Code of Conduct

Default For those who "get" and enjoy the burnt, ashy aspect of Gris Clair, what else is similar?

Doesn't need to be lavender-- I am just craving the ash and burnt feeling-- I tried ATOH, but it seemed to be Gris Clair minus the ash. Eau Sauvage had a slightly burnt top note but it disappeared quickly IMO. Any other ideas?

CDG 2 Man has a burnt candle smell. Sonoma Scent Studios Fireside Intense is aptly named. Failing those, try Aventus batch A42B10K04

Default Re: For those who "get" and enjoy the burnt, ashy aspect of Gris Clair, what else is similar?

Try Lutens Serge Noir. You might also enjoy Amouage Memoir Man. Give both a bit of time to evolve as the ashy quality (sounds like you are looking for frankincense) isn't immediately apparent - SN kicks off a bit clovey and MM has a green absinthe quality in the opening.

Default Re: For those who "get" and enjoy the burnt, ashy aspect of Gris Clair, what else is similar?

+1 CDG2 man.
    Also, Dior Eau Noire is constructed around lavender and immortelle, which has a burnt smell, though veering towards caramel rather than dry ashes. For realistic ashtrays, there's always Jasmin et cigarettes by Etat Libre d'Orange.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Failing those, try Aventus batch A42B10K04
    Ha! I was going to suggest a bad batch of Aventus too.

Fumidus.

'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Try Lutens Serge Noir.
    Good suggestion IMO.

+1 Serge Noire
    +1 Memoir Man

Tanoke by Odin is smoky and kind of ashy. Amouage's Tribute is quite ashy - as in ashtray ashy, but it never smells gross. I also get some ashiness in Yellow Sea by Micallef - a light ashy animalic oriental.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I know where some of the suggestions are coming from but Ive never really experienced another fragrance with that replicates that aspect of GC.

Not the same sun-baked-rock-ashy accord as Gris Clair, but i do get some dried ashy feelin' from French Lover and The Spirits of Wood from Six Scents. Kinda green version perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I know where some of the suggestions are coming from.
    I don┤t .
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

It could be the easiest answer: La Myrrhe
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Ha! I was going to suggest a bad batch of Aventus too.
    Unfortunately even the good batches don't compare to Gris Clair and it's incredible clean smokiness IMO.

I've also been entranced with it's ashy lavender accord, and am probably going to need to pick it up rather soon, before I get withdrawals. I'm on the fence between it and Daim Blond. Or both....
    Last edited by Partario; 27th January 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Banned

Lonestar Memories by Tauer has a similar campfire smokiness in its opening ...

Anat Fritz has lavender as a top note and then it transforms into a campfire smell in a forest after rain (if that makes sense)... I am not a huge fan of woods and smoky notes but really like this one. It's not feminine at all of this is what you get from the bottle design.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    +1 Serge Noire
    +1 Memoir Man

Tanoke by Odin is smoky and kind of ashy. Amouage's Tribute is quite ashy - as in ashtray ashy, but it never smells gross. I also get some ashiness in Yellow Sea by Micallef - a light ashy animalic oriental.
    +1 on Memoir, Tribute and Serge Noire, and I would add Tea For Two.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I know where some of the suggestions are coming from but Ive never really experienced another fragrance with that replicates that aspect of GC.
    Same here
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Parfumerie Generale Cuir Venenum --> reminds me of times past and the warmth provided on a cold winter's night in a drafty bedroom by a drunken lover who chainsmoked camels. Sexy.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

These are both warmer than Gris Clair (which I have to buy one of these days) but do have that ashy thing going:

- Encens et Lavande, also from Serge. Pretty much straight up incense and lavender. Linear and very wearable.

- Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal. Pure campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post

- Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal. Pure campfire.
    true!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit