Code of Conduct

Cool Kenzo Pour Homme ( 1991) : What do you think ? Possible for non-aquatic fan ?

Hey guys,

Maybe it's the winter. Maybe it's restlessness. But most likely it's that I really struggle with summer fragrances and am trying to be pro-active about finding something I like to wear on hot days ( yes, it does get hot up here sometimes)

I am a bit interested in Kenzo fragrances. They really do have nice ads and packaging. Of course, no one ever buys a fragrance for that reason. Not me at least

I've read all the reviews and threads. I know generally what this fragrance is about, but never sampled it. Some reviews took my notice. I like that manicboy appreciates this ( good taste). Some reviewer(s) mention oakmoss in the drydown.

What concerns me is that I am generally not crazy for this genre. That is, I have very little luck. Kenzo pour Homme gets compared to Bvlgari Aqva, which is a scent that makes me sick. It turns very salty and sour on my skin

This fragrance seems to be oceanic in a way from the descriptions. I would be surprised if I smelled something close to L'eau d'Issey or Acqua di Gio pour Homme. They seem more casual sporty scents with a good dose of "wateryness". Maybe closer to Guy Larouche Horizon ( not too crazy for this one) ? I don't think it sounds as spicy or mossy as New West for Him ( which to me does not smell like an aquatic or oceanic per se, but I only sampled twice nor have ever been to a beach in California)

What I would like to know is how you feel about this fragrance. How would you rate it ? Especially if you have little luck with aquatics. Also, how close is the current formula to the original ?

I don't see this fragrance mentioned too often here. I wonder what that means ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kenzo Pour Homme ( 1991) : What do you think ? Possible for non-aquatic fan ?

Kenzo pour Homme certainly evokes the air around a beach. It does not have the "kelp/sea-weed" vibe that is in Bulgari Aqua (which i do not really like). KpH does not have the high-pitched intro which most who do not like Horizon complain about. The (not too strong but detectable) nutmeg and clove in KpH changes the aquatic game significantly and, IMO, are what make KpH unique in its genre.

I am not an aquatic fan but love KpH and New West. They are different enough to won both.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Default Re: Kenzo Pour Homme ( 1991) : What do you think ? Possible for non-aquatic fan ?

Yeah, I agree with perfaddict...This is definitely unique from all else in the genre. This is aquatic, but not in the trendy or typical definition of aquatic fragrances. This is complex, herbal, dry, aromatic, more sea-like than aquatic, and filled with the strangeness of seaweed all at the same time. At first you'll wonder, can I really wear this as a cologne? But as it transitions, you'll begin to discover just how well-suited it is for the task. Its distinct, long-lasting, fresh and enjoyable. Good for the summer but can be worn year round. Its good enough to be a signature and I've gotten positive feedback from it, though not from tons of people. My girlfriend really enjoyed when I wore almost exclusively one summer. That;s just my two scents...
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Sort of a woodsy aquatic to me. Still may be too aquatic for you.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I'd give it a try. It's a very nice fragrance IMO.

Would be better if the aquatic part of it were toned down more, I do think KpH is one of the better ones though. Millesime Imperial is the only aquatic I've found that I really like so far.

Kenzo Pour Homme is a great all year fragrance. Not a typical aquatic and much better than B. Aqua (which I have). KPH was much better before reformulation so if you can grab an old bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Millesime Imperial is the only aquatic I've found that I really like so far.
    +1. It's no biggie, I just wear vetivers or citric frags on hot days.

The smell is quite unique and easily identifiable. It has good sillage and I enjoy getting wafts of it, but sniffed closely it reminds me of paint, which is the reason I don't have it. There's also the lighet Fresh version.

I guess, not overly aquatic, a rather neutral and versatile scent

Cool Re: Kenzo Pour Homme ( 1991) : What do you think ? Possible for non-aquatic fan ?

Hi, Surfacing.

Hm--I remember it was complex (or at least complex compared to the other stuff I smelled at Sephora that day) but no great shakes. I didn't even bother to review it.

Who knows? You might love it.

When you look at the reviews compare the reviewer with whatever they said about Bulgari Aqua

Aqua/Marines are not my favorite category either but in case Kenzo doesn't work, look up these reviews:

1. Parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru (2002)
    by Comme des Garons

2. Gai Mattiolo Uomo

3. Erolfa.

4. Vtiver by Annick Goutal

And I don't believe you're in any danger of purchasing Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Marine
    A flanker which is even worse than the original release.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

KPH falls into that unordinary aquatic story such as Fahrenheit Aqua and Boss Elements Aqua. All three are, sort to speak, great 3 different interpretations of water. Kenzo itself has this thick, sweet/salty ocean - tropical beach kick that really makes it special. I will most certainly replenish the bottle once it's gone+reminds me of time when I began this hobby.

It's a nice fragrance though not my style. Suits well for some without doubt. It appears to me a bit melancholic, introvert, peaceful, natural, soothing, fresh, clean, a bit herbal and watery. I could even use it myself at the lonely peaceful moments or rainy days.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Kenzo Homme is 'aquatic' in the sense that it smells like rotten fish at low tide.

IMO, it's truly a disgusting scent. No offense to anyone who likes it, we all interpret things differently.

