forever on me.

Wearing Santal Blush today, some random thoughts:

- Unisex to my nose.
    - The start is dry, but the heart evolves to a creamy sandalwood.
    - Not loud but very tenacious.
    - The other notes listed (spices and florals) are less noticeable to my nose, but I can tell they're there, if that makes sense.
    - Very clean scent, nothing animalic or foody that I can detect.

I like it.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I like it.
    I do also.

This arrived this morning. Blind bought it from Harrods.. £120 wasted for me

I find it way too synthetic. It smells powdery, and as for sandalwood I get absolutely nothing but Cumin, Cumin, Cumin and a little bit of grandma's makeup bag. I would absolutely say this sways toward feminine.

Needless to say, I will let my wife have a sniff and if she doesnt want it, il be posting it up to sell. Will happy let it go for less than retail :-) so if anyone is interested drop me a message!

Plenty of sandalwood in Santal Blush.

Do you have experience with sandalwood? What fragrances, to you, contain copious amounts of sandalwood?

for swap/sale:

I do smell the sandalwood - but I was meaning that the Cumin is way over powering for me.

My favorite sandalwood frag is easily Santal Blanc which someone mentioned earlier.. although again, not one that I would say I can wear :-)

Have you tried Tam Dao or Santal Noble?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    What fragrances, to you, contain copious amounts of sandalwood?
    Actually, virtually none. I believe the Tom Ford one uses the Oz stuff, and it's possible Hermes could source some Mysore but I've been wearing their new one for a bit and don't register any (altho I quite like the composition for what it is). I think Bois des Iles may still have some and Guerlain possibly have a stash but most of what is labelled as sandalwood or santal is not the real thing. I still wonder about Richwood, at that price it better have some discernible Mysore - need to try it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    ...What fragrances, to you, contain copious amounts of sandalwood?
    Vintage Samsara Edt and Parfum and vintage Bois des Iles parfum. Also, I am pretty sure that the vintage Extract of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn that I have also has some.

-- Jack Kerouac

Absolutely on the 80s vintage Crabtree & Evelyn, if only we knew then what we know now. It was just so easy to pick up then.

Santalum Album from profumo.it is great, pure Mysore in quality perfumer's alcohol and not much else. I also think the Amouage Santal Attar is pretty good, I think they have boosted Mysore with some subtle synthetics (santalool?) and one or two things to give it a lift and additional longevity but it smells like pure Mysore from 30 or 40 years ago when it was everywhere.

I think there may be some real Mysore in my 1997 GIT, underneath it all - it's certainly there in Patou pour Homme and other good stuff from that earlier era, although not as obvious, of course when it's part of a more complex composition. After the 80s it seems to have disappeared from the perfumer's pallette much like oakmoss has today.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Actually, virtually none. I believe the Tom Ford one uses the Oz stuff, and it's possible Hermes could source some Mysore but I've been wearing their new one for a bit and don't register any (altho I quite like the composition for what it is). I think Bois des Iles may still have some and Guerlain possibly have a stash but most of what is labelled as sandalwood or santal is not the real thing. I still wonder about Richwood, at that price it better have some discernible Mysore - need to try it.
    You're right. I think no perfumer utilizes real mysore essential oil or even essential oil for the matter. But i had meant that Santal Blish contains good amounts of what we now recognize as sandalwood (regardless of whether Indian or Australian or natural or synthetic).

for swap/sale:

edit - woops. Rules :-)
    Last edited by kyee; 29th December 2011 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyee View Post
    Well, if anyone is up for swapping, I'm happy to. Will trade for just about anything (especially other private blends).

Please let me know if you are wanting this :-)
    Delete this post, it's against forum rules to discuss or offer swaps outside of the marketplace, it'll get this thread locked and/or deleted.
    Splits!

Received a decant today and i very much liked.
    For me it has a strong fig leaf accord, wich resembles coconut sometimes (the same occours if you smell a real fig leaf).

I got some cedar and maybe a musk too. Seems light, but, like others Tom Fords, others can smell from a distance, without slap them in the face.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    ...Seems light, but, like others Tom Fords, others can smell from a distance, without slap them in the face.
    I'm not so sure about that. I was having dinner the other night (with petruccijc from Basenotes) at a lovely restaurant and a very stylish woman walked in and stood about 6-8 feet away from us (waiting for her table) and I could clearly smell she was wearing Santal Blush. It really cuts thru the air, strongly. Which, when you think about it, is how many of Tom Fords oriental fragrances smell.

Go easy with this one guys.

-- Jack Kerouac

Amazing that a such ubiquitous material can disappear during one's lifetime.