Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Loewe 7: Initial impressions

The tag line in the sample vial insert had me simultaneously intrigued and ready to roll my eyes: "Human and Divine."

Big words Loewe, and big words elicit big expectations. Holding the sample vial in hand, I was ready to be disappointed.

My initial reaction was extreme indeed, but definitely not disappointment. It was almost an involuntary reaction after the initial spray.. "WOW this stuff is fantastic!"

I've got to put in some more wearings to tease out the details of the scent as there are many little nuances that are tucked into an otherwise linear 'spine' but here are my initial impressions:

7 is an amazing ethereal incense that carries subtle floral, clove (pimento berry, actually, although it smells fairly clove-like and that's the easier way to explain it to those who've not smelled pimento berries) and apple notes in its smoky wake. There are elements of TdH here too - a similar vetiver and atlas cedar note, and some of the flintiness, too - and I also get elements of Micallef's Jewel Man, but I think 7 is the best of the three fragrances.

Micallef's Shanaan is still a truer frankincense (seeing as it really has no other detectable notes present), but 7 is easier to wear because it has a bit more going on and is thus less austere and also more interesting. The frankincense really is the star of the show in 7 though.

Two more frags it shares some similarities with - L'Anarchiste (the metallic aspect, the clovey aspect, the neroli and cedar elements) and Amouage Opus IV. In fact, it's like a stripped down of Amouage Opus IV with less fruits and less adornments in general. It's kind of like the spine of Opus IV, minus the extravagant trappings. Having said that, I don't think that makes 7 a lesser fragrance than Opus IV - in many ways it is as or even more enjoyable.

7 is primarily incense with hints of neroli and rose, a good dose of the clovey pimento berry, and a bit of apple that is detectable from time to time, but I find that it does indeed carry itself all the way down to the base. The incense is augmented by cedar and vetiver, the latter two melding so seamlessly to the frankincense that it is easy to miss them entirely. The cedar adds the slightly angular element that is present in true burning frankincense resin, and the vetiver deepens the whole accord and extends its longevity. Actually, the cedar/incense pairing here reminds me of the incense accord in Chembur by Byredo, but it's deeper and richer in 7, and has none of the hamster-cage associations I sometimes get with Chembur.

This scent is extremely masculine and yet modern. While they don't smell alike, per se, 7 does share a lot of the character of Terre d'Hermes - both are very masculine scents that are so unlike the saccharine floral offerings that now make up the majority of the modern men's offerings, and yet both are relatively transparent in weight and feel - so unlike the uber masculine scents of the 80s.

I honestly feel this scent could and should have the kind of exposure on BN as TdH does. If you haven't tried this, do yourself a favor and track down some samples - on Ebay if you must (that's what I ended up having to do), I'm pretty sure you'll like it if you like masculine woody/incense scents (TdH/Gucci PH/CdG incenses/etc).
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 23rd January 2012 at 06:32 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Loewe 7: Initial impressions

it's modern, masculine and it has an individuality in the current offerings. Although I find it lacking.
    My wife likes it though.

Apple and cloves sound about right. it doesn't inspire me to be more enthusiastic about the rest of the fragrance . Nothing objectionable, pleasing even, but not terribly exciting for me.

Glad you found something you liked.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 23rd January 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: too much though :P

I'm curious what you found lacking about it? Is it too linear.. too austere?

I can imagine a few objections to the scent for those who don't like incense oriented scents, but I gather that you generally do like incense heavy scents sarıpatates, and I'm curious where Loewe falls short for you. To me, it captures the spirit of frankincense smoke quite well - it is simple in many ways, and definitely transparent just as the real smoke is, but it is that simplicity and singular focus that makes it transportive (to me, of course).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I do like incense fragrances a lot. This doesn't really come off incense-y to me. Fruity fresh opening, cloves, nutmeg, soap. It is linear and simple but there are many such fragrances that I like. It's just not interesting or delicious enough I suppose.

I'll retry it in the evening and report back, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    There are elements of TdH here too - a similar vetiver and atlas cedar note, and some of the flintiness, too - ...
    That ruins it for me. A 'drydown' of vetiver plus iso E super and less else? I know I always tend to simplify concoctions. But Terre D'Hermes really terrified me. I felt buried alive in a transparent cloud of coagulated air. Eaten by a jelly fish? The most nauseating olfactory sensation I ever experienced - and there were quite a few - honestly!

