Code of Conduct

Default Help me choose for a date.....

I know that this is a topic that pops up semi-regularly on here, but I'd really appreciate any knowledgable input from my fellow basenoters......!

There's a possibility that I may soon get a date with a girl I'm really quite into. I'm not a 'regular' dater - I've been single 3 years plus with only maybe a few weeks of 'serious' dating during that time. So this isn't an everyday occurence for me, and it won't be just a quick, casual drink - more like a fairly smart meal/hopefully an entire evening.

As I said, I'm quite seriously attracted to this girl so this isn't a throwaway thing. I want to impress, but obviously without going OTT. I'm 30 by the way if that helps.

From my collection, I'm thinking the shortlist at the moment to wear is Tobacco Vanille, Dior Homme, Tom Ford Extreme & Polo Modern Reserve. I include the last one largely because of it's proven compliment-getting qualities, but to be honest it's probably the outsider as I consider it more of a daily wear than a special-occasion scent for me. I have a 35-40 bottle collection to choose from though, other than these.

Would really like to hear any thoughts & advice.....!

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Help me choose for a date.....

Unfortunately I've only been able to smell Tobacco Vanille and Polo Reserve from the 4 you list (TV is, to my nose, an excellent choice for a date if applied sparingly), so I can't fully comment on what would be best. But I did want to say that is awesome, and to have a great time--dates with girls you are quite into are probably the greatest thing the world has to offer.

Dependent

From reviews here it seem that tom ford tobacco vanille would be a rather good choice. But personally i think dior homme is nice. Sexy and 'creamy'
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I would say TF Extreme. It is classy, masculine, but not over the top and intruding in any way. But wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident, and most important something YOU like. I would personally hate sitting in a cloud of something 'Meh...', which could make it look like I didn't like being with her
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Looking at your wardrobe, may I suggest Chergui? It would be a very good choice for a date in which you place some store. Dior Homme might not be the best choice, because of the makeup associations of its iris - but the best choice is definitely what you feel you can wear with confidence, however.

Good luck! I hope it goes well.

Whats the weather like where you live? I think Green Irish Tweed is a very underrated fragrance in this situation. I think its the perfect first date fragrance. Safe, sexy, clean, masculine, classy. You cannot possibly in any way go wrong with Green Irish Tweed.

If its simply to cold for GIT, you CANNOT go wrong with Dior Homme in a classy setting.

Sur la Plage

From your short list, anything but Polo Modern Reserve.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

And have a good date btw. Yiddo!
    - Mark

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

From your wardrobe, I picked the most inoffensive, safe and least sexy fragrances. Seriously, you really risk the chance of coming across as "trying too hard to impress" if you wear anything thick and sexy. For this reason, I choose the boring Polo Blue or Polo Sport from what you have. Save the sexy alluring scents for the remainder of your dates. Learn from me and millions of other men who have learned this lesson the hard way. Nothing makes a girl lose interest faster than a guy who is trying too hard to win her over.

Think of the message you want to send non-verbally. Whatever you wear will communicate to her in a certain way.
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 23rd January 2012 at 03:32 PM.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Tom Ford Extreme is the most seductive choice. Elegance without trying too hard

Dior Homme would be fine IMO.

Dior Homme would work well, but Millesime Imperial would be even better. Women really love this fragrance, at least that's been my experience. Save the stronger frags for the followup dates.

Basenotes Member

For a first real "date" I always prefer a subtle scent approach vs the bam I can smell my date from across the table. It's always delightful when you catch a whiff when leaning in a bit or walking close by.....As always being polite, smiling and attentive supersede any fg choice you make Hope your date goes fantastically!
    Looking For - Guerlain Spiritueuese Double Vanille (full bottle, partial bottle, decant, anything), Profumum Roma Vanitas & Dulcis in Fundo, Farmacia SS Annunziata Cara

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    And have a good date btw. Yiddo!
    Thanks mate! I went to the game yesterday btw, not a good day in the end (the very, very end!)......

Many thanks to all. Some very good points/advice here!

