Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Cannabis in perfumery

Is cannabis tincure/EO used in perfumery? Does anyone know if it's available on the market/legal?

Thanks

Default Re: Cannabis in perfumery

There are some smelling notes in the Single Note thread.

In addition we had a discussion about it a while back in another thread, but for convenience I’ll repeat here what I said there:

There is an essential oil of cannabis sativa flowers that is widely available and is produced mainly for the perfumery market. Depending on the cannabis variety it can be either virtually free of THC or high in it - the latter would not be legal in the UK but the former meets the Home Office rules and can be sold freely.

I understand however that the essential oil does contain the aromatic substance (caryophyllene oxide) used to train dogs to sniff out illegal cannabis . . .

Hemp oil is different - that's made from the seeds and is used in cooking among other things - it has no appreciable aroma.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Parfumerie Generale - Coze has sativa as a note.
    Nasomatto - Black Afgano is supposed to smell of hashish
    LOST! in scent and music

I've never seen a cannabis extract used in perfumery although I have seen an analysis of cannabis oil. I think a mixture of Patchouli and Vetikol Acetate smells remarkably like grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I understand however that the essential oil does contain the aromatic substance (caryophyllene oxide) used to train dogs to sniff out illegal cannabis . . .
    Than it's maybe not a good thing to use it in perfumes if you don't want your clients to have problems while wearing it in airports or stations
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

Quote Originally Posted by otocione View Post
    Than it's maybe not a good thing to use it in perfumes if you don't want your clients to have problems while wearing it in airports or stations
    I’m ashamed to report that my first thought when I realised was more along the lines of ‘think of the fun you could have fooling the dogs and border agents’ but I guess that must have been my heavily suppressed anarchic nature leaking out . . .
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for

Along these lines (forgive the pun), what dogs actually smell to detect cocaine is Methyl_benzoate which is commonly used in perfumes.

Fascinating - and perhaps that explains why so few dog-induced searches result in convictions as that is a very common perfume ingredient indeed.

I’m amazed at the things I learn via Basenotes sometimes: I had no idea there was such a thing as a bed bug detection dog, or even that bed bugs had a distinctive smell. I live and learn!
    Chris Bartlett

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Along these lines (forgive the pun), what dogs actually smell to detect cocaine is Methyl_benzoate which is commonly used in perfumes.
    Oh, great
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

I do this thing called Oil of the day on my blog and wanted to use "Canabis Sativa" as my next Oil of the day but I need some more info. Is it a top, middle, or base note? what is the strength of the aroma? How would you best describe the scent?

Enfleurage offers an essential oil of hemp: http://www.enfleurage.com/products/hemp.html

I'm assuming this is fragrant and not the carrier oil. I think I smelled it once before.

hemp is from the seed, Canabis oil is from the flowers

I had a small sample of cannabis EO from Canada a few years ago. Very expensive, and I was disappointed to find a fresh grassy type fragrance - nothing like the smoke you smell from the odd passerby in Brixton. I would dearly love to make authentic smelling hashish incense!

That's the scent i want, if you ever walked upon or someone past by you who smoked a few minutes ago that aroma smells so good. I think even with pure HTC cannabis Oil you will not get the smell. I think the heat or burning of the oil is the only way to get that smell, like it is heat activated.

I wonder if you could bottle the smoke and let the smoke residue settle in the bottle then add a carrier oil to soak up the scent???

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Ayoob View Post
    I had a small sample of cannabis EO from Canada a few years ago. Very expensive, and I was disappointed to find a fresh grassy type fragrance - nothing like the smoke you smell from the odd passerby in Brixton. I would dearly love to make authentic smelling hashish incense!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgewater View Post
    I wonder if you could bottle the smoke and let the smoke residue settle in the bottle then add a carrier oil to soak up the scent???
    That would be an excellent idea - if it was legal!

I have done it, I have come up with a oil that smells like someone has just smoked and the scent is stuck in their clothes. I think it smells like it, my friend who doesnt smoke, cant stand the smell of the smoke. Said when ask to describe the scent of this oil I was working on first words was weed.

I curently only have 1 (2 dram ) bottle of this but I need a seasoned nose on this. Abu since you knew the scent as I wanted it to smell I would love fore you to try it. Only problem it smells so dead on I think shipping this will be a issue.

