Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Cannabis in perfumery

It would probably be about as safe as using crude Cade oil or Birch tar oil. How safe that is, I don't know but both have been used medicinally for thousands of years.

I live in Colorado, so this is actually an interesting proposal. It could happen, and I think it probably will soon.

You would need an extraction that was refluxed multiple times, polarized for purity, isomerized for further purity, then explored.

Last edited by TheDopeyOne; 18th March 2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgewater View Post
    hemp is from the seed, Canabis oil is from the flowers
    "Hemp" is actually a species, Rudaralis, which is a non-psychoactive species.

Cannabis Sativa is what is listed as illegal under United States law, so some people actually use the fact that they were growing Indica as a defense.

Also, if you breed Rudaralis with Indica or Sativa, or an Indica/Sativa Hybrid, it makes a Hybrid known as "Auto Flower", and it has less THC than a regular plant (but not by too much) and doesn't require a flower season to flower, it will flower during the vegging season.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Along these lines (forgive the pun), what dogs actually smell to detect cocaine is Methyl_benzoate which is commonly used in perfumes.
    Strange.
    Last edited by TheDopeyOne; 18th March 2014 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I understand however that the essential oil does contain the aromatic substance (caryophyllene oxide) used to train dogs to sniff out illegal cannabis . . ..
    I did not know that, I will keep that in mind when making perfumes (when I eventually get to).

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    I'd imagine that that would be down to oxidation. How long was the herb left in the alcohol for? You could try adding an antioxidant like rosemary oleoresin extract (ROE). An airtight cap would also help, aswel as storing it in a cool, dark place.
    Also going to keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I found Hops C02 Extract to smell a little bit like pot.
    They are made up of similar things, like Myrcene.
    Last edited by TheDopeyOne; 18th March 2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDopeyOne View Post
    I live in Colorado, so this is actually an interesting proposal. It could happen, and I think it probably will soon.

You would need an extraction that was refluxed multiple times, polarized for purity, isomerized for further purity, then explored.
    If you mean for purifying a tar, then fractional distillation would be sufficient. Cannabis tar could be sold internationally, like Cannabis essential oil, providing that the cannabinoids were first removed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDopeyOne View Post
    "Hemp" is actually a species, Rudaralis, which is a non-psychoactive species.

Also, if you breed Rudaralis with Indica or Sativa, or an Indica/Sativa Hybrid, it makes a Hybrid known as "Auto Flower", and it has less THC than a regular plant (but not by too much) and doesn't require a flower season to flower, it will flower during the vegging season.
    The term that's used in plant sciences is day-neutral. Plant species can be divided into long-day, short-day and day-neutral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoperiodism

If you were to cross a short-day variety with a day-neutral variety, then some of the offspring would be day-neutral. If it's a dominant trait then it will show up in the first generation (F1). If it's a recessive trait then it won't show up until the second generation (F2). This isn't the best forum for discussing plant hybridization though.
    Last edited by Pears; 18th March 2014 at 08:26 PM.

If you mean for purifying a tar, then fractional distillation would be sufficient. Cannabis tar could be sold internationally, like Cannabis essential oil, providing that the cannabinoids were first removed.
    I'm actually talking about using the Cannabinoids as an ingredient, and if we were going to do that we would probably want an isolated Cannabinoid and not just a full spectrum oil.

The term that's used in plant sciences is day-neutral. Plant species can be divided into long-day, short-day and day-neutral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoperiodism

If you were to cross a short-day variety with a day-neutral variety, then some of the offspring would be day-neutral. If it's a dominant trait then it would show up in the first generation (F1). If it's a recessive trait then it wouldn't show up until the second generation (F2). This isn't the best forum for discussing plant hybridization though.
    I did not know that, I actually had no idea it happened outside of Cannabis, good to know.

The cannabinoids are practically odourless, Dopey. As with certain other resin acids, you may be able to produce an odour by saponifying or heating them up but they wouldn't be of much use as odourants in a perfume.

