Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default January 2012 Blind sniff

Let's post here about the January sniff. Or Twolf will get mad at us and give us a good and well-deserved spanking.

Default Re: January 2012 Blind sniff

Really? It is not in her bag of tricks, I don't believe so.

What's the theme?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Really? It is not in her bag of tricks, I don't believe so.
    But boy can she wag her finger!

The theme will be revealed soon. And it is dreamy!

Sounds good already.

Jalaine Citrus Dream, Angel Schlesser Oriental Dream and Yves Rocher Ode au Reve?
    Or, how about Montale Sweet Oriental Mess (I mean, dream), Anna Sui Something Equally Uninspiring and Marina de Bourbon Reverie? Oh no, wait a minute, it was Gloria Vanderbuilt, Princess Marina had Reverence.
    Last edited by Twolf; 21st January 2012 at 11:48 AM.

hahaha, it will not be quite that easy, I am afraid! I did not even smell any of the above, I am afraid. Maybe Oriental Mess?

LOL with you.

Blog Entries

Laughing out loud with you, ladies!

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

ooooh the suspense!!!!!!!!

i have a dumb question: are the frags limited to just female scents?

ROFL I sooo love those names, especially Sweet Oriental Mess)). I have not smelled any of those either. Oh, I love the idea of a dreamy theme. On the downside, as of today still no package for me...

meowmo, no there is no limitation. Well, maybe to fragrances that exist in the database?
    OVincze don't worry, they will be there. Maybe if they come by the end of the week we could start the sniff this weekend.

That would be great, except that weekends do not work for me, sorry about that. I go out and/or travel in the weekends and no longer have net at home and would hate to have to come in to work to do the sniff on the weekend, so sorry... let me know if this is a problem.

It would work, of course! I thought you were posting to inform you had received them. Darn it.

DD and I are early risers, Warum is a late bed-goer, so we should be covered at any time convenient for you.

OVincze, I am sure we can figure it out.
    Given the time and availability differences let's do this sniff slowly. The last sniffs were very fast paced and given TWolf's experience at guessing notes, I would like to give everyone a chance to actually spend some time with the perfume. So, once the sniff starts, you can post your impressions and notes guesses for about a day or two without Warum or myself giving you immediate and direct feedback. We will be here to tell you if you are on the right track but it won't be after every single guess. After that time, the three of you should have a description of the scent and a short list of notes that you more or less agree on. Only at that time we will start giving you more precise answers and clues, in case you did not already guess the perfume. What do you all think?

OFF TOPIC:

Warum..did you win that Tommy Hillfiger Prep Pack on NST?..There was someone named Warum that won. If you did, congrats!
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

That all sounds cool darkdreams, now I got some great news! When I arrived to the office today the receptionists had a puzzled look on and told me I got a "weird" package and they had to open it since it had the name of the company on it but could not guess what it was ROFL. I am delighted to inform you that the samples are here, YAAAY! Now pretty soon I can start to embarass myself, this should be fun. Today I am wearing Love, Chloe but if you want to start tomorrow, that would work with me too. Thanks for giving us time, hope the fumes are not waaay offensive or smell horrid as we were joking at the reception that the entire office will smell like poop...

I am in Europe as you know, not sure where in the US you are but I start around this time which is nightime in the West Coast, you can let us know what would be a good time, we can discuss it. Have a great day all,

Ursula

Kalli, thanks for having noticed that. It might -- or might NOT -- be one of our clues. One never knows.

All right, now we CAN sniff. Yippettee-yee-ya-yo! I will today, in any event. Itchy paws, you know.

Oh..I like clues! Yay!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Sorry guys it sounds kinda confusing to me now, what is our clue? Also, you are starting to sniff already? Doesn't it work like the host tells us when and how to begin? We do not even know the theme yet, correct?

Well, unfortunately I will be leaving soon for the day. I will be back tomorrow a.m., that means within about 16 hours or so..., I wonder what I should do, if I should take the samples home and sniff and make notes or start together. Yes, getting itchy fingers too for sure but do not really know how it would work. In case we do start today I am here for another half an hour or so that we can start together then I guess I would just take notes at home and type them in once I get to work tomorrow. Also, would you recommend sniffing first out of the bottle, then on a strip and then on skin?

We know we will be a great team thanks to Twolf, well, you may not agree with us though))

I just logged in now! I am glad to hear the good news. Let me read the messages from my co-host and I will be back in just a couple of minutes.

Ok, I have almost left but waited a bit longer)) I will wait and see what you say and whether I should start sniffing at home and then if you give us the green light then I will just take notes at home and type them in once I come in tomorrow morning.

This is very exciting!

Well, given that Ovincze cannot sniff today anymore and I am at school and will have to leave in about an hour, let us start tomorrow morning. Here is the plan. Everyone can start smelling when they wake up, which will obviously be at different times, depending on location and schedule. After a first sniff you should post your impressions and preliminary guesses, initially without reading what the others wrote. After this, throughout the day, you can discuss and consult with the other sniffers. During this time, I will be home and I will let you know how you are doing, without giving away too much. Towards the evening, Warum and I will give you more precise feedback on the guesses. Depending on where we stand we can make a plan for the following day.
    A few ideas for the new sniffers (inspired by the queen of organization-Twolf):
    Try a little perfume on a piece of paper (for example a coffee filter or even business card) as well as on your arm.
    Try to establish if the perfume is new or old, marketed towards men or women, if it is edt, edp, extrait, its general classification.
    Try to guess notes. Sometimes it helps to make mental comparisons with other similar perfumes you smelled.
    Post.
    Read other’s posts. Revise. Post again.

The theme will be posted when I get home this evening.
    Everyone is encouraged to participate by helping the sniffers or by asking them questions.

Coool and thanks so much, I really hope I am not too much of a pain and causing you too much inconvenience. Ok, I will start in the morning then; I could sniff tonite, just cannot post as I do not have net at home. Have a great day everyone.

See you all tomorrow. OVincze, even if you start tomorrow morning you will still be ahead of everyone. I am looking forward to seeing your first impressions.

Well, thanks, I am not sure I am looking forward to seeing my impressions as they will likely be totally off but I am already very excited and having fun! Ok, I got that mine will be the first post. Have a great day.

kalli, let us know if this works for you.
    bookhouseshell are you around?

This is a non judgemental zone. All impressions are welcome!

I forgot to answer an earlier question: no clues were given or are to be read between the lines yet. The theme will be revealed in a few hours, and that is it!

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    This is a non judgemental zone. All impressions are welcome!
    Absolument.

OV, please do not be scared. Knowing DD all these years, she encourages her students and fellow-sniffers' out-of-comfort-zone guesses. Compare it with the common notions -- "reminds me of a thistle: green and prickly" or "reminds me of a garage shelving unit: so structured and smells of acetone" or "reminds me of a fly drowning in a jar of berry preserves", etc.

Notice, how we are using abbreviated forms of our names, it is not with the purpose to offend anyone.

Tomorrow is fine with me, I will be working all day but will check in and out.

So when are you all wanting to do this? Sorry!

kalli the sniff starts tomorrow morning, which will be different based on each sniffer's location. Please read post #23.

Tomorrow morning EST or Europe time?

Your morning. Whenever you can, start posting your thoughts. OVincze can only be online during the day and she is in Europe. It is impossible to have everyone online at the same time. Over the course of the day, all three sniffers will post. First, OVincze will probably be the one to start since morning in Europe means night in the US, followed by you and Twolf. Keep logging in as much as possible, keep posting and reading the other sniffers' thoughts.