WildThingy, I don't really like TdH either, to be honest. I almost like it - I like the idea and the basic collection of notes, just not how they're assembled and the heavy use of iso e super and over use of the flinty aspect.

I don't detect iso e super as heavily in Loewe 7 - instead the 'transparent cloud' is achieved through the use of an airy frankincense note. What the two fragrances primarily share is their modern masculinity and relatively harsh/dry characters.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds incredible, SoS. I will certainly be tracking down a sample of this one as I love Incense, TdH and The Jewel of Micallef for Him. If it combines elements of all those, I should love the stuff. The only thing that may be tough for me is the apple... I am not a big fan of apple fragrances, but maybe this will be the first... Time to sign off and seek samples... NOW. Thanks so much as always SoS for your detailed write-up.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frťdťric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driý) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

My initial reaction was extreme indeed, but definitely not disappointment. It was almost an involuntary reaction after the initial spray.. "WOW this stuff is fantastic!"
    This was the pretty much my reaction when I tested it. Got a small spray sample when I ordered my Vettiveru, and decided to check it out and put a spray on the top of my hand. The incense and cedar blast immediately reminded me of Kyoto, and when I got the vetiver in it, it only strenghtened the CDG association. Then I got the slightly fruity/sweet and spicy clove/cinnamon and apple, which gave the scent another dimension and set it apart from the CDGs.

I have to give it a full wearing or two if the sample contains enough for it, but I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a full bottle, the second i put my nose to it because, yes "this stuff is fantastic".
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Sounds incredible, SoS. I will certainly be tracking down a sample of this one as I love Incense, TdH and The Jewel of Micallef for Him. If it combines elements of all those, I should love the stuff. The only thing that may be tough for me is the apple... I am not a big fan of apple fragrances, but maybe this will be the first... Time to sign off and seek samples... NOW. Thanks so much as always SoS for your detailed write-up.
    The apple is not particularly distinct to me and blends in very much with the clove. It's more of a slightly sweet red impression - kind of the same function of the benzoin in both TdH and Jewel Man, although with a (slight) fruity twist.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

The apple is not particularly distinct to me and blends in very much with the clove. It's more of a slightly sweet red impression - kind of the same function of the benzoin in both TdH and Jewel Man, although with a (slight) fruity twist.
    Even better. Samples ordered and on the way. Thanks again. :-)
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice way to describe it, I agree.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonds fantastic SOS. I will surely try it...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Should also note that longevity is proving to be very good on my skin while projection is - i'm not sure, actually. I think it might be really strong and causing olfactory fatigue because I do lose the scent sometimes for fairly long periods but then pick it up very clearly later on, and it was still going strong 8+ hours later and the incense dry down was still semi-noticeable after a shower even.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I received a free sample of this with an order from ALZD and I must say, my first impressions are very good.

I've yet to give it a full wearing, but I am certainly happy to give it a chance.

It's so odd that this comes in a blue bottle as it is so distinctly rendered in the hues of a golden amber sunrise.

***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

One other oddity about this scent: the sample sleeve lists citric acid as an ingredient. I've never seen a perfume list this as an ingredient before. Odd! I am assuming it is being used to bolster the acidic citrus element of the frankincense and there's definitely a unique quality to the lemony opening - I've just never seen this done/listed before.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've spent the last 30 minutes searching high and low trying to figure out who the perfumer is for this. According to this site (after translation) http://cristianaarcangeli.com.br/cor...cia-no-brasil/ the perfumer is Emilio Valeras - who I've learned is Loewe's primary/in-house perfumer (although I know he hasn't done all of their scents. Maybe he just took up fairly recently?)

If anyone can tell me more about Mr. Valeras I'd appreciate it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Wow, I dug up something really cool with my continued searching - an interview with the perfumer.

Here's the original page ( http://esquire.esmas.com/estilo/238381/loewe-7 )

Here's the article and interview - the translation isn't the best but there's some interesting tidbits here (like working on the perfume for a year and a half as well as over 1000 trials!)

