Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guerlain vetiver, givenchy vetyver, chanel sycamore, which to buy!

I can't decide! I have sampled a couple of vetivers recently, creed original and tom ford grey, and like them both. I also like gourmands, and if I am reading the reviews right, some of these vetivers have a sweet component to them. I will probably end up with more than one vetiver eventually, just don't know where to start. I am leaning toward the guerlain, as it is reasonably priced and sounds interesting. However the givenchy also sounds nice, as a dryer example (I imagine a bit closer to the Tom Ford interpretation).

What would you pick for your first, and why-- either one of the above or something else entirely? I know there are a ton of them, and they nearly all seem to get good reviews.

I probably need to start thinking decants, as I am starting to pile up the bottles at this point.

Default Re: Guerlain vetiver, givenchy vetyver, chanel sycamore, which to buy!

Your three choices are all very good IMO but Chanel Sycamore for me is more special.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a non contest. Chanel Sycamore for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guerlain Vetiver is the reference vetiver. If you've sampled Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, then you'd already have a good idea of it. Guerlain Vetiver (in the recently discontinued ribbed bottle) is like that, but a bit more mature with a prominent tobacco note. The newest formulation in the Habit Rouge-style bottle is thinner and weaker, but drier, more austere, and closer to the original version, of which I have a bottle.

You said you dig sweet fragrances. Sycomore is anything but sweet. It's a dry, smoky, peppery vetiver without an ounce of sweetness in it. It's a quality fragrance, no doubt, but it can be challenging. If you've tried Terre d'Hermes, Sycomore is very similar to that. Another fragrance very similar to Sycomore is Encre Noire (Black Ink) by Lalique, which has less pepper.

Which leaves Givenchy's Vetyver, which *does* have some sweetness to it, but it's very rooty and earthy, with an almost carrot-like smell. I would try that one second or last. It's still a good fragrance that you may very well like.

They're all great fragrances; don't get me wrong. If you want a good sweet vetiver, however, go the extra step and get samples of Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens and Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain. Both of them, especially Pour Elle, are well worth the investment. Ignore the name on Pour Elle - it's a terrific masculine.
    Last edited by Grottola; 21st January 2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: #swag
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I may just go that way, then. The Sycamore certainly gets the most interesting and complimentary reviews. The best deal on it seems to be direct from Chanel.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All your choices are fantastic, but Sycamore stands out the most.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Grottola, those descriptions help a lot. I actually do like Terre d'Hermes. I am going to hunt for samples of the Vetiver Oriental and Pour Elle, they sound intriguing. Seems like I can't go wrong, here.

Are there any "bad" vetivers, that are particularly unpopular? I know some people don't like vetivers in general, but I have not come across a reviewed vetiver that even vetiver fans do not like.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver is the reference vetiver. I've you've sampled Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, then you'd already have a good idea of it. Guerlain Vetiver (in the recently discontinued ribbed bottle) is like that, but a bit more mature with a prominent tobacco note. The newest formulation in the Habit Rouge-style bottle is thinner and weaker, but drier, more austere, and closer to the original version, of which I have a bottle.

You said you dig sweet fragrances. Sycomore is anything but sweet. It's a dry, smoky, peppery vetiver without an ounce of sweetness in it. It's a quality fragrance, no doubt, but it can be challenging. If you've tried Terre d'Hermes, Sycomore is very similar to that. Another fragrance very similar to Sycomore is Encre Noire (Black Ink) by Lalique, which has less pepper.

Which leaves Givenchy's Vetyver, which *does* have some sweetness to it, but it's very rooty and earthy, with an almost carrot-like smell. I would try that one second or last. It's still a good fragrance that you may very well like.

They're all great fragrances; don't get me wrong. If you want a good sweet vetiver, however, go the extra step and get samples of Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens and Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain. Both of them, especially Pour Elle, are well worth the investment. Ignore the name on Pour Elle - it's a terrific masculine.
    Well Done...

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore's by far my favorite, but these are all different enough that I don't think you'd really have to worry about overlap if you got bottles or decants of each.

It depends what kind of vetiver do you want. Wet? Dry? Sweet? Fresh?
    From the three vetiver perfumes listed I would choose Guerlain Vetiver. It is very refreshing, it's great for summer. On me it projects very well and lasts 8+. Masterpiece!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver is the reference vetiver.
    Tony is correct of course, and this has to be your starting point. Buy this one first.

I would choose ribbed bottle Guerlain vetiver since it's inexpensive, serious, manly, simple and smells nice. Not sweet though.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver FTW

Guerlain Vetiver starts out VERY SHARP, which turns a lot of people away from it.
    But give it 15-20 minutes and you start to feel the real heart of this frag.