Last week i bought an essential oil made from fresh THC free plants. It doesent smell like cannabis smoke but like freshly crushed cannabis plant leaves or flower buds. Even from THC free plants, the scent smells very true like marijuana. Not quite cheap.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conni HD View Post
    Last week i bought an essential oil made from fresh THC free plants. It doesent smell like cannabis smoke but like freshly crushed cannabis plant leaves or flower buds. Even from THC free plants, the scent smells very true like marijuana. Not quite cheap.
    Conni, where didi you buy it from, if I may? I don't know how the one sold by Hermitage smells like, but the odour description you give here sounds great. I've always been keen on smelling a fragrance that incorporates the uplifting, fruity smell of fresh cannabis (if you've ever been in Panjab in late october you know what I mean - very similar to the smell of osmanthus flowers flowing in the air in September)

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgewater View Post
    I have done it, I have come up with a oil that smells like someone has just smoked and the scent is stuck in their clothes. I think it smells like it, my friend who doesnt smoke, cant stand the smell of the smoke. Said when ask to describe the scent of this oil I was working on first words was weed.

I curently only have 1 (2 dram ) bottle of this but I need a seasoned nose on this. Abu since you knew the scent as I wanted it to smell I would love fore you to try it. Only problem it smells so dead on I think shipping this will be a issue.
    Wow. That's fantastic! Please, please tell me that you still have the formula so that you can make more. I would be very nervous about such a great responsibility. I assume that you're in the US, as you mentioned drams? I wouldn't trust USPS with this precious cargo! Maybe there's someone on basenotes who's not too far from yourself who can help? Maybe you can start a new thread asking for assistance. For posting, you can use a sample vial which holds around 0.3ml and should be enough to check out the fragrance. You can get the vials cheaply from www.madinaonline.com. All the best with that, and let me know how it goes, because I might be interested in buying such an oil by the lb for my incense stick production, if I can work with the price. As for the problem with the shipping, it should be fine - just make sure that the bottle is washed on the outside and sealed properly, and then put in a plastic bag before packing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oveis View Post
    Conni, where didi you buy it from, if I may?
    Hi ! I bought it from Marienfelser Naturkosmetik here in germanyhttp://www.maienfelser-naturkosmetik...93a66642750c42 He has some quite rare essential oils and a few attars. I also bought a nice saffron attar. But be aware: he is not cheap !

yes and no, I need to tweak it because the carrier oil I used was contaminated with peppermint, I grabbed the wrong bottle, so in the back of the scent you pick up some mint. Also to me the scent doesn't have enough staying power I need to add a base oil to it, or should I just leave it as is??

If there is someone in the Austin, Texas area that would like to put there nose on this please let me know.

Basenotes Member

Hi ! I bought it from Marienfelser Naturkosmetik here in germanyhttp://www.maienfelser-naturkosmetik...93a66642750c42 He has some quite rare essential oils and a few attars. I also bought a nice saffron attar. But be aware: he is not cheap !
    Thanks so much. I checked but couldn't find the cannabis oil - it's probably my German? . I don't know, may you provide the direct link?

Ok, found!
    Last edited by Oveis; 29th November 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oveis View Post
    Thanks so much. I checked but couldn't find the cannabis oil - it's probably my German? . I don't know, may you provide the direct link?

Ok, found!
    Hi Oveis, it is in the link i´ve posted, the first item ( Hanföl, äth. ). Click at the first item and you see the botanical name cannabis sativa.

Saveonscents.com sells a few different marijuana based scents that can be used alone or in harmony with other scents to make your own creation!

I know that "Kinski" has a Marijuana note in it that is relatively easy to detect.

If anyone wants a 1 dram sample of my marijuana scented oil just pm me, I am open to trades. It does not smell like the plant, but smell like someone smoked it. In the bottle the scent is real pungent, but on the skin it calms down. to tame it even more you can mix it with a leather or wood note.

Good quality black hashish would probably work well in a fragrance. A lot nicer than the strong skunkweed aroma I sometimes get from passers by.

I've not smoked either for years, but the black is very aromatic and 'incensey'

-

Basenotes Member

Cannabis fragrances seem to be quite the current fashion, what with the states in the USA that recently decriminalized small amounts of marijuana for personal use.

Agarscents Bazaar has a blend that reportedly features cannabis. Here's the product on Sharif's website, but alas, there's no information about it here. http://www.agarscentsbazaar.com/FLEU...BIS-PARFUM.HTM

So here's a link to the same product on Agarscents' eBay store, which does contain product information. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FLEUR-CA...item485158d9ec

Hope these links format properly...something around here smells, uh, funny to me.

The very nicest incensy smelling one was the 'rocky' that was a very hard solid with a yellow/green hue and there was a 'red rocky' too. The black that smelled so nice was Afghani Black I seem to remember. There was a black oil of the same too that got delivered in very unsuitable rubber bags. I never bothered asking how they were smuggled in....

All in the name of art you understand.

