Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Layer Midnight Oud + 10 Corso Como vs. Portrait of a Lady??

I have a sample of Malle's Portrait of a Lady that I'm in love with, but it's so expensive and while I love it, it isn't a fragrance I would wear every day... I was advised that layering Juliette Has a Gun Midnight Oud and 10 Corso Como is similar and a better value because you then have 3 fragrances for about the same price, if not less...

I've compared them, and I think they're actually quite different. POAL smells "dirtier" and more dynamic to me.. but I'm torn nonetheless...

Thoughts??

Thank you!!

Default Re: Layer Midnight Oud + 10 Corso Como vs. Portrait of a Lady??

Welcome to Basenotes, Bianca!

I highly doubt that layering those two would smell similar to Portrait of a Lady. Besides, both are less wearable imo than Portrait. You need to enjoy the Montale-type oud to like Midnight Oud and appreciate linear, relatively dry woody scents to like 10CC. So I am afraid you would end up with no scents for the price of two.

I suggest that you buy a decant of Portrait then you can test it further. A sample is often not enough to decide it a scent is worth owning a bottle of. You could try to swap for a decant or check if somebody has one for sale on the wiki.

Alternatively, you could get the purse sprays (3x10 ml) of Portrait or the 50 ml bottle instead of the big 100 ml one. This way you would be spending less than for Midnight Oud and 10CC and you have the scent you love instead of poor replacements.

And hey, who says that you would have to wear it every day? You would only get bored of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bonsai!

Great suggestion. I will buy a decant of Portrait for sure. Have you ever ordered from theperfumedcourt.com? Is there a better way to go?

I think it's interesting that you think Portrait is more wearable than Midnight Oud and Corso Como. I find Portrait so strong and less wearable than CC and MO. I LOVE it, but I do worry when I wear it that people around me think, wow, someone is wearing too much perfume.. (not that I should care, right?).

The Perfumed Court is great, although really expensive. It's worth checking the wiki out and comparing the prices.

I don't think others will find it too much if you spray Portrait in moderation. You could ask your family or friends to tell you how much sillage you have, it's often difficult to judge it when you are the wearer of the scent. If you're still worried you could just spray it in the air and walk through the mist. Or spray it under your clothes.