The theme of the sniff is:

On dreams and illusions

Ok, thanks so much... I am really looking forward to this! Oh btw..I LOVE the theme! I love it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    The theme of the sniff is:

On dreams and illusions
    OK, great news!
    I will be available in the afternoon tomorrow. means, literally, right after noon.
    let me see if I can post something here that might help dealing with time zones.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20120125&p1=179&p2=224&p3=64& p4=50

Please feel free to take a look. I am in San Francisco time zone, DD is in New York time zone, TWolf is in Chicago zone, and I think I got OVincze's vicinity close to correct as well.

I cannot wait and am very excited about this! Will ask Shades to sticky the thread.
    Last edited by Warum; 25th January 2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: practical thoughts --those occur to me some times. When I get to rise late enough in the merning ;)

Well, I'll go ahead and go if that is ok? I'll be in and out here for a while..so hope that is ok to just start?.

A) Super powdery and musky, floral. Don't like it at all. Musk is a must?..cause this irritates my nose so bad..I react badly to musk lately I think. This wants to be designer but isn't I don't think. This reminds me of Chloe Love a bit with that powdery musk and chemically note. This is a headache in a bottle, really! White flower, like jasmine? Maybe a vanilla or amber note in there? Super dry and powdery..it actually burns my nose to sniff this! I can't take it really! Lol. It's like sniffing scented talc powder. Animalic? I heard White Shoulders is powdery and musky. That would go with the dream thing..though I really haven't smelled WS, I don't think..or it's been a long time. The juice is similar to the color of WS? Ok maybe now a wood? Like sandalwood? I hope to move on to B cause this just is so very irritating and stuffy smelling. I am probably way off huh? LOL.
    Last edited by kalli; 25th January 2012 at 11:45 AM.

And the January sniff has started!
    kalli of course it is OK for you to start. I am glad you were courageous enough to be the first one.
    I just woke up thinking only OVincze would have posted by now. OVincze are you there? How is it going?

Hello everyone,

Ready for the start? I had a lot of of this morning, I spent a relatively short time with the fragrance and will try to describe everything I have smelled or felt. Ok, first, let me tell you I expected something entirely different, perhaps something shocking and urine or fecal smelling but none of that was true ROFL.

This is a fragrance I could have liked a few years back but something I would not wear today, my first impression on the opening was very strong gourmand notes (by very strong I mean that they dominated in my nose but the fragrance itself is not strong, neither does it have much sillage). It is a lighter fragrance and my immediate impression was gourmand, most likely vanilla, lots of it and/or perhaps caramel?:

Fruit right away and it was definitely strawberry but I may be completely wrong, still strawberries have a succulent sweetness that I smelled here but there could be many other sweet fruits that I do not know.

Flowers, they were there from the beginning but I knew this would be hard for me to break down the flowers. Now I have thought and thought about that and was unsure, maybe there is gardenia... but then I thought I smelled jasmine, still I knew there was a heady note that tends to make me dizzy and now that I have read that the theme is dreams I think it may be honeysuckle because that is a floral note always associated with dreams and memories and EL Pure White Linen in the pink bottle, cannot remember the exact name of that as it is now discontinued but I used to own that. I liked that fragrance but honeysuckle bothers me. I think I might be smelling violets too but a bit unsure now, it could be something else in there that reminds me of the Guerlain base.

The drydown, well, in about one hour I arrived to the drydown and then the fragrance pretty much dissipated so lasting power is khm not good. Even from the beginning I wondered about the base but the beautiful, heavy, resinous bases I personally prefer is definitely not there. Perhaps white musk or musk of some sort and later powder, maybe a tiny bit of sandalwood.

This fragrance does remind me of something a lot, I keep thinking I know this or have smelled it before or it smells like something I used to like. I am just happy that this morning I did not get my usual bad allergies so I was able to smell the sample. Yaay here we go, even if I flunked)) I tell everyone this is great fun. Now I am at work and will continue thinking, feeling and smelling. Cannot wait to hear what the others are saying.

kalli you are doing very well, by the way.

I am? ROFL!

