Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Egoiste new reformulation - Caron Le 3'eme Homme ?

I just finished my 8 year old 100 ml Egoiste. Bought the new 100 ml 2 days ago and find the new Egoiste lacks the Sandalwood of the old and has much more citrus - lime tones in the dry down.
    Very similar to Caron Le 3'eme Homme.

Am I crazy and way off ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste new reformulation - Caron Le 3'eme Homme ?

Not particularly similar IMO. More rose in Egoiste, and MUCH more refined. I can`t detect any citrus at all, at least not in my 3 year old bottle.

I bought Egoiste last year. To me, the drydown is sweetish woody, while in Troisieme is more barbershop musky-hay-sweetish. I have not smelled vintage Egoiste, so I cannot compare; true sandalwood is now essentially unavailable, so it's certainly likely that it has been toned down from previous versions.

cacio

I'm sorry but to my nose they are very different.

Very different to me as well. The Caron to me is more floral, more powdery ( but not too powdery...or maybe it just has a dusty feel to it ?) and has more vanilla. Very unique scent. Not that Egoiste is bad ( and likely more wearable for me than Le 3'eme Homme).

I get no rose in Egoiste, by the way.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I'm sorry but to my nose they are very different.
    To me also.

It's not as though they are the same, but in the new version of Egoiste, the citrus seems stronger than what I felt I got in the older version of Egoiste.

The first 1-2 hours I get more citrus than what I'm used to from Egoiste - not as sharp as Caron Le 3'rd Homme, but from 30-40 cm away, they seem pretty close. After 2-3 hours, the citrus note disappears more to the background and the Rosewood and Sandalwood starts to appear more strongly with the rose being very weak in the background.

I'm just not used to smelling citrus from Egoiste in this way - which is why I think they may have reformulated the stuff, or I may have gotten a 'bad bottle', maybe a mix of Egoiste and Pour Monsieur Concentrťt

I bought it at one of the large retailers in my country, so can't thnk it's a fake. I paid $100 for 100 ml EDT.
    Also bought Platinum for $100 for 100 ml and the Platinum smells exactly like the old one.

If this is what Egoiste really smells like in 2012, I'm not such a huge fan like I used to be of the older Egoiste.

BTW - I see in the 'Similar threads' appendix that another guy in July 2011 smelled samples of Caron 3'rd Homme and Egoiste and also found similarities between the two, so I may not be that crazy

LINK: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281...-do-you-prefer
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 20th January 2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

^ Its been reformulated for sure , My dad has a 1996 version, I smelt the newer version, the sandalwood and rosewood are not there, its smells like some generic wood citrus chypre now. I had this issue with Xeryus rouge, where the creamy sandalwood amber drydown is no longer there.

My current Egoiste was purchased in the past month. It has the same candied fruit/creamy sandalwood smell I've always gotten from Egoiste (but I'm a relative newcomer to Egoiste so I can't say how it would compare to much older bottles). I'm neutral about Third Man, but it doesn't smell anything like any version of Egoiste I've smelled.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    ^ Its been reformulated for sure , My dad has a 1996 version, I smelt the newer version, the sandalwood and rosewood are not there, its smells like some generic wood citrus chypre now. I had this issue with Xeryus rouge, where the creamy sandalwood amber drydown is no longer there.
    I guess our experiences with the new version are different.

I do infact get loads of sandalwood ( and rosewood before that) in the current Egoiste. The vintage is close as well, but more aromatic to my nose.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I guess our experiences with the new version are different.

I do infact get loads of sandalwood ( and rosewood before that) in the current Egoiste. The vintage is close as well, but more aromatic to my nose.
    This is my experience as well, and why it is such an amazing scent! Even though it has been watered down a little from the original, it is still one of the best male fragrances currently available. I don't really want to play favorites with my scents, but …goÔste is probably the best I have come across so far.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Yet another reason to get vintage frags with "real" sandalwood notes !

Banned
    Blog Entries

The version of Egoiste I smelled last year was very rosy, spicy, and stewed fruity. the sandalwood base was very plush and vibrant, one of the best I've encountered.

Still have to try the third man.

Does anyone know when the Concentree version of Egoiste came out?