Code of Conduct

Default SotD Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Good morning,

We were up to 5 inches of fresh snow yesterday (out in the country where I live). It is beautiful, once I have mentally coped with it . It will thaw from today on...

Anyway, WHO needs winter when there is this:

Sous le Vent

Enjoy your Wednesday!

Default Re: SotD Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Hi all. No snow here. I think after laying a decade's worth on us last year we're getting a break from the white stuff.

Giving my samples some attention this week. Ruth Mastenbroek today.

Yes, I too am thankful for the absence of snow (so far). It is pretty to wake up to, but unless there is a really good dumping of the white stuff, it soon turns to grey, icey sludge here in London. No thanks.

Ungaro II today.

Have a great hump-day everyone.

No snow here,just half rainy and cold..warming up in Dior Homme(thankfully,old formula).

Bonjour! Enjoy the day!

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. SotD is PDN New York.

Snow ?. Not a hope at the moment. We've even got crocuses and daffodils blooming two months early here. Mother Nature is going loopy.....

Happy Birthday Odysseusm

Basenotes Plus

Happy birthday, Odysseusm!

SOTD is Etro Ambra. On the sweet side for sure, but the sweetness is cut with a touch of aromatic spice and dusty, dark resins.
    Notes include bergamot, lemon, corander, geranium, patchouli, labdanum, vanilla, musk, amber, styrax, opoponax

Have a lovely day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Good morning! Shall I tell you about the Tubereuse Criminelle?

May I first say that a couple of weeks ago I would have told you that I don't care for Tubereuse fragrances, or any other heady, indolic type perfumes. For example I really don't like Fracas. I find it stodgy and oppressive. Just personal taste. I received TC as a gift.

In my view there are two ways to interpret the opening of TC. Whether it is actually camphor, menthol, wintergreen, eucalyptus, as often quoted, I couldn't say but there is certainly something that registers in that range. I have seen it said that it smells like Dettol or TCP. I think that it is closest to Germolene. If you are familiar with Germolene you are with me, if not, stick with a disinfectant smell.

Or is it.....is it really? There is another way to interpret this extraordinary opening. Have you ever had a pot of hyacinth bulbs in your house, or in your garden, a vase of longiflora lillies maybe, some jasmine? Have you ever smelled them when they are at their most fragrant. I once had a pot of tiny narcissi which filled a whole room with a heady, almost overwhelming, fragrance. At their most redolent these flowers are approaching the boundary of what could be considered to be pleasantly floral. On the breeze they are intoxicatingly lovely. Close up they are pungent and challenging. We can read the opening of Tubereuse Criminelle in this way.

Sugandaraja describes it as having "a lively cooling sharpness". Yes, that is what I experience, not gasoline or rubber. The first time, one almost recoils in surprise. Very soon, you will come to crave it.

I just know that many of you will be thinking Indoles, why hasn't she mentioned indoles? Well, I have, but just not by name. I don't like the association of indoles and feces. There is no fecal aspect to this fragrance. When the flowers come they are stunning. They are not pretty flowers. A friend of mine swears that at night, longiflora lillies, cut and in vases, turn their heads and spit. Yes, these flowers are of that ilk. Intoxicating, narcotic, but not stodgy. They are cut with that cooling menthol effect. The mid development and the drydown are very closely intermingled. I have never smelled a real Tuberose. I can only tell you that TC smells something like a hyper realistic bouquet of hyacinth, jasmine, lily, gardenia, perhaps even a little carnation, with some ultraviolet light thrown in. But then, finally, as if they have spent themselves, a somehow appropriate, softer, creamier, floral and vanillic ending brings the show to a much quieter close.

Apologies for the loooong post but I really wanted to talk about this, and it is what we are here for after all. If anyone who can't get access to TC would like to try some, just PM me. I would be delighted.
    Last edited by Foustie; 18th January 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Patricia de Nicolaï ' s

NICOLAÏ POUR HOMME

Parfums de Nicolaï
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Sur la Plage

Good morning! My SOTD is Parfumerie Generale Aomassai.

Notes include caramel, toasted hazelnuts, licorice, bitter orange, spices, wenge wood, vetiver, balsam wood, incense, dried grasses and resins.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Our snow came and is staying, expecting some more this coming Friday. Everything seems clean, trim and polished.

Mr.T and I improved our quality of living by buying a King-sized mattress yesterday (and a sheet set to go with it). Can't get enough of it, honestly. No comparison with our former arrangement.

Rouge de Hermes.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

No real amount of snow here either, just a dusting here and there. Tonight it's suppose to get down to -24F, with wind chills to -45F, I'd rather have snow than these temps.

Happy Birthday, Odysseusm!!

My SotD is Chanel Cuir de Russie, notes are mandarin, bergamot, balsams, spice bush, incense, cade wood, rose, jasmine and ylang ylang, (BN). Didn't care for this one at first, but it's really growing on me, now it's one of my favorites.

