Code of Conduct

Default If you lived in Hell...

...like I do, which fragrance would you buy? Look, I'm a 26 years old guy living in a very hot city. While I'm not an enthusiast looking for the newest masterpiece, I don't want to pay $80 for a piece of junk.

So I'm after a mature, not necessarily aquatic, mainstream or not, super fresh scent. One available at Sephora; I guess that narrows my options. Finally, it's gonna be a blind buy, that's why I decided to open the thread.

What do you recommend people?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: If you lived in Hell...

Chanel No 19 or Prada Infusion d'Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Which city?
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Fresh, Sephora, blind buy. I'd go with Acqua di Gio or Cool Water.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppedGarlic View Post
    Fresh, Sephora, blind buy. I'd go with Acqua di Gio or Cool Water.
    Yup - either one of these.

Monterrey, México. Big, hot city. I guess No. 19 will be hard to find in Texas Valley, thanks tott. I was thinking about the likes of Blue de Chanel, Bvlgari Aqua, or Acqua di Gio, but everyone here keeps bashing them!

Post Thanks / Like

Bvlgari Aqua is nice. As is Aqva Marine. Azzaro Chrome, perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fbellushi View Post
    Monterrey, México. Big, hot city. I guess No. 19 will be hard to find in Texas Valley, thanks tott. I was thinking about the likes of Blue de Chanel, Bvlgari Aqua, or Acqua di Gio, but everyone here keeps bashing them!
    If you like them - wear them!

I personally would enjoy Diptyque's Offresia if faced with unrelenting heat. But, temperatures seem to bother me less than other people.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Mugler Cologne
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Boss Elements Aqua

Post Thanks / Like

Lalique White
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne
    Last edited by GuitarMan; 18th January 2012 at 02:28 PM.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

versace pour homme

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Water
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Allure Homme
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Laura Tonatto Iss
    Atelier Trefle Pur

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo - Initially, one is treated to a biting and sparkling blast of yuzo, somewhere between a grapefruit and a mandarin orange, with its lemon-like tangy and floral aspects. This sharp and bright citrus slowly pairs with ho leaf, which tinges the pseudo-lemon with its spicy and sweet, floral and rosewood overtones, yielding an almost lemon, furniture polish accord, morphing the stark citrus into a luscious smoothness. The refreshing, watery middle beckons. Here, in the heart, the pseudo-lemon is immersed in a bath of lotus flower, with its lovely, water lily greenness with a hint of mint, sharp and fresh ozone notes, as well as refreshful aquatic notes, with its faint, marine and mint accord, and steeps into a soothing lemonade. Pleasant white musk usurps the cool blend into the awaiting base, imparting its sweet and floral facets, and its cohort, green pepper, adds a kiss of earthiness before meandering to the light and airy drydown. A wonderful fragrance to be turned to in the heat of the summer, this fresh and crisp composition is a vibrant, green, lemony and woody scent, and has average longevity and projection. In the sweaty dog days of the summer, you need this!

D&G Light Blue, Versace Eau Fraiche

I'd go with Bleu de Chanel, but why does it have to be a blind buy if you're getting it at Sephora? Don't they have testers?

Post Thanks / Like

Cravache by Robert Piguet and Blenheim Boutique do wonders in warmer climates.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd go with Bleu de Chanel, but why does it have to be a blind buy if you're getting it at Sephora? Don't they have testers?
    Hi. My girlfriend will buy it in Texas Valley, but I don't trust her taste since she's into Britney Spears, Paris Hilton type of fragrances. Plus, there are no decent shops in my town, most of the products are cheap knockoffs. So, it's a blind buy.

Is Bleu's longevity good at all?

Quote Originally Posted by fbellushi View Post
    Hi. My girlfriend will buy it in Texas Valley, but I don't trust her taste since she's into Britney Spears, Paris Hilton type of fragrances. Plus, there are no decent shops in my town, most of the products are cheap knockoffs. So, it's a blind buy.

Is Bleu's longevity good at all?
    Ah... I see. Bleu lasts all day on me, and several of the other guys here who use it have had the same results. It's the pinnacle of the fresh, sporty type of fragrance imo, very good quality of ingredients and nicely blended. Of course, blind buys are always a gamble, so I can't guarantee it will work for you, but it's a very nice cologne and many people (in the real world, not basenotes) seem to admire it.

