Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Harrods Swarovski Oud by Bond, what can I expect ?

I really know nothing about this frag and have a split coming. First off, is there any Oud in this one ? Ive only read a comparison to Tom Ford's Oud Wood which I happen to like but, not from a Basenoter. The only thing I could find was a note breakdown of: black pepper, cumin middle: amber and myrrh Base: Smoky oud and fresh green vetiver. This sounds like it will right up my alley. Anyone have this or wear it ? I just keep hearing good things about it and its the most expensive blind buy ive made. Hoping for something spectacular. New York Oud is nice but Im not compelled to buy this one. Any additional thoughts on this beast ?

Default Re: Harrods Swarovski Oud by Bond, what can I expect ?

A dark and slightly barnyard opening. It's got a very deep seated green element and a good dose of a dark leather note (think of the dark element of say, Pure Oud or Al Oudh or, less accurately, Encre Noire). Almost inky. There's something in here - maybe a dash of iso e super or hedione or something - that adds a bit of lift to the scent - just enough to keep it from feeling overly dense and weighted down.

This is one of the best ouds on the market. If you've tried Pure Oud, imagine something a bit less woody and without the slightly odd notes (that some describe as styrofoam-esque), but with more green elements and maybe even some dark purple elements (I think I detect a bit of lavender absolute in this). It is singularly odd as it is earthy and yet maintains a regal air about it, all of that along with animalic undertones.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Banned

see http://www.basenotes.net/threads/251...rods-Swarovski and the following quote within by mikeperez:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have been wearing this more and more, in fact I took my large decant with me to New York last weekend and ended up wearing it a bunch of times, in the cool weather there.

I love it. It is dry, dry, dry and that sour/skanky oud note is mixed wonderfully with just a touch of spice and wood. It gives off just enough scent (even hours after application) so that people notice it (I got a couple of compliments when I wore it) but not too much to weird out people with the smell of oud.

It is not a smooth fragrance, yet the intrinsic harshness of it is distilled in a soft way (hope that makes sense).

It is fast becoming my new go-to-oud scent, much more so than my Black Aoud which sometimes can overstay it's welcome. But don't let it fool you. Just because I find it easy to wear, does not mean this is not a serious oud fragrance, because it is. It plays with the big boys, quite well. There is something in the citric/sourness that smells a tiny bit like body odor, but it is just a whisper and not at all offensive. In fact, I find this whiff of sweaty armpit extremely sexy.

I am so not a Bond No. 9 fan boy, but I can't sing the praises of this enough. Now I just have to figure out when I can get a full bottle.
    and I heartily agree ...

Big question ! Is there any real Oud in it or is it synthetic ?

And I agree SoS there is an oddity about Pure Oud that doesnt sit well with me.
    Last edited by Nersh; 20th January 2012 at 04:34 PM.

My guess (and I could be totally wrong) is that it's Givaudan Oud Opur and cypriol oil.

Dependent

SculptureOfSoul is dead on in his descriptions.

I own a bottle of this. I have smelled several real oud oils -- extremely expensive, all the way to cheaper agarwood CO2 -- and to my nose, Bond Harrods Swarovski has the real stuff in it, which would account for its exorbitant price. It's just too balanced and rich in comparison with inferior juice like Montale or By Killian for me to think it's something out of a factory.

In addition, the rest of the composition shines with rich, carefully sourced naturals. This juice is utterly unlike any other Bond No. 9 fragrance, and really unlike any other perfume I've come across. The vetiver and oud combo works so well, I really wonder why perfumers haven't explored it more. I can imagine a greatly varied palette of perfumes based on it! (Add jasmine for a unique unisex green floral, add patchouli, labdanum, bergamot and oakmoss for an exotic chypre etc). The cumin and musk combine for a lovely dry animalic effect which fades after an hour or so; this is in fact the main movement of the fragrance (with cumin to without cumin) but it is such a gorgeous, unique composition that I don't need more variety than that. It also has one of the few uses of myrrh that really appeals to me, offsetting that resin's sometimes plodding mineralic character with vibrant green. (SoS suspects this accord may be due to Chinese Perfume Tree absolute.)

I see that you have wide-ranging tastes based on your wardrobe, so I have a feeling you might really enjoy this one since you'll have a good palette from which to compare and contrast. There's not much sweetness in it, but a lot of richness. Given the price, I wish it was more potent; I find 4-5 sprays to be about right on a mild day. Longevity is excellent.

