Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Turtle Vetiver Front by Les Nez

If you all remember, when Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 by Les Nez came out and I posted about it - a true, raw, very salty vetiver scent.

I just read on Grain de Musc that Isabelle Doyen has the next one in the series coming out soon, titled Turtle Vetiver Front, to be closely followed by Turtle Vetiver Back.

I don't see it listed on the website yet, but I will post more info when I see it.

Hardcore vetiver fans, take note!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Turtle Vetiver Front by Les Nez

Thanks Mike! I really like the first one, looking forward to trying it. The first is so good, I may just buy it blindly!

Interesting news.

Outstanding news! TV ex. 1 is one of my favorite vetivers. I'm looking forward to the new additions.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Wow I'm so excited. Thanks to a dear friend , he gifted me a full bottle of it!
    Looking forward to front and back!!!

for swap/sale:

It's listed on the site under vetiver now. Both full bottles and samples are avaiable in the shop. I've got samples on the way.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the tip Ungerwoo, I got mine too.

For those of you turned around, like I was, the Turtle Vetiver Front is available in the 'Shop' by clicking on the 'Samples' link, here.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Got my samples today, I haven't opened up the package yet but I will post my thoughts after I've tested it. Excited.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th February 2012 at 04:21 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Mike.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Turtle Vetiver has been my reference vetiver since I first sampled it. I've been patiently waiting for the sequel. Just ordered my samples of Turtle Vetiver Front.

Sound Scents

Just got the samples of Front this evening. I have been wearing it for a couple hours now and all I can say is "wow." My initial impression is I am getting a lot of cedar mixed in with a very sharp smokey vetiver accord. I might be buying this one if it proves to have good longevity... So far, so good.

Edit: I have now worn it a couple times and yes, it does last. It is an incredible scent that is highly recommended to vetiver lovers. Front kind of reminds me of Encre Noir, but IMO it is better. I am hoping that Lucky Scent carries the full bottles, because I went to LesNez to see what the cost of shipping a 50ml bottle to The States, and the over $160 price tag was scary... PLEASE Lucky Scent...? ;-)
    Last edited by drseid; 14th February 2012 at 09:03 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1 is dark, earthy, edgy with a robust raw feeling. This outlaw perfume has been transformed into a "white collar thief" It's gone from a Clint Eastwood" Dirty Harry" feel to a Clint Eastwood at The Oscars feel.

Front Vetiver smells like Excercise 1's dry down minus all the good stuff, only sweeter, less dark, less earthy, less edgy, and less raw and robust. It's like you want to re-apply because it's lost all its gusto. Depending on your point of view, you'll enjoy it either more or less. For me I enjoy Exercise 1 more, but for those who thought Exercise 1 was just too raw and unrefined, Front will be better for you.

Bottom line, Front Vetiver is a really nice vetiver and I highly recommend getting a sample, even if I won't be buying a bottle. Way too refined for me.

I wish the evolution wasn't such a huge gap. I was expecting it to be subtle change, not a dramatic one.
    Last edited by thebeck; 14th March 2012 at 02:33 PM.

craving!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    ....I am getting a lot of cedar mixed in with a very sharp smokey vetiver accord....
    You may as well be describing Sigilli's Athunis. I wish a comparison could be done and reviewed.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I've tried this twice. It's a dark, earthy, strong vetiver in the mould of MPG Route du Vetiver and Villoresi Vetiver. Imagine a high-vetiver version of Goutal's - briny and with an iodine note, rendering it somewhat 'marine'. It evoked vivid memories of cleaning my tropical fish tank. In fact, after a while I felt like The Creature From The Swamp, and I was relieved to wash it off.

This might appeal to you if you like the Goutal, the MPG RdV or the Villoresi. Sillage and longevity are very good. I can't compare with Turtle Vetiver (original) as I haven't sampled it. It leaves me with a greater appreciation of those who managed to tame vetiver by better blending. Kudos to JP Guerlain et al.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    You may as well be describing Sigilli's Athunis. I wish a comparison could be done and reviewed.
    Had to look that one up as I confess I have never heard of it (let alone tried it). Sounds quite good. I'll have to look into trying it in the near future. As for TV Front, it is a must buy for me now.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Institution

I've been enjoying my samples for a couple weeks now, and I must admit that the scent is definitely vetiver prominent but also an extremely unique take on vetiver that is refreshing for fans like me.