Wow, we sure are in agreement about a lot, funny thing is that we have come on here about the same time and I think you posted while I wrote my first message. I do have to disagree about Love, Chloe, hey that is my very very favorite fume and I am very partial lol and love it to death but I am not in love with this fragrance at all. Yeap about the powder and musk but Love, Chloe is heavier, more complex to me the florals are entirely different in there Tand Love, Chloe is dominated by cinnamic tolu balsam and rice and I do not get that here at all. Instead I get the vanilla that is not present in Love, Chloe. The other difference we have so far is that I seem to get a lot more of the gourmand notes than you do and I do get fruit which you are not getting. Nice to see you here and hear from you!

And Ovincze is here too! Yay! Both of you are doing an excellent, excellent job. Let's see what Twolf's impressions are.
    In the meantime, feel free to post any other ideas.

You guys are great. Did you try a drop on paper too? Skin sometimes can change a perfume. Just make sure the paper does not have much smell in itself.

Wow, we have all signed on at around the same time, there must be a telepathy thing going on here)) Hi Darkdreams and hi Kalli.

What I did was open the bottle, sniff and I got the gourmand note right away, I blotted on clean paper and my wrist, my wrist seems to change the scent, true. I have the paper here and will keep sniffing on.

Ya, I know you wear Chloe..and ya, Chloe is much heavier..stronger. Lol..um let's see...there is a touch of sweetness in there..that's why I put vanilla..Lol..I don't know! Have we got any notes so far?

I just have mine on paper..I will put on the skin

I am smelling the paper and it is making me sick. I wondered early on if here was tuberose in here because I knew there were white flowers and the jasmine seemed apparent but there was something heady, I have no idea how many different florals are in there and need to think about this.

Thanks so much darkdreams that you are telling us we are doing a pretty decent job? Lol, Kalli. Are you getting any fruit like I got or was I completely off track. I only smelled it on the opening but then fruit is generally in the top notes.

Hehehe, I am not telling you anything (notes) just yet. I want to hear Twolf too and also to let you discuss it among yourselves. Perhaps you change your mind after you hear arguments from the others. But you are very good sniffers and are making a lot of progress. It looks like soon I will have to start giving you some answers.
    In the meantime, towards what gender do you think this is marketed? Designer, niche, drugstore? Price point? When do you think it was created?

It's even more floral on the skin..I like it much more on my skin than paper as the muskiness isn't as harsh. I am smelling more jasmine coming out? Some kind of white floral? whoo, it's a doozy on my nose!

Ya, really heady..tuberose came to mind as well. Ya, it's making me ill, lol! I would say 90's or even 80's, drugstore. Price..25 dollars(in the 80's, 90's). Would be my guess.

Not as powdery on my skin. I really don't know how WS smells but read it's not irritating to the nose..so maybe that's out. Oh it's not a good one, headache coming on..lol!

I put some on to "suffer" with you guys! This is not one of my favorites but I don't find it painfully bad either.

Keep the comments coming, you are doing so well.

Lol, Gardenia? Gosh, I have no idea..lol..cause gardenia makes me sick-like sometimes..I think gardenia?

Ok I have thought about when and my immediate thoughts were definitely vintage too, 80's perhaps, there are definite similarities to Angel but without the grand sillage, this lacks the sillage that is why I was torn but I also thought it smelled cheap and perhaps that is why. I think 80's or 90's as well but the 90's went in a different direction. However, there is something in there that reminds me of Cerruti 1881 pour Femme and that was 90's. And yes tuberose was an instant thought I had but I am not that familiar with that note yet, jasmine was one of the first I thought of and got and then somehow I also considered lily of the valley but again unsure, kinda hard that you are not telling us whether we are right about anything))

What about the fruit kalli? Are you getting any of that strawberry I got?

Pricepoint, my thoughts were cheaper too. I am unsure about this at this time though but yes it could be drugstore, I am still thinking about this...

Twolf is not here yet, I know she works today but she said she would have on and off access to the internet. After she has a chance to post her thoughts I will give you some answers. What notes the two of you seem to agree on most?