Code of Conduct

Default Is Carnal Flower as good as it sounds?!?

I've spent the last 20 or so minutes reading about this scent and it sounds unbelievable. There are nothing but glowing reviews and the posts about it are all praise. The weird thing is that people virtually never put it on their list when they name their top however many favorite fragrances. Is this just because not many people have had the chance to try it, or is it because it isn't as good as the reviews and hype would lead me to believe? One way or another I'm absolutely dying to try it. Unfortunately no one has it on their decantables list (if someone can decant this please tell me!!) so it might be hard to try since I already got my Malle samples which I now feel like I've wasted. The idea that they just went out and did what they had to do, making the scent without any regard for cost (this has the highest % of tuberose oil of any scent on the market and overall has an oil % of 25) is just awesome. So let's hear it, is it worth the trouble/price for one to get his/her hands on this baby?

Default Re: Is Carnal Flower as good as it sounds?!?

It is a truly remarkable fragrance, easily in my top 3 women's fragrances. It's longevity is supreme - more than 24 hours on skin, clothes, even after showers. It is a real "Monday morning" fragrance - could cheer you up out of the deepest blue.

That said, I would never like to smell it on a man - ultra feminine in my humble opinion. (But of course if you are comfortable with that, then yes, go for it, it is the highest quality)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I'd have to agree with Ged on this one. I obtained a sample a few weeks ago, and realized it just wasn't for me - way too feminine (and that's saying something, given my sweet tooth). I gave the sample to my mother in the end!

Trebor

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I gave the sample to my mother in the end!

Ouch! ... ;D

I have the big bottle I purchased at the Frederic Malle boutique in Paris. It is #1 on my top five list and it truly is a " beautiful' fragrance. Tuberose absolute, ylang-ylang, jasmine, bergamot, coconut and white musk are the notes that come to mind. I've purchased at least ten other 'niche' fragrances after my trip to Paris and CARNAL FLOWER is still number one my list. I base it on the quality and longevity of the scent. This truly is a Dominique Ropion masterpiece!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I'm in the exact same boat as you Giraffe. I was reading the boards about a week ago now and came across all the raves over it and immediately (upon someone's recommendation) e-mailed Malle for a sample, which is now on the way! I'll let you know how it is, although the "too feminine" comments are a little disturbing. But, as in the other posts, if you have the confidence and ability to wear "feminine" scents then I say go with it. I know I will ... hopefully. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I gave the sample to my mother in the end!

I'm not even going to ask how the sillage is....

Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    e-mailed Malle for a sample, which is now on the way!

How many can you get from them? What email do you use?

I want to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba
    [quote author=Motecuzoma link=1148969473/0#5 date=1149042979]e-mailed Malle for a sample, which is now on the way!

How many can you get from them? *What email do you use? *

I want to try it!
    [/quote]

Go to the almighty google and search "Frederic Malle." The sight is pretty cool and you can check out all their scents. The e-mail is *contact@editionsdeparfums.com * which, when I wrote, got a quick reply by one of their reps. Just ask them that you are very interested in their scents and have heard through the grapevine that they may send samples. All I asked for was "Une Rose" and "Carnal Flower" but who knows, they may send more if you ask nicely enough. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    [quote author=DrBubba link=1148969473/0#7 date=1149044283][quote author=Motecuzoma link=1148969473/0#5 date=1149042979]e-mailed Malle for a sample, which is now on the way!

How many can you get from them? What email do you use?

I want to try it!
    [/quote]

Go to the almighty google and search "Frederic Malle." The sight is pretty cool and you can check out all their scents. The e-mail is contact@editionsdeparfums.com which, when I wrote, got a quick reply by one of their reps. Just ask them that you are very interested in their scents and have heard through the grapevine that they may send samples. All I asked for was "Une Rose" and "Carnal Flower" but who knows, they may send more if you ask nicely enough. Good luck![/quote]

Excellent. I found their site and all, I just wasn't sure if that's where the samples were coming from.

A missive of the electronic variety shall be dispatched post-haste!

Basenotes Institution

Tried it today for the 1st time. Few thoughts:

- Oh, okay - THIS is what tuberose smells like!
    - Flowers, flowers, flowers, flowers - a veritable 'necklace of tuberose' this scent almost got me a little scared that I'd overapplied it. I had to meet up with a morning client first thing and I wondered if it was too much (my boyfriend told me to relax...he liked it...so I relaxed)
    - I get the coconut note, but its way buried beneath the flowers.
    - I would imagine if I walked out into the Miami humidity right now with this on, for more than 5 minutes, it might be cloying
    - I think tuberose smells a LOT like gardenia - am I alone in this observation?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd May 2007 at 04:35 PM.