"The sand of the Bullring Plaza, Marbella boasts impeccable, without traces of blood and fingerprints that her mark in the afternoon Bullfight. In this afternoon of June, resembles a ghost square, more than nine thousand localities are empty. There is also no bullfighters, picadors and banderilleros, and the attention of journalists who travel to this Andalusian City focuses on a white structure of several meters high cube-shaped, placed right in the heart of the arena.
    Of course, we know that we are here for the submission of the fourth male fragrance in the history of Loewe, signing Spanish founded in 1846 which is famous for its luxurious leather articles. They have also informed us that the protagonist of the campaign is the matador Cayetano Rivera OrdůŮez. But we still have no idea of the name of the perfume nor, obviously, its aroma.
    Juan Pedro Abeniacar, President of Perfumes Loewe, enters the white cube and solves the mystery. It tells us that the new fragrance is called 7 Loewe, and we can see its elegant bottle cobalt blue (one of the colors used in the suit of lights) and smell it first. There are murmurs of approval, especially when Juan Pedro explains that the perfume is made only with seven ingredients.
    This small detail exemplifies the high level of conceptual development behind 7 Loewe, which included, inter alia, meetings with experts in Numerology, astronomy, theology and classical culture. Those identified to explain this refining process are Aemilius valeros and Silvia Gozalo, technical director and Creative Director of Perfumes Loewe, respectively.
    A brave fragrance
    Emilio valeros has worked for Loewe for 19 years and is one of the great noses of the world.
    Esquire: what more you proud 7 Loewe?
    Emilio valeros: while in a normal perfume can be to use 100 or 200 components, in 7 Loewe only have used seven, which made the process extremely complicated but very interesting. It is the first time that becomes a perfume as well.
    Esq: how long it took to develop it?
    EV: Around for a year and a half, during which tests were performed more than a thousand. In the process he has worked with the three best companies in research and development of raw materials in the world.
    Esq: what image you most like to explain the aroma of 7 Loewe: the seven deadly sins or seven colours of the Rainbow?
    EV: Its charm is that it can represent both an image and the other. The seven is a special number that appears in the oldest historical documents and has presence in all cultures.
    Esq: how you define to 7 Loewe?
    EV: As a fragrance in skin, brave, pure, passionate and rich. It has a great personality and express elegance, modernity, masculinity and mystery.
    Esq: Do you think that the taste of the men as the fragrances has changed?
    EV: since then. Man has changed far more than women over the years. Now perfume more and are more daring when using different scents, although they remain somewhat conservative. In addition, the palette of scents used in male fragrances is smaller than in the female, and focuses on fresh, spicy aromas and factory, which is why man is more limited than women here.

BETWEEN THE HUMAN AND THE DIVINE
    Silvia Gozalo works Loewe since 1999. He currently the Creative Director of the area of perfumes.
    Esquire: How did the idea of 7 Loewe?
    Silvia Gozalo: The development process of a fragrance may be either very complex or very simple, and usually arise in the most unexpected way. In this case, was in a brainstorming with the ceo (Abeniacar), who raised that, given the difficulty to register names (seems as if everyone were already registered), use the number seven, which seemed to be everywhere and special.
    Esq: And then investigate the meanings of the seven.
    SG: We began to investigate and it turned out that the seven was an inexhaustible source of information, a magic number that appeared on all sides: the week, the Rainbow, the lunar cycle (seven)"
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

It was one of the fragrances that i liked the most to sample from the recent masculine launches. For me, the incense aura of Loewe 7 is reminiscent of Comme des Garcons Incense Series. I like the orchestration of a more sutble incense, the spicy cloveish touch ties with it very well, but my favorite part is the apple note that comes into focus sometimes. It makes me think of the smell of apples in a boiling water for a tea, maybe due to the spice aromas too. It`s hard to pick, but there is a dark, slightly sweet rose aura that gives a discreet elegant touch to the overall composition. It`s a very refined incense frag, but you have to pay attention to its details to not loose interesting parts of its aura.

Post Thanks / Like

I've spent the last 30 minutes searching high and low trying to figure out who the perfumer is for this. According to this site (after translation) http://cristianaarcangeli.com.br/cor...cia-no-brasil/ the perfumer is Emilio Valeras - who I've learned is Loewe's primary/in-house perfumer (although I know he hasn't done all of their scents. Maybe he just took up fairly recently?)

If anyone can tell me more about Mr. Valeras I'd appreciate it.
    The person who wrotte this article is my friend. I can see if she knows anything else about the perfumer.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, fresh test.