Unlike some comments above, when I first sprayed Turtle Vetiver Front on, I did not think it resembled the Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 at all. The first one, is very stark, raw, iodine-rich, and smelled the most like an essential oil or aroma-therapeutic version of the accord than an actual scent. Like other raw vetivers (Etro, Annick Goutal, Profumum) it was a bit jolting to wear, in its rawness. Not that this is a bad thing - we sort of demand this kind of boldness in a niche scent like this and Isabelle Doyen does not disappoint. Plus, let's face it, this release was always touting itself as a Limited Edition, art-project type release. It was not designed for the masses to appreciate it but rather for a select few to enjoy and own it. I personally was lucky enough to have a BN buddy send me a large decant of Exercise No. 1, so I didn't have to invest in a full bottle yet got to enjoy it whenever the mood struck me. I have a tiny bit left, that I plan on keeping around as long as I can.

Enter, Front.

The first time I smelled it I couldn't figure out what the sweet, roundness was...it sort of resembled apricot skin or nectarine, but not crisp more...unctuous. After the third or fourth time, I realized what it was: coconut. I know that this note can be polarizing for certain people and I also am very aware that I am extremely hyperanosmic to the coconut accord. There are a few new fragrances on the market that feature coconut (Hermessence Santal Massoia, Santal 33, Santal Blush), so my guess is that someone created a new coconut aromachemical new to the fragrance industry - it is not very sweet and it has an oily/buttery aspect, but not tropical and it avoids the sharp, suntan-lotion-Pina-Colada-drink-mix associations by being slightly transparent (like the green-fig leaf-whiff I get in Windsor) and, in Front, it's very subtle. The vetiver/coconut accord sounds gross, but it totally works (sort of like Fat Electrician by ELDO does with vetiver/vanilla). The raw, green, woody vetiver and the smooth, slightly milky coconut flesh swirl back and forth all throughout the top notes in a comforting way. And then, when you least expect it, there's a sort of CdG-ish, industrial copier toner cartridge, ink smell - a more exotic, raw alternative to the ink smell of Encre Noire. I personally love the smell of freshly copied paper - that combination of hot paper, ink, a sort of charcoal, burnt smell. Well, this is what you can smell from Front, mostly when you smell the scent up close on skin. The 'cedar' comments above don't surprise me - yes Front is very woody and there is a hint of something like oakmoss buried way deep down in the base notes. It's not oakmoss, but most likely some other aromachemical that adds a phenolic, slightly tar-like texture and enhances the toner accord even more so.

Whereas both stages of Front sound completely opposite from each other, they really do work together nicely. It's presence, perhaps due to it's raw-sour / smooth-sweet combination, can be smelled for hours on skin. I wasn't shy today when I wore it, I doused myself in 8-9 sprays from the small sample atomizer and it was neither harsh nor cloying (Guerlain Vetiver, one of my all-time favorites gives me a headache if I spray more than 2-3 times).

Would I buy a full bottle? I'm not sure. I am such a fan of vetiver scents that perhaps I don't need another one, unless it completely captivates me and I fall head over heels for it - especially if it's going to cost +$150, like Front does. I don't find myself obsessing over it, after having smelled it (like I did, the first times I smelled Sycomore). But, then again, a bottle split might be just the perfect amount for me to have. I'm going to wait before I spring for a bottle - which I see is finally on sale at the Les Nez site. And check out the new bottle (a step up from the boring and drab bottle they used for Exercise No. 1, no?)

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike you've just said more than 20 magic words: Ink, Industrial, phenolic, tar, industrial copier toner cartridge (4), CDG, freshly copied paper (3), raw-sour / smooth-sweet...too many to mention..

I'm sold. Not to talk about the new bottle which looks terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Mike you've just said more than 20 magic words: Ink, Industrial, phenolic, tar, industrial copier toner cartridge (4), CDG, freshly copied paper (3), raw-sour / smooth-sweet...too many to mention..

