Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    Sometimes it seems as if the line is more about "marketing" a concept than the end result.....the fragrance. While I appreciate and think the line has some really unique offerings, ie. Nuits de Noho, Chinatown, Riverside Dr. and Success is a job in New York to name a few... It has some pretty run of the mill fragrances as well. In other words some of their offerings feel like I have smelled them before but slightly different ...from another perfume house....

    Another thing I recently discovered is that their bottles are NOT screenprinted or silk screened but rather have a vinyl sticker applied to them for the artwork....On a product the costs close to $200.00 and upwards that is a bit cheap IMO...

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,718

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Another thing I recently discovered is that their bottles are NOT screenprinted or silk screened but rather have a vinyl sticker applied to them for the artwork....On a product the costs close to $200.00 and upwards that is a bit cheap IMO...
    Agree with you.

  3. #3

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    Although I have refrained from sample Bond frags, so am a bit ignorant about their quality, I know I strongly dislike their marketing practices, legal department, and aesthetics in general. I know they've needlessly sued others in the perfume industry, and seem to go out of their way to make samples difficult to obtain (for free, anyway, they have a "generous" offer to pay for samples on their website). I'd prefer not to waste my time...

  4. #4

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    Although I have refrained from sample Bond frags, so am a bit ignorant about their quality, I know I strongly dislike their marketing practices, legal department, and aesthetics in general. I know they've needlessly sued others in the perfume industry, and seem to go out of their way to make samples difficult to obtain (for free, anyway, they have a "generous" offer to pay for samples on their website). I'd prefer not to waste my time...
    I have seen on their website that they charge for samples...but I must say that the SA's that have waited on me in the stores that carry their line have always been generous with their samples and I have never had to pay for any....

  5. #5

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    Many of the Niche lines have a cheap label on the bottle and there are times that the label is not even straight!!! I feel that many of the Niche lines have the very good and not so very good fragrances.....So I agree with what You are saying!!!
    Gary

  6. #6

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    Also, their caps seem to be pretty loose on the bottle. I do really like some of their scents though.

  7. #7
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,639

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    Agree on the cap!

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one that I own (Harrods Swarovski Ltd Edition) but find the rest of them mostly smoothly, capably conventional -- too boring for me. Also, they have several similar frags that retread the same ground. The one I own is definitely the black sheep of the herd.

  8. #8
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    I feel like their fragrances are a bit hit-or-miss, and I just try to be patient and hang on for the hits. For me, they've been on a streak of good ones recently. I've generally not thought much of the Andy Warhol fragrances, sadly, but the Harrods line and the recent New York and I <3 NY lines have all tickled my fancy. A lot of that has been Laurent Le Guernec, who I think does some of their best work.

    Bond is modern with an eye on trendiness - so I don't mind their obvious attention to what's hot and what's not. Let Creed do the retro thing - they do it so well. Bond does high-end modern mainstream, and I value them for that.

    As for the legalistic stuff - obviously the lesson was learned, and that's old history. There was about a year on here where Bond no. 9 was not mentioned without pitchforks and torches. Bond hasn't flubbed like that in ages, and I don't expect them to do a repeat any time soon. I mean - honestly - I hadn't even HEARD of these other outfits with "peace" scents until the brouhaha about them. Jumping their case was a bad move for sure.

    The decant thing is tricky. The whole fragrance world is making money on the fact that folks buy more fragrance than they need. You can see how decants use up the juice more sensibly. Clearly that does hurt Bond. And yet everybody else lets decanting go. Is it because Bond sells those "bonbons" that compete in the same range? I don't know - I tend to think that the marketing aspects on that issue were probably a net negative, and it would have been better to just let it go.

    My fave at the moment is Harrods for Him. Man, I love that stuff!
    * * * *

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,676

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    like so many, perhaps all, Houses, Bond has had its share of hits and misses ... as with any selections from any House, you have to wade through the offerings to see what inspires you ...

    I second MonkeyBars' enthusiasm for Harrods Swarovski Limited Edition ...

  10. #10
    Dependent fragranceman88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Re: While I appreciate Bond No. 9 and some of it's fragrances......

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Sometimes it seems as if the line is more about "marketing" a concept than the end result.....the fragrance. While I appreciate and think the line has some really unique offerings, ie. Nuits de Noho, Chinatown, Riverside Dr. and Success is a job in New York to name a few... It has some pretty run of the mill fragrances as well. In other words some of their offerings feel like I have smelled them before but slightly different ...from another perfume house....

    Another thing I recently discovered is that their bottles are NOT screenprinted or silk screened but rather have a vinyl sticker applied to them for the artwork....On a product the costs close to $200.00 and upwards that is a bit cheap IMO...
    Totally agree with you although I love New Haarlem

Similar Threads

  1. Bond fragrances.
    By mttafire in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd February 2008, 07:44 PM
  2. Bond No 9 Fragrances to hit Bermuda
    By Otto in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th November 2007, 02:38 PM
  3. Thoughts on Bond 9 fragrances?
    By madgradrx in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12th August 2005, 06:41 AM
  4. The New Fragrances From Bond No. 9
    By WindyCity1014 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 28th July 2005, 02:22 PM
  5. The New Fragrances From Bond No. 9
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000