Nutmeg, cloves, cedar-ish peppery incensy iso e super are front runners. Also another woody amber, and a fruity freshness. Apple is even less apparent in the composition than I remember.

Compared with jacomo de jacomo, definite resemblance, loewe is snappier, sharper and more sparse, jacomo is soapier and the wood is more old school, sweeter and complex.
    Compared with cacharel pour homme, dead ringer. Again, loewe 7 is more modern. Cacharel is even more citric up top.
    Compared with several frankincenses not much similarity :/ The incense is probably meant to convey a burnt wood note, which it does have. Slightly terpenic, cedar-ish and raspy.
    Compared with iso e super dilution, it's definitely in there in huge amounts. Loewe is curiously sweeter than lonely iso super.

I like the notes in it a lot. But it smells "ok" to me and I don't think it brings anything new to the table. for me. at this point. You know how it is. Once you hear a song, every other version sounds worse than that. I had a similar experience with Miller Harris' Feuille de Tabac. Which I like more than Loewe.

I do trust your nose and respect your opinions, you are one of the few people who mentioned the "burning oud smell" in al oudh, which I completely agree with. I thought maybe I missed it in loewe, but in my perception, not so.

Like I said, glad you found something you love.

On the plus side, my wife smelled it and loved it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Saripatates, in fact, it`s not original, but it seems at least properly done and somehow it doesn`t seem to be on the trend of gourmand woody fragrances. It ends smelling distinctive even if there is nothing really new about it. It could be better for sure, but it could be even worse i guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    This doesn't really come off incense-y to me.

Try again , please.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garÁons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

This scent is extremely masculine and yet modern.
    yes , it is.

There are elements of TdH here too - a similar vetiver and atlas cedar note, and some of the flintiness, too -.
    I could see the simile for that gaseous/fizzy texture but not at all for the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    The incense and cedar blast immediately reminded me of Kyoto, and when I got the vetiver in it, it only strenghtened the CDG association. Then I got the slightly fruity/sweet and spicy clove/cinnamon and apple, which gave the scent another dimension and set it apart from the CDGs.
    read this

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    It`s hard to pick, but there is a dark, slightly sweet rose aura that gives a discreet elegant touch to the overall composition.
    bingo!

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garÁons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

I love this scent. The Spanish "do it again!"

For me, there are two phases to this scent:

1. The incense, like the prayer in the chapel before the bullfight.

2. The rose-floral. It's like the bouquets thrown into the corrida when the matador is victorious. Or, at his funeral, as the case may be.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be better for sure, but it could be even worse i guess.
    this is not exactly encouraging but I guess what you mean...

Post Thanks / Like

where did you guys get your samples from?

Post Thanks / Like

@blackened I actually did try it again, if you followed the thread

In the drydown it's all papery dusty green iso super and some lingering black pepper (also an aspect of the former material)
    Now instantly I know another fragrance that this reminds me of at this stage, and it's memoir. I get how this might be translated as frankincense.

Absolutely not a bad fragrance, especially considering it's a new fragrance. This concludes my pointless contributions to the thread. I hope I wasn't a bother.

sarıpatates, you've not been a bother at all. It's good to hear contrasting viewpoints and just nice to have a discussion on the scent at all!

I seriously get a very clear frankincense note - I've got the resin at home and burn it frequently and it has a peculiar acidic/acrid lemony bite along with a fairly clean smokiness and I get this note in spades in Loewe 7. True, it is bolstered by the cedar and something which smells like nutmeg (and also, a vetiver note with a nutty/woody aspect.. I think this may be what's contributing the nutmeg note, actually), but then I find that those notes are actually facets of true burning frankincense (and especially, burning opoponax).

I'm going to have to compare this to molecule 01 as my mental perception of iso e has changed as my chemical sensitivities have changed (and thankfully, now seem to have abated entirely). I did compare 7 to TdH on paper and they share a bit of flintiness but they are decidedly different in the dry down. My gut feeling is not "overdose of IES" but instead "overdose of some frankincense aromachem" and an overdose of the cedar, too, which does indeed have that burnt quality you mention sarıpatates. In fact, it makes me think of a different woody oil entirely - copaiba balsam (you can find this same 'burnt/blackened cedar' note, which I believe is at least partially copaiba balsam, in Byredo's M/Mink and Chembur, Kilian's Pure Oud, and Al Oudh, too).

