Code of Conduct

Default Dad gave me an old bottle of Chanel Antaeus. Is it usable? Vintage? I know nothing. (pics inside)

http://i43.tinypic.com/zuqwj9.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/t7n142.jpg

I don't know how or why my dad has this cologne. Every time I wear a spec of cologne around him, he just says how much he hates any and all types. He must have gotten it in the 80's as a gift or something. The bottle is pretty full, but I don't know anything about this fragrance. My initial impression was pretty negative. Maybe being a 21 year old college senior has something to do with that. I'm just not really used to smelling these type of notes, considering I own mainly sweet and citrus based scents. This stuff appears VERY masculine. But then again my roommate said he enjoyed it a lot, and he's more of a smokey leather kind of cologne wearer. I've seen polo double black and drakkar noir in his collection. I just can't see anyone else around me finding this scent flattering though.

As you can see from the two pictures I've recently started using Terre D'Hermes and cannot get enough of it. I suppose Antaeus is the polar opposite. Still don't know if I could, or ever WOULD rock Antaeus for that matter.

Judging from the pictures, how old is this bottle? Could the scent somehow be diluted considering it's age? I can assure you this bottle NEVER saw any type of sunlight.
    Last edited by Temple12; 17th January 2012 at 11:51 PM.

Default Re: Dad gave me an old bottle of Chanel Antaeus. Is it usable? Vintage? I know nothing. (pics inside

in case you're considering getting rid of it, let me know

Default Re: Dad gave me an old bottle of Chanel Antaeus. Is it usable? Vintage? I know nothing. (pics inside

The ones with the sticker is one of the most vintages possible.
    Its the original formulation, the most rich, dense, strong and natural Antaeus possible. I like it a lot.

Give it 1 or 2 full wears, its rare and fantastic

I don't believe scents get diluted with age. Temperature variability (especially heat) and light will, over time, harm them.

If you don't like your Antaeus there are probably 100 basenoters who would buy it from you.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

If you like this scent, it's a keeper

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    [...]If you don't like your Antaeus there are probably 100 basenoters who would buy it from you.

Keep it and see if you like it as you get older.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I hate to be so obvious... 102!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    If you like this scent, it's a keeper
    Agree.

Blog Entries

Keep it. If you don't like it, keep it in a wooden drawer in a cool room without light and revisit the stuff over time. Antaeus is most beautiful in its original formulation; you've got a gem on your hands.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Wanna sell or trade it?

Honestly though, the other guys are right. It would probably be better to hang on to it for a year or so. You might wind up liking it later, as your tastes may become more refined over time.

Keep it. After some years, your taste will probably change into a more mature elegant refined direction. You already use Terre d`hermès, so why not Antaeus?

I've only just discovered the new one and love it. I can only drool over what you have got in your hands.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    102!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

104 - just bought a 100 ml EDT of the new Antaeus.

Would gladly take it from your hands

Antaeus is one of my all time favourite scents - strong, potent, not feminine like the boring designer frags of the last 10 years, daring, bold & with an attitude !

At 21 you're still a kid inside.
    Mature a bit, return to it when you're 25 and use it or hide it.
    Then get back to it when you're a man at 30 years of age and start enjoying it.

You already use Terre D'Hermès, so you will be ready for Antaeus at some stage
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Vintage Antaeus is a real treasure. This was one of my staples in the 80's/early 90's, until they reformulated it.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Vintage Antaeus is a real treasure. This was one of my staples in the 80's/early 90's, until they reformulated it.
    The ones with sticker are from what era?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    The ones with sticker are from what era?
    I've never seen Antaeus with a paper label before, except for the small 4/19 ml bottles.

Cool Re: Dad gave me an old bottle of Chanel Antaeus. Is it usable? Vintage? I know nothing. (pics inside

NO! It's terrible. It will make you smell like a decrepit old man.
    Send it to me quickly before even just looking at the bottle ages you!
    Yes, I know I'm putting my life at risk by this heroic act, but I have a lot of bad karma to burn off.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Nice one, Dad!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    Keep it. If you don't like it, keep it in a wooden drawer in a cool room without light and revisit the stuff over time. Antaeus is most beautiful in its original formulation; you've got a gem on your hands.
    agree ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    NO! It's terrible. It will make you smell like a decrepit old man.
    Send it to me quickly before even just looking at the bottle ages you!
    Yes, I know I'm putting my life at risk by this heroic act, but I have a lot of bad karma to burn off.
    I understand that the 'false Grail' that causes the Nazi treasure-hunter to age and wither hideously to death in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' was in fact a bottle of vintage Antaeus. Permit me to admire your selfless devotion to the protection of the young in offering to take it off his hands.

What should we start the bid at?

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    What should we start the bid at?
    No need to...hes just going to send it straight to me lol

But for real, keep it, you may like it down the road. Just store it is a dry, dark cool place

It is most probably a bottle from the early to mid '80s.

I recommend keeping it. Your tastes may change over time and you'll be glad you have it. The original Antaeus is so much deeper and more satisfying than the current thin, relatively weak formulation. I have a couple of older bottles (but not as old as yours) which I sparingly use. Yes, it is very masculine, but in a smooth, elegant, unaggressive way, so different than many other '80s fragrances that so strong with lavender, artemisia, patchouly and oakmoss.

He probably sold it 2 weeks ago to the highest bidder....
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I've never seen Antaeus with a paper label before, except for the small 4/19 ml bottles.
    I had a bottle of Egoiste splash with sticker, was in the very first size, 2.5oz. I think the first sizes was 2.5, 4.2 and 6.7oz.
    Very potent and rich.
    I ended up selling, cause i already have tons of vintage egoiste, and in spray bottles.

Are the samples with the sticker the same (the older version) also? I picked up one from a recyle shop a couple weeks back.

Drool, drool, drool! I love Antaeus! Me and the other 100+ BNers. What a great random gift from your Dad. See? We are good for something.

This thread is a hoot. I have my hubby's old bottle. Maybe I'll wear Antaeus for tomorrow's Friday Scent Synch (opposite gender) on the Female Frag Board. And now I know where to auction it off if I need some quick cash.

You guys are a bunch of vulture.....mind due, I can't blame you lol