Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's English Fern vs Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge

Interested in hearing some views as to your preference between the above two.

I have tried both, but not concurrently...

Default Re: Penhaligon's English Fern vs Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge

These are very different to my nose. English Fern is very very green with geranium and cloves and it was like a soapy citrus blast to the senses and was bracing in the opening. Whilst O&C is a minty lavender that has a herbal feeling in the drydown due to the oakmoss. Both do not last long but O&C lasts longer than English fern and I like it more out of the two.

Not even remotely similar enough to do a comparison IMHO.

Very different, If I was buying one it'd be Oxford and Cambridge.

Of the two:Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge, but not big on either.

Thanks for the responses / comments so far.

My reason for comparing these two isn't so much because I think they smell similar (which I agree they don't, particularly), but because they share a number of common notes (i.e. prominent lavender, oakmoss, sandalwood) and appear to be intended to evoke similar images of the English countryside.

Already all their fragrances like each other.Penhaligon's and CS frags should wear on summer-spring and after shower,daily using fragrances are all of them.It must be similar English style;very flowerly and using unisex scents,but little bit feminen, lool

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    These are very different to my nose. English Fern is very very green with geranium and cloves and it was like a soapy citrus blast to the senses and was bracing in the opening. Whilst O&C is a minty lavender that has a herbal feeling in the drydown due to the oakmoss.
    This is close to my experience with these.

I like both, but prefer O&C.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    These are very different to my nose. English Fern is very very green with geranium and cloves and it was like a soapy citrus blast to the senses and was bracing in the opening. Whilst O&C is a minty lavender that has a herbal feeling in the drydown due to the oakmoss. Both do not last long but O&C lasts longer than English fern and I like it more out of the two.
    This states it very well. EF is very green, a spicy-green sort of scent. O&C is cooler with its prominent mint/rosemary note and a bracingly-cool lavender. Both are very "British"/old-school in style, and both have a nice mossy cushion. But they are rather different in presentation.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

The Penhaligon's feels much more like a fougere, and because of this it is more structured, masculine and conservative. The C&S is much more about the lavender, front and center, with that wonderful cooling mint/aromatic accord...less structured, totally unisex, casual and aroma-therapeutic.

I love both and hope to own large decants of them one of these days.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Odd comparison indeed. Yes they have similar notes, but in the end English Fern is soapy fougére where as O&C is all about herbal lavender. On the other hand both claim to be, and are traditional English scents. (I prefere the word English here over British.) I personally would compare O&C to Blennheim Bouquet because they both have strong Edwardian feel about them, although O&C is little less aristocratic and even slightly playful.

To my nose English Fern really isn't what it should be: Country elegance of Harris Tweed and fox hunting. (I think some people here might disagree.) Only thing I can think of when smelling it is Finnish pine soap used for washing carpets. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not for me.

BTW I'm talking about the reformulated EF not the vintage version.