I do see the connection to Memoir, and to be honest, both of those scents do have a quality to them which slightly irritates my throat - and I don't experience that in many fragrances. If I'm brave I'll actually give a full wearing to Molecule 01 and see if it is IES that causes me the pain - because I do get that same pain w/ TdH (although I don't with other scents rumored to have large doses of IES such as Colonia Intensa). Of course, it could easily be some other woody/amber/incense chemical that is not entirely uncommon. In fact, it may be the vetiver chemical - as I find 7, TdH, and Memoir all to have very strong and - from memory - fairly similar vetiver notes present.

Anyhow, I can understand Rickbr's statement that "it could be better, but it could be much worse" but I'm not sure this frag could be improved a whole lot. You could make it more natural, but it would lose the angular qualities that make it so distinctive - not to mention it would reduce its sillage and longevity (for a more 'natural' but less unique take on the theme, there's Micallef's Jewel Man). You could embellish it and you'd get something like Opus IV - but I think you lose as much as you gain in such a process. I think it takes extreme courage and masterful blending to go for such a streamlined scent that is distinct, unique, and has great technical parameters such as longevity and sillage. It's just as hard, I think, if not harder to make a scent that doesn't rely on a ton of notes and other little smoke and mirrors tricks that perfumers have and use but instead really drills down to the essence of an idea and captures it perfectly (which, imo, 7 really does.)

For instance, when it comes to guitar solos I like Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen (a guilty pleasure), but despite - or because of - far fewer notes and far less guitar wizardry, the solos of David Gilmour really touch my soul much more deeply.

7 is a strong contender to become my favorite incense-dominant fragrance. In fact, to put it in perspective just how much I am enjoying it, just today I received a sample order from Luckyscent with Tribute, Black Tourmaline, the new Trayee, Odin's Tanoke, and a handful of other scents, and even after testing them all on paper to get a feel for them, I chose to wear 7 again today for the fourth day in a row.

*Note: I haven't smelled Cacharel so maybe 7 really is just an updated classic.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful smokey and musky fragrance that reminds me of an old wood box of cigars with outstanding longevity and sillage. Loewe 7 and Esencia de Loewe are up there in my favorite lists. Great fragrances made in EspaŮa.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Post Thanks / Like

Sculpture and Alfarom, i was trying to say that they could have make it more complex maybe, trying to distinguish it from other possible frags, and make it unique. But it would certainly loose it`s qualities, as Sculpture said. And one of them it`s the lovely sillage it possesses. My intention was not diminish the scent, sorry if it sounded this way

Sculpture and Alfarom, i was trying to say that they could have make it more complex maybe, trying to distinguish it from other possible frags, and make it unique. But it would certainly loose it`s qualities, as Sculpture said. And one of them it`s the lovely sillage it possesses. My intention was not diminish the scent, sorry if it sounded this way
    I love open discussions and alternate viewpoints! And heck, even if someone hates the scent, it doesn't make me love it any less.

Sorry if I come off as aggressively defensive. I must be because everyone is apologizing! It's really not my intention though - I'm just debating what I see as the merits. As mentioned, a lot of the qualities 7 possesses I feel TdH does, too, and I know a lot of people LOVE TdH, but I just can't stand it. To each their own!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

No problems Sculpture, i don`t think you`re being aggresive, but i wanted to let it clear that in this case i didn`t want to be negative...

Do you have a throat irritation with Encre Noire and Perles de Lalique? Those two i get a big Iso E Super Aura on my skin.
    I cannot remeber the Iso aspecto of Loewe 7 on me, maybe it remains on the background, with the incense and spice note upfront

Never tried Perles and it's been so long that I tried EN that I don't remember. I think I still have a sample of EN so I should test it - but seeing as I don't much care for the scent (and haven't enjoyed any other known iso e heavy scents) it'll be hard to motivate myself to actually spend a day wearing it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I get what you mean and it didn't sound exactly negative, but considering the huge amount of incense-based compositions that invaded the market in the past ten years and considering also that I'm a sucker for resins and incense (therefore I became quite demanding), it just sounded a bit disencouraging, nothing bad about it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    @blackened I actually did try it again, if you followed the thread
    sorry sir, I didnīt see that part. It was more a way of saying: you will certainly find incense there next time, especially you , being a intelligent man as you are.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garÁons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

excuse me for interfering the discussion.
    I have not tried every incense fragrances on the market, but precisely, the good thing about this one is that, belonging clearly to the genre ,still gives a modern twist (I think urban) to a difficult issue of fragance world with austere resonances .
    In summary, Loewe 7 is very incense, yes, but at the same time different from the rest.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garÁons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

Guys. Excuse me for interupting ......
    Sos have you trien Messe de Minuit ?
    If you have how do they compare ?