The cannabinoids are practically odourless, Dopey. As with certain other resin acids, you may be able to produce an odour by saponifying or heating them up but they wouldn't be of much use as odourants in a perfume.
    Say you could get the open Hydroxide (OH) on the THC to bond to something like Damascone or Myrcene.
    Or Decarboxylize it, and see what is available at that point?
    620px-Tetrahydrocannabinol.svg.jpg

The first perfume that gets the user high, only available (allowed) in Colorado, lol.

I was just reading online that when someone made their hash with Acetone/Denatonium Benzoate and it made the hash bitter, they commented that Denatonium Benzoate is used to Denature alcohol, and maybe "Denatured" the THC.

I have a theory that Benzoic Acid would have similar effects, but not so extreme as far as bad smell, etc. Creating a "THC Benzoate" Molecule. My theory is that this would be a much more Aromatic Molecule than plain THC, and could be used for Fragrance in states where Cannabinoids are legal.

Denatonium benzoate is a denaturant in the sense that it's an adulterant which makes solvents unpalatable. It's not a denaturant in the sense of it causing any structural changes to proteins or nucleic acids. However, you're thinking of substances that could induce chemical reactions with THC, which is different to denaturation. What you're thinking of are reactants or reagents, not denaturants. You could react THC with all kinds of substances and produce odoriferous compounds in atleast some cases. However, the motive for doing so seems unclear.
    Last edited by Pears; 19th March 2014 at 01:55 PM.

Denatonium benzoate is a denaturant in the sense that it's an adulterant which makes solvents unpalatable. It's not a denaturant in the sense of it causing any structural changes to proteins or nucleic acids. However, you're thinking of substances that could induce chemical reactions with THC, which is different to denaturation. What you're thinking of are reactants or reagents, not denaturants. You could react THC with all kinds of substances and produce odoriferous compounds in atleast some cases. However, the motive for doing so seems unclear.
    Yeah, I posted this on a chemistry forum and they basically said the same thing about the Denatonium, but looking at THC and Benzoic acid it still seems like we can make something, someone even told me that THC Benzoate exists, but that is no the right name so I don't know how to search it.

Denatonium (they say) is designed SPECIFICALLY to irritate your bitter receptacles in your mouth. So benzoic acid would be different.

Benzoic acid is low in odour and it doesn't always react to produce odoriferous compounds. If you react it with odoriferous compounds like benzyl alcohol or cinnamyl alcohol, then the resulting compounds are atleast somewhat odoriferous. THC is another matter altogether, as it has next to no odour. If you were to vaporize it like incense then perhaps it would produce a notable smell but otherwise not.

Benzoic acid is low in odour and it doesn't always react to produce odoriferous compounds. If you react it with odoriferous compounds like benzyl alcohol or cinnamyl alcohol, then the resulting compounds are atleast somewhat odoriferous. THC is another matter altogether, as it has next to no odour. If you were to vaporize it like incense then perhaps it would produce a notable smell but otherwise not.
    Yeah, THC is a heavy Molecule.
    620px-Tetrahydrocannabinol.svg.jpg
    But I was thinking that Benzoic acid and the right catalyst could maybe cleave THC apart at one of those open Hydrogens and make it only have 2 complete rings, plus the benzoic acid.

This may render the THC ineffective, but I just want to think up different things. I will be drawing molecules soon. I am getting some organic chemistry books so I can map out synthesis and make sure everything I draw will be a stable molecule.

Hopefully we won't be hearing about a hobbyist perfumer who died mysteriously with a green-blue spots on his skin.. In other words - be careful...

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Hopefully we won't be hearing about a hobbyist perfumer who died mysteriously with a green-blue spots on his skin.. In other words - be careful...
    I don't plan on touching anything. I just plan on wafting, and maybe sending samples to a lab that can analyze the exact contents. And this is like a WAYS off. Months, if not a year or more.

No money.

You seem to be focused on using THC simply because of it's notoriety as a psychotropic agent. I could understand if your aim was to modulate it's psychotropic effects but to convert it into something odoriferous seems fairly pointless, as it probably wouldn't smell anything like Cannabis.
    Last edited by Pears; 19th March 2014 at 09:02 PM.