Why has no one mentioned any citrus scents? To me they are the most refreshing in hot weather. Sephora (at least the location in Las Vegas last time I was there) had started to carry some Hermés. Terre d'Hermés is great, very fresh and green. If you like grapefruit, Eau de Pamplemousse Rose is nice. Eau d'Orange Verte or the Concentré d'Orange Vert are also nice. I believe they have a limited range from Guerlain as well. Eau de Guerlain is a classic Eau de Cologne that's wonderfully refreshing. They might carry it, or Eau de Cologne Imperiale, which has more lime. Chanel Pour Monsieur is also a great citrus. Surprisingly, Armani Code Sport is actually quite good, it has a natural-smelling lemon note. Clinique Happy for Men is cheering in muggy weather, it was a favorite of a Mexican friend of mine. Versace L'Homme is good too.

Any of these would be far better than Cool Water, Chanel Bleu, Acqua di Gio or God forbid, D&G Light Blue or Versace Man Eau Fraiche. Do you really really really want to smell like everyone else or do you want to smell good? My recommendations, in order:

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Terre d'Hermes
    Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte/Concentré d'Orange Verte
    Versace L'Homme
    Armani Code Sport
    Clinique Happy for Men
    Eau de Guerlain
    Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale

I put the Guerlains at the bottom because, although both really nice, their longevity isn't so great, being Eaux de Colognes. If you only have one bottle, get Chanel Pour Monsieur: mature and super-fresh. Mature means you don't smell like every sixteen-year-old male in the world.

I also agree with tott's Chanel No. 19 and Prada Infusion d'Homme and petruccijc's Mugler Cologne. I haven't smelled either of these last two, but from what I hear, they would fit your requirements. Sephora should have everything I've listed.
    Last edited by professor goggles; 19th January 2012 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Azzaro Chrome, Dali's Laguna and Diesel Plus Plus - in that order - are the hot and humid weather scents I favour most, as they very rarely let me down in comparison to other scents.
    Regards,
    Renato

Mature, fresh, blind buy, Sephora... I concur with Bleu de Chanel.

Thanks people. So many suggestions, some love one fragrance, some hate it. Hard choice.

For me it's longevity, projection and freshness over uber-originality.

The Prada, the Versace, the Chanels, do they have longevity or projection issues? I guess it kinda depends on the skin, but I mean, general, everyone agrees the product is crap issues.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont know about the rest but Chanels do last quite awhile on me. At least for Allure Homme and Allure Homme Sport I live in Singapore and the weather is almost like 30-34deg cel. So with that kind of weather, it manage to last around 8 hours? (including the time it became a skin scent)
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by professor goggles View Post
    Why has no one mentioned any citrus scents?
    Laura Tonatto Iss is actually a much lighter, crisper scent than any of the ones you listed there.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dior homme sport, it's an awesome hot weather frag. Ladies love it and it's really refreshing.

Post Thanks / Like

If I lived in Hell I would wear Kouros.

Post Thanks / Like

sulfur.
    ha ha ... sorry
    I'd go with my new best friend Hermes Eau de Gentiane.
    But - sure - YSL Kouros, and Acqua di Gio fine (I note this last is quite reasonably priced at Sephora in the splash-on)...
    great thread - hi
    Last edited by Rough/Smooth; 20th January 2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: 2 many emoticons
    "This cigar smells like white pepper as I take it out of its cedar box... hints of cedar and redwood and lots of tobacco spice. Full bodied with loads flavor. Perfect draw. Long and rich."

James Suckling (on a 1993 Partagas Serie D No.4 from Cuba).

I've only wore Bleu de Chanel in cold weather so far and the longevity is really good. I'd imagine it is much better in hot weather.

Dior Homme Sport is really good too. It's ginger heavy with some lemon. Not a typical sport fragrance, imo.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Mugler Cologne. This is amazingly refreshing in hot weather and just smells very clean (even through the drydown). Another one I would recommend along the same line is Chanel's Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport (the cologne version in the clear bottle). This is a very refreshing and amazing lemon fragrance with a clean soapy drydown that works wonders in the heat. And even though it doesn't get that much love here, it's my favorite from the Allure line.

Also, +1 for Armani Sport Code. (another one that gets no love here because of biases against sport fragrances, but its really a nice fresh scent). Others that work wonderfully in the heat include YSL Live Jazz, and Burberry Sport.