Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Loewe 7: Initial impressions

Sculpture and Alfarom, i was trying to say that they could have make it more complex maybe, trying to distinguish it from other possible frags, and make it unique. But it would certainly loose it`s qualities, as Sculpture said. And one of them it`s the lovely sillage it possesses. My intention was not diminish the scent, sorry if it sounded this way

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Sculpture and Alfarom, i was trying to say that they could have make it more complex maybe, trying to distinguish it from other possible frags, and make it unique. But it would certainly loose it`s qualities, as Sculpture said. And one of them it`s the lovely sillage it possesses. My intention was not diminish the scent, sorry if it sounded this way
    I love open discussions and alternate viewpoints! And heck, even if someone hates the scent, it doesn't make me love it any less.

Sorry if I come off as aggressively defensive. I must be because everyone is apologizing! It's really not my intention though - I'm just debating what I see as the merits. As mentioned, a lot of the qualities 7 possesses I feel TdH does, too, and I know a lot of people LOVE TdH, but I just can't stand it. To each their own!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

No problems Sculpture, i don`t think you`re being aggresive, but i wanted to let it clear that in this case i didn`t want to be negative...

Do you have a throat irritation with Encre Noire and Perles de Lalique? Those two i get a big Iso E Super Aura on my skin.
    I cannot remeber the Iso aspecto of Loewe 7 on me, maybe it remains on the background, with the incense and spice note upfront

Never tried Perles and it's been so long that I tried EN that I don't remember. I think I still have a sample of EN so I should test it - but seeing as I don't much care for the scent (and haven't enjoyed any other known iso e heavy scents) it'll be hard to motivate myself to actually spend a day wearing it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I get what you mean and it didn't sound exactly negative, but considering the huge amount of incense-based compositions that invaded the market in the past ten years and considering also that I'm a sucker for resins and incense (therefore I became quite demanding), it just sounded a bit disencouraging, nothing bad about it...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    @blackened I actually did try it again, if you followed the thread
    sorry sir, I didn´t see that part. It was more a way of saying: you will certainly find incense there next time, especially you , being a intelligent man as you are.
    Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

excuse me for interfering the discussion.
    I have not tried every incense fragrances on the market, but precisely, the good thing about this one is that, belonging clearly to the genre ,still gives a modern twist (I think urban) to a difficult issue of fragance world with austere resonances .
    In summary, Loewe 7 is very incense, yes, but at the same time different from the rest.
    Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Guys. Excuse me for interupting ......
    Sos have you trien Messe de Minuit ?
    If you have how do they compare ?

Hi Dimitrios,

Sorry, I've not tried Messe de Minuit. I know I should remedy that! Too many frags, too little time.

I think I'm getting the iso e super in the dry down - I definitely get something that lasts forever on skin. It smells a bit more incense/flinty to me though than I remember pure iso e smelling (which was more cedar/raspy). Longevity is insane - 20+ hours and through a shower.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Guys. Excuse me for interupting ......
    Sos have you trien Messe de Minuit ?
    If you have how do they compare ?
    I have both. I can do a side by side and let you know. My MdM is a newer EDT version from around 2008-2009, which I believe is less intense than the older EDC version.

My impression, based on memory, is that 7 is lighter and more subtle than MdM. But I will have to try both again to give you more details.
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Elide by Diptyque

Still love this scent -have been wearing it a lot lately. It's simultaneously quite synthetic and yet quite natural. Hard to articulate how that works exactly, but it's clearly synthetic in its strength and the clear delineation of notes (no doubt this is helped by the sparse formula, which I believe from the interviews I've read may actually contain only seven ingredients/aromachemicals total), but the end result smells natural - incense and incense smoke + tart apples + clove + vetiver.

Simple and beautiful. The only qualm I have with it is that it seems to irritate my eyes and throat slightly if I put on 3 or more sprays, but it's quite strong and honestly 1 or at most 2 strategically placed sprays (mid chest or lower) seems to work well and minimize that issue.

It may have worked its way into my top 10. It is one of those rare scents that I find beautiful, interesting, and extremely wearable/versatile. It's easy to find a scent with one of the those three qualities, difficult to find one with two, and damn near impossible to find one with all three. 7, amongst a few other fragrances, is the reason I had to include "damn near" in front of the impossible in the last sentence!

Is a winner in my book. It is ashy and gray, yet sweet and comfortable.
    I never thought that an incensed one could project such a beautiful and masculine halo.
    Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I'll make sure to try it!

I've only tried Aqua and Esencia from the Loewe line. Aqua was just a boring aquatic, Esencia was a great smooth masculine. Will be sure to try this, thank your for the topic!

Sound Scents

I got my samples a little while ago and unfortunately the clove was a bit too much for me. For those that love clove I am sure they will be happy with 7, but I guess just "liking" clove is not enough for this one, IMO as it is quite clove-heavy to my nose.

As an aside, I thought the apple would really be a problem, but somewhat ironically, as SoS alluded to it was really nicely done by not being sweet or dominant at all... It actually works very well in 7 as a supporting note, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: JHL by Aramis

Got the samples today, though I'll only be trying them tomorrow because I'm already covered in other things.

I'll wear it out in the morning. Hopefully I'll like it!

Good sTuFF......IMO it´s the best fragrance from Loewe House

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I got my samples a little while ago and unfortunately the clove was a bit too much for me. For those that love clove I am sure they will be happy with 7, but I guess just "liking" clove is not enough for this one, IMO as it is quite clove-heavy to my nose.

