Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default help on re entering world of fragrancs/basenotes! suggs for M & F fragrance

hello all! i was a frequent user many yrs ago and lost touch with site but recently feel reinvigorated to find my signature scent and build a collection once again. 2 questions:
    1) gift scent for gf. mid 20s. style is sophisticated and chic. looking for spring summer scent at this point. something complex, good longevity but nothing overly powerful like 80s scents.
    do not like overly sweet, spicy or flowery smells. definately no on lolita lemprika types. scents i recently purchased for her are coco madamoiselle and while i like it, it is way too common. also i think it was chloe love or chloe (new) that i smelt and did not like either. it was very orangy and sweet and way too synthetic smelling!
    i recently smelt hermes 24 faubourg and i thought that was nice if that helps as starting point.
    2) new S/S scent for myself too. age 30. modern style. like something smoky and spicy. previous scents i liked are chanel anthaeus, bois du portugal and santos concentree but recently feeling those are a bit old for me now. recently recieved gucci by gucci pour homme as gift and while i do not think the scent is great as its has terrible longevity and is a very synthetic and common scent, i do appreciate its lightness compared to others i have tried as i feel this is more contemporary. looking forward to suggestions!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: help on re entering world of fragrancs/basenotes! suggs for M & F fragrance

For yourself: Carbone de Balmain

Default Re: help on re entering world of fragrancs/basenotes! suggs for M & F fragrance

For yourself, you could check Bulgari Black (with a nice rubber note), Breath of God by Lush (avantgarde smoky vetiver), or CDG2 (incense and candles, very modern, fresher than the others).

For your girlfriend, you can try a green floral like Cristalle or Chanel no 19 (my favorite would be Paco Rabanne Metal, but it's hard to find). Kenzo Flower, instead, would be a light, just slightly sweet floral.

cacio

Sound Scents

For Her: White Sea by Micallef (which is unisex and can be worn by either of you... It is complex, not overtly sweet, spicy or flowery... it also is not aquatic) Hard to find, but samples are available from luckyscent.com, and they sell the full bottles as well... eBay is anther averue for a better deal direct from Micallef USA from time-to-time.
    For Him: Z-14 by Halston (vintage juice if you can find it). Inexpensive scent from the late 70s that still holds up well to me today and fits your parameters.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Rose Cut by Ann Gerard

Banned

for her:
    Les Saisons Hiver by Van Cleef & Arpels - a refreshing fragrance highlighted with lime and musk ...

for you:
    Derring-Do for Men by Ineke - One is initially treated to a flurry of invigorating, citrus smells. This sparkling accord has sweet and sour aspects with the zingy grapefruit at the helm. Nascent, watery notes gather strength and come to the fore in a graceful wave of petrichor, that special smell of earth, caressed by raindrops after a dry spell, releasing its pent-up energy. Some metallic smell, perhaps, the exposure of minerals from the force of the rainfall, flutters about. Staid cyclamen joins to highlight its lightly floral greenness evoking thoughts of leaves bathing in a sun shower. These accords are quite refreshing, and trickle to the awaiting middle. Here, elegant magnolia infuses the chaste, rain notes with its creamy, lemony, floral goodness with ghosts of verdure. Also, a pepper note with its lively spiciness, as well as a cardamom note with its prickly smokiness add to the delight of the heart. Transitioning to its pleasing base, sweet and airy guaiacwood along with buttery and rich, virginia cedarwood impart their delightful woodiness. And, a faintly powdery musk with its clean and fresh elements joins the satisfying woods to meander to the refreshful drydown. This bracing composition revels in the spring and summer, and has good projection and longevity.

If you like bois du portugal you may want to try royal oud. It has been compared to bois du portugal, but fresher and more modern. There is definitely a love/hate for this fragrance on the board so sample before you buy.

thank you all for the suggestions. i was at the department store today and was able to sample a few and i came away with john varvatos artisan and artisan black as one that really caught my nose. i think for a spring summer scent, i want to move away from something too vanilla sweet and something more fresh, green and natural while. i still have not had time to sample womens ones yet though but looking for something of the same veign. thinking of something one would smell in st. tropez..classy, possibly spicy but light, crisp smell. or even something of this nature but city/office appropriate - meaning doesn't feel like it was only meant for a vacation/resort wear