Im really starting to looking forward to this and nice reviews Monkey and SoS ! I am curious about the kind of Oud they put in this one.

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww love at first sniff !!!!!!! Such a lush green opening, I dont really get barnyard SoS. More of a deep earthy green, is that what you mean by inky like Encre Noir ?

Im smelling this for the first time on a card, I am sure I will have more to say about it after a wear or two. Amazing scent !!!!!!!!!!!

Dependent

Glad you like it! Most people I've shown it to tend to be very, very intrigued by it to say the least.

Just curious.... did you get the bottle with or without the crystals?

Dependent

Definitely without crystals. I'm a fraghead and have absolutely no interest in stupid crystals ... um, hello that's just glass with lead. Available over the phone; it's not shown on the website anymore.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 3rd February 2012 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by herndog View Post
    Just curious.... did you get the bottle with or without the crystals?

No I have one read that you can get it without the Swarovski bottle but im not sure about the cost. I purchased mine through a split with kron. NOT cheap juice but worth it IMO. Im going to call Bond tomorrow to see how much a FB is. And I am not a Bond fan but this is out of this world.

Basenotes Institution

I knew you'd like it Nersh - enjoy!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    And I am not a Bond fan but this is out of this world.
    this is the only Bond I find FBW. the others are not even close for me, even at 50-75% the price.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 3rd February 2012 at 03:31 AM.

it's $300 without the bling, but the NYC store is currently sold out. I spoke to them about a week ago, and they were hopeful of getting more.

Last time I called Bond about this (non-crystal bottle) I was told there was none available at that time. That was during the Holidays though. Let us know about the availability and the price too please.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I would love to try this. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to buy a sample?

Banned

It (without the sparklies) was $330 shipped ... call the Bond No. 9 store @ 212-228-1732 and tell them to re-check availabilty - they told me first that it was not available; and I asked them to check again and they saw it was available ...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    It (without the sparklies) was $330 shipped ... call the Bond No. 9 store @ 212-228-1732 and tell them to re-check availabilty - they told me first that it was not available; and I asked them to check again and they saw it was available ...
    Wow that sounds really fishy

A very dark scent, very oud dominated.

I called that number which is the Bond flagship store NY. Veronica checked and said they were out and only had the crystal bottles left and to call back at the end of the February. There was no was to order or speed its process to get this one since they all go through that specific store. So I called back (forgot to ask about price) and spoke to someone else and they said they could get it within 2 weeks. 330 shipped and I will be first in line.
    Last edited by Nersh; 3rd February 2012 at 04:23 PM.

I called that number which is the Bond flagship store NY. Veronica checked and said they were out and only had the crystal bottles left and to call back at the end of the February. There was no was to order or speed its process to get this one since they all go through that specific store. So I called back (forgot to ask about price) and spoke to someone else and they said they could get it within 2 weeks. 330 shipped and I will be first in line.
    Did they take your payment information or they're going to get back to you in two weeks?

Dependent

Supposedly this one is a bestseller at Harrods. I wonder if they sell the non-crystal bottle there. I wonder how much of this juice Bond has moved since the release.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Wow that sounds really fishy
    not fishy at all ... just an inept SA ... I consummated the transaction with no ill effects ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Did they take your payment information or they're going to get back to you in two weeks?

They did not take my payment info, which I found unusual when I was willing to pay over the phone.

They did seem a bit disorganized but promised a call on the 10th for an update. Which didn't seem promising.

How green and how ambery is Harrod's Oud?

Very green scents usually don't agree with me (though I love pine like in Fou d'Absinthe). If it's green like in Oud Wood (more of a pale green, if that makes sense), then I think I would like it. If it's a vegetal green like in Ormonde Man, Sel de Vetiver, Carlo Corinto Vetyver, or Vetiver Extraordinaire, chances are this won't work on my skin.

I'm also curious how the amber is blended in here. Does it feel like an amber scent, or does the amber simply warm up the oud, vetiver and musk interplay?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post

Very green scents usually don't agree with me (though I love pine like in Fou d'Absinthe). If it's green like in Oud Wood (more of a pale green, if that makes sense), then I think I would like it. If it's a vegetal green like in Ormonde Man, Sel de Vetiver, Carlo Corinto Vetyver, or Vetiver Extraordinaire, chances are this won't work on my skin.

