Code of Conduct

Default Please help me find an everyday scent! Creed OV?

TL;DR version - Is there anything I haven't sampled that is tangential to Creed OV (unoffensive/pleasant but masculine) that can be work in any situation?

Long version - I'm late 20s and haven't worn any fragrance in ten years because "cologne" (think Cool Water, Hugo Boss, Chrome Azzaro, etc.) made me feel sick. I didn't think I'd ever be comfortable wearing anything until I smelled some great fragrances that don't have the cheap/synthetic quality I associated with cologne in high school.

The goal: I am looking for an everyday scent that I can wear in any situation - office, dinner, weekends, casual, formal, rain, or shine. Like many, I associate certain smells with my mother, father and grandparents, and I like the idea of others associating a particular scent with me.

My favorite so far is Creed Original Vetiver. It is very pleasant and dries down to a very clean/soapy but masculine smell. I think it's unoffensive for work but powerful/masculine enough to be worn at night. Before I make the $200 purchase however, I want to be certain I'm not overlooking other ideas.

Other fragrances I've sampled and enjoy but don't like as much:
    • C&S Vetiver Vert & FM Geranium pour Monsieur: the incense (?) thing throws me off, but otherwise, second favorites
    • FM Vetiver Extraordinaire & Tom Ford Grey Vetiver: little too sharp, seemingly not as versatile
    • Atelier Trefle Pur: like everything but the reminder of cologne
    • Heeley Menthe Fraiche, Pens Castile, Gendarme: also like but too feminine for me
    • Mugler Cologne: I like OV better
    • Miller et Bertaux Green, Green, Green and Green #3: too similar to a home scent
    • C&S line, Pens (Racquets, Satorial, BB), Serge Lutens L'eau: not for me

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Default Re: Please help me find an everyday scent! Creed OV?

If anyone wants to swap samples, I am going to post my list on the Swap Forum and link here when I do.

Edit: Just found out I can't do this unless I pay to join...might do this later.

Have you tried other Creeds? Especially Millesime Imperial.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Also Prada Amber and Infusion dHomme
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I sampled most of the Creeds but only came away remembering the OV. There may have been some nose fatigue though. I'll have to try that one again next time I'm at Neimans.

I've seen Infusion d'Homme mentioned in some other threads but haven't come across it at any stores. How does this compare to you?

Basenotes Member

A favorite vetiver scent around here is Chanel Sycomore. To my taste it is amazing. You might want to give it a shot.

Soapy and clean is the only way i can think to describe it. It is just like a very expensive white bar of french milled soap. I believe Saks still carries it. May be at some Sephoras also.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Banned

Sycomore by Chanel - Upon application, one is treated to a stimulating wave of hesperidic notes, with their inherent tangerine, orange, bergamot and lemon flavors; aldehydes heigthen their sparkliness. Riding the crest of this citrus swell, haitian vetiver imparts its green and smoky facets. A faint anise bobs about. Carried to the waiting middle, fruity and shyly spicy pink pepper showers the airy and bitter vetiver, and is married with the fresh and clean woodiness of cypress, while a hint of sensual jasmine and haunting frankincense waft about. Transitioning to the welcoming base, creamy sandlewood, dry cedar and pine needle-like juniper encase the rooty vetiver, as delicate ylang-ylang lightly mists the lush and woodsy melange adding a trace of powder, and orris masterfully impregnates the concoction with its wet, earthy and slight violet-like facets. With a feebly sour and warm musk flickering, and a sweet and balsamic styrax adding a kiss of vanilla, an exquisite drydown ensues. This elegant composition befits a gentleman. A tasteful and refined, all-season fragrance, it has average projection and good longevity.

Creed Green Irish Tweed. If you may have liked CoolWater, this has a similar opening without the synthetic smell but quickly transforms into a classy fresh scent. Also, Creed Aventus is great too. Its the type of scent that after a short period of time you might even feel is not there but everyone around you will be able to smell. Its a great scent and I have yet to meet anybody in person who dislikes it.
    My Swap List: [url]http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304870-Designer-and-Niche-bottles-and-decants-for-swap[/url]

Top 10 Favorite Fragrances:
    1) Creed- Aventus
    2) Heeley Menthe Fraiche
    3) Gucci Pour Homme II
    4) Christian Dior- Fahrenheit (Vintage)
    5) Creed- Green Irish Tweed
    6) Diptique- Philosykos
    7) Dior Homme Intense
    8) L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme
    9) Rochas Man
    10) Midnight In Paris