Well this is pepe le pew, I think that's what I will call it. I would love to do a trade with someone so they can tell me what they think.

QUOTE=Skelly;2865468]Good quality black hashish would probably work well in a fragrance. A lot nicer than the strong skunkweed aroma I sometimes get from passers by.

I've not smoked either for years, but the black is very aromatic and 'incensey'

-[/QUOTE]

Where are you? Ok if you're UK but not if not.

Im in US.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Where are you? Ok if you're UK but not if not.

Our post is too risky right now for anything precious. Best with someone over there.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Our post is too risky right now for anything precious. Best with someone over there.

So What is with the Post?

I've got packages of EO's and other packages of fragrance samples to get to UK,... Is it impossible to use the mail?
    Must I use UPS or DHL?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Hey Paul, I recently received two orders of essential oil to the UK via USPS First-Class International Mail, without any issues. Both came with customs declaration forms on the outside, so it would probably be a good idea for you to do the same. You can pick up a form at any post office, or you can fill the form out below and print it.

https://cns.usps.com/go/ShippingInformationAction_input

- - - Updated - - -

With regards to the original topic, I once ordered some cannabis essential oil from Switzerland but it was sweet smelling and not exactly like the dried herb or hash. The dried herb and hash have a deeper, musky sort of smell to them. I think that it may be down to the fact that they are legally obliged to fractionally distill the essential oil, to leave behind the cannabinoids (drug components). A little reading tells me that the cannabinoids have a boiling range between about 160°C and 220°C. Any terpenes with a similar boiling point would also get left behind. This could be why cannabis essential oils seem to lack the familiar smell of the dried herb or hash. Another reason why the essential oil may not smell exactly like the dried herb or hash could be because they steam distill the plants while they're still fresh, to get the maximum return. Many of the lighter terpenes would have evaporated off during drying but they make their way into the essential oil when fresh plants are used. Table 2 in the link below shows the chemical composition of essential oil from different cannabis strains.

http://www.druglibrary.net/olsen/HEMP/IHA/jiha4208.html
    Last edited by Pears; 5th March 2013 at 11:45 PM.

This thread may help a few of you out as there is a breakdown of whats actually in cannabis and truck load of smellalikes (some not so).

- - - Updated - - -

This thread may help a few of you out as there is a breakdown of whats actually in cannabis and truck load of smellalikes (some not so).

Paul, it honestly seems to vary to a nightmarish degree here.

I just received a tracked USPS package from Malaysia via USPS/R.M.
    (USPS is delivered here by Royal Mail).
    It was properly declared on the Customs Form as 'Agarwood perfume' - I'm assuming that the initial Malaysian P.O. knew it was oil, passed it & our lot didn't argue with USPS' acceptance of the item. It was only 2x3ml, so not very bomb-like.
    But they are known for 'random sampling'.

We really don't know what to expect here - I would describe it as 'hit & miss' at present, but oils may be a grey area anyway.

Sorry if that doesn't help - Perfumer's Apprentice has a list of shipping codes that they use so maybe they know.

Good luck
    Last edited by lpp; 6th March 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Hey, danke für den guten Tipp!

I made my own tincture which had a lovely fresh cannabis aroma but after about a month it turned brown and lost its fragrance.

I'd imagine that that would be down to oxidation. How long was the herb left in the alcohol for? You could try adding an antioxidant like rosemary oleoresin extract (ROE). An airtight cap would also help, aswel as storing it in a cool, dark place.

Oh, that's a great tip. I didn't realize there were natural anti-oxidants I could use for stabilizing perfume. I'll look for rosemary oleoresin extract. Does it have an odor?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Peterson View Post
    Oh, that's a great tip. I didn't realize there were natural anti-oxidants I could use for stabilizing perfume. I'll look for rosemary oleoresin extract. Does it have an odor?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    The odor is faint, so it doesn't usually interfere with the fragrance of a blend, when used at the recommended concentration. However, check out the MSDS before buying, to make sure that it hasn't been blended with a carrier oil. If it has, then it probably won't dissolve in alcohol that's lower than 95% volume. If you have a choice, then choose one that was extracted with acetone rather than say hexane, as it will contain much less in the way of alcohol insoluble plant wax. Again, if you have a choice, then choose one that's high in carnosic acid, the primary antioxidant in Rosemary. If memory serves me correctly, the cannabinoids in cannabis are themselves antioxidants, although very few natural compounds are as effective as carnosic acid.
    Last edited by Pears; 7th January 2014 at 10:51 PM.

Vitamin E is also an excellent natural antioxidant as well. There a a number of them...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Indeed, Paul. The rosmarinic acid and carnosic acid found in Rosemary have stronger antioxidant activity than vitamin E but a combination of all three would work best.

James, the ROE below is a good example, i.e. acetone extracted, undiluted and with a high carnosic acid content.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/rosemar...resin-roe.html

I just stumbled across Maienfelser Naturkosmetik and checked here on Basenotes if there are any opinions about them. I am interested in the Frankincense-Hydrosol and the Frankincense Frereana Oil. Basically I want to know if they are reliable? Thanks.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

I tested a few german suppliers, for me Maienfelser is very reliable. Meanwhile, I buy all my essential oils from them. I don´t have the Frankincense you are interested in, i have the Frankincense neglecta and it´s exellent.

regards

I tested a few german suppliers, for me Maienfelser is very reliable. Meanwhile, I buy all my essential oils from them. I don´t have the Frankincense you are interested in, i have the Frankincense neglecta and it´s exellent.

regards
    Danke für die Antwort! Ja, das sieht schon alles sehr seriös aus, und dieses riesige Angebot - ich sehe schon wie mein Geldbeutel immer dünner wird!
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

Ja das kannst du laut sagen, habe den letzten Monat zwei Bestellungen dort gemacht weil er so viele Raritäten hat. Er ist wirklich nicht billig, aber die Öle halten dann auch wirklich jahrelang.

Gruß

I'm retesting the tincture, this time with the rosemary resinoid (ROE). It's only been a week or two and the last time it took about a month for it to turn brown. I'll let everyone know once I've determined that it stays green and keeps its aroma. Right now it has a distinct resiny smell that, I fear, would fool those dogs.

Hey James, if memory serves me correctly, the cannabinoids darken from decarboxylation and/or oxidation. Decarboxylation doesn't require the presence of additional oxygen, so antioxidants won't stop the process. However, the cannabinoids are practically odorless, so whether or not they decarboxylate and change colour isn' particularly important. The tincture can also turn brown through the degradation of chlorophyll, which isn't anything to worry about by itself.

It's the terpenes that you want to protect from oxidation, as they are primarily responsible for the odour. Although there are other hydrocarbons, alcohols, aldehydes and ketones that can contribute to the smell. The rate of oxidation is increased by heat and/or light, so storing your tincture in a cool, dark place is a good idea.

As with many other herbs, such as Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, etc, the oleoresins are primarily found in surface glands, so lengthy extractions aren't required. With Rosemary and Thyme for example, the extraction is more or less complete within a couple of hours. Any longer than that and you're mostly just extracting the unwanted cellular contents. Unless you wish to extract the cell contents for their cosmetic or antioxidant properties, that is. I hope that this helps.
    Last edited by Pears; 17th February 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Hi Pear, So it sounds like my tincture may very well turn color but won't loose its "fresh" smell.

I can't offer any guarantees, James but if you've added an antioxidant and you store it in a cold, dark place, with an airtight lid, it should be okay for several months.

I found Hops C02 Extract to smell a little bit like pot.

If cannabis oil from a quality strain (thinking west coast, US) was available, it would be great for perfuming indeed. I think cannabis might put clary sage to shame, as it's way richer and more complex.

Fresh cannabis and smoked cannabis are two very different things. Both would be of value, but IMHO we shouldn't lump them together.

I agree, the smoked herb is much deeper smelling and nicer than say Cade or Birch. It would be easy enough to make a tar from it, assuming that you're in a state where it's legal.
    Last edited by Pears; 17th February 2014 at 11:52 PM.

To me the dry down of Zdravetz (‪Geranium macrorrhizum‬) smells like dope (not the smoke).

Thank you Pears for your tip about the rosemary oleoresin. My tincture has remained green and fresh after a month in the fridge. The old one was brown and stale by now. The aroma smells, well, like grass--raw grass, not grass smoke.

How do you make tar out of it? Would be nice to try it with sage..

Nizan, you can use the same bushcraft technique that's used for making Birch tar oil and Pine tar oil. Ideally you want to limit the temperature to around 800 °C though, as the lower temperature produces much fewer soot particles in the oil. The easiest way to achieve that is to wait until the embers have cooled to a cherry red and then shovel them over and around the can. It would be easier to do that if the top can was fairly small; you probably wouldn't have enough Cannabis material to fill a large can anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfG2vPG_Y8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv0JMKbFsrQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_heat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In...ence_Color.jpg
    Last edited by Pears; 9th March 2014 at 11:09 PM.

I'm glad that it worked for you, James.

Thanks Pears
    I was going to try it with clary sage, not cannabis. It's illegal here. Though it seems a bit like too much logistics. How do I know this stuff is safe to use anyway?