Code of Conduct

Question what three samples from the frederi malle house would you choose ?

ok i am going to order 3 samples from this line

im thinking aBout musc ravageur, vetiver extraordinaire

and i don't know if noir epices or bigarade concentree ?

i would appreciate your advice

thanks in advance

Default Re: what three samples from the frederi malle house would you choose ?

Musc Ravageur
    Bois D'Orage
    Geranium Pour Monsieur

Musc Ravageur
    Noir Epices
    Carnal Flower

I took a look at your wardrobe to see what you own/like and make the recommendations with that consideration in mind:

Outrageous
    Musc Ravageur
    Geranium PM or Bigarade Concentree
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Musc Ravageur
    Noir Epices
    French Lover, Portrait of a Lady

Musc Ravageur
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Noir Epices

Musc Ravageur
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    French Lover
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Musc Ravageur
    Carnal Flower
    Dans tes Bras

Musc Ravageur
    Noir Epices
    Carnal Flower

I wouldn't limit myself to only 3.

Noir Epices
    Carnal Flower
    Portrait of a Lady
    VE
    MR
    GpM

for swap/sale:

Hi friend, I know a bit your preferences and I personally think that noir epices will not suit your tastes, neither geranium pour monsieur (these were mine.... unfortunately)

I think musc ravageur, carnal flower, L┤eau d┤hiver or dans tes bras could be the safest options. IMO
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

As hedonist suggests I would go for more than three. Malle's fragrances are diverse so it's actually worth testing all of them.

Seriously, I just made a to try list for you and I've deleted it because I've basically included the whole line.....

French Lover
    Noir Epices
    Geranium Pour Monsieur

Don't get the fascination with Ravageur or Vetiver Extraordinaire

As hedonist suggests I would go for more than three. Malle's fragrances are diverse so it's actually worth testing all of them.

Seriously, I just made a to try list for you and I've deleted it because I've basically included the whole line.....

Musc Ravageur
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Carnal Flower
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Malle is a house that is worth exploring in depth...why don't you pay for an extra shipment and you order 6 samples instead of just 3? I'd go with...

Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Une Fleur De Cassie
    Musc Ravageur
    French Lover (aka Bois D'orange)
    Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Portrait Of A Lady

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

These:

Le Parfum de Therese - Edmond Roudnitska
    Carnal Flower - Dominique Ropion
    En Passant - Olivia Giacobetti

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Musc Ravageur
    Noir Epices
    Carnal Flower
    These.

What I find odd about Malle is that despite (supposedly) giving the perfumers almost free creative reign, most of the scents are very sterile and boring.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Banned

Musc Ravageur
    Portrait of a Lady
    Carnal Flower

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    What I find odd about Malle is that despite (supposedly) giving the perfumers almost free creative reign, most of the scents are very sterile and boring.
    Well we can't generalize as there are a handful of different scents. Maybe a few are boring and sterile but Noir Epices with the orange blast followed by geranium wrapped in spices is not boring. Complex and well crafted IMO.

Then again, ultimately not many can judge a perfume professionally as perception is essentially a personal opinion.

for swap/sale:

I agree, Noir Epices is one of the standouts of the line, and feels very uncharacteristically Malle.

I guess part of it is that I tend to dislike Roucel, Ropion and Ellena compositions. Roucel tends to go way too synthetic and brash (just look at his resume: Nautica Voyage, Rochas Man, New Haarlem, Dans Tes Bras, etc - brash and synthetic). Ropion's scents always have this sort of clinical feel to them - a sterile cleanness behind whatever there is of interest, and Ellena... oh don't even get me started on Ellena!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I agree, Noir Epices is one of the standouts of the line, and feels very uncharacteristically Malle.

I guess part of it is that I tend to dislike Roucel, Ropion and Ellena compositions. Roucel tends to go way too synthetic and brash (just look at his resume: Nautica Voyage, Rochas Man, New Haarlem, Dans Tes Bras, etc - brash and synthetic). Ropion's scents always have this sort of clinical feel to them - a sterile cleanness behind whatever there is of interest, and Ellena... oh don't even get me started on Ellena!
    You reminded me of a conversation I had with a fellow perfumista who adores CdG.
    "Most CdGs are synthetic I said! , how can you enjoy them ?"
    " Quality of synthetic differs from a highly synthesized perfume (not crafted very well) to a well crafted synthetic with high quality (synthetic) ingredients right" was his response.

I deduced that some people tend to enjoy sterile, synthetic and clinical when done passionately not with profit in mind.

for swap/sale:

It's true - and I don't think the Malle scents are bad by any means. I guess what I find most interesting is that the scents seemed (mostly) very.. hmm, 'traditional' in approach given that the perfumers supposedly had free reign. I thought they'd - as a whole - be more abstract or exotic. Noir Epices, Dans Tes Bras and Outrageous all qualify as either abstract or exotic - the rest are just nice takes on traditional themes.

I suppose there's no accounting for taste, and no true objectivity in perfumery or art anyhow. I just wonder if others share my opinion on the Malle line. I know I've seen a similar sentiment expressed by a few members here and there over the years, but I think I (and they) are in the minority.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

SoS, I agree to some extent. For example, as nice as Portrait of a Lady is, and it is pretty nice, and as much as it is high quality and long lasting, its not too unique. I can think of several rose / patchouli / incense perfumes which are also excellent.

for swap/sale:

... oh don't even get me started on Ellena!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Since I have sampled Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices, I would go others. If you have not, I would definitely recommend those, especially MR. Others I have good things about are Vetiver Extrordinaire, French Lover, and Carnal Flower. Did not care for Geranium Pour Monsieur. If you've smelt toothpaste, you've smelt that

definitely try Carnal Flower - never smelled anything like that!

1. Carnal Flower
    2. Noir ╔pices
    3. Outrageous