Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Default Re: January 2012 Blind sniff

I think Twolf and I agreed on cedar for sure and maybe sandalwood.

OV, you get cedar?

kalli I am not sure what smells to you like root beer. As I said, this one has few listed notes, but quite possible more are present.
    I absolutely concur to arum's amazement at your sniffing/notes identification skills.
    There are several other notes that kalli and OV (and bookhouseshell) agree on. Let's see later what Twolf thinks.
    Unfortunately I just found out that I will have to meet someone in a short while. I may have internet on the train on my ay back home but I cannot count on it. If not then only after 6 Eastern time I can log in again. Either Warum or myself will confirm or infirm more notes later after Twolf tells us what she thinks.

Ok, sounds really good. Yes woods ok just a sec.

can we post what it is not? or is that TMI?

That almond I am getting may be the tonka.

I would say sandalwood as well on this, or very likely..I am guessing?

I think sandal too

bookhouseshell please PM us (Warum and I) rather than posting here your final guesses.

Guys, I have to run! I will try to connect soon. Keep up the good work!

Citrus, does anyone get citrus? I am just asking..I really don't but do any of you?

I may have to go soon for a while...sorry! Hope I helped...you sniffers did really well..really good noses, impressive!

Well, I will be on here for another 2 hours maybe but gone for a while even during that time perhaps, I may extend this we will see, I am getting a headache again not sure why.

As to the woods I keep going back to oud

to me there is something very oriental, very arabian about this, that was why I said myrrh, oud, (now unsure but I thought leather before) and then anise but maybe it is the myrrh. I am not getting root beer though at all.

Hi everyone,

I am here again, I tell you one thing all of a sudden I am starting to dig this too)).

Another note I was going to suggest, is anyone smelling rum? I have thought about this earlier and kept going back to it. I wonder if that was a note I could not identify in the top but I thought I might have smelled something alcoholic in there. Let me know your thoughts girls.

Blog Entries

I am back and Bookhouseshell PMed me a correct guess!

Oh, wow!!! I have beaten myself up about this staying late)) Congrats Bookhouseshell!

Blog Entries

You are doing great, I am here and keeping the list of notes you mentioned.
    By the time TWolf comes back we will have a condensed results of our thoughts.
    Let's summarize:

Confirmed: niche, unisex.
    Confirmed notes: tonka, vanilla.

Kalli and OVincze, you have named some correct notes, some incorrect ones -- compared to the official notes lists. I am listing them all here as well as I can.
    OVincze: oud, myrrh, rum. Edit: patchouli, incense (per #318)
    Kalli: nutmeg or other spice like pepper, cedar, myrrh, mint, sandalwood, patchouli, citrus (?)
    TWolf minty angle/camphor, cedarwood and allspice. There are hints of insence and patchouli as well. I think you also mentioned thyme, vetiver and cypress, Wolfie, but I was not sure if you were smelling this or suggesting other ideas for "minty" angle.

Ladies, did I recap your notes right?

I think I mentioned patchouli first, so then there are two of us, I tended to agree on the incense too. I have to go soon.

Hey ladies, I am on the train with internet for the moment. Doing a great job and yes, bookhouseshell got it right.

Hi DD, nice to see you here. Sorry but I will be way late guessing, today has been extremely hectic and I ran out of time and will be gone for 13-14 hours so will continue then.l Sorry about that it is again almost 10:30 and should get home to get some rest))

No worries OV. You already have some good guesses, we'll just wait for Twolf and then reveal some more.
    Focus on that woodiness and come back tomorrow too tell us what you think.

Lol, I think I need a short break from the woodiness, it has driven me nuts going over all kinds of woods. We have already suggested sandalwood early on, then there was cedar, there was oud and then patchouli as a woody note, so I am really not sure, I have even considered the cashmere woods you suggested (ROFL) and thought I had some good ideas but probably just too tired. You all have a great day/evening!

Blog Entries

got an incorrect guess from our spectator. Good luck guessing!

I am finally back home. My train broke down so we were 1.5 h late!

Blog Entries

Ouch, DD!
    What a pain!
    I'm here too.
    Will need at some point to step away and pack -- I am going on a trip tomorrow through weekend about which I totally forgot... blah!!

I should be here all day tomorrow and tonight until I crush. Waking up at 5 is not nice at all.

Blog Entries

DD, tonight I can totally pick up. My husband does not even come home before 8 (west coast 8 pm) today. I'll try to go to bed at a decent hour because we'll be out the door early to drive, etc.

We'll see when and if Ms. Twolf and kalli show up. OV must be asleep by now.

Blog Entries

Probably.
    I'll go collect some clothes, be back soon.

Hello to January Blind Sniff hosts and sniffers! It's good to hear that you're having fun. I love the theme, and I'm so impressed by the knowledge and sniffing talent here (sniffing out notes is definitely not my strong suit).