Anyway, I think L'Eau D'Issey Eau D'Ete Summer Edition 2009 is the best aquatic available. Millesime Imperial is also very good, but expensive.

Actually, Izod by Izod is a great, cheap aquatic and it might be what you're looking for. It's got something interesting notes and is fresh, watery and bright. For 15 dollars you can't beat it. It should be more popular, but there was probably zero marketing behind it.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Kenzo Homme is 'aquatic' in the sense that it smells like rotten fish at low tide.
    Sounds like a real winner.;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

IMO, it's truly a disgusting scent. No offense to anyone who likes it, we all interpret things differently.

Anyway, I think L'Eau D'Issey Eau D'Ete Summer Edition 2009 is the best aquatic available. Millesime Imperial is also very good, but expensive.

Actually, Izod by Izod is a great, cheap aquatic and it might be what you're looking for. It's got something interesting notes and is fresh, watery and bright. For 15 dollars you can't beat it. It should be more popular, but there was probably zero marketing behind it.
    Hehe funny. I don't know where did you get your KPH bottle but assure you it does not smell like what you've just described

I find this to be a fantastic scent!!! A very different aquatic for sure!!!
    Gary

hey, surfacing. It's a really weird one, and IMO wears even better in the winter. Although it works very well in the heat too.
    It has a sweet and herbal discord going and it's pretty much the key to the whole fragrance. The rubber note that is mentioned is not like bulgari black. Rather a plasticky thing.

I'm not sure if you'll like it, but it's not a regular aquatic. It's denser. But it's projection is very refreshing. Try before you buy, but definitely try.

Also try lanvin oxygene and issey bleue. Herbal/coniferous with a touch of water.

Wow, you guys are so helpful ! Thank you so much
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

All the responses in this thread are helpful. Please add more if you can

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    ... The (not too strong but detectable) nutmeg and clove in KpH changes the aquatic game significantly and, IMO, are what make KpH unique in its genre....
    Interesting. I smelled clove and nutmeg in Jungle pour Homme. Or is that cardamom and nutmeg ? Sometimes I get mixed up with my cold spices. Either way, it sounds good. I like that it is unique in its genre.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    Yeah, I agree with perfaddict...This is definitely unique from all else in the genre. This is aquatic, but not in the trendy or typical definition of aquatic fragrances. This is complex, herbal, dry, aromatic, more sea-like than aquatic, and filled with the strangeness of seaweed all at the same time. At first you'll wonder, can I really wear this as a cologne? But as it transitions, you'll begin to discover just how well-suited it is for the task. Its distinct, long-lasting, fresh and enjoyable....
    I like what I read

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Sort of a woodsy aquatic to me. Still may be too aquatic for you.
    I'm thinking that in a way. I really gotta search hard for a sample. I can get a Kenzo Fraise pour Homme sample. Perhaps it can be close enought ? What mainly bothers me about aquatics is that they turn salty, sour or just nasty on me. Many were simply unwearable

One reviewer for Kenzo pour Homme mentioned aquatics smelled like lighter fluid or burning vinyl to him and said that is why he disliked them. Honestly, if they smelled that way, I would love them Mmmmm...... burning vinyl and lighter fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    ...KPH was much better before reformulation so if you can grab an old bottle
    Eh.....uh-oh. So you think the older is better, it seems. I can get an older bottle, but will be a tad more pricey. Although the main issue is convenience and date of the juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    ...And I don't believe you're in any danger of purchasing Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Marine
    A flanker which is even worse than the original release...
    No, not at all Mario. I did a wrist test back in the day and I think I gagged. This was before Basenotes.

Thanks for the rec's. I have sampeld the Comme des Garcons. Its not bad. I remember being dissapointed at first, but in hindsight, I can appreciate it. I was expecting something close to the Guerlain or Givenchy Vetivers/Vetyvers. It comes across as refreshing and that can be great on a hot say.

The Gai Mattiolo Uomo sounds interesting as well

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    hey, surfacing. It's a really weird one, and IMO wears even better in the winter. Although it works very well in the heat too.
    It has a sweet and herbal discord going and it's pretty much the key to the whole fragrance. The rubber note that is mentioned is not like bulgari black. Rather a plasticky thing.

I'm not sure if you'll like it, but it's not a regular aquatic. It's denser. But it's projection is very refreshing. Try before you buy, but definitely try...
    Thanks S Well, your winter may be okay. Ours...not so much. Although I know Turkey does get snow and cold weather. I guess I will have to eventually find out.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I dont like aquatic scents too but kenzo i dont hate, maybe because i find it rather citric and as all kenzo this is close to skin. It has good longevity however. I doubt i will find a aquatic frag that will turn my thoughts about this genre of frags.

To my nose there are aquatic scents - Gio, Bvlgari Aqua, Hilton's Just me, Jill Sander's Pure Man, Eternity Summer.
    And then there are marine scents which don't smell anything much like aquatic acents - Erolfa, Nautilus Aqua, Incense Ultramarine, Bvlgari Aqua Marine.

To my nose, Kenzo is an interesting marine scent with doubly interesting seaweed notes.
    Regards,
    Renato