Its perhaps less feminine than the typical loud tuberose fragrance like Fracas, but I can understand why many men would still consider it effeminate. You have to like tuberose and (to a lesser extent) coconut to enjoy it.

I think its great, and in my opinion this is about as unisex a tuberose fragrance can get (another one might be Tuberose Indiana which is lighter) although I don't wear it much.
    -

Off-Scenter

Yes, Carnal Flower is gorgeous, and yes, as a man I had a hard time wearing it with comfort. But...

...I have learned that light application and a bit of patience as the florals calm down and the sandalwood emerges pays off. After a few minutes a wee dab of Carnal Flower melds into an exotic skin scent on me. In fact, I think the drydown is even somewhat reminiscent of Santal Noble! A bit of heat or exertion actually intensifies the base notes on me, bringing the scent further into the unisex range.

I now own a bottle. It's something I'd wear for romantic interludes, and also (in very small doses) for formal occasions, such as weddings or opera. You need to be extremely secure in your masculinity to wear this, but if you can pull it off you get to enjoy one of the absolute pinnacles of modern perfumery.

I bought a 50 ml bottle in Dallas the end of March, but I sold it away without ever spraying it. For several days I used the samples of it given to me as part of my purchase, and realized I had made a huge mistake. Way too feminine and extremely tenacious (almost to a fault).

No one ever told me it was feminine, but I know when I have crossed a line. This was it.
    Virgin Island Water is about as unisex as I can go and be comfortable. I have a bottle now and enjoy it alot in the Memphis heat.

Carnal Flower is something I would like to smell on another guy out of curiousity, but I could not convince not one of my male friends to give it a go.

I'm pretty fussy about the masculine/feminine issue with personally wearing a fragrance...and I would consider Carnal Flower to be more on the feminine side...however, there's something very animalistic (carnal if you will) about the smell of this...almost a "dirty" factor that makes it okay for the boys in my book. If Angel and Le Male are so popular with guys, I don't know why this one wouldn't be accetable...I find them both to be entirely too feminine (for me anyway...don't throw rocks at me).

The_Giraffe,

Nothing is as good as it sounds until you try it and like it, then it's as good as it sounds. If you don't like tuberose, you won't like this fragrance. If you do, you'll love it, maybe. Send me a PM, and I'll hook you up with a freebie sample.

scentemental

--------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    . . . . I think tuberose smells a LOT like gardenia - am I alone in this observation?
    No, mike, you're not alone. They do smell somewhat similar in nature, but in perfumery, they smell very similar because gardenia and tuberose, not to mention narcissus and jonquil, based fragrances are all built around a handful of identical bases--a collection of certain aroma chemical constituents which they all share in nature-- that are modulated and inflected with other aroma chemical constituents to give different aromatic effects and profiles to the specific floral accord the perfumer is creating. Also, most gardenia bases of the past where built on the base of a tuberose accord with a little modifications, with the discovery of newer aroma chemicals, gardenia fragrances have recently been inflected in more original ways.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 23rd May 2007 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I love it, but also find it very demanding. I have a tiny decant of it and wore the bejeezus out of it for the first week and then told myself, slow down, honey, you will run out and one of those bottles will keep your kids in shoes for a year, whoa nellie!
    So then I made myself stay away from my decant, and now I sort of resent it.
    I want it, but I cant' let myself have it.
    It's a luxurious, exotic, sensual, animalic, gorgeous, buttery, unique creation with tenacious sillage and longevity.
    Let us know what you think when you try it.
    I agree it is perhaps a bit more feminine, but I think Vibert has a very valid point to make about it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Carnal Flower is one of the few Fred Malle's that have sillage and longevity. I think its soapy clean, unique and intriguing. It seemed to me to constantly evolve and I always continually smelled my wrists. However, I too deemed this to be a little too feminine for my own personal tastes.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I'm at the end of my sample and it is amongst the best perfumes I have ever smelt in my life. I think the jasmin makes it definately feminine, but everytime I wear it I just think I'm in the presence of a beautiful woman, I mean when I'm alone, I feel very romantic. I was a bit shocked by the price tag, because at first I thought it was in the same price range as Musc Ravageur and some others, but I truely admit that it is definately worth the price.

It's a masterpiece for sure, but it's a little overly feminine and realistic for my liking.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Normally I can't wear tuberose-- it's just too sweet for me. Carnal Flower is the exception, so I can certainly see a man wearing it.