You seem to be focused on using THC simply because of it's notoriety as a psychotropic agent. I could understand if your aim was to modulate it's psychotropic effects but to convert it into something odoriferous seems fairly pointless, as it probably wouldn't smell anything like Cannabis.
    I am just interested in it because this thread is about Cannabis in perfume, and I live in a state that has legalized Marijuana RECREATIONALLY which opens the door to an entirely new idea not only in medicine and direct "pot sales", but for things like perfume. And since THC is the main active ingredient in Marijuana, I figured that that would be interesting to discuss the possibilities of.

If anyone can think of applications for another part of Cannabis oil, I would be interested in discussing that as well.
    Last edited by TheDopeyOne; 19th March 2014 at 09:15 PM.

the THC itself isn't responsible for the odor of cannabis. I think I read that the odor is due mainly to the sesquiterpinoids.

Quote Originally Posted by edshepp View Post
    the THC itself isn't responsible for the odor of cannabis. I think I read that the odor is due mainly to the sesquiterpinoids.
    I understand that, I am talking about making (possibly) THC aromatic.

Do you know which Terpinoids are responsible? I have heard that Marijuana actually contains Myrcene.

I am really sorry, but: can you imagine such simple daily picture. Somebody abundantly spray from head to feet with yours TurboTHCaromatic perfumes and go to school take child after lessons, or go by bus and sit down near pregnant women, and all bus fills with this scent? I understand that it is okay use it in your state, but spread it around? Maybe you can think about hard perfumes, or nasal sprays, wet wipes, or something else... Fragrant creams can contain that you want and even don't necessary create new molecule. Because then you create it, it can be accepted as new drug; or it can lose desired effect. Simply think...
    sorry for my englisch; Idea is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramute View Post
    I am really sorry, but: can you imagine such simple daily picture. Somebody abundantly spray from head to feet with yours TurboTHCaromatic perfumes and go to school take child after lessons, or go by bus and sit down near pregnant women, and all bus fills with this scent? I understand that it is okay use it in your state, but spread it around? Maybe you can think about hard perfumes, or nasal sprays, wet wipes, or something else... Fragrant creams can contain that you want and even don't necessary create new molecule. Because then you create it, it can be accepted as new drug; or it can lose desired effect. Simply think...
    sorry for my englisch; Idea is brilliant.
    I do not expect the THC content to actually get anyone high, like the alcohol content of soda, it would be more of a novelty thing, and could possibly lead to new ideas from others.

I know 'vaporization' of marijuana is used to extract the active ingredients without actually combusting any plant material. I'm curious to know how tincturing the leftover material would go (in terms of both THC content and aroma).

Speaking from experience (lol), the difference in odor between two strains can be HUGE, even to the unexperienced nose. OG Kush to Blue Haze is like BBQ to Blueberries.

I read here some complaints about oils smelling too green, curing is pretty damn important: those grassy and vegetal notes should diminish significantly (if not disappear) with proper curing (among other changes e.g. bright, fruity notes will often mellow out, leaving smoother jamminess behind). I think I'd ask the supplier about processing methods and strain before I ordered!

I'm not sure exactly which aromatic chemicals are removed alongside THC with the fractional distill, but if it's mostly terpenes I'd bet one could more often obtain a truer and more 'whole' EO using a Sativa-dominant strain (as opposed to an Indica-dominant one).
    Last edited by moogsauce; 6th April 2014 at 11:56 PM.

Somebody PLEEEASE try Fleur du Cannabis (Flower of Cannabis) over at Agarscentsbazaar.com His other offerings are amazing and I'm flat out of money at the moment otherwise I'd try it.

Basenotes Plus

Someone might find this useful

MaryJane.jpg
    Last edited by JEBeasley; 19th April 2014 at 01:06 AM.
    Justin E. Beasley

Ed Rosenthal's book about Marijuana cultivation has an interesting chapter on the terpenes such as limonene, pinene, etc. that makeup the characteristics of different marijuana strains. The chapter contains information about many of the terpenes listed in Beasley's post above

The chapter has gas chromatography of a couple strains that would be useful in recreating the smell of fresh cannabis

If this is a material you're interested in, I'd suggest looking to John Steele's Big Buddha hemp. It's in extremely limited quantities, but it's very strong. A clean, grassy, hydrodistilled slightly lemon type note that's unmistakably MJ. It's quite expensive though ($50 per 1.5ml). And although I don't partake in any usage outside of perfumery, I find it to be an evocative scent and so it was a worthy purchase for me.