I had the Villoresi as a sample and found it horrible. If the LesNez is similar - particularly regarding the 'cedar' it could resemble Creed Aventus and I wouldn't care for it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    I had the Villoresi as a sample and found it horrible. If the LesNez is similar - particularly regarding the 'cedar' it could resemble Creed Aventus and I wouldn't care for it.
    The Villoresi is raw. However Turtle Vetiver Front is absolutely nothing like Aventus.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I knew you would be excited about it alfarom, it's very edgy...like most of the scents in your wardrobe.

Supposedly the third vetiver release from Les Nez, coming out after this one, is even more edgy. People comparing the two have called Front more wearable.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I knew you would be excited about it alfarom, it's very edgy...like most of the scents in your wardrobe.

Supposedly the third vetiver release from Les Nez, coming out after this one, is even more edgy. People comparing the two have called Front more wearable.
    "Front" to my nose is actually edgeless, but enjoyable and wearable. I hope "Back" brings back some edge cause I'm nearly out of Exercise1.

Basenotes Institution

Edgeless (giggle)...I like that word.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    "Front" to my nose is actually edgeless, but enjoyable and wearable. I hope "Back" brings back some edge cause I'm nearly out of Exercise1.

There's one thing for sure: you guys know how to tease me! LOL

Basenotes Institution

I have no idea what you're talking about alfarom...

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've been enjoying samples of this one as well. I had not experienced Exercise 1, but do enjoy vetiver and as a new twist on the root Front Turtle does not disappoint.

In addition to the components mikeperez23 mentions, the description on Grain de musc also claims that a drop of natural ambergris tincture is added. I remember reading a description Luca Turin posted on Profumo's website regarding his experiments with natural ambergris tincture. He sprayed a lavender soliflore, I think, on the back of both hands and then to one hand added a single spray of ambergris. He reported that the lavender of the ambergrised hand took on a kind of 3D quality. Could be my imagination, but there seems to be similar effect here especially at the opening. The vegetal aspects of the vetiver are in much sharper focus than in any other vetiver I've tried. In combination with the coconut it's like some sort of a green space melon. Like if Mugler became a hippie farmer or something.

As it develops I definitely get the note that is referenced above as ink or toner cartridge. But I think I'd call it oil paint, or linseed, or artist's studio. In combination with the brininess and the smooth moss it could be a studio in the countryside near the sea, Joan Miro in Mallorca perhaps. All very nice and appropriate considering that the whole Turtle exercise work is a contribution to an art collective of sorts.

Maybe what's most interesting though, is what all of the above takes out of the vetiver -- I get none of the petroleum or smoke I often get from vetivers. This really pulls back the curtain on the other facets. All in all a fun experiment; definitely recommend it for the experience if nothing else.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Port_Moresby View Post
    ...In addition to the components mikeperez23 mentions, the description on Grain de musc also claims that a drop of natural ambergris tincture is added. I remember reading a description Luca Turin posted on Profumo's website regarding his experiments with natural ambergris tincture. He sprayed a lavender soliflore, I think, on the back of both hands and then to one hand added a single spray of ambergris. He reported that the lavender of the ambergrised hand took on a kind of 3D quality. Could be my imagination, but there seems to be similar effect here especially at the opening. The vegetal aspects of the vetiver are in much sharper focus than in any other vetiver I've tried. In combination with the coconut it's like some sort of a green space melon. Like if Mugler became a hippie farmer or something.

As it develops I definitely get the note that is referenced above as ink or toner cartridge. But I think I'd call it oil paint, or linseed, or artist's studio. In combination with the brininess and the smooth moss it could be a studio in the countryside near the sea, Joan Miro in Mallorca perhaps. All very nice and appropriate considering that the whole Turtle exercise work is a contribution to an art collective of sorts...
    Interesting - I never thought of ambergris because such a small amount isn't something I would smell...it would, like you mentioned, be felt in the texture more. I always thought ambregris had a very oakmossy smell (like in Eau des Merveilles by Hermes)...so perhaps that's what I was talking about when I mentioned oakmoss.

I love the 'countryside by the sea, Joan Miro in Mallorca' image you conjured - beautiful.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Luckyscent has it now: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ver_Front.html

They list the official notes as: Vetiver, coconut lactone, moss, ambergris

-- Eckhart Tolle

Worth a try but it's a shame the packaging looks like a Serge Lutens rip-off...

Its a shame its dab only and not spray.

for swap/sale:

Good info, Mike.

I actually find the bottle quite pleasing, at least from the photos -- much more "fresh from the alchemist's" in contrast to Lutens' "fresh from the palace."

And as per usual, luckyscent does a much better job depicting it than anyone else, including Lez Nez.

How does it project? I know projection perception varies from nose to spray but...?

for swap/sale:

I ordered a sample of front today per my sister's rec, can't wait to try.

Basenotes Institution

I got a sample and I must try it............
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    How does it project? I know projection perception varies from nose to spray but...?
    I'm trying it today. I like it very much. I would say that it doesn't project much. Low to moderate sillage, in spite of its strength.

Basenotes Institution

Haunani - I got my sample out too !
    Straight out of the sample vial .... on my skin I got a creaminess - almost 'shiny'. Now it's as Mike said- raw ,rooty green vetiver - abit salty ,savory.
    I do love the bottle - so much more interesting and artisan looking than the plain ones.

Basenotes Institution

I think it has less than average projection sometimes and other times about average projection. It is not a 'powerhouse' that's for sure, but then again I'm not always in the mood for a powerful vetiver.

It is definitely not as powerful as Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sound Scents

I think it has less than average projection sometimes and other times about average projection. It is not a 'powerhouse' that's for sure[/B].
    It has average projection, IMO. Great scent though.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Does anyone know for sure if it's a limited edition or not?

Sound Scents

Yes. It is limited to 90 bottles on the LesNez web site. My bottle has 5 of 90 on the bottom for example.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I'm tempted to go for this beautiful vetiver in its beautiful bottle! It reminds me most of my current favorite vetiver, the Annick Goutal, and I could see it giving the Goutal some competition for my affection. :-)

I'm also wondering if Isabelle Doyen made the Goutal. She created many fragrances in that line, right? I just can't find confirmation anywhere on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Haunani - I got my sample out too !
    Straight out of the sample vial .... on my skin I got a creaminess - almost 'shiny'. Now it's as Mike said- raw ,rooty green vetiver - abit salty ,savory.
    I do love the bottle - so much more interesting and artisan looking than the plain ones.
    I agree with all the adjectives that you and Mike list, except that I don't get a lot of creaminess. Maybe a little. I have a hard time detecting the coconut – how about you?

Basenotes Institution

Haunani - no coconut for me either. Just this initial creaminess and then straight to the vetiver.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    ...I'm also wondering if Isabelle Doyen made the Goutal. She created many fragrances in that line, right? I just can't find confirmation anywhere on the web.
    That's a great question: I would think Ms. Goutal did the Vetiver herself, since she was still alive when it was released, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone should email AG?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Yes. It is limited to 90 bottles on the LesNez web site. My bottle has 5 of 90 on the bottom for example.
    alfarom yeah maybe you shoulnd't wait...

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Haunani -
    l .... on my skin I got a creaminess - almost 'shiny'. Now it's as Mike said- raw ,rooty green vetiver - abit salty ,savory.
    Mimi, can women pull this off? I still have a few days till my sample comes.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Mimi, can women pull this off? I still have a few days till my sample comes.
    firehorse, I think if you enjoy vetiver as an oil, you'll enjoy Turtle Vetiver Front. I can't detect any coconut either but, at the same time, there's a simplicity about it that could either be a good or bad thing (depending on your experience with vetiver essential oils). I'm still on the fence about it but still find it enjoyable to wear. And it doesn't possess the smoky masculinity that some vetivers are renowned for.

Thanks trebor, I'm not a fan of coconut but it sounds like its not bothering anyone. And this ond sounds like its the most unisex of the three. My sister who just started getting into fragrances liked this a lot. We both tend to like masculine earthy green that's not too sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    firehorse, I think if you enjoy vetiver as an oil, you'll enjoy Turtle Vetiver Front. I can't detect any coconut either but, at the same time, there's a simplicity about it that could either be a good or bad thing (depending on your experience with vetiver essential oils). I'm still on the fence about it but still find it enjoyable to wear. And it doesn't possess the smoky masculinity that some vetivers are renowned for.
    Disregarding the overall perfume smell, what does the vetiver smell like?
    Dense like in Bourbon Vetiver by Miller Harris ?

for swap/sale:

I agree with those who used the words raw, rooty, and green. It made me think of the Etro and Goutal vetivers. Very natural smelling, to my nose.