Its huge , and I love it and wear it often . Yes it is on the feminine side but wear it with steeeeeeeez LOL !!!

My wife's favorite Frederic Malle by far.

I found it way too feminine and do not like the strong tuberose note.

While I felt it would be appropriate on a woman I would still not want to smell it on a woman.

However, if you like tuberose and the notion of feminine/masculine does not enter your olfactory equation then I think it would be an excellent choice as it's obviously of a very high quality with an amazingly natural texture. Crazy sillage and longevity too.

Sur la Plage

IMO it's one of the best fragrances ever created - no other adjectives required/needed.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Yes.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Carnal Flower does not smell like heaven; heaven smells like Carnal Flower.

I tried to love this many times. And i agree it's one of the best tuberose on the market in term of simply tuberose smelling.
    I have an impression of coldness, as if a very skillfull perfectionist maked the most natural tuberose possible without forgetting a note. All the olfactive spectrum of the flower is there, but at the final, this perfume left me cold without really make me dreaming.
    It's maybe my skin who doesn't do justice to this stuff or i can't understand the beauty hidden somewhere. Or i'm simply combled by other tuberoses?
    Btw next time i see it, i will probably try to love it again, i feel like frustrated with this scent

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    IMO it's one of the best fragrances ever created - no other adjectives required/needed.
    Mr. Ford is correct on this oncet again.

Dependent

This stuff is incredible. Super floral feminine, but not heavy at all due to its freshness, more thick. Way too girly for me to wear but I bought a small decant just so I can experience it! No surprise that they used headspace technology (love that name) ... the funky mothball (=indolic) edge is as strong as you could dare make it without ruining the fresh flower effect. Takes me back to Hawaii and wearing a beautiful tuberose lei every time I smell it. Stunning perfumery achievement... almost makes me wish I was a girl. Not really

Possibly the best Malle fragrance.

I can't withstand the loud opening. Perhaps I should give it another shot. In general, I'm a fan of Malle's fragrances.

It is a beautiful fragrance and I wear it with supreme confidence.
    La vita Ŕ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prepare to be disappointed.

I always wondered why this was more expensive than many of his other releases. When I asked the person in the NY boutique, she said the the ingredients sourced to make this were rarer and more expensive thus the difference in price which makes sense.

I obtained a sample a few months ago and I didn't like it at all. I gave the sample to a friend,female, certainly...

I think it is an excellent fragrance, but I think it is a fragrance that belongs to a lovely woman and not to a man. I know some will argue that a fragrance can be worn be both sexes but this one really falls into the realm of what I want a woman to smell like, not a man. Just my opinion of course!

It's way too womanly for me to wear it, yet my straight bf wears it all the time with no problem.

He's clueless about fragrances, but I have boxes of decants and samples and this is one of the one he goes to on his own free will when he wants to smell fresh and clean. So he sits on the couch smelling all Carnal Flower playing video games or he goes to his carpenter job wearing it and he has no idea.

When I wear it, I feel like I've got a funeral parlor attached to my neck ... its so big and weighty and womanly, I just can't take it. But I appreciate it and like it on others.

Thumbs up Re: Is Carnal Flower as good as it sounds?!?

No it is not good...it is FANTASTIC, AMAZING, GLORIOUS.....only FRACAS can compete with CARNAL FLOWER, IMHO
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    This

I find Carnal Flower very wearable. I've had girlfriends say they can't imagine this scent on a woman, and guy friends exclaim how amazing this smells.

In fact, both my best friend and my twin brother will probably end up getting this, much to my chagrin. Currently, it's the one scent I most closely connect with and associate with myself.

This is my favorite fragrance in my wardrobe. If all my fragrances were to disappear forever, this might be the one I miss most.

Cool Re: Is Carnal Flower as good as it sounds?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    It is a truly remarkable fragrance, easily in my top 3 women's fragrances. It's longevity is supreme - more than 24 hours on skin, clothes, even after showers. It is a real "Monday morning" fragrance - could cheer you up out of the deepest blue.

That said, I would never like to smell it on a man - ultra feminine in my humble opinion. (But of course if you are comfortable with that, then yes, go for it, it is the highest quality)

Ged

+1 ON EVERYTHING THAT GED SAID.

Though it is a great name: " Carnal Flower."

Can someone think of a cooler name for a fragrance? Somehow neither "Venus Fly Trap" nor" Eau di Genoa" come remotely close . . .Um . . ." Pink Sugar"--Good God!

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.