I have been looking for Cannabis Flower Essential Oil here in the US for a while to use in a perfume blend. I have seen the Hemp Essential Oils but I want the Cannabis Flower Oil, If anyone knows of a supplier that carries this and doesn't mind sharing, I would be so grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by JEBeasley View Post
    Someone might find this useful

MaryJane.jpg
    Thanks! Could be perfect for enhancing inferior oils, and 'revitalizing' oils whose characteristic aromas have been damaged or lost. Somebody mentioned Hops... very close botanical cousin of MJ I believe... hops in combo with some of these terpenes could be an affordable starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by jt86 View Post
    Ed Rosenthal's book about Marijuana cultivation has an interesting chapter on the terpenes such as limonene, pinene, etc. that makeup the characteristics of different marijuana strains. The chapter contains information about many of the terpenes listed in Beasley's post above
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    If this is a material you're interested in, I'd suggest looking to John Steele's Big Buddha hemp. It's in extremely limited quantities, but it's very strong. A clean, grassy, hydrodistilled slightly lemon type note that's unmistakably MJ. It's quite expensive though ($50 per 1.5ml). And although I don't partake in any usage outside of perfumery, I find it to be an evocative scent and so it was a worthy purchase for me.
    Sounds lovely, def on my 'money to spend' shopping list!

GC of the smoke :
    https://sites.google.com/site/masona...dical-cannabis

Also Copaiba might be useful, as I found a GC which says it contains a lot of caryophyllene.. Though it probably varies greatly.
    Maybe Pyralone could be useful as well..

Update - after some reading, I realize that some of the sweet smell that comes off when burning is a result of pyrolysis, so maybe one should look into chemicals which are typically produced this way. I've seen furfural, furanones, phenol and guaicol mentioned in this context, but maybe someone more knowledgeable will be willing to elaborate on this point.
    Last edited by Nizan; 4th May 2014 at 06:01 PM.

Just in the name of true perfumery science. I recently acquired a 0.3g sample of the greenish coloured Lebanese resin (genuinely given to me purely for perfumery use because I haven't smoked the stuff since I was a hippy). I put it in a 10% tincture the day before yesterday and it immediately released its oil as I watched and is already smelling quite wonderful. It just needs to be left long enough to lose that alcoholic blast of the perfumers alcohol. I cannot imagine that a resin would have any oxidisation problems.

I would imagine it really wouldn't be a good thing to wear if you were travelling through any customs but the smell is very true. If it was to then made to smell smoky then some cade or birch tar would add the 'just smoked' feel.

It would be interesting to know which part has the THC in it. The aromatic part in the tincture, or the left over material at the bottom. It would be a fine thing for me if it were the latter, then any perfume would not be illegal presumably.
    Last edited by mumsy; 2nd June 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Just in the name of true perfumery science. I recently acquired a 0.3g sample of the greenish coloured Lebanese resin (genuinely given to me purely for perfumery use because I haven't smoked the stuff since I was a hippy). I put it in a 10% tincture the day before yesterday and it immediately released its oil as I watched and is already smelling quite wonderful. It just needs to be left long enough to lose that alcoholic blast of the perfumers alcohol. I cannot imagine that a resin would have any oxidisation problems.
    But keep in mind that depending on the quality and production method the hash will also contain more or less plant matter (fine particles of the leaves and stems), not only the resin.

Another thing to consider is that most of the times fertilisers and additional boosters are used for growing. If the plants get harvested without giving them the appropriate time to consume any leftovers in their system, those will be found in the end product as well.

The cannaboinoids are soluable in alcohol so it's the fluid tincture that contains them.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 2nd June 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Has anyone tried the cannabis oil from Hermitage and if so what were your thoughts?
    For some super rare goodies check me out on ebay: scents-rarity
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512613529...84.m1555.l2649