Code of Conduct

Default Batch variation in Creed fragrances

Ive heard a few people refer to a certain batch of creed or other niche house fragrances as "a good batch", suggesting that I could buy 2 bottles at different times and 1 might smell better than the other.

My question is - Are distinguishable batch variations common among niche fragrances? This is my biggest worry when deciding whether to splash out on an expensive bottle. I understand it's practically impossible to produce 100% identical batches every time but will these small differences ever be noticeable?

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Batch variation in Creed fragrances

As far as I know, Creed is the only brand with 'batch variation' issue, never heard that the other brands have this problem.

Creed claims that they use 'all natural' ingredients for each batch resulting in that issue.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Large houses have to document the exact composition of their perfumes (internally) accurately to avoid exactly this problem. For aroma chemicals the quality should in theory never change but natural oils / resins etc will vary in quality and availability. This can lead to variations and reformulations.

Some of the charm of vintage perfumes are what might be considered impurities such as Guerlains smoky vanillin before they nailed the synthesis.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daveikeagrohl View Post
    I understand it's practically impossible to produce 100% identical batches every time but will these small differences ever be noticeable?
    +1 ... are they even noticeable ?

Excellent replies guys thanks Makes perfect sense. I make a batch of vegetable soup every 4 or 5 days. I use the same, measured amounts of ingredients every time. It always tastes good but every now and again it tastes extra good. I guess it just depends on the quality of ingredients I got my hands on at that time. It must be the same for Creed as they use...

"flowers, woods, spices and citrus fruit selected, sorted out and chosen each year by our creator perfumer Olivier Creed"

Thanks again

Also wouldn't lose any sleep over batch differences.