I had also thought of Chergui, and the Creeds that I own, as well as the 'shortlist' that I mentioned, so it's something to think about that people mentioned these unprompted.

However the point about subtlety is also definitely something to consider.....on the one hand I'd love to go with the 'big guns' (ie TV) & bank on them impressing, but on the other I can see that this could seem a bit much......and there's no way of knowing how an individual would react to either choice...

But I'll enjoy mulling it over! Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    Thanks mate! I went to the game yesterday btw, not a good day in the end (the very, very end!)......
    It was damn horrible, we were so so close... Couldn't eat anything after that, I was that gutted. If Defoe had netted that late chance, it would have been a whole different Sunday for me, but you cannot put a finger on the lads' effort and spirit in the second half, that was a top top performance. It would have been worse if the team had performed miserably, but we were marginally beaten so we have to be positive about the rest of the season. Form is still looking good, and with Watford and Wigan coming up and not being the hardest games, they hopefully provide a cushion for the lads' confidence. COYS!
    - Mark

I would avoid Tobacco Vanille. IMO, thats a strong love/hate scent and could be a huge turn off.

Dior Homme would be my choice.

Good luck!

hi from your short list i would say dior homme. im in my late 30's and i like the scent. I bought by husband yves saint laurent L'homme the limited edition 6.7 ounce bottle but it comes in smaller bottles and its very office like. nice subltle yet sexy in that you can get close without chocking and its a good choice for all year wear. good luck!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    I think Green Irish Tweed is a very underrated fragrance in this situation. I think its the perfect first date fragrance. Safe, sexy, clean, masculine, classy. You cannot possibly in any way go wrong with Green Irish Tweed.
    this ^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post

There's a possibility that I may soon get a date with a girl I'm really quite into. I'm not a 'regular' dater - I've been single 3 years plus with only maybe a few weeks of 'serious' dating during that time. So this isn't an everyday occurence for me, and it won't be just a quick, casual drink - more like a fairly smart meal/hopefully an entire evening.

As I said, I'm quite seriously attracted to this girl so this isn't a throwaway thing. I want to impress, but obviously without going OTT. I'm 30 by the way if that helps.
    I realize this isn't a dating advice site but I have to say this anyway-it is almost always a big mistake to take a girl to an expensive dinner on a first date. A woman is most attracted to a man when she has to earn his respect and favor, not when he showers her with the good stuff right from the start.
    The more you demonstrate that you are into her early on, the less she will be into you. Just female nature. Don't chase her, make her want to chase you. Keep it casual- just meet her for drinks and maybe appetizers at a decent place.
    Personally, most of the time i take my first dates to dive bars and make sure I flirt a little with other girls. Drives 'em wild.

I would go with something from your wardrobe that is manly and right for cool weather and doesn't seem to be trying too hard
    such as TF Extreme, TF Men, D&G The One, GIT, Grey Vetiver, Burberry London

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Dior Homme would work well, but Millesime Imperial would be even better. Women really love this fragrance, at least that's been my experience. Save the stronger frags for the followup dates.
    +1 on MI

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmelltheGlove View Post
    I realize this isn't a dating advice site but I have to say this anyway-it is almost always a big mistake to take a girl to an expensive dinner on a first date. A woman is most attracted to a man when she has to earn his respect and favor, not when he showers her with the good stuff right from the start.
    The more you demonstrate that you are into her early on, the less she will be into you. Just female nature. Don't chase her, make her want to chase you. Keep it casual- just meet her for drinks and maybe appetizers at a decent place.
    Personally, most of the time i take my first dates to dive bars and make sure I flirt a little with other girls. Drives 'em wild.

I would go with something from your wardrobe that is manly and right for cool weather and doesn't seem to be trying too hard
    such as TF Extreme, TF Men, D&G The One, GIT, Grey Vetiver, Burberry London

Good Luck!
    Definitely try to grab a few numbers off the other girls at the dive bar. That's classic first date. If your frag seems a bit thin towards the end of the night see if you can't scrounge up a little marinara from somewhere and just hide a dab behind your ears. Chicks dig gourmands.

Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in; that special fragrance that makes you feel like the man!