Have a great day, everyone!!
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Hello all. SL Cuir Mauresque
    DONNA

Kenzo Julgle L'Elephant

Decided to restart testing some of the samples I'm drowning in and made the mistake of grabbing Moschino's Glamour. Ugh...blech. Cloying doesn't begin to describe it's tenaciousness on my skin. Washing with rosemary/peppermint soap doesn't even kill it. Spritzing myself heavily with Vol de Nuit (ahhh...heavenly) to try to improve my morning.

Foustie, I finally got my hands on a small decant of TC and reading your post makes me want to pull it out and spritz immediately! Maybe after the VdN/Glamour (shudder) wears off.

Amouage Jubilation XXV

Reading about all this rain and snow made me reach for a bottle of sunshine - Fendi Theorema Esprit d'Ete. Sunshine and in the high 50s here.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal this morning.

Every day getting a few minutes longer daylight. Looking forward to max daylight hours around June 21.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Today I pulled out the Loulou. It is a delicious, loud fragrance and I enjoy it occasionally.

Beautiful picture, Jon! You come up with some good ones.

SOTD is Elie Saab Le Parfum

Aramis Havana

Dior - Mitzah

Happy Birthday, Odysseusm!!
    I hope you are enjoying your special day.

No snow here yet either, yay! Yesterday it was very mild and in the 60s F, and it turned out sunny not rainy as predicted. It was such a beautiful day. Today is cold again. Reprieve over.

Foustie, what a lovely review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of Tubereuse Criminelle this morning. I enjoyed reading your post this morning (actually, I always enjoy your posts), and I can almost smell along with you.

I can’t decide what fragrance to wear. I go zigging and zagging from one direction to another. I’m seriously backed up on samples and decants that I want to take my time with. Basenoters have been very generous in sending me frags to try that I otherwise would NOT have the opportunity to sample here in Virginia, not to mention my NOLA sample raid haul that I haven't gotten through yet. I have been neglecting some full bottles, too, that I would just like to use up and enjoy...so that I can move on. I also need to take some time out to minimize, declutter, organize. And now this morning I have this mood on me to revel in cheap & cheery bath & body stuff.

So, thus far today it’s Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena for me. I guess I need a shot of summer. A little holiday. A day at the beach with a tropical drink...even if it's only in my imagination.

I am wearing Clinique Wrappings for the first time today and I have already received two compliments on it from female coworkers, if even females make positive remarks I think that is a good sign)). I was not so sure this fragrance would get that many compliments as it is quite unique and definitely not mainstream but on the other hand I thought that those really into fragrance would appreciate something a little different.

Still no snow here, all winter nada, very very odd, I am afraid that we will get it in March, I would rather get snow now than when I really look forward to springtime.

A very light application of Mure Et Musc today. Staying in professional mindset. Good news is i am one of two "finalists" at job I interviewed for. Will do a final interview next week, sort of wishing I could just go in and kick the other person's, um, you know and have done with it! I want the job!

Basenotes Institution

Quand Vient la Pluie by Guerlain

Happy Happy Birthday to Ody!!!
    Foustie - I enjoyed your little story on tuberose and Tubereuse Criminelle, which I love to pieces! You **have** to smell real tuberose flowers, it is an experience you will never forget. Sit them in a vase in your house, and allow them to come to full bloom, and the smell is...almost like an animal. Very carnal, indeed.
    TWolf - You and Mr. Wolf enjoy your new mattress. Ray and I are both 'mattress snobs' and we've had king beds for years now. They're totally worth it.
    Gosh I wish there was snow here. I had the air conditioner on in my car, on the way into work, it was so hot/humid. Doesn't feel like Winter at all.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Happy Birthday Odysseum!

Congrats to Twolf and Mr. T on the new bed!

I'm wearing C&E Evelyn today, and will soon be heading over to Mom's to take her down to the auditorium where they will be showing a DVD of The Help. (Excellent movie, Oscar-worthy-- see if if you haven't yet!)

Wearing Givenchy Oblique Rewind today.

Happy Birthday ODYSSEUSM

Etienne Aigner's Private Number :Private Number by Etienne Aigner is a Floral Fruity fragrance for women. Private Number was launched in 1991. Top notes are green notes, mandarin orange, tarragon, galbanum, peach and hiacynth; middle notes are mignonette, honey, carnation, iris, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and narcissus; base notes are tonka bean, amber, musk, vanilla, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Foustie. Loved reading your post.

Inspired by a conversation with Larimar, I'm wearing Guerlain's Eau du Coq tonight.

Happy Birthday Odysseum!
    Best to all.

Wore Vetiver Oriental on this chilled evening (65F).

Happy birthday Odysseum !

Foustie, I've been waiting for your TC assessment.
    I'm glad you appreciate it. Like you, I am not very fond of heady white flowers but TC is a work of art.

