Code of Conduct

Thread: New combo

Default New combo

Sorry to make a whole new thread for this, but it's awesome. I am wearing Giorgio Red for Men, and Quorum sprayed over each other(Red then Quorum), and it is awesome. I find it to be a very comforting smell. Sorry just FYI anybody who has both should try it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New combo

I have both. I'm not a big fan of layering and almost never do it. However, I'm a little dissatisfied with Red. It's nice, but there's a bit of confusion in its earlier stages. Maybe Quorum - which I also find to be mediocre - can help smooth it out. I can see these two working together as neither are overly strong on their own.

The more I wear Red the more I like it. It reminds me of a mix between Drakkar Noir, and Halston Z-14 with a bunch of other stuff. The combo with Quorum is good, or at least it is to me. I think Red, and Quorum are both pretty powerful frags.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Totally agree on how Red smells - my only real quibble with it is this weird sulfurous note that hangs onto the first ten minutes of wear, which eventually thankfully disappears into a smoother drydown. It's definitely not a "weak" frag in the least, as I usually get at least seven or eight hours out of it easily. It doesn't project far off my skin, though.

Quorum is the lesser of the two in terms of concept, more of a standard '80s fougere. I like Quorum a lot but wonder why it's so evanescent on me. I'm lucky to get five hours out of this one. But I tend to wear it in the summer, so that could be the issue.

Looking forward to combining these.

Quorum sings like crazy on me no matter the temperature, but more so in the summer. I actually prefer Quorum by a lot to Red. I first bought a little 1oz bottle of Quorum, and didn't like it, but then I bought a 3.4oz bottle and fell in love with it, so maybe you have a bad bottle(the formulation before last was considered bad).
    Last edited by dwrestle; 25th January 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Just to update it has been several hours, and it's still kicking strong. This combo has developed a very sharp smell that almost reminds me of Bijan, or maybe of Z-14 after a while. Before it got to this stage it smelled very Aramis-ish with some wierd phantom peppery note, but quite nice. I am really digging this combo, but I think I still like Quorum better by itself.

The original Red is so complex I would never think to layer it. Even the original Quorum is so good (and reasonably complex) I wouldn't think to tamper with it. I can't say I'm interested in doing anything with the new versions, other than to sell or swap my bottles !

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    Quorum sings like crazy on me no matter the temperature, but more so in the summer. I actually prefer Quorum by a lot to Red. I first bought a little 1oz bottle of Quorum, and didn't like it, but then I bought a 3.4oz bottle and fell in love with it, so maybe you have a bad bottle(the formulation before last was considered bad).

Wow, I never knew that about Quorum. I bought my bottle two years ago. If there was another formulation that came after that one, I need to check it out, because the cloying synthetic grapefruit and fleeting spiciness in the mid and base really bugs me. I'll still finish this bottle, it's not that bad, but will seek out new Quorum in the future. Thanks for the heads up on that.

GRAPEFRUIT? WTF! I have never once got any kind of citrus smell from Quorum, but I'm not saying it ain't there. Bigsly is there really that big of a difference between vintage, and current Red? I am pretty sure the version I have is the newer one, because I got it at Marshalls last year. It is probably the most complex fragrance I own, and what I smell seems to line up with the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    GRAPEFRUIT? WTF! I have never once got any kind of citrus smell from Quorum, but I'm not saying it ain't there. Bigsly is there really that big of a difference between vintage, and current Red? I am pretty sure the version I have is the newer one, because I got it at Marshalls last year. It is probably the most complex fragrance I own, and what I smell seems to line up with the reviews.
    My original Quorum (from the 80s) does have a grapefruit type citrus, but it's quite natural and creates great counterpoint with the "dark" elements. The new one seems to hint at it, but I haven't worn it in a while and really don't want to any more. There is a huge difference between new and old Red. Look at the bottle with the front facing you. If the tube/straw bends to your left, it's a new one. If it bends the to right it's an original one. If you have the box, and it says Vaporisateur (on the front, underneath Eau de Toilette Spray) it's the new one. This is what I think, anyway, after doing a lot of research.