I'm also curious how the amber is blended in here. Does it feel like an amber scent, or does the amber simply warm up the oud, vetiver and musk interplay?
    It's nothing like Sel de Vetiver, VE, or Ormonde Man. Haven't smelled the others.

The amber is very, very slight, just enough to warm up the oud as you say.

Veronica is fantastic. She's been there over a decade. Customer service doesn't get better. She'll take good care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post

I dont know another scent to compare. Its not vegetal green at all. On a color scale it would be closer to a deep woods/soft green and without the earthy Encre Noir but that same dark feel.. I would lean towards Oud Wood having some similarities and I have heard this reference before. The amber blends in so well with the vetiver and myrrh you don treally recognize it. This is NOT a close to the skin scent and projects allllllll day. The Oud comes out to play here and again, I would say that its certainly an Oud dominant fragrance and not an amber. It is nothing like I have tried in the past and I am far from as articulate as most of you, so correct me if I am wrong. But the vetiver in HSOB shares no resemblance to Sel de Vetive or VE which I consider sharp vetiver dominant fragrances. HSOB is soft and dark.

Think of it as a cross between Oud Wood and Encre Noir and have not tried Fou dAbsinthe.

I give this one a

Hate to sound like a broken record, but no one knows where I can buy a sample? Any chance the NYC store could give me one?

I have this one now and I have to wear it more to truly understand the fragrance. But I will say that this is a wonderful "western" oud fragrance. So far my impressions are that the vetriver really adds to the oud. I am not a vetiver fan at all, but I love oud and the combination here really works well. At least that is my initial take on this. I was never able to get a sample of this at all until I found a split going on. I ws late for the split (it filled fast) but the person doing the split emailed me and said there was a mere 5ml that he could sell me, so I jumped on the chance. Once I tried it I knew I had to have it...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Akahina, how does this compare to Dior's Leather Oud? I've heard some say that Leather Oud was a good substitute for this, although other reviews make them sound considerably different.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Akahina, how does this compare to Dior's Leather Oud? I've heard some say that Leather Oud was a good substitute for this, although other reviews make them sound considerably different.
    I own both and NO WAY they are in no way a substitute for each other. The Dior is VERY smoky, has a much more sharp animalic presence and is also slightly more synthetic smelling...I mean the sillage/projection is VERY strong. The BN9 is much more 'natural' smelling, like real oud. I like both, because I think they can be worn for different reasons.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

I would imagine they would differ as well, since HSLE has no "leather" ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I own both and NO WAY they are in no way a substitute for each other. The Dior is VERY smoky, has a much more sharp animalic presence and is also slightly more synthetic smelling...I mean the sillage/projection is VERY strong. The BN9 is much more 'natural' smelling, like real oud. I like both, because I think they can be worn for different reasons.
    How would you compare it to CREED Royal-Oud?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by M.T. View Post
    How would you compare it to CREED Royal-Oud?
    Which one?

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Harrods Oud

Basenotes Institution

The Royal Oud is oud-light, there is a whisper of oud in it and the rest of the scent is a spicy, very recognizable Creed ambergris scent. Nicely done, a bit thin in the middle, projects well, I always got a handful of compliments when I wore my sample, but I didn't really enjoy it all that much myself.

The Harrods Swarovski Oud, is darker, not nearly as spicy, very incense prominent, very woody and the oud in it is strong, pungent, animalic and smells very much like real oud oil that I have sampled.

There is a sourness that certain oud oils/fragrances have, that walks the line between interesting and revolting - many of you know what I'm talking about. In certain oud oils it can be quite nauseating and yet, it's not a smell you'll soon forget. The Creed does not have this at all, it's oud is very polished, cleaned up, etc. Then you have scents like Oud 27 by Le Labo that is just too sour, it's gross. Oud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale has it...but the leather balances it out nicely. Al Oudh by L'Artisan has a tiny slice of it. Whereas, the Bond No. 9 has the ***best*** use of this sour oud note I have ever smelled. The dosage is perfect. Not too much, not too little. It's genius!

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I own CREED's offering, and truly enjoy it.
    More oud sounds good, but didn't want that harsh note.
    Looks like it's a buy! Thanks for breaking it down mike.

I would imagine they would differ as well, since HSLE has no "leather" ingredients
    Maybe not listed, but I definitely get a dark leathery note in HSLE. In abundance, in fact. It might just be the way the myrrh interacts with the oud. Heck, some ouds can be leathery, right? All I know is I perceive leather here - a very very nice leather!