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Other fragrances I've sampled and enjoy but don't like as much:
    • C&S Vetiver Vert & FM Geranium pour Monsieur: the incense (?) thing throws me off, but otherwise, second favorites
    • FM Vetiver Extraordinaire & Tom Ford Grey Vetiver: little too sharp, seemingly not as versatile
    • Atelier Trefle Pur: like everything but the reminder of cologne
    • Heeley Menthe Fraiche, Pens Castile, Gendarme: also like but too feminine for me
    • Mugler Cologne: I like OV better
    • Miller et Bertaux Green, Green, Green and Green #3: too similar to a home scent
    • C&S line, Pens (Racquets, Satorial, BB), Serge Lutens L'eau: not for me

Does anyone have any other ideas?
    Adolfo Dominguez - Vetiver Hombre

Why? It has a classique 'boiled shirt' aura to it. Verry manly, well groomed, handsome and gentle. Cheap as dirt, but high quality. The rooty, ever so slightly (!!!) sour dry down persists for many hours and remains shimmering enough to not bore You or anybody else. Compared to the daft Creed that has some class, and I mean it!

Forget Creed!
    Creed as a brand is the Mercedes among perfumes: overprized classless ugliness for tasteless nouveau riches: Creed/Mercedes is for snobs.

So many helpful hints!
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

In my opinion, OV is a good choice as an everyday scent

Basenotes Plus

I like OV but for an every day scent I would spend less and have YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. A classic clean barbershop fragrance and I have yet to come across anyone who dislikes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In my opinion, OV is a good choice as an everyday scent
    +1.....

OV is fine, went thru a few bottles a few years back.

Granville from Dior's Private Collection is probably the closest I have to an everyday style scent that I would recommend to pretty well anyone - works well in any situation. For the quality you're getting it's also priced more realistically than the Creed line.

Comme Des Garcons Vettiveru! Quality scent, amazing longevity for an EdC (I get 8+ hours) and it has a very nice vetiver note which interplays very well with the citrus and light florals and has a base of, light creamy cedar and a slightly sweet and clean white musk. It is a light scent with decent projection for the first couple of hours, but becomes lighter with time, but always everpresent.

The keywords here are light, fresh and everpresent

Oh and get the 500mL/17oz bottle, it is value for money you can really feel on and it is so nice to be able to splash it around.

But anyway, shop around for some samples or decants and get an impression of what scents you prefer, and how much you want to spend on them.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Atelier Bois Blonds is quite similar to OV but better bang for your buck as it comes in a 6.7oz bottle for roughly the same price as a 4oz OV.

Another for Creed OV

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Another for Creed OV
    + 2

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Also Prada Amber and Infusion dHomme
    These are much better than OV.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I sampled Creed OV and liked it. I then read on here that Mugler Cologne was very similar. I purchased a 4 oz. tester for under $30 and it was well worth it. I think it's very similar to OV but much cheaper and it seems to last longer on me. I would definitely check that out as it is a very good, inoffensive, soapy scent.

Why not Guerlain Vetiver?

Thanks for all the great advice!

Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, CdG Vettiveru were all on my short list to sample, but I haven't seen them in stores. I ordered samples from C&S and Aedes and received some free ones from Penhaligon's, but I've been hesitant to spend the $3 - $5 per sample on luckyscent. (After not loving any of the 20+ samples I've ordered or any I've smelled at the department stores, I'm cautious.) Really wanted to try the Vettiveru... Anyone know where they are available to smell in person?

Granville and Sycomore look interesting...are these sold in stores? I haven't heard of these yet.

The Guerlain reviews talk a lot about the tobacco/ashtray note - any truth to that?

And I think Mugler is similar to OV but not as good. Money isn't a big deal, and I'm only looking for one signature scent.

I wish I didn't need 500+ posts to start a swap thread! That would make this process much easier.
    Last edited by Chip; 23rd January 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Give Green Irish Tweed a few good wearings. At first I thought it was generic, until the drydown came along. Oh man. OV is good too.

Sycomore and stuff like that is a waste of your time if youre looking for an inoffensive everyday scent. Just my opinion, but youre on the right track!

Just go with CREED Original Vetiver.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    My favorite so far is Creed Original Vetiver. It is very pleasant and dries down to a very clean/soapy but masculine smell. I think it's unoffensive for work but powerful/masculine enough to be worn at night. Before I make the $200 purchase however, I want to be certain I'm not overlooking other ideas.
    don't over think it. go with your gut. Original Vetiver is exactly what you are looking for and will make you happy for years to come.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Original Vetiver is the stuff of legends. Go with it.

I went ahead and ordered the OV. I'll continue to sample some of the options in the thread...can always sell the Creed if I change my taste.

Thanks for the options!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Check out Chevrefeuille Original if you have a chance. It's an EDT. Beautiful grassy green scent, with perfume strength. If you like greens, you'll love it.

I agree that Mugler isn't quite as good as OV. For me, it's a money thing, but if I could afford it at all times, I'd contantly stock OV.

I don't know. I have a hard time recommending Creed for daily use due to usually poor longevity and projection. The only one that " works " for me is GIT.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille