Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ivoire Gone Bad?

I recently bought a bottle of Ivoire de Balmain from Overstock.com based on the many glowing reviews. I love soapy florals so was not too concerned about buying it unsniffed. It smells overwhelmingly like cumin/body odor, with very little floral or soapiness!!! Even sprayed on paper, it has this strong, overbearing cumin smell. I use cumin frequently in my cooking, so I would not call myself overly sensitive or adverse to cumin at all, but this is just disgusting. I researched online to see if anyone else mentioned this at all, and really found nothing to that effect. Do you think it has gone bad from age or improper storage?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate any input, as I am trying to determine if I should argue with Overstock to return it as damaged. I have been a big lurker on basenotes for over a year, and only recently registered...

Default Re: Ivoire Gone Bad?

The bottom line is, if you're not happy with the way it smells, then I'd try to return it.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the response... I will try to return it, despite their policy of no returns on perfume. I was just curious if the overpowering cumin could be a sign of it going bad, or if it is just me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you sprayed it on your skin & let it dry down for an hour or more? It does have a sharp smell that you may not be expecting. It's actually galbanum. It also could just be old. Perfume changes in the dry-down. You won't be able to exchange it if you don't like how it smells. Perfume companies are pretty stinky about that as a rule. That's why samples are such a great idea.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response Kumquat! (I love your screen name! mmm...) I wish it was blasting me with galbanum! I would enjoy that a great deal! I've done two skin tests over several hours, and I usually have fun with the evolution of a scent. This one was gross from start to finish when I finally gave up and scrubbed it off. I do think this one was stored improperly or something like that. It seems like there are no aldehydes/florals left in it and apparently the top notes are often the first to go, so I don't know why I doubted myself! I guess I was in disbelief at the stench! lol... Overstock has pretty good customer service, so hopefully they will take care of me. They certainly have enough of my money by now...

Re. your comment on returns, that's funny, because every department store and Sephora I've been to has urged me to buy whatever fragrance I sample and just return it if I don't like it! I never do that, as I don't have time to go back and forth returning things and that just sounds so wasteful. Perhaps it is because these stores mostly carry designer mass marketed fragrances--- However, I am definitely in a "sample-mode" now that my eyes have been opened to niche frags!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, good, it sounds like you've had some experience already. Sorry if I sounded like I didn't give you credit for knowing what you were smelling.

I remember when I bought my first bottle online and I knew there was something wrong with it. I paid $100 for Caron Violette Precieuse. It was hard to find then, impossible now. It was spoiled and had a strong turpentine opening. When I put it back in the box & retuned it, (there was a $ back promise if not satisfied) I got the brush-off. I ended up eating the $100. He said I had to send him $10 more so he could return the used bottle to me!

Often you'll run into a %20 re-stocking fee. Dept stores usually take returns, though.

BTW, 3 years later I found a good bottle of VP, and, I was right, that first one was old and cooked.