I get 6-8 hours longevity from this - often hybrid it with Paco Rabanne Pour Homme !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd go for Sycomore which is quite one of a kind. The Guerlain and Givenchy are both amazing but more sort of no-sorprise type of vetivers...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore by Chanel - Upon application, one is treated to a stimulating wave of hesperidic notes, with their inherent tangerine, orange, bergamot and lemon flavors; aldehydes heigthen their sparkliness. Riding the crest of this citrus swell, haitian vetiver imparts its green and smoky facets. A faint anise bobs about. Carried to the waiting middle, fruity and shyly spicy pink pepper showers the airy and bitter vetiver, and is married with the fresh and clean woodiness of cypress, while a hint of sensual jasmine and haunting frankincense waft about. Transitioning to the welcoming base, creamy sandlewood, dry cedar and pine needle-like juniper encase the rooty vetiver, as delicate ylang-ylang lightly mists the lush and woodsy melange adding a trace of powder, and orris masterfully impregnates the concoction with its wet, earthy and slight violet-like facets. With a feebly sour and warm musk flickering, and a sweet and balsamic styrax adding a kiss of vanilla, an exquisite drydown ensues. This elegant composition befits a gentleman. A tasteful and refined, all-season fragrance, it has average projection and good longevity.

or

Encore Noire by Lalique - One is initially treated to a drenched, citrusy greenness, afforded by the haitian vetiver, which progresses to an earthiness somewhat akin to the saturated soil of a marsh littered with struggling greens. A warming greenness ensues, brought about by the bourbon vetiver. A duet of vetivers is consummated. From this green, damp and dirty duet, the bourbon vetiver overtakes with a burning, ember-like texture. In the distance, the cool crispness of cypress wood tantalizes, and the tempering heart beckons. Here, the spicy cypress wood stews lusciously with the wrestling vetivers, imparting a dry smokiness to the brew. Transitioning to the soothing base, a sweetness from the cashmere wood taints the subdued vetivers, and combines with a sensual musk to impart a wonderful, dry and animalic woodiness. This exquisite fragrance has a refined and complex uniqueness. A true gem, this high quality scent has good projection and very good longevity, and warrants your indulgence.

Post Thanks / Like

Sycamore. If you were to add Grey Vetiver I would go with that.

Guerlain...because it is classic..
    http://bleauog.blogspot.com/ - my blog

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love all of those. And they are all sufficiently different to justify buying all three. Perhaps the safest is the Givenchy, as the tobacco note in the Guerlain some find off-putting and the Sycomore is a pricey blind buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Sycamore wins - hands down

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore is beautiful, rich, smooth, smoky, and sophisticated. Can't imagine it disappointing, unless you don't like vetiver. If you have a chance to get it, it's a must-purchase. Nobody will fault you for having this and the Guerlain, though.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite vetivers are, in this order, Vetiver Extraordinaire (light, dry, cedary) and Sycomore (smoky woody). Neither has any sweetness. For that, there's Vetiver tonka; I dislike it, but sweet it is. Also Diptyque Vetyverio, light and with a touch of fruits; I use it at the gym because of its lightness.

The guerlain is good and not too expensive, so why not?

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

...make it Sycomore: the best Vetiver around...or Encre Noire which smells close to Sycomore...!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Etro Vetiver. Very nice and affordable.

None, go for Encre Noire. Cheap and good as hell.

Ps: sycOmore or sycAmore?

Quote Originally Posted by srmd22 View Post
    I have sampled a couple of vetivers recently, creed original ... leaning toward the guerlain, as it... sounds interesting. However the givenchy also sounds nice ...
    The Creed is not a vetiver, because it is 'original'. I've been told the term denotes a completely free interpretation which may result in something You won't expect.

Givenchy and Guerlain are completely different! Sample them before a purchase.

Guerlain: relies on vetiveryl acetate, a 'fresh' chemical derivative of the natural oil plus tobacco. An early fresh cologne.
    Givenchy: nutty and bold as the natural oil, stuffiness even pronounced, some aldehydes added for lift? Delicious if You stand it.

Contemporary concoctions use massive doses of Iso E Super to give vetiver a light 'perfumey' aura, Kenzo - Air for instance. Same with Encre and the Ford thingy. Don't like them.

Hefty vetiver/patchouly burnt and smoky: Yosh - Sombre Negra, quite expensive and exclusive, though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post

Ps: sycOmore or sycAmore?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Guerlain vetiver, givenchy vetyver, chanel sycamore, which to buy!

CHANEL Sycomore but i would prefer LALIQUE Encre Noire
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore, if money is no object. Guerlain if it is. Can't go wrong either way, really.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

How many people in here have honestly tried Givenchy Vetyver?

I really enjoy Original Vetiver by Creed and Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford, the others I have not tried.

Post Thanks / Like

depends on what you can afford but i will say sycamore. Just amazing

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to pull the trigger on the Sycomore (sorry for the misspelling in my op), and then backed off and ordered a bunch of small decants from TPC. I'll take a week or so and get a feel for them. The one I did not get a sample or decant of was Encre Noir, just an oversight. This one has the most mixed reviews in the fragrance directory, but sounds like I would like it from the descriptions on this thread-- great descriptions of the Sycomore and Encre Noir dollars&scents, thanks. Tempted to blind buy both of them just based on that! I thought the TF Grey was great, but I did need 5 or 6 sprays to get it to project for me, and even then it was pretty close to the skin.

I'll have a bottle and/or large decant of at least one of these vetivers, probably more like three, by the end of next week.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, MPG's Route de Vetiver and Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire are also worth adding, only because the former is a very different take on the note and the latter is maybe the most technically 'accurate' capture of the note according to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Sycamore. If you were to add Grey Vetiver I would go with that.
    +1

For me the Guerlain Vetiver smells pretty dated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    It's a non contest. Chanel Sycamore for sure.
    Yes and with some basic search youllnfind a similar recent thread.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

This Vetiver hunt is getting more complicated the more I learn. So many good ones! Yep, there are plenty of Vetiver threads on BN, but, hey, I am really enjoying this one.

Post Thanks / Like

this one should give you a good sense...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247024-Best-vetiver
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Your three choices are all very good IMO but Chanel Sycamore for me is more special.
    This!!!