As an aside, I thought the apple would really be a problem, but somewhat ironically, as SoS alluded to it was really nicely done by not being sweet or dominant at all... It actually works very well in 7 as a supporting note, IMO.
    Sorry to hear that drseid. I found the clove note really strong my first few wearings but later it seemed much more subdued - I think I had problems smelling the incense and apple and vetiver at full strength and would go anosmic to part of it and then the clove seemed to shout. Now it seems much more balanced with only a moderate clove spiciness to it - actually, it's more just the spicey aspect than the whole clove (I wonder if it's just isolated eugenol rather than a clove oil?).

Finally tested it.

Very plesant scent. A barbershoppy scent with lots of apple and some incense. I only get vetiver very late into the drydown. Lots of Iso E Super in the drydown, which isn't something I'm a huge fan of (gives a very 'cologney', cheap, burning feel to fragrances), but doesn't bother me too much and seems unavoidable in all modern releases

I can barely smell it though.. Had to use up a 2ml sample to get the projection and sillage I wanted

It's a nice scent, but I still think Esencia is the better Loewe scent
    Last edited by Erik_Safari; 14th February 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Oh man, I have to wonder if it was, and I admit I think it must have been, a huge case of olfactory fatigue. I can't imagine how strong 2mls worth (what is that, about 20 sprays?) would be. Two sprays lasts 24 hours on me and projects quite comfortably.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Oh man, I have to wonder if it was, and I admit I think it must have been, a huge case of olfactory fatigue. I can't imagine how strong 2mls worth (what is that, about 20 sprays?) would be. Two sprays lasts 24 hours on me and projects quite comfortably.
    agree!

just 2 or 3 is enough.
    Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Today I went with less than 1ml... You're right, it's 100% olfactory fatigue.
    For some reason, before I spray, I can smell the scent from the sprayer. Afterwards, something just 'blocks' my nose and not only do I not smell it on myself, but if I smell the sprayer, I only smell alcohol, no fragrance.

Eventually I get whiffs of the smell, which means it IS there. And late into the drydown, when the vetiver comes out, I can perfectly smell it. But for some reason, I can't smell anything during the top blast.

Also, it had been bothering me for a while, but I just remembered what this smells like; this smells exactly like a brand of shaving foam I once used, but I haven't seen anyone else even mention shaving foam here. Am I the only one who gets it?

Anyway, this stuff is growing on me. Still have 2 more ml of it to enjoy
    Last edited by Erik_Safari; 15th February 2012 at 11:32 AM.

If you ever think of what shaving foam that was.. please let me know! I'm wearing 7 again today and love it just as much as before. W/o question it's in my top 20.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Can anyone confirm if this is really similar to Cacharel Pour homme as some claim on fragrantica please.I do have Cacharel and it's full of nutmeg.I dont see nutmeg in the notes here so am curious how the two get linked together.Help please

I can't confirm or deny that freddie as I've not tried Cacharel, but I really don't get nutmeg in 7. I get a lot of allspice - which yes, does have some nutmeg qualities, but is more clove/cinnamon/cardamom than nutmeg, and here it is primarily clove/cinnamony with that characteristic 'allspice quality' (not sure how to articulate that better).

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I can't confirm or deny that freddie as I've not tried Cacharel, but I really don't get nutmeg in 7. I get a lot of allspice - which yes, does have some nutmeg qualities, but is more clove/cinnamon/cardamom than nutmeg, and here it is primarily clove/cinnamony with that characteristic 'allspice quality' (not sure how to articulate that better).

Well thanks a lot.as it's turned out am already broke so will have to wait on getting a sample to check it out.just cant afford a full bottle now.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    I love this scent. The Spanish "do it again!"

For me, there are two phases to this scent:

1. The incense, like the prayer in the chapel before the bullfight.

2. The rose-floral. It's like the bouquets thrown into the corrida when the matador is victorious. Or, at his funeral, as the case may be.
    Well said - i am wearing No.7 Today, i get this exact feeling!

Digging up this one, but I just got a sample of this and sprayed it on the top of my hand about 15 minutes ago. My initial impressions were actually the same as SoS's. The VERY first blast smelled almost of pure alcohol, but after about 3 seconds the clovey incense came out, and left a really good initial impression. I'm looking forward to how this one is going to develop.

I'm also curious about the same inquiry that another poster asked as to how this compared to the modern Messe de Minuit. It's been about a year since I smelled Etro's Messe de Minuit, but I can see where the comparison could be.

I have owned this for about 6 months now. It is a different twist on incense - as some have mentioned - it kind of has a "modern" feel to it. I like it, but don't really love it. When I need a pure incense fragrance, I put many others above this one. Still pretty nice though. Good longevity on me.

I really want to try Loewe 7 Natural, but it seems to be unavailable anywhere in the US as far as I can tell.

I tired this and sold my bottle quickly. I really really liked the idea of it but was looking forward to the apple note. I wish the apple note stood out more. However, the clove note and the olfactory fatigue issue with this caused disappointment for me. I wear my fragrances for myself and if ISo E Super can't be detected by me and others ae going to enjoy it, I really don't care about that.

In the end I felt that CdG Jaisalmer was a better version of this. Too bad of course no apple note there and even Jaisalmer is heavy on IES.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Didn't like it either when I tried it.