Code of Conduct

Default Why does the fragrance in shower gels go away once you rinse them off?

I purchased a 1 liter bottle of Armani Code shower gel and it smells great when you put it on but right as you wash yourself down with water the fragrance goes down the shower drain. The sales guy told me that if i used a shower gel it would be as powerful as the cologne..
    In your experience does the scent in all fragrance shower gels evaporate go away so fast?

Default Re: Why does the fragrance in shower gels go away once you rinse them off?

The sales guy lied to you. Anything that is diluted with that much water isn't going to last and shower gels aren't meant to last. They're supposed to moisturize the skin and with the added scent will provide a good base especially if you wear the same cologne. A quality shower gel will have a thicker aspect to it which will make it harder to completely wash off with water. Usually it's shower with the gel, apply the body lotion, then the cologne.
    Last edited by silentrich; 8th December 2011 at 03:41 AM.

Default Re: Why does the fragrance in shower gels go away once you rinse them off?

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger1990 View Post
    The sales guy told me that if i used a shower gel it would be as powerful as the cologne..
    I have never known this to be the case, and I have used a few over the years.

Thanks for the replys, i actually have a dove extra fresh body wash that has a stronger fragrance that lasts longer.
    It kinda smells like the armani sport..check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger1990 View Post
    I purchased a 1 liter bottle of Armani Code shower gel and it smells great when you put it on but right as you wash yourself down with water the fragrance goes down the shower drain. The sales guy told me that if i used a shower gel it would be as powerful as the cologne..
    In your experience does the scent in all fragrance shower gels evaporate go away so fast?
    I'm sorry, but the guy was lying. Think about it, the shower gels are usually quite.a bit cheaper. If they said exactly the same the would be the same price

Shower gel is soap. It's designed to solubilize a wide variety of molecules, including many of the oily or nonpolar molecules found in perfume bases. Hence the utility of washing off unpleasant fragrances with soap.

So my question is the opposite of the OP's: how is it that those soaps that DO leave a lasting scent impression are able to do so?

Black Orchid shower gel lasts for quite a while in the skin, but theyre as expensive as a regular cologne

I use Burberry Brit Gel occasionally. There might be some quality benefits for the skin but I don't know if it's really any better than a regular shower gel. The scent of Brit Gel (much to my surprise) will stay with you for a while. I think it's mainly just to have fun with and to enjoy the Brit experience beginning with your shower.

The more you pay the longer they last , can still smell a Bulgari one 6 hours later on me now . Diptyque are good too, and Hermes ! But they are mad money for something you wash away , but I love to use them !