I stopped by the store at #9 Bond St. yesterday, and they say they are definitely getting more of the non-blingy bottles this week. Too bad for you all that I pre-paid for the whole case of them.

Dependent

Maybe not listed, but I definitely get a dark leathery note in HSLE. In abundance, in fact. It might just be the way the myrrh interacts with the oud. Heck, some ouds can be leathery, right? All I know is I perceive leather here - a very very nice leather!
    As I've said elsewhere, "leather" in fragrances never smells like real leather to me.

HSLE certainly doesn't contain birch tar, thank goodness

HSLE certainly doesn't contain birch tar, thank goodness
    Amen

Dependent

Amen
    that stuff's a bit sweet cotton candy for my taste

As I've said elsewhere, "leather" in fragrances never smells like real leather to me.
    The closest to actual leather for me is Xerjoff homme. I can imagine not thinking that smells like leather.

Back on topic: Every time I pass my decant of HLSE I lift the lid to get a whiff, smells SO good. I may as well wear it every day.

(OK, I have worn Harrod's Oud fully twice now and I will attempt to give this a review...please forgive, my nose is not as trained as some of yours.)

One word...amazing. It is no wonder that the few reviews of this I have read are so positive.

This starts with a powerful blast of wood, oud but marked with a little bit of sweet green, probably the vetiver and there is something a little bit sour here too. Not a lemony sour or a milk sour, but something sour I can't put my finger on. Is this the oud or the vetiver? Whatever it is it adds a remarkable note to the opening and it stays throughout. Amber is noticeable and so is the myrrh adding a nice layer, but make no mistake, this is an oud fragrance, just uplifted with other notes that are done so well. Pepper adds just a touch of sharpness to balance out the sweet of the amber. Cumin adds a slight dirty note but I have to search to find it on me. The scent is rather linear after a brief opening. I have never been a big fan of vetiver, but the vetiver here adds nicely to the oud, a coupling that really, really works! This fragrance is indeed a rockstar. If there is a downside to this it is the longevity (or is my nose getting used to the smell when I wear it?). I get maybe four good hours and then it seems weak and I will have to admit, I freshened up the scent with a little spray to make it more apparent. I asked a co-worker what she thought of this one and her reply was simply, "ummm...that's a really good one!"

It occured to me that this one shares a lot with Dior's Leather Oud. I may get slammed for this comparison, but I am wearing Harrod's Oud on my left wrist and Leather Oud on my right wrist right now (and I smell wonderful!) and I get a very similar vibe. Harrod's Oud is a bit more resiny and a bit greener, Leather Oud is more leathery and has that touch of animalic civet but both are oud heavy and both seem to share what I will call the same "fragrance space". Leather Oud seems to be more about oud wood and Harrod's seems to be a bit more about resin and oud.

I may get slammed for this too, but I absolutely love both of these even if I see them as a bit redundant. If I were to choose one, I would go for Dior's Leather Oud for two reasons. First, LO lasts for a very long time and is very strong. I easily get 12 hours from it and it clings to clothes. I love the dirty edge of it. Bond's Harrod's Oud is equal as far as enjoyment but the longevity for me is not nearly as good as Dior's. Then there is the price. Harrod's Oud is certainly worth the price if you can get the plain bottle, not worth it for the blinged out bottle IMHO. Dior's Leather Oud is just plain cheap if you buy the 8.5 ounce bottle.

My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I concur and DO get a lush leather that pops up at times.

Banned

how does it compare to New York Oud by Bond?

Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    VERY different. NY Oud is fruity (the plum I guess) and is much longer lasting. More flowers, rose, some musk, patchouli, so different it is not two that I would compare. There is oud in NY Oud (artificial) but the whole thing is more western and just plain prettier.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Nothing alike.

Banned

Nothing alike.
    okay... so which one has a more prominent oud note? which one is the better fragrance? which one do YOU like more?

thanks!

okay... so which one has a more prominent oud note? which one is the better fragrance? which one do YOU like more?

thanks!
    HLSE is more of a full bodied fragrance. I thought NY Oud was nice and give it about an 8 but its so Oud centric and to my nose, a bit feminine. HLSE I would give a perfect 10 and is about the nicest fragrance I have sniffed to date. NY Oud is just Oud and more Oud and not much else there to support the note. HLSE simply put has a Oud backbone with lots of nice stuff built around it (they did a fantastic job with the Vetiver Myrrh combo, I must add) complements the note itself.

HLSE is more of a full bodied fragrance. I thought NY Oud was nice and give it about an 8 but its so Oud centric and to my nose, a bit feminine. HLSE I would give a perfect 10 and is about the nicest fragrance I have sniffed to date. NY Oud is just Oud and more Oud and not much else there to support the note. HLSE simply put has a Oud backbone with lots of nice stuff built around it (they did a fantastic job with the Vetiver Myrrh combo, I must add) complements the note itself.
    OK, I really don't want to start a war or an argument, but my opinion is completely different because my experience with these two are apparently completely different. Viva la differance!

To me, NY Oud is not "oud and more oud". It has some oud (that some say is artificial), I honestly don't yet have the knowledge to tell the difference, but is just as much about fruit, rose, plum, bees wax and patchouli as it is oud. I am not at all put off by the fact that it is a bit on the feminine side. I love it, I actually adore it. I may actually like it better than the Harrod's Oud simply because it is more accessible to western noses and it does last longer for me.

Maybe my disagreement is minor. I love both and would score them equally but with pluses and minuses on opposite sides.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Banned

i appreciate both of your opinions and perspectives!

Akahina, i see New York Oud is #2 on your top list. It was also Frag of the Year on www.scentrist.com (he's on here too but i can't remember his name).

i will check both of these out today at my local Saks 5th Ave and report my findings. thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    OK, I really don't want to start a war or an argument, but my opinion is completely different because my experience with these two are apparently completely different. Viva la differance!

To me, NY Oud is not "oud and more oud". It has some oud (that some say is artificial), I honestly don't yet have the knowledge to tell the difference, but is just as much about fruit, rose, plum, bees wax and patchouli as it is oud. I am not at all put off by the fact that it is a bit on the feminine side. I love it, I actually adore it. I may actually like it better than the Harrod's Oud simply because it is more accessible to western noses and it does last longer for me.

Maybe my disagreement is minor. I love both and would score them equally but with pluses and minuses on opposite sides.
    Its a beautiful thing.

NY Oud is nice just not my cup of tea. Bond is sure getting some fans with some of there latest releases. Hard to believe HLSE has been out since 2009 and since its exclusive to Harrods its more difficult to sample and/or purchase.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    To me, NY Oud is not "oud and more oud". It has some oud (that some say is artificial), I honestly don't yet have the knowledge to tell the difference, but is just as much about fruit, rose, plum, bees wax and patchouli as it is oud.
    I completely agree with this. In fact, I think NY Oud has a bit less oud character than HLSE; also it doesn't smell like the real thing, while HLSE's really smells a lot like a couple of authentic oud oils I have sampled. I dislike "red fruit" notes (damascones) so NY Oud is not up my alley at all. I don't see much of a connection between the two fragrances, other than the typical Bond smoothness/balance.

Banned

just tried New York Oud.

unfortunately, I can't stop trying it. after two attempts to wash it off, it is still pounding and filling my entire office.

I'm glad I tried it for one reason... it has made me appreciate even more my CREED collection. God I hate Bond and this just cemented it.

I guess I just like more natural frags that mix with your skin chemistry and have intricate drydowns. Not perfumes that announce when you walk in a room:

"HI!!! I AM WEARING PERFUME AND I WANT YOU TO NOTICE ME!!!!!!!!!"
    Because that is what every Bond is to me. Like an overrated athlete who tries to make up for his lack of self-confidence with faux swagger, Bond's inferiority complex to CREED (born out of its origin with the founder) is just sad.

New York Oud is feminine, loud, obnoxious, not at ALL about oud (I barely detect any), and more for 20-something shallow women living in Manhatten who work at Cartier and overvalue themselves to laughable proportions.

Bond No 9. NEVER AGAIN.

Dependent

Bond No 9. NEVER AGAIN.
    Judge HLSE by Bond's other (vastly inferior imo) compositions at your own loss. No other frags from their line are even close to FBW for my taste. HLSE is not only better, but completely different from ALL the rest of their line. (Many others of their line resemble each other, to the extent that I would say Bond has released "too many" fragrances.)

So they do make this in the regular bottle right? Was at Saks didnt notice this one.

It didnt do much for me either, though its well done, as I have said before its not my cup of tea. Please give HLSE a try, it is nothing like the other Bonds I have tried IMO.