Code of Conduct

Default Amouage for Beginners

Hello! I'm interested in possibly taking the plunge into Amouage fragrances. I've never smelled any of the line, but I've researched them online and I'm curious as to what you would suggest to be a good entry-level Amouage frag. I've heard a lot of hype about Reflection Man. FYI- I am a 21 year old male and I'd prefer not to get anything that is cloying. But, I'd be interested in a signature scent that has projection, yet not offensive. I own Creed's Aventus and GIT. I really like Aventus and would like to get something that is fresh up top, but maybe some woods, leather, and/or tobacco somewhere in there. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: Amouage for Beginners

Well Jubilation XXV seems to be a favorite here.

Amouge do a sample set of their mens range which you could try before you take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Amouge do a sample set of their mens range which you could try before you take the plunge.
    I totally forgot they did, here is a link to a set you could try if you like. I believe six scents come in the box.

http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/Samp...amouage13m.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I agree. I'm a noob to Amouage as well. Just sampled Amouage Lyric (Man) and my 1st reaction is it's frigging great.

Reflection Man for sure

Definitely Lyric man or Jubilation XXV. Both are FBW IMO.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I kept sampling and sampling and finding nothing that appealed to me. Their house base is very perfumey--high quality, mind you--but big-sillage floral perfumey in a way that is pretty old school. And not very appealing to me.

I would start with Epic and Jubilation XXV. They are the only two in the line that worked for me. In fact, I bought a bottle of Jubilation XXV, and I must say: there is something very literal about it. It makes me really happy.

The rest, not so much.

PS - If you buy one Amouage from LuckyScent, you can enter the promo code Amouage2011 and get samples of the entire men's line for free.

Basenotes Plus

I'm a little crazy and have owned quite a few. However the three I have kept are Jubliation XXV, Lyric man and Epic man. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rock View Post
    I'm a little crazy and have owned quite a few. However the three I have kept are Jubliation XXV, Lyric man and Epic man. I love them.
    Thats good to know, should be getting my samples soon

Well you won't find any Amouage fragrance that is fresh like Aventus, fresh is not a word that describes Amouage frags. For a beginner I think Reflection is a good place to start, imo it's Amouage's lightest frag.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Well you won't find any Amouage fragrance that is fresh like Aventus, fresh is not a word that describes Amouage frags. For a beginner I think Reflection is a good place to start, imo it's Amouage's lightest frag.
    But Amouage doesn't have the batch variations that Creed is having.

Sample Amouage Hommage... The most beautiful fragrance in the world...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Test Amouage for sure. It takes a little getting used to. My favorites are Reflection Man, Dia Man, Jubilation XXV Man, Memoir Man and they are all very unique. Ive yet to get to Homeage or Lyric which are supposed to be stellar.

Reflection Man is your friend.

My favorite is Gold man; it is, however, an enormous incensy floral, representative of the original opulent style of the house. So it doesn't quite describe what you're looking for.

Dia is very dark woody, so you could start there. And, as others were saying, Jubilation XXV is a bright, luminous and powerful frankincense.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    There are Arcus and Cirrus, which are both fresh type frags. I don't think they're in production now but bottles are still available. I agree with most that these are the least of the Amouage frags, and very different than the rest of their line, but if you want fresh, these are the way to go.

I own both. I've always had a soft spot for Arcus, which to me is much better than Cirrus. I wouldn't generally recommend either over other Amouage frags, but if they offer what you are looking for, go for them. I think they are way overpriced for what they are, though.

Blog Entries

Silver Cologne is a decent fresh scent from Amouage that you might like.

Reflection Man is alright but nothing special. I find that lavender in it ends up smelling like a corn tortilla on my skin.

I'd check out Jubilation XXV and Memoir Man first. As long as you're gentle on the application, they won't be cloying.

Lyric Man is extremely rosy, so if you don't like roses (it leans on the "feminine" side of the spectrum for me, which isn't a bad thing, but something worth noting), then don't expect much else.

Also, their feminines have unisex qualities. Epic Woman and Jubilation 25 for women both work great as masculines.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

My first amouage was Reflection

get the discovery set

Dia, Reflection, and Ciel.

+1 for testing. Given the price of a bottle, it just makes sense. ParfumsRaffy.com has all the testers for $6 each for 2ml, which is pretty comparable on a per-ml basis to the full bottles.

Of the ones I've tried (Epic Man, Lyric Man, Homage Attar, Tribute Attar, Memoir Man, Honor Man, Opus IV, Dia Man), Dia Man, Tribute, and Opus IV seem like the standouts. Dia and Opus IV are both relatively inoffensive, but I suspect that Dia Man might seem a bit "old" to your cohort. Opus IV is based on culinary spices, mainly coriander, and it's great. But not "fresh" in the contemporary sense.

Tribute is certainly not cloying, but it has some presence. It has some of the leathery/tobaccoey notes you may be looking for, but again, it's not really "fresh".

For me 3 "loves" out of 8 samples is an extraordinarily high hit rate. I definitely think the house is worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    get the discovery set
    Nah, it's cheaper to get the samples separately at Parfums Raffy, and then you can pick what you want. I'd definitely recommend sampling the following though:

Memoir Man
    Jubilation XXV
    Lyric Man
    Epic Man
    Honour Man
    Ciel Man
    Reflection Man

That'll give you a wide variety of what the house has to offer.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

As advised, test the line first. I found Ciel, Silver and Dia had a similar vibe and not really to my tastes. Lyric Man is very rich and beautifull but too feminine for me, great if you can pull it off. Honour and Memoir, again not to my taste.

I finished up buying 100ml bottles of:

Jubilation XXV: Fantastic high quality smoky incense but unfortunately doesn't have great longetivity on me.

Epic Man: Spicy, rich and masculine, reminds me of Christian Dior Jules. Love it.

Reflection Man: BIG complement getter from the ladies. Perhaps the best Bar/clubbing scent in existence. This one is my holy grail lol.