Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Are Creeds worth it?

I presume a large demographic of this website consists of mid-career men. $200-250 is a steep price to pay for a 3.4 oz of cologne.

I have not tried them myself, but is it really four to five times better than the best lower priced colognes.

---

EDIT (4/2/13):

I'm revisiting some of my older posts and since then I've tried a lot of Creeds and they are my favorite house. I wouldn't pay $250 or $300 for a Creed, or anything really, but grey market prices of $140 for a 4 oz or flacon splits, you can't go wrong.

There's good stuff in all price ranges, but Creed is definitely worth it if you're willing to spend a bit more.
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 2nd April 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Are Creeds worth it?

As with most other houses - some are very good, some are just OK, and some are just bad.

The ones I have liked, I have bought at discounted prices or via splits.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If we all had the same exact income and the same exact taste in fragrances we could give you a unified answer.

As it is, people have widely different views regarding Creed. Only you can make a decision about the worth of a fragrance.

I agree with Petruccijc above in his evaluation (though we probably differ about which are good, OK, and bad...) and in his purchasing methods.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

u have to try yourself and answer dat question. if you are into frags like me then its a big ticket but i have purchased a few.to me its worth it .creed is among the elite class of scents i feel.
    come 2 the edge he said,they said we scared,come 2 the edge he said, they came,he pushed them and they flew.

If you like them and, beyond the often doubtful/sketchy company history and brand image, you find Creed scents you like, why not

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    As with most other houses - some are very good, some are just OK, and some are just bad.

Same. Though for my tastes I've found more in the latter two categories than the former.

As for designer fragrances at better prices, Creed has been ripped of numerous times with mixed success (though the opinions on this are rather varied as well). If you're into one of their scents with a bit more mass appeal, it's probably available as a designer knock off somewhere that smells similar-ish enough. Your own nose will have to tell you which is the worthy buy.

Not really, just stick to decants. They have terrible longevity

Dependent

Creed falls all across the spectrum, but I find only a handful to truly be bottle worthy.
    "The most beautiful sea hasn’t been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasn’t grown up yet. The most beautiful days we haven’t seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I haven’t said yet…"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

Certainly not: Creed is poor mediocrity for scandalous prizes. Forget this fake brand; it is for tasteless snobs!

...Bruno Banani for the nouveau riche...!

No!

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I presume a large demographic of this website consists of mid-career men. $200-250 is a steep price to pay for a 3.4 oz of cologne.

I have not tried them myself, but is it really four to five times better than the best lower priced colognes.
    nope! you can get much better stuff for significantly less money.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Certainly not: Creed is poor mediocrity for scandalous prizes. Forget this fake brand; it is for tasteless snobs!
    I own many different fragrances ranging from expensive niche to bargain basement cheapies. No snobbery here - I buy something because I like it, regardless of cost or status.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It depends on how one defines the worth of a fragrance. The relative worth compared to other fragrances? They are pricey. The cost per use? Most of them, including most fragrances, really are affordable luxuries when thought of that way.

What matters most is if you like any fragrance enough for the price point.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Some of them worth the discounter prices that i have paid, like 4.2oz GIT for 110usd that ive paid

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    What matters most is if you like any fragrance enough for the price point.
    This

I'm sure some are nice. Personally I don't want to pay so much for one fragrance. Also the image and the hype they seem to get puts me off a little (same with Mugler). If you make your items so expensive, hard to find, etc, you can keep them.

That said, I will have to try GIT.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

To me, Creeds are worth their price.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

all said and done, go and smell them, let your nose be your guide. if you love it, buy it.

Some definitely are, yes. Like others have said, try and get em at discounted prices online.

And don't worry about longevity either - some Creeds have awesome longevity, and some don't. Just like any other house ever.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    Creed falls all across the spectrum, but I find only a handful to truly be bottle worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Some of them worth the discounter prices that i have paid, like 4.2oz GIT for 110usd that ive paid
    I wonder which ones you all find are worth owning to YOU ?

I personally own GIT and Santal - planing on getting SMW, Aventus and maybe MI in the future........
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Banned

in my opinion, absolutely.

Well, a high price tag usually ensures that not every Tom, Dick or Harry will be wearing it. So that has to be a good thing.

As far as Creeds go, i'd say on the whole they're worth it. Aventus, Vetiver '48, BDP, GIT, Spice and Woods etc are simply amazing.

On the other hand,you get the odd naff one...Original Santal springs to mind.

I would never pay retail price for a bottle of Creed. Not even Aventus, which I find to be one of the best smelling colognes I've ever smelled. No cologne is worth $300 a bottle when they can be had for $150 or less discounted. