Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Guerlain vetiver, givenchy vetyver, chanel sycamore, which to buy!

depends on what you can afford but i will say sycamore. Just amazing

I was about to pull the trigger on the Sycomore (sorry for the misspelling in my op), and then backed off and ordered a bunch of small decants from TPC. I'll take a week or so and get a feel for them. The one I did not get a sample or decant of was Encre Noir, just an oversight. This one has the most mixed reviews in the fragrance directory, but sounds like I would like it from the descriptions on this thread-- great descriptions of the Sycomore and Encre Noir dollars&scents, thanks. Tempted to blind buy both of them just based on that! I thought the TF Grey was great, but I did need 5 or 6 sprays to get it to project for me, and even then it was pretty close to the skin.

I'll have a bottle and/or large decant of at least one of these vetivers, probably more like three, by the end of next week.

hmmm, MPG's Route de Vetiver and Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire are also worth adding, only because the former is a very different take on the note and the latter is maybe the most technically 'accurate' capture of the note according to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Sycamore. If you were to add Grey Vetiver I would go with that.
    +1

For me the Guerlain Vetiver smells pretty dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    It's a non contest. Chanel Sycamore for sure.
    Yes and with some basic search youllnfind a similar recent thread.
    for swap/sale:

This Vetiver hunt is getting more complicated the more I learn. So many good ones! Yep, there are plenty of Vetiver threads on BN, but, hey, I am really enjoying this one.

this one should give you a good sense...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247024-Best-vetiver
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Your three choices are all very good IMO but Chanel Sycamore for me is more special.
    This!!!