Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Who is the best perfumer?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jacques Polge

7 11.48%
  • Maurice Roucel

7 11.48%
  • Ernest Beaux

6 9.84%
  • Calice Becker

0 0%
  • Jacques Guerlain

17 27.87%
  • Jean-Paul Guerlain

2 3.28%
  • Francis Kurkdjian

2 3.28%
  • Henri Robert

0 0%
  • Christopher Sheldrake

3 4.92%
  • Other (List the perfumer below)

17 27.87%

Default Who is the best perfumer of all-time? Vote for the best perfumer...

Who is the best perfumer of all time from this list?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Who is the best perfumer of all-time? Vote for the best perfumer...

I'd add JC Ellena and Roja Dove. I haven't voted yet but I'd pick Roja Dove simply because he made Puredistance M. Otherwise probably Calice Becker for her work on the By Kilian line.

I simply can't choose.

I hope this doesn't come off condescending, but it's childish.

That said Edmond Roudnitska is the best perfumer of all time :P

i voted guerlain, but i think it really should be coty.

Can't choose one as there are so many excellent ones IMO.

I know Chanel's frags are kind of safe and boring, but they have had the same designer for all 8 frags, and he did a very very nice job - going from Anateus overPlatinum Egoiste, Egoiste and to Allure Homme, and Edition Blanche, so he's my choice
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Pierre-Franois-Pascal Guerlain. The oldest innovator in the 1820s. He created a real perfume house with a REAL pedigree, no fanciful tales about aristocratic perfumers.

That being said, I would go with Ernest Daltroff of Caron.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Whoever concocted my sacred Havana. Anyone know who that person is?
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Jacques Guerlain, with no hesitation. I'm happy to see the voting agrees.

He composed L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar, Aprs l'Onde, Mouchoir de Monsieur, and Vol de Nuit. Who else will ever make so many perfumes that are still seen as masterpieces after 100 years? No one else has and no one ever will again.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Jacques Guerlain, with no hesitation. I'm happy to see the voting agrees.

He composed L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar, Aprs l'Onde, Mouchoir de Monsieur, and Vol de Nuit. Who else will ever make so many perfumes that are still seen as masterpieces after 100 years? No one else has and no one ever will again.
    You forgot to mention Djedi, Sous le Vent and a few others

Chose "Other" : Nicolas Mamounas (the creator of my current favourite Macassar by Rochas)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Basenotes Plus

Classics galore - Jacques Guerlain !.

Francois Coty and Vincent Roubert

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Yes Ernest Daltroff should be included.

I voted for Jacques Guerlain the man was GOD!
    DONNA

Why was the post moved? I feel that this is a post/poll that would be educational... Oh well...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Basenotes Plus

Jacques Guerlain, no question.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I voted for other, namely: Roger Pellegrino

queen of the universe

Claude Frayesse (Weil) and Sophia Grojsman (too many to mention) come to mind.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    You forgot to mention Djedi, Sous le Vent and a few others
    Only because I haven't had the opportunity to smell them yet! I hope to one day, but even based on the ones I know, JG is clearly the Yoda of perfumers.

From the list Jacques Guerlain. Write in: Desmond Knox-Leet
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st January 2012 at 04:11 AM.

Basing it just off my pigeonholed taste in modern/contemporary masculine and unisex frags, I'd say my pick for my own personal favorite of all time is ............... Pierre Bourdon.

Or I could just be a dick and say Henry Creed.

Jacques Guerlain (I call him "St.Jacques")
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Hillaire

You forgot ALL of the best perfumers of 'all time': JC Ellena, Bernard Chant, Guy Robert, Patricia di Nicolai, E. Roudnitska, Dominique Ropion, and Germaine Cellier.

Please smell some of these perfumers' works; they are inspiring.

i love Maurice Roucel's perfumes, but i had to vote for Jacques Guerlain. Shalimar to me is Perfection

J-C Ellena not even in the list? This is not on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I'd add JC Ellena and Roja Dove. I haven't voted yet but I'd pick Roja Dove simply because he made Puredistance M. Otherwise probably Calice Becker for her work on the By Kilian line.
    The fragrances are issued under his name, but they are made by anonymous perfumers. Roja Dove is not an actual perfumer.

________

For a variety of reasons:

Francois Coty
    Edmond Roudnitska
    Jean Carles
    Last edited by pluran; 1st February 2012 at 04:20 PM.

It is simply impossible for me to pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    You forgot ALL of the best perfumers of 'all time':...Bernard Chant...
    Bernie is so underrated!

Do you know Coty ? He created the base of those fragrance just before him...

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Do you know Coty ? He created the base of those fragrance just before him...

Of course - I know of Coty, and have read that he is the greatest perfumer of all time. However, almost none of his compositions have survived in a recognizable form to the present. The only one I know of is Knize Ten, a collaboration with Vincent Roubert, from what I have read. This is a classic, without a doubt, and its in my collection.

However, I can't judge his entire ouevre simply because it is no longer available - I assume the $15 versions available at the corner pharmacy bear no resemblance to the originals. I would love to be able to smell his perfumes, but since they seem to be lost to time, I name the best perfumer whose works are available today in more-or-less recognizable form.

Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Guerlain
    Which one? Jacques or JP?

Dependent

Roucel? Kurkdjian? Guerlain?

This question is invalid.
    "The most beautiful sea hasnt been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasnt grown up yet. The most beautiful days we havent seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I havent said yet"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

I cant say of all time but Dominique Ropion and Calice Becker are a couple of favourites

Other: Olivia Giacobetti

Other: Edmond Roudnitska.

The fragrances are issued under his name, but they are made by anonymous perfumers. Roja Dove is not an actual perfumer.
    Interesting. I often wondered if he was the actual "nose" or just the name, money, and prestige... but nothing seemed to confirm the statement. So when fragrances are released under the Puredistance name, is this is an example of a Brand, hiring a "scout," who in tern hires anonymous noses? Weird.

Is this also true of Grald Ghislain of Histoires de Parfums? I would certainly give him props as a modern creator, but is he the nose or the "art director"/ entrepreneur of the house? (A Luca Turin review of 1804 states that "most HdP fragrances are composed by Sylvie Jourdet, professor of olfaction and perfumery accords at the ISIPCA in Versailles, and the vice president of the French Society of Perfumers.")

It all seems more difficult in the modern era, as if perfumery has taken the reverse route of the history of essential film collaborators (editors were nameless faces in the creation of meaning for half of the last century, but today are considered the right-hand man/woman of any director in creating a film.)
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII Puredistance M, Black Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange Knize Ten Golden L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! TF Noir de Noir Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin Nicoli NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial Chanel Sycomore Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete MFK Oud Cashmere Mood Ormonde Jayne Man

how could one forget Pierre Bourdon

Michel Almairac and Jean-Paul Millet