Highlights so far for me: The connection of the name Realities to the theme (clever!), the discussion about sequential and global learners (I agree with every word Warum wrote on the subject), and especially the revelations about deoderized and non-deoderized Communist grandmothers.

I'll try to follow along tonight and tomorrow and perhaps even participate as a spectator.

Good to see you here Haunani. Please participate if you can. If any perfume discussed here makes you curious, PM me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Hello to January Blind Sniff hosts and sniffers! It's good to hear that you're having fun. I love the theme, and I'm so impressed by the knowledge and sniffing talent here (sniffing out notes is definitely not my strong suit).

Highlights so far for me: The connection of the name Realities to the theme (clever!), the discussion about sequential and global learners (I agree with every word Warum wrote on the subject), and – especially – the revelations about deoderized and non-deoderized Communist grandmothers.

I'll try to follow along tonight and tomorrow and perhaps even participate as a spectator.
    Thanks so much!
    Yes, I think we have an amazing theme, a great host (DD, you're fantastic!) and a set of very talented sniffers. I am enjoying this very much.

Blog Entries

Got an incorrect guess submitted from a spectator.

I hope Wolfie'll check in soon. We can use some action!

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    You are doing great, I am here and keeping the list of notes you mentioned.
    By the time TWolf comes back we will have a condensed results of our thoughts.
    Let's summarize:

Confirmed: niche, unisex.
    Confirmed notes: tonka, vanilla.

Kalli and OVincze, you have named some correct notes, some incorrect ones -- compared to the official notes lists. I am listing them all here as well as I can.
    OVincze: oud, myrrh, rum. Edit: patchouli, incense (per #318)
    Kalli: nutmeg or other spice like pepper, cedar, myrrh, mint, sandalwood, patchouli, citrus (?)
    TWolf minty angle/camphor, cedarwood and allspice. There are hints of insence and patchouli as well. I think you also mentioned thyme, vetiver and cypress, Wolfie, but I was not sure if you were smelling this or suggesting other ideas for "minty" angle.

Ladies, did I recap your notes right?
    I just asked if anyone got citrus, I actually don't get any. I am still up in the air about patchouli. Spice I listed allspice, nutmeg or pepper. Allspice or nutmeg I am leaning on.
    I also get incense/some smokiness. The mint could be from the myrrh or other flower.
    We got a correct guess already? Wow. Super sniffer! Good job. Hopefully, Twolf will chime in.
    Last edited by kalli; 27th January 2012 at 02:35 AM.

eyes closing...can't stay awake...
    guys, sorry, I will see you tomorrow. I am free all day...

Blog Entries

Nite nite, DD! You need rest!
    I am still here and will be here, checking on and off.
    Looking forward to see y'all - and probably, till Monday!

Hi all! Spectator here with a question: No one has mentioned amber. Are you getting any?

Amber came to mind earlier..but just not sure..sorry I can't be of help. I really wish some notes could be confirmed.

Blog Entries

Kalli, I really wish I could confirm, but I do want all of us sniffers have a fair time reading, thinking, etc.
    This kind of sniff is a slow sniff, when everyone has plenty of time. It allows people participate on the day they work.
    When Haunani hosted a split a year ago last Jan that was a fast sniff, everyone came in at the same time, sprayed at the same time, etc. Requires a lot more planning ahead and making sure people are available, most often for a whole weekend.
    both types of sniff are cool. I ended up liking them both. But it's a very different experience.

Sure, I understand, lol..just impatient haha. Were these scents picked out by you warum or just randomly by DD or? How does the selection process come about? Or should I even be asking that? lol. Too bad I am not familiar with niche really, oh well. Isn't Twolf due back before too long?

We didn't get a price range on this..no one guessed the range. I think I guessed about 100 bucks..I am going with that cause niche seems to be more pricey. I don't think the price would help me much anyway..not with niche.

Blog Entries

Kalli, DD picked the scents and came up with the theme. We will have to ask her about her choosing process when we're done!

This scent reminds me of a less smoky version of this niche I smelled recently. That niche had pine/pine needle in there though. This scent is oily..smells like a perfume oil. But niche are probably more oily?

Blog Entries

Kalli, do you recall the name of that niche?

Re more oily: nope, not necessarily, some niche are actually very transparent. It all depends on a brand aesthetics. Some niche brands have a wide spectrum (I'll say even Serge Lutens does, the brand is famous for "stewed friuts + woods" orientals -- not sure who coined this phrase). Some are more floral (roses of Rosine come to mind), some are pretty light...

It was called Midnight Woods or something...it was way, way more smokey than this..less sweet. It was basically smoke(literally smelling like campfire smoke), pine..no spice though. There is definitely spiciness to the one we are guessing..really spicy to my nose. This is oily like the ones I smelled at that shop. I got an opportunity to smell many niche..it definitely has a vibe of at least one I smelled in there. Not good with names/perfumers though. I think I mean more it smelled like some niche fumes I smelled in there..more than one. I am not good with names! I get the incense vibe for sure..maybe that's the correlation, oh I am horrible!
    Last edited by kalli; 27th January 2012 at 04:43 AM.