Thanks Haunani.

I blind bought it yesterday so there is little to no point in asking further. Its only a matter of time before I smell it.
    I guess others could benefit from my queries.

Thanks everyone.

for swap/sale:

I’ve been musing over Turtle Vetiver Front for the last couple of hours and many interesting thoughts have arisen regarding its concept. However, it’s too early to make any comment on this.

I’m not sure if this has been speculated/confirmed by anyone else, but I’m getting the impression that the name is derived based on vetiver being the first accord out of the gate. Therefore, Turtle Vetiver Back will probably be about a flurry of different notes (olfactorily related or otherwise to the star accord) that gradually disperse to allow the drydown of vetiver to shine in all its glory.

Just a thought.

I’ve been musing over Turtle Vetiver Front for the last couple of hours and many interesting thoughts have arisen regarding its concept. However, it’s too early to make any comment on this.

I’m not sure if this has been speculated/confirmed by anyone else, but I’m getting the impression that the name is derived based on vetiver being the first accord out of the gate. Therefore, Turtle Vetiver Back will probably be about a flurry of different notes (olfactorily related or otherwise to the star accord) that gradually disperse to allow the drydown of vetiver to shine in all its glory.

Just a thought.
    That's smart speculation Trebor.
    Then wouldnt or actually shouldn't Exercise 1 have been called Front?
    I have yet to smell Front but I doubt it'll be more vetiver intense than Exercise 1.

for swap/sale:

That's smart speculation Trebor.
    Then wouldnt or actually shouldn't Exercise 1 have been called Front?
    I have yet to smell Front but I doubt it'll be more vetiver intense than Exercise 1.
    I never had the opportunity to try Exercise 1, so I really can't say. But I would love to hear you compare and contrast the two.

I never had the opportunity to try Exercise 1, so I really can't say. But I would love to hear you compare and contrast the two.
    Well I'd also love to read what you think about the 2. I can send you some.

Let's take it to PM.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

I wouldn't call it dense. It's definitely not as raw as Exercise No. 1 (or as watery/iodine-ish), that coconut/creaminess that everyone is sensing gives it a soft, luxuriousness that I might compare to the way Chanel softened the vetiver in Sycomore, but Front is NOT smoky or nutty. Of course, the coconut screams out at my nose, so for a while all I smell is vetiver/coconut together - which is quite nice. I have never smelled the Miller Harris, so I can't speak about its comparisons.

I too have a tiny vial with about 2 applications left of Exercise No. 1. My goal, one of these days, is to test it and Front side-by-side and write up a review. I'd love it if more people would participate in that.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I can relate to that mike.
    Did te coconut note in Santal 33 stand out to yiu? If so, is it coconutty in the same way with TV Front?
    I personally cannot detect the coconut note in S33.

for swap/sale:

I just got my sample and put it on. It's like wet earth dark soil, rooty. More like an essential oil.

I've got Mona's vetiver on the other wrist and they are nothing alike. The mona version is sweet and spicy, Front is more like digging in a garden in wet earthy soil, not as nuanced.

I'm getting the impression that the name is derived based on vetiver being the first accord out of the gate. Therefore, Turtle Vetiver Back will probably be about a flurry of different notes (olfactorily related or otherwise to the star accord) that gradually disperse to allow the drydown of vetiver to shine in all its glory.

Just a thought.
    Great thoughts, I bet you are right on this.

Basenotes Institution

I can relate to that mike.
    Did te coconut note in Santal 33 stand out to yiu? If so, is it coconutty in the same way with TV Front?
    I personally cannot detect the coconut note in S33.
    Yes, the coconut note in that Le Labo does the same exact thing - I can smell it instantly upon application. Same goes for the other scents I namechecked in my review above. The same thing happened when I first tested Creed's Windsor - that tiny fig leaf/coconut note just jumped out at me. It's strange - since it seems that there are many of you who don't smell this accord at all. That baffles me.

I read a review of Front on Perfume Shrine this morning and she mentions the note - so I feel a little better than my nose isn't bananas.

-- Eckhart Tolle