Code of Conduct

Default Getting rid of the "average"? Ever done it?

I have a strong desire to winnow my collection down to about 20 favorites. I find myself wearing less than stellar scents just to give them a chance or turn. Then I end up ignoring some truly great ones.

I am really tempted to sell off about 15 bottles on ebay and get my collection in line. I go through this periodically, but I'm usually at 40-60 bottles before the urge hits, not my current 35.

Have you done this, and if so, did you regret it?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting rid of the "average"? Ever done it?

I do this once or twice a year but usually give them away to friends that don't have disposable income to buy fragrance. I never regret it because I would rather have a friend enjoy it rather than it collecting dust in the back of my collection.
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Do it. Your better bottles will appreciate it. Avoid eBay and give fellow BNers a swap or deal.

Haven't done it. I Just won't part with any of them. Who's to say your collection is not ALREADY IN LINE at 60 bottles ?????

I'm having those exact same feelings, Chuck. I'm over 150 bottles right now, and the hoarder side of me hates to part with any of them. But like you said: I oftentimes wear something that I'm not terribly fond of simply to boost its wearings in my BN wardrobe. I might take Charlie's suggestion and give 'em to the busboys at work or something.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I just did it and do not regret it. I liked all the frags I got rid of, just didn't wear them enough to consider keeping them. I don't need very many full bottles, I only want to wear my favorites anyway. Samples and decants are fine for 99.9% of frags.

I'm new to having more than a couple fragrances at a time,... and I am in the process of weeding out ones that I will just never use.

Burberry London, Versace Pour Homme, Midnight in Paris, Gucci Pour Homme II, and John Varvatos are all being sold this week. Its not that they are bad per say, just would rather wear other fragrances.

Its hard for me not to start hoarding, but I have to end this early on before it gets out of control. :X

I'm trying to slim down my collection as well, and have been giving bottles away to friends and family members. I can't say I have ever regretted parting with a bottle, since I know the recipients are getting more joy from it than I was.

I know what you mean. i get the urge periodically. I seem to purge and then before you know it I've bought new frags.

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Do it. Your better bottles will appreciate it. Avoid eBay and give fellow BNers a swap or deal.
    I agree. I'll post them here first. eBay has been a pain lately anyway.

I do this and I'm doing this!!!
    Gary

Yes, but not by trimming down my collection, rather expanding it with further less usual scents

Hey, you PM'd me but your inbox is full. Clear it out and i'll reply.

I mostly swap out failed impulse buys. Coincidentally all my (15 or so) blind buys have been great.

for swap/sale:

You guys should post what you're selling, or mention your ebay id so that we can look them up

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I have a strong desire to winnow my collection down to about 20 favorites. I find myself wearing less than stellar scents just to give them a chance or turn. Then I end up ignoring some truly great ones.

I am really tempted to sell off about 15 bottles on ebay and get my collection in line. I go through this periodically, but I'm usually at 40-60 bottles before the urge hits, not my current 35.

Have you done this, and if so, did you regret it?
    Chuck, if you look in the used to own section of my wardrobe you'll see there are about 30 frags I've sold off. The only one I regret is Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and occassionally AquaDiGio.

My goal is to sell off at least 10 more by the end of the year. There are about 5 right now that I know I want to get rid of and few more I could probably do without. I'd like to get my collection down to at most 40, but that's going to be tough.

It feels good to cull the collection, and it opens space up for new ones that I always promise myself I'll select more patiently. But then I do something dumb like buy a bottle of Cavalli Black when I'm walking around TJ Maxx with girlfriend. The next week, I'm trying to get rid of it.

But I can't imagine owning less than 30 right now. It seems so limiting to me at this point in the hobby.

My collection is permanently 'under construction', probably till someday I consider it 'in balance'.

I don't hang onto anything I can't get exited about wearing. SOme things i wear rarely, but still get a taste for them. If I notice I never get a craving for a particular scent, it's as good as sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Chuck, if you look in the used to own section of my wardrobe you'll see there are about 30 frags I've sold off. The only one I regret is Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and occassionally AquaDiGio.

My goal is to sell off at least 10 more by the end of the year. There are about 5 right now that I know I want to get rid of and few more I could probably do without. I'd like to get my collection down to at most 40, but that's going to be tough.

It feels good to cull the collection, and it opens space up for new ones that I always promise myself I'll select more patiently. But then I do something dumb like buy a bottle of Cavalli Black when I'm walking around TJ Maxx with girlfriend. The next week, I'm trying to get rid of it.

But I can't imagine owning less than 30 right now. It seems so limiting to me at this point in the hobby.
    I am a sucker for TJ Maxx and Marshall's, but lately I have done a pretty good job of resisting the urge when I'm in there. I'm broke in January (paid cash for Christmas), so I'm trying to stay away from temptations!

anything that i don't love (or have some kind of special relationship with) has to go.

but i don't tend to buy these in the first place.