Spectator here.

Can we ask the sniffers questions?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Blog Entries

Nope, not horrible -- you are wonderful sniffer!
    Of course, getting to know perfumers names and creations is a matter of time. And practice. And dedication. You got them all! (look, we're here!)

Actually, it really has the vibe/some smells of that Exultat by Maria Candida I smelled a few days ago. I guess that incense/church vibe..though the church I go to doesn't smell like that, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OVincze View Post
    And yes it is definitely niche. Looking at the color of the juice I knew this would be something oily or balmy with complexity.
    Is it viscous like an oil?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

The complex woody smell may mean vetiver..mmm. I'll go with vetiver on this as well.

So, to recap...I get the following:

incense, vetiver, cedar, perhaps sandalwood, maybe myrrh, allspice or nutmeg, vanilla, tonka, maybe patchouli, maybe lavender, almonds maybe
    Last edited by kalli; 27th January 2012 at 06:10 AM.

Just throwing out another question: Some of you mentioned an herbal element. Any chance it's lavender?

Eariler today..I thought I got lavender..I was almost going to write it down as a note. Herbal element could mean lavender and/ or vetiver. It very well might be lavender, I really thought I got some earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by OVincze View Post
    Kalli, Hypnotic and this to me is like apples and pears, Midnight is the one I would associate this with somewhat.
    Wow, this totally confuses me. Hypnotic Poison versus Midnight Poison. Crikey! Two more dissimilar perfumes I cannot imagine. Hypnotic Poison, to my nose, is to Midnight Poison as Stanford University is to U.C. Berkeley.

Patchouli. That's what Midnight Poison is to me. (ranting comments about patchouli deleted) Is that the medicinal smell that hits you as you spray it on?

I'm not sure if I'm reading Warum's post #317 correctly, that patchouli is not in Sample B?

Blog Entries

Alright, yall, I guess I have to go to bed since I have to get up at ungodly time tomorrow. I am so sorry I couldn't reveal more. See you Monday.

having hard time posting..refer to my next post..tech problems, lol.
    Last edited by kalli; 27th January 2012 at 05:48 AM.

This site is running really slow on my comp..having a problem posting again.
    Nite Nite Warum, thanks for hanging out!

Lol, HP/MP. She probably said MP cause of the patchouli, I mentioned HP cause of the vanilla. So, if there is patchouli..we may be both right in a sense, lol. MP is more floral to my nose..I have a little vial sample of it..definitely more floral on the MP. This fume we are sniffing is way more sweet than MP.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    This site is running really slow on my comp..having a problem posting again.
    Yeah, I noticed that when I participated in the Blind Sniff. I dunno if that's because Basenotes gets more hits during Blind Sniffs and so it slows down terribly! 'S one of the reasons it might be nice to do this in the chat room sometime, and have someone archive the discussions to a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Lol, HP/MP. She probably said MP cause of the patchouli, I mentioned HP cause of the vanilla. So, if there is patchouli..we may be both right in a sense, lol. MP is more floral to my nose..I have a little vial sample of it..definitely more floral on the MP. This fume we are sniffing is way more sweet than MP.
    Patchouli + vanillla! Hmm! And a touch of rootbeer? That sounds awfully familiar.

It's past my bedtime in my longitude of the globe. I will check back in 6 hours after the sun has passed the Prime Meridian.
    Last edited by Aiona; 27th January 2012 at 06:03 AM.

Oh and I am leaning on patchouli too, I edited my notes. in post #351

Good morning, ladies. I was in pain last night -- there is a huge bruise on my tail bone/butt crack -- from the fall the night before. Just came home and laid down. Sorry for slowing down the process.

Here are the notes that kalli recaps:
    incense (frankincense), vetiver, cedar, perhaps sandalwood, maybe myrrh, allspice or nutmeg, vanilla, tonka, maybe patchouli, maybe lavender, almonds maybe (I shaded the ones I do not get) + here are a few of mine: more resins (benzoin), guaiac wood.

To give our spectators more ideas: most of the notes are just a hint without pushing them forward, the whole composition is smooth. I went through what I have got here from Pierre and you know -- although in his gourmand style, it is not him, he would use more patchouli and more unusual elements. Meantime, a kind soul sent me some of Hermes Santal Massoia yesterday (among three dozens of others) and I do not believe B has any sandalwood of this type.

Kalli, does this scent you have tried come from Liz of Sonoma Scent Studio? They have that beefy cedar my friend sherapop mentions in her reviews.

Congratulations on guessing B correctly, B!

I will work all day today again.