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Hi Dimitrios,

Sorry, I've not tried Messe de Minuit. I know I should remedy that! Too many frags, too little time.

I think I'm getting the iso e super in the dry down - I definitely get something that lasts forever on skin. It smells a bit more incense/flinty to me though than I remember pure iso e smelling (which was more cedar/raspy). Longevity is insane - 20+ hours and through a shower.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Guys. Excuse me for interupting ......
    Sos have you trien Messe de Minuit ?
    If you have how do they compare ?
    I have both. I can do a side by side and let you know. My MdM is a newer EDT version from around 2008-2009, which I believe is less intense than the older EDC version.

My impression, based on memory, is that 7 is lighter and more subtle than MdM. But I will have to try both again to give you more details.

Still love this scent -have been wearing it a lot lately. It's simultaneously quite synthetic and yet quite natural. Hard to articulate how that works exactly, but it's clearly synthetic in its strength and the clear delineation of notes (no doubt this is helped by the sparse formula, which I believe from the interviews I've read may actually contain only seven ingredients/aromachemicals total), but the end result smells natural - incense and incense smoke + tart apples + clove + vetiver.

Simple and beautiful. The only qualm I have with it is that it seems to irritate my eyes and throat slightly if I put on 3 or more sprays, but it's quite strong and honestly 1 or at most 2 strategically placed sprays (mid chest or lower) seems to work well and minimize that issue.

It may have worked its way into my top 10. It is one of those rare scents that I find beautiful, interesting, and extremely wearable/versatile. It's easy to find a scent with one of the those three qualities, difficult to find one with two, and damn near impossible to find one with all three. 7, amongst a few other fragrances, is the reason I had to include "damn near" in front of the impossible in the last sentence!

Post Thanks / Like

Is a winner in my book. It is ashy and gray, yet sweet and comfortable.
    I never thought that an incensed one could project such a beautiful and masculine halo.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garÁons man 2

I'll make sure to try it!

I've only tried Aqua and Esencia from the Loewe line. Aqua was just a boring aquatic, Esencia was a great smooth masculine. Will be sure to try this, thank your for the topic!

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my samples a little while ago and unfortunately the clove was a bit too much for me. For those that love clove I am sure they will be happy with 7, but I guess just "liking" clove is not enough for this one, IMO as it is quite clove-heavy to my nose.

As an aside, I thought the apple would really be a problem, but somewhat ironically, as SoS alluded to it was really nicely done by not being sweet or dominant at all... It actually works very well in 7 as a supporting note, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Got the samples today, though I'll only be trying them tomorrow because I'm already covered in other things.

I'll wear it out in the morning. Hopefully I'll like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Good sTuFF......IMO itīs the best fragrance from Loewe House

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I got my samples a little while ago and unfortunately the clove was a bit too much for me. For those that love clove I am sure they will be happy with 7, but I guess just "liking" clove is not enough for this one, IMO as it is quite clove-heavy to my nose.

As an aside, I thought the apple would really be a problem, but somewhat ironically, as SoS alluded to it was really nicely done by not being sweet or dominant at all... It actually works very well in 7 as a supporting note, IMO.
    Sorry to hear that drseid. I found the clove note really strong my first few wearings but later it seemed much more subdued - I think I had problems smelling the incense and apple and vetiver at full strength and would go anosmic to part of it and then the clove seemed to shout. Now it seems much more balanced with only a moderate clove spiciness to it - actually, it's more just the spicey aspect than the whole clove (I wonder if it's just isolated eugenol rather than a clove oil?).

Finally tested it.

Very plesant scent. A barbershoppy scent with lots of apple and some incense. I only get vetiver very late into the drydown. Lots of Iso E Super in the drydown, which isn't something I'm a huge fan of (gives a very 'cologney', cheap, burning feel to fragrances), but doesn't bother me too much and seems unavoidable in all modern releases

I can barely smell it though.. Had to use up a 2ml sample to get the projection and sillage I wanted

It's a nice scent, but I still think Esencia is the better Loewe scent
    Last edited by Erik_Safari; 14th February 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Oh man, I have to wonder if it was, and I admit I think it must have been, a huge case of olfactory fatigue. I can't imagine how strong 2mls worth (what is that, about 20 sprays?) would be. Two sprays lasts 24 hours on me and projects quite comfortably.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, I have to wonder if it was, and I admit I think it must have been, a huge case of olfactory fatigue. I can't imagine how strong 2mls worth (what is that, about 20 sprays?) would be. Two sprays lasts 24 hours on me and projects quite comfortably.
    agree!

just 2 or 3 is enough.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garÁons man 2

Today I went with less than 1ml... You're right, it's 100% olfactory fatigue.
    For some reason, before I spray, I can smell the scent from the sprayer. Afterwards, something just 'blocks' my nose and not only do I not smell it on myself, but if I smell the sprayer, I only smell alcohol, no fragrance.

Eventually I get whiffs of the smell, which means it IS there. And late into the drydown, when the vetiver comes out, I can perfectly smell it. But for some reason, I can't smell anything during the top blast.

Also, it had been bothering me for a while, but I just remembered what this smells like; this smells exactly like a brand of shaving foam I once used, but I haven't seen anyone else even mention shaving foam here. Am I the only one who gets it?

Anyway, this stuff is growing on me. Still have 2 more ml of it to enjoy
    Last edited by Erik_Safari; 15th February 2012 at 11:32 AM.

If you ever think of what shaving foam that was.. please let me know! I'm wearing 7 again today and love it just as much as before. W/o question it's in my top 20.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Can anyone confirm if this is really similar to Cacharel Pour homme as some claim on fragrantica please.I do have Cacharel and it's full of nutmeg.I dont see nutmeg in the notes here so am curious how the two get linked together.Help please

I can't confirm or deny that freddie as I've not tried Cacharel, but I really don't get nutmeg in 7. I get a lot of allspice - which yes, does have some nutmeg qualities, but is more clove/cinnamon/cardamom than nutmeg, and here it is primarily clove/cinnamony with that characteristic 'allspice quality' (not sure how to articulate that better).

I can't confirm or deny that freddie as I've not tried Cacharel, but I really don't get nutmeg in 7. I get a lot of allspice - which yes, does have some nutmeg qualities, but is more clove/cinnamon/cardamom than nutmeg, and here it is primarily clove/cinnamony with that characteristic 'allspice quality' (not sure how to articulate that better).

Well thanks a lot.as it's turned out am already broke so will have to wait on getting a sample to check it out.just cant afford a full bottle now.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    I love this scent. The Spanish "do it again!"

For me, there are two phases to this scent:

1. The incense, like the prayer in the chapel before the bullfight.

2. The rose-floral. It's like the bouquets thrown into the corrida when the matador is victorious. Or, at his funeral, as the case may be.
    Well said - i am wearing No.7 Today, i get this exact feeling!

Post Thanks / Like

Digging up this one, but I just got a sample of this and sprayed it on the top of my hand about 15 minutes ago. My initial impressions were actually the same as SoS's. The VERY first blast smelled almost of pure alcohol, but after about 3 seconds the clovey incense came out, and left a really good initial impression. I'm looking forward to how this one is going to develop.

I'm also curious about the same inquiry that another poster asked as to how this compared to the modern Messe de Minuit. It's been about a year since I smelled Etro's Messe de Minuit, but I can see where the comparison could be.

I have owned this for about 6 months now. It is a different twist on incense - as some have mentioned - it kind of has a "modern" feel to it. I like it, but don't really love it. When I need a pure incense fragrance, I put many others above this one. Still pretty nice though. Good longevity on me.

I really want to try Loewe 7 Natural, but it seems to be unavailable anywhere in the US as far as I can tell.

I tired this and sold my bottle quickly. I really really liked the idea of it but was looking forward to the apple note. I wish the apple note stood out more. However, the clove note and the olfactory fatigue issue with this caused disappointment for me. I wear my fragrances for myself and if ISo E Super can't be detected by me and others ae going to enjoy it, I really don't care about that.

In the end I felt that CdG Jaisalmer was a better version of this. Too bad of course no apple note there and even Jaisalmer is heavy on IES.

Didn't like it either when I tried it.