Kiliwia, my goodness. Do stay warm.

Twolf, wide mattresses are just delightful.
    My wife and I are both rather tall, im 6' and Wifey is 5'8.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Happy Bithday to the head Cone Head, ODY

SOTD is Aimez- Moi by Caron.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Ghost Man.

La Tulipe--Byredo

Blog Entries

Happy Birthday, Odysseum!

Basenotes Plus

Happy Birthday to my dear husband and to Odysseusm!

Wearing Guerlain's Winter Delice & TDC's Rose Poivree.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Happy birthday, Odysseusm!

Very cold here today!

sotd is Good Life - Davidoff from my very old bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Good morning! Shall I tell you about the Tubereuse Criminelle?

May I first say that a couple of weeks ago I would have told you that I don't care for Tubereuse fragrances, or any other heady, indolic type perfumes. For example I really don't like Fracas. I find it stodgy and oppressive. Just personal taste. I received TC as a gift.

In my view there are two ways to interpret the opening of TC. Whether it is actually camphor, menthol, wintergreen, eucalyptus, as often quoted, I couldn't say but there is certainly something that registers in that range. I have seen it said that it smells like Dettol or TCP. I think that it is closest to Germolene. If you are familiar with Germolene you are with me, if not, stick with a disinfectant smell.

Or is it.....is it really? There is another way to interpret this extraordinary opening. Have you ever had a pot of hyacinth bulbs in your house, or in your garden, a vase of longiflora lillies maybe, some jasmine? Have you ever smelled them when they are at their most fragrant. I once had a pot of tiny narcissi which filled a whole room with a heady, almost overwhelming, fragrance. At their most redolent these flowers are approaching the boundary of what could be considered to be pleasantly floral. On the breeze they are intoxicatingly lovely. Close up they are pungent and challenging. We can read the opening of Tubereuse Criminelle in this way.

Sugandaraja describes it as having "a lively cooling sharpness". Yes, that is what I experience, not gasoline or rubber. The first time, one almost recoils in surprise. Very soon, you will come to crave it.

I just know that many of you will be thinking Indoles, why hasn't she mentioned indoles? Well, I have, but just not by name. I don't like the association of indoles and feces. There is no fecal aspect to this fragrance. When the flowers come they are stunning. They are not pretty flowers. A friend of mine swears that at night, longiflora lillies, cut and in vases, turn their heads and spit. Yes, these flowers are of that ilk. Intoxicating, narcotic, but not stodgy. They are cut with that cooling menthol effect. The mid development and the drydown are very closely intermingled. I have never smelled a real Tuberose. I can only tell you that TC smells something like a hyper realistic bouquet of hyacinth, jasmine, lily, gardenia, perhaps even a little carnation, with some ultraviolet light thrown in. But then, finally, as if they have spent themselves, a somehow appropriate, softer, creamier, floral and vanillic ending brings the show to a much quieter close.

Apologies for the loooong post but I really wanted to talk about this, and it is what we are here for after all. If anyone who can't get access to TC would like to try some, just PM me. I would be delighted.
    A lovely review! Great reading... Happy to see a great love of mine getting kudos.

Wow, thanks everybody for the lovely wishes and delicious-looking conehead cakes! Yay! Much enjoyed and appreciated.
    MY SotD is an initial layer of Hermessence Vetiver Tonka followed by Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Odysseusm!

Congrats on the new, comfy, and big mattress, Twolf!

I'm in 31 Rue Cambon on a VERY snowy day. Take care, all.

Uomo? Moschino

Another long day at work because I'm on call. But, hey! my vacation is only 16 days away! I almost feel like I took a little mental vacation today by wearing Eau des Merveilles. It takes me away to a deserted beach. I swim and sun and repeat. It's beach-y smelling without being tropical.

Twolf, do you mind me asking what kind of mattress you bought? Hubby and I are thinking of a new king-sized mattress. I think I want a Tempur Pedic?

Happy birthday, Ody!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Odysseusm!!!
    Endymion by Penhaligon's!!!
    Gary

I had my first 20/20/20 class tonight. 20 minutes cardio/20 minutes strength training (weights)/20 minutes core (abdomonals). Oh. my. lord. That trainer done beat me up. I'm beat.

I'm wearing a dab of a green cedar oil that I sometimes wear for comfort and warmth. It has turned cold again. Brrrr!!! And I have the tiniest dab on one hand of Montale's Rose Musk, which is not for me. Why do I pick up this acrid urinous note in some fragrances and never see anybody else comment on that? I smell a lovely clean rose on top of ammonia. It is so off putting. It singes my nose hairs. Does anybody else ever get that?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Salvador Dali Le Roy Soleil Homme tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

1 spray of Cacharel LouLou

Happy Birthday Odysseum
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

AM: A la Nuit by Serge Lutens
    PM: J'Adore L'Absolu by Christian Dior