Code of Conduct

Default Perfume from the developing world?

Why does good perfume have to come from Europe or North America? Why can't people who live in the parts of the world where the plants used to make the essential oils are grown (typically the tropics) make perfume there and sell it to the rest of the world?
    I read on Wikipedia that vetiver is cultivated in Haiti, one of the world's poorest countries. How much do the growers there actually get for their product? God bless.

Default Re: Perfume from the developing world?

I would guess about as much as the locals in oil rich countries get, the same as the workers risking their lives to dig out diamonds and generally all sorts of goods we in the "developed" world tend to love for no apparent reason.

Unfortunately.

Dependent

Same reason that other art and entertainment forms come from the First World and into the Third, not the reverse: cultural domination. Check out Jared Diamond's Pulitzer-Prize-winning book Guns, Germs, and Steel to learn more.

I would assume most of he time they just wanna sell all the can to get all he money they can. Setting up a fragrance house to rival the others would be very costly.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I would assume most of he time they just wanna sell all the can to get all he money they can. Setting up a fragrance house to rival the others would be very costly.
    This makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbalducc View Post
    Why does good perfume have to come from Europe or North America?
    Who said the best perfume comes from Europe?
    And I doubt North America is ever mentioned when discussing where the best perfumes come from.

Why can't people who live in the parts of the world where the plants used to make the essential oils are grown (typically the tropics) make perfume there and sell it to the rest of the world?
    Who said they don't?

Do check out Ajmal, Rasasi and Abdul Samad AlQurashi. Purveyors of the best oud and oud based perfumes in the world.

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Do check out Ajmal, Rasasi and Abdul Samad AlQurashi. Purveyors of the best oud and oud based perfumes in the world.
    Those houses are Middle Eastern. Oud (agarwood) comes from Southeast Asia.

Most of these people are extremely impoverished and illiterate and dont have the means or knowledge to start making perfumes. They are much more concerned with finding enough food to eat each day.
    Of course it is much more complex that this......Start reading and watching documentaries about these subjects if you want to learn more.

Even when they do it's extremely hard to penetrate the market, and it's not just the impoverished countries.
    The perceived class/luxury based on countries of origin (even though it's moot today) curiously persists.
    So we sell what we have to our masters, we do all the work to make them a finished product, then we happily buy them from them for a much higher price.

Have you seen anyone brag about their hyundai or kia?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Those houses are Middle Eastern. Oud (agarwood) comes from Southeast Asia.
    Whats your point? I didn't get it.

Oud is from South East Asia, correct and it is created into a perfume or oil there and then sold in the Arab Gulf.

for swap/sale:

by the way ajmal is indian.

Where ever they are from, the people collecting and processing the oud are probably getting $5 per liter and by the time it gets to the consumer it is $150 per ml....

in Davao Philippines there is only 1 store selling fragrance oil... only limited oil is available.( i got only 5 kinds of fragrance oil) it's really very hard to start making scent for a beginner like me.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    by the way ajmal is indian.
    Yes thats why some of the perfume boxes we buy smell of masala.

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Whats your point? I didn't get it.

Oud is from South East Asia, correct and it is created into a perfume or oil there and then sold in the Arab Gulf.
    It is not "created into perfume" in Southeast Asia -- it is extracted there, and used in perfumes elsewhere. (The Arab Gulf, especially Saudi Arabia, is not "the developing world.")

Has anyone traveled to the parts of the world I was referring to (the tropics) and bought a scented concoction made locally?

Has anyone traveled to the parts of the world I was referring to (the tropics) and bought a scented concoction made locally?
    No way, why would you risk your life traveling to Haiti or Cambodia when you can just go to the mall?