Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Metallic Aquatics: Porsche Essence, Chrome, Liquid Plumbr, and Post-Apocalytic Fragrances.

So I (foolishly) thought $10 for Porsche Essence might be a steal.

The top gives you cut green grass, a floral, I get lily, and something calone-esque...Basically if you want to smell across between a shiny metal fender and Liquid Plumbr toiletbowl cleaner, this is your scent! That is to say, it smells like Chrome, another hideous synthetic mess. These aquatic metallic are properly vile and really have you wondering what memories these things invoke to account for their popularity: "Golly this reminds me of when the toilet used to overflow and mommy had to whip out the liquid plumber to get all that overflowing urine and feces down." Not to descend to base humor, but this trend for these synthetics that smell of industrial chemicals are truly sickening. I was worried that whatever gave me a serious allergy attack in Axe Cool Metal was in this too...Basically this genre says "forget even being reminiscent of something natural, we're going for full on carcinogenic eau de Dow Chemical Plant Runoff. Porsche Design Essence, like Chrome a nihilistic, post apocalyptic fragrance for a generation raised to believe that "style" is a substitute for "beauty" and that smelling like plastics and metal is actually a good thing.

I get the younger crowd is buying this kind of scent by the truckload because it's of the moment, but it's worrisome because this kind of fragrance is the absence of anything pleasant, sexy, endearing or happy, it's a shiny metal wasteland filled with lakes of radioactive heavywater, welcome to the Matrix indeed...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Metallic Aquatics: Porsche Essence, Chrome, Liquid Plumbr, and Post-Apocalytic Fragrances.

It's all Cool Water's fault!

Default Re: Metallic Aquatics: Porsche Essence, Chrome, Liquid Plumbr, and Post-Apocalytic Fragrances.

So i guess I shouldnt buy this at TJ Maxx?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I tried some Joop fragrance at TJ Maxx once and it smelled exactly like the air that blows out of my AC. Well, that's better than the original Joop, I guess, but still... why?

Apparently there is a market for these types of scents.

Basenotes Institution

I never understood the appeal of these metallic notes in fresh/aquatic scents either.

Chandler Burr who wrote in his 'Men Smelling Badly' article (when he was doing columns for the NYT 'T' Magazine) said this about Chrome (which he gave 0 stars):

To smell Azzaro’s Chrome is to feel metal running through your veins instead of warm blood. An industry figure once told me that Chrome “is nothing but CK One superconcentrated with a bit of synthetic marine note.” The perfumer Gérard Haury has engineered a clone warrior breathing nitrous oxide. Chrome smells like a sheet of aluminum on a frozen beach, a scent to be bought by a certain type of man for whom beauty and subtlety are Orwellian opposites. It is also a commercial smash. What does that say?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Apparently there is a market for these types of scents.
    Apparently so. I've always theorized that Chrome appeals to the side of me that feels good after I've cleaned windows or scoured the kitchen sink. Not in my wardrobe, but it tempts me occasionally, like the urge to de-grease the toolbox. So far, I've been able to resist.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 24th January 2012 at 01:07 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ...like the urge to de-grease the toolbox. So far, I've been able to resist.
    That made me giggle.

Fragrance, as a study in procrastination.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I have not yet had the misfortune to smell Porsche essence, but I know the loathsome genre - marine + sharp chemicals, be it metal or what else (Light blue anyone?). Penetrating niche as well: Tirrenico or M/Mink, with their metal + marine + swamp.

cacio

Sur la Plage

Yep, Porche the Essence is one of the worst fragrances from the past decade - and maybe of all time.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    ... this kind of fragrance is the absence of anything pleasant, sexy, endearing or happy, it's a shiny metal wasteland filled with lakes of radioactive heavywater, welcome to the Matrix indeed...
    Uups - compare Your description of that with Your potential description of current fabric softener / tooth paste / shower gel etc pp As a second helping describe the standardized aromas of hamburgers / pizza / soft drinks.

Set against the given background peoples choices could make sense! Perfume is neglecting the cacophony of functional aromas. In Europe the trend is going to balsamic fruity / food-y.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I never understood the appeal of these metallic notes in fresh/aquatic scents either.

Chandler Burr who wrote in his 'Men Smelling Badly' article (when he was doing columns for the NYT 'T' Magazine) said this about Chrome (which he gave 0 stars):
    This is the kind of review that makes we want to purchase the awesomeness that Chrome could be.

I never get tired of these breathless "civilization is ending because someone makes a fragrance I don't like" posts. TJ Maxx should install fainting couches for people who suffer from the vapors when they smell cheap, mass market fragrances.

Tappio, I object to your mischaracterization of my argument, I never suggested "civilization is ending" I suggested "the world is ending", civilized and uncivilized peoples alike. The toxic stew embodied in these odours of the damned are a sure sign that the end of the world may be nigh!

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Tappio, I object to your mischaracterization of my argument, I never suggested "civilization is ending" I suggested "the world is ending", civilized and uncivilized peoples alike. The toxic stew embodied in these odours of the damned are a sure sign that the end of the world may be nigh!
    Ha ha, fair enough mate A friend of mine gets angry, as in actually angry and offended when people like things he doesn't; I always roll my eyes at him and I think I was picturing him as I read your post!

The older version of Platinum Egoiste (yellow juice) was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    ... want to purchase the awesomeness that Chrome could be.
    It isn't that bad. Tried it just today on blotter. It is a cheap idea: greenery on top of something regular, maybe calone / Iso E super / helional / ambroxan etc The greenery I know in raw form: hex-something-acetate. If You knew how it smell raw, You would value the rendition in Chrome more. Live leaf green.

I DO like the idea to have a decidedly nondescript - which is no way a synonym to vile - perfume against a soft full bodied perfume in shower gel shampoo fabric softener toothpaste deodorant room scenting candles.