Code of Conduct

Default Amouage: Reflection Man

Where to start with this one. Hopefully SoS or someone can help me make sense of this. I haven't done a skin test yet, I've only smelled it from the sample vial. I am so surprised. I didn't know how sweet this is. There are some familiarities with this one. Here are some fragrances that come to mind:

Joop, Le Male, Original Santal, Prada Amber PH

It smells like some sort of hybrid of these but, done much better. I have traditionally avoided such sweet scents but I will have to skin test this one. Any thoughts that I should keep in mind?

I'm getting a cotton candy vibe. Anyone else?
    Last edited by Scentologist; 3rd January 2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Amouage: Reflection Man

well, I have a particular theory about reflection . I see it a sort of debtor of Egoiste school .I detect some of that conjuntion of smoky , spices and flowery.
    the ensemble in egoiste is smoothing by rose and in reflection by jasmine.
    they represent two ways to make romantic and flowery a sandalwood masculin.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

^^ Yes, I can see some connections to Egoiste as well. I'm glad you pointed that out.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I see Reflection Man, Le Male, and Amber PH as three good brothers. But, one of them became noticeably wealthier. I think I'd come to exactly the same conclusion if I'd never seen a price tag and would consider a move to Reflection a definite move up. Le Male was a favorite of mine through much of my early working years so Reflection is a simple move. It's much like moving from NAD with Rega to Naim with ProAc loudspeakers in the audio world or from a Ford Focus to a Mercedes C350 Sport. One is good audio, the other excellent audio, another is a good little car, the other an excellent little car. Le Male/Amber PH are very good fragrances in my opinion, Reflection excellent.

I am sampling it right now. Good but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I am sampling it right now. Good but not great.
    And I thought u had a good nose!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    And I thought u had a good nose!
    Not as good as yours apparently.

Dependent

You are right. I mentioned this in another thread. I disliked Original Santal (though I have a bottle, bought blind), and when I tried Reflection Man, I was like oh man this sweet juniper berry/over ripe berry-esque sweetness is Amouage's answer to Original Santal. I was turned off. Weirdly going through my healthy sized decant of Reflection, I had the weirdest 180. I fell in love with Reflection Man. Couple of weeks ago, I REMEMBERED the association I drew earlier with OS and Reflection, decided to give my still pretty full bottle of OS a run. LOVE IT. Funny how olfactory preference works!!!

Good smelling scent that seems to get lots of compliments from others.

What's the sweet note that overpowers everything? Smells like vanilla but there is no vanilla in the notes. Anyway, if they toned that down this would smell a LOT better. When it goes for a moment, I can smell the florals better which are rather nice, then that sweet note bludgeons everything over the head. It's a common note too, must be vanilla like you get in lots of designer fragrances? It kinda ruins the fragrance for me a bit but i've got a lot of sample left to retry.

Badr, I think the sweet note you are picking up is primarily the orris root. Real orris root can be very sweet, and have a berry like (raspberry, usually) overtone to it. Of course, the ylang ylang in the heart is quite sweet, too, as is jasmine, and patchouli can be rather sweet too. Needless to say, a lot of sweet elements are present here.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

I've only worn it once, but it was very impressive. Struck me as a modern Kouros. There's a bit of musk that I get, and a clean/dirty vibe, and a spiciness that all adds up to a light, masculine, and very distinctive scent which makes me think new Kouros. Not sure if it's the Amouage for me, but it's a strong contender so far.

Interesting that you get Kouros from it. I do get the clean/dirty vibe though, although the dirtier elements don't manifest for me until the mid to latter stages of the dry down. There, the patchouli makes itself quite known as does the cedar/sandalwood accord and vetiver, and the juxtaposition of that dirty and bitterness against the sweeter, bright florals is brilliant and probably my favorite phase of the perfume.

I just found my old sample of Kouros. I don't think I ever gave it a full and proper wearing, shame on me. That is going to remedied.. soon!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    well, I have a particular theory about reflection . I see it a sort of debtor of Egoiste school .I detect some of that conjuntion of smoky , spices and flowery.
    Totally agree...spot on!

Don't care for this one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    I have reflection man and totally agree with that insight concerning egoiste!..U hit the nail on the head.I totally detect that scent (egoiste) in the working of reflection...PLus! constanstly likening it to other scents detracts from literally how wonderful this scent is.Yet if i had to compare then id say egoiste chanel

The "problem" with this one is that some false snobbish criticize it without even knowing it. In any case, their prejudice, betray them. they think: only if I own this fragance I can affirm that is good and long-lived, the rest is poor and generic ....haha. They maybe think that people are stupid or have no sound judgment.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Wearing this today. All I can say is that it's a beast. I used 2 sprays (which are not much compared to how much the Creeds shoot out) and 7 hours later I can still smell it strong. Almost pointless buying the 100ml unless you plan to use it every day.

Indeed, Mr G. It's certainly a powerhouse. Bloody fantastic on a night out and attracts the laydees

Great scent, hardly synthetic smelling...you can tell this is made of quality .

Yeah I'm glad I didn't make the mistake of thinking that I needed to apply more because the squirts were small. I think I had read somewhere that 2 was enough. Couldn't agree more.