I only let go things that do not agree with my chemistry so I rarely have to regret

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    I do this once or twice a year but usually give them away to friends that don't have disposable income to buy fragrance. I never regret it because I would rather have a friend enjoy it rather than it collecting dust in the back of my collection.
    So You are the true aficinado: You give'm to others in order to smell them more frequently Yourself?

I am near to selling away a few, as I am a noob in collecting lots of bottles and last year got a little out of hand... I get a bit nervous when I look at my wardrobe and see those wonderful decants and bottles, and realize that I will never have enough time to wear them all... I'd wear five at once if it was possible!

As a long term collector I don't think I could ever get my self to do this at least not now. With 1,267 full bottles currently on hand, even though there are some less esteemed than others, it would be like cutting away part of me.

Yup great thing to do. Why keep a load of bottles and perfumes which others would love and cherish when they are simply there to bulk out your collection. It's crazy really.
    I get put off my fragrances very easily and that's why my collection is always so concentrated to about 12 bottles. I sell a lot, or just give away to friends, it keeps things exciting, looking at things I know longer love in my collection brings down my whole collection and makes me lose interest in the ones I truly love, it's a bit OCD, but I don't want to own it if I don't love it, I don't even want to spray it once :P

Blog Entries

l did this just a couple of months ago, & have no regrets. Other folks are now enjoying them much more than l did, & it feels so good to just have fragrances that l love in my collection. And selling some off has raised the money for me to order a few decants of ones l've recently sampled & really loved. My aim is to keep the number of bottles l own below 50, & that helps to stop things getting out of control. So does curtailing my blind-buying habit; l haven't blind-bought anything for over a year now!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sort of doing this right now and it feels great.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    As a long term collector I don't think I could ever get my self to do this at least not now. With 1,267 full bottles currently on hand, even though there are some less esteemed than others, it would be like cutting away part of me.
    Hednic, how do you organize that many bottles? And what does that many look like? Just curious. Does it become a library room at that point?

As long as I enjoy something I don't see any need to get rid of it. Once something falls out of favour it can go.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I mostly swap out failed impulse buys.
    Same here...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'd like to but I really dislike selling on ebay (buying is another matter). Also, I try not to sell for pennies on the dollar any frag I think I might like at some point, because I'd hate to buy it again at retail prices. That's why I've been doing a lot of swapping instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I am a sucker for TJ Maxx and Marshall's, but lately I have done a pretty good job of resisting the urge when I'm in there. I'm broke in January (paid cash for Christmas), so I'm trying to stay away from temptations!
    The discount shops really can be too tempting sometimes. Part of my problem is that I have been very lucky with my impulse buys, liking a good percentage of them, that it has only encouraged me to do more blind buys. Still, there are at least a dozen bottles I would happily do away with, but which I know won't fetch enough of a price to even be worth listing here or on ebay. Those are the kinds of bottles that I have been trying to give away, and it feels great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'd like to but I really dislike selling on ebay (buying is another matter). Also, I try not to sell for pennies on the dollar any frag I think I might like at some point, because I'd hate to buy it again at retail prices. That's why I've been doing a lot of swapping instead.
    I hear ya there. Ive got 77 100% feedback on ebay and lately I have grown tired of people not paying/dealing with stupid fees.

Wish I had 500 posts on here so I could trade/sell in the forum. :'(

Doing this now. My collection is 100+ strong and I'm never going to use some average fragrances (in my opinion and for my tastes) or back up bottles. No doubt they will be replaced by others in the future but for now, I'm feeling good to have given my other frags a bit more space on their shelves by selling:
    The Dreamer
    Michael Kors for Men
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Ted Lapidus Altimar
    L'instant de Guerlain (back up)
    Jubilation XXV (back up)
    Diptyque Virgilio (awful scent that literally made me vomit!)

Basenotes Plus

I try to avoid buying anything I feel is 'average'. But sometimes succumb to what I feel is 'a good bargain' which often end up as giveaways. It's less of a problem these days though.

Last year, I sold off five highly regarded fragrances (both by myself and many basenoters) from my wardrobe, simply because I was constantly overlooking them in favour of the others. Even now, I still have no regrets as I spent several months musing it over. Since then, their replacements are providing me with far more joy than most of the ejected ones ever did.

Unless you're a fragrance collector, like hednic, a wardrobe will constantly evolve and change, and tough decisions will have to be made (well, that's if you really want to develop the perfect wardrobe). In addition, I've always viewed selling off what I don't like as 'monetary recycling'. At least the fragrance goes to a more deserving home and your bank balance is healthier as a result.

I have sold lots of bottles during the past two years. My tastes have changed a lot and what I used to enjoy earlier just did not fit the mark anymore. I have also made some blind buys in the past - most of them failures.

My current collection consists of about 60 bottles and there are maybe 3 which I am contemplating getting rid of. The rest are all 5-star fragrances to me, definite keepers.

One advice: if you are not absolutely sure that you don't enjoy a scent anymore then keep it and wait - you might end up liking them more after some time has passed. If you are sure, purge! I am still kicking myself for having swapped away my OJ Tiare and Safran Troublant. I am very happy with not owning the rest I once owned though - the money and the space can always be used for new, beloved bottles!

Good advice!

I generally just give them to friends.

I got rid of most of my cheap scents once I started getting into frags more and realizing what I like and what I don't, I give them to my friends for pretty much a steal of the cost I could sell them for.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCAlumni2009 View Post
    You guys should post what you're selling, or mention your ebay id so that we can look them up
    Item number: 360419622635

- Azzaro Pour Homme
    - Guerlain Vetiver
    - Halston 1-12
    - Vintage Quorum
    - Current Quorum
    - PS by Paul Sebastian
    - Tommy Bahama
    - Caesar's Man
    - Lomani
    - Aramis Havana
    - Mustang by Lauder

Plus 4 different Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave mini bottles and a few samples.
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 10th January 2012 at 05:21 PM.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

I usually just give them away if I find they were failed impulse buys, not too often, the rest I keep. I do not have many bottles though, I have what I truly love, backups of them when not readily available or great deals, and adding only so often, always searching for something new of course but not finding a great scent unknown to me all that often, which does not mean I am that experienced,perhaps just picky as most of us)) I think my collection will grow though. At the moment I truly love what I have, which is only about ten fragrances plus backups and complimentary products, I purged the rest.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    I hear ya there. Ive got 77 100% feedback on ebay and lately I have grown tired of people not paying/dealing with stupid fees.

Wish I had 500 posts on here so I could trade/sell in the forum. :'(

You could always subscribe to the forum.....I did today and now I can trade/sell.

No, i dont get rid of mines, but i always happily buy yours

maybe change your use. for example, i go gym after work and i use my average scents just to take me home (so to speak). Shop runs are particularly good for average scent usage.

I've done this but after I did I felt terrible. So I'm workin on getting my collection back lol

getting rid of some backups & others now, but NO - having some 'average' around is a good thing.
    i can't truly appreciate the great unless there is some 'average' around to bounce it off of.

My "average" sell off is still under way. I have several items up on eBay (herdalum89). I have sold several lately, but I'd say I'm still at around 35 total bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I generally just give them to friends.
    Same here.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    This!

My friends and the lady who does the cleaning smell wonderful and are enjoying stuff they wouldn't have bought for themselves.
    Once in a blue moon, I might have regrets. In which case, if the urge's too strong, I buy the fragrance again.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I don't hang onto anything I can't get exited about wearing. SOme things i wear rarely, but still get a taste for them. If I notice I never get a craving for a particular scent, it's as good as sold.
    This.

Also, I would encourage all of you to stop giving your stuff away to randoms and start swapping and selling on the boards here! Why not make sure your juice gets into the hands of someone who'll truly get tons of joy from it?

I'm going to have to start doing this as, I have have a few bottles that I have not used in a while. This will make way for new fragrance

I'm tempted but only because I will move soon and then I don't have to worry about my collection getting lost if I can bring them all with me in one go. I should really seperate the bottles I want to try and sell, I have a lot of backups as well that aren't needed.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Most of what I buy doesn't surpass $45 in cost per bottle, so generally I keep my stuff. Only have about twenty five frags anyway. Recently I had that much, maybe a few more, and there were four or five scents that I didn't want anymore so I gave them to a friend. If I ever found myself with a Guerlain or Creed or Chanel that I didn't want, I'd probably sell it thru Craigslit or ebay.

smeller

From 2008 to now, I downsized my wardrobe from more than 60 to 12. Along this process, there were some frags I regretted to sell and searched it back, but the vast majority of the sellings were no regrets, to my surprise. The less you have left, the thougher the decisions get, but it is an amazing detachment exercise. BTW, I think this word - detachment - is seldom mentioned on Basenotes, as we tend to expand our tastes ad infinitum and become collectors.

Of course, if I didn't have money concerns, I would keep them all, but this is unrealistic to me, so no offense to anybody, even if I trully believe a smaller wardrobe is healthier.

I've made 180 degree changes on my likes and dislikes. I could not say today that one of my 'average' fragrances will not be on the top of my list sometime in the future.

Also, some of my average fragrances are fine for work, after workout, hanging out at my house or other circumstances.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Yes I did it when I sold Bulgari Aqva, Black Code and right now I am doing it with decanting Bleu De Chanel, Platinum Egoiste, Pi and M7 Fresh.

Feels much better to wear only stuff that you love, not also stuff that you "have to" wear because you spent your money on it.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme