Code of Conduct

Thread: Black Orchid

Default Black Orchid

Well a fellow BNer and I were discussing frags and BO came up in conversation and he mentioned how much he loves this one, so i happen to be at Saks tonight and its been a while since i've gone sniffing at any store since everything there I either own or have tried already. So i give this a few sprays and WOW, this is some sexy stuff! Yes, it does come of fem, but i think a guy can pull it off, certain type of guy.

It's crazy how our taste change, especially wiht this hobby, i sniffed this about a year ago when i first got into frags and i literally wanted to smack the SA for even brining this near my nose lol And now i'm really considering adding it to the collection.

My only concern i guess you could say is i just purchased Noir de Noir which i love and a masterpeice in my eyes. I'm not saying these two frags are the same, but do you feel it may be a bit redundant to have both in the collection. I would assume they would serve the same purpose for me so not sure if its good buy. I honestly haven't evne priced out BO, since i did not check so maybe it can be had online for cheaper than retail price.

How many men actually own this, and what type of feedback do you get from others?

I also tested Westside from Bond, since i've heard a lot about this one..smellls nice but a bit weak on my skin, i expected it to be a bit heavier/longer lasting, but then again it may not be fair to judge it becuase don't matter where i place my hand Black Orchi is so strong its all i smell!

Thanks Scentdawg for bringing this one to my attention, i was very quick to dismiss it at first.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Black Orchid

Get rid of Noir de Noir and buy Black Orchid
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Get rid of Noir de Noir and buy Black Orchid
    Mike..pump the breaks...get rid of NdN...its one of my gems in my wardrobe! Are you saying having both may be too similiar?

I tried it and gave my bottle away..... not for me.

Black Orchid is beautiful on a man. My Nordstrom's carries it with mens fragrances too. It is a masterpiece! I have a 10ml decant that is almost gone so I ration it and I am looking for a big bottle at a great price.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I don't respond to Black Orchid. I'll pass.

Black Orchid used to be my signature scent for a good 8 months. I finished two bottles of it.
    But its different than NdN. They're just too different to be compared. So no, having them both in your wardrobe will not yield any overlap.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'll have to give it another wearing to be totally sure, but the enduring impression from trying Black Orchid was that it's not nearly as unisex as I had hoped. Something about it seems blatantly feminine to me, in a very synthetic "perfumy" way. I wasn't particularly attracted to the weird effect of stewed fruits and flowers under a glaze of lipstick.

I own BO. I use it for clubbing. Potent stuff....cuts through the smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB
    I'll have to give it another wearing to be totally sure, but the enduring impression from trying Black Orchid was that it's not nearly as unisex as I had hoped. Something about it seems blatantly feminine to me, in a very synthetic "perfumy" way. I wasn't particularly attracted to the weird effect of stewed fruits and flowers under a glaze of lipstick.
    Agreed, and let's all stop kidding ourselves. Black Orchid is very much in that Coco Mademoiselle/CK Euphoria "sweet fruity powdery musky" vein, which smacks of retro feminine glamour, not masculine in the least. "But it has patchouli!" they all cry, as if patchouli is strictly a masculine note and hasn't been a key ingredient in women's fragrances since the dawn of perfumery. Sorry, I'm not buying it. Put all the patchouli, musk, cedar, or vetiver you want in the base, butch it up with spices and herbs, make it weigh a ton and broadcast for miles...but it still smells like women's perfume. If that's your bag, hey, go nuts! I own and wear several fragrances marketed to women; I won't throw stones. But let's not pretend that Black Orchid is at all "masculine" just because it's woody and dark. The nose doesn't lie, and this nose detects in Black Orchid the scent of WOMAN.

[Vaguely closed-minded rant over.]

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Mike..pump the breaks...get rid of NdN...its one of my gems in my wardrobe! Are you saying having both may be too similiar?
    Oh if you love Noir de Noir, by all means keep it (I never liked it myself). I enjoy Black Orchid much more.

They are not similar.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've had a bottle for years, since it first came out. I've never really taken to it, so I recently gave it to my girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    I tried it and gave my bottle away..... not for me.
    Tried it once in the store and didn't like it. Also not for me
    Last edited by hednic; 19th January 2012 at 06:14 AM.

Banned

oh please ... it's an extraordinary fragrance that can be worn confidently by a man or, perhaps, only by a confidently masculine man ...

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    oh please ... it's an extraordinary fragrance that can be worn confidently by a man or, perhaps, only by a confidently masculine man ...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The best from Tom Ford, and one of the best fragrances from the last decade (if not the best)

I can appreciate it as a potent, characterful and eyebrow-raising scent but found it a bit OTT for me to wear comfortably.

Sound Scents

Way too floral for me to wear. I tried it and didn't like it at all (just not a fan of overtly floral scents with the exception of some rose based scents). That said, any fragrance can be worn by anyone... I know I could never pull it off, but if someone can, more power to 'em I say.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Didn't like it at first, but did recognize its potential, so I bought a bottle. Great for Clubbin'.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    The best from Tom Ford, and one of the best fragrances from the last decade (if not the best)
    + 1
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ex-gf owned it and I wore it sometimes. I quite liked it but not sure if I'd wear it often if it was in my wardrobe.

I quite like BO, and nearly bought a bottle after using up my decant, but something about it wears me out after a few hours. After several hours I would find I wasn't enjoying the heaviness of the scent anymore, so I couldn't justify buying a full bottle of it.

I have both, and Black Orchid is in a different league.

It's alright. Just a little bit too sweet for me (just a very little).

One thing i love is its potency, not many frags out there that i've tried that open this strong and last forever! Well at least not many frags that i enjoy lol

Makes me nauseous. Its not far off bug spray. In fact when I wore it, I didnt see one fly around me !

Do they hover around you when you don't wear fragrances?

Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't mean to give the impression that it's a bad scent, just that I thought it wasn't really unisex, more feminine to my nose.

Actually, of all the Tom Ford scents I've tried, I think White Patchouli beats Black Orchid hands down. No contest there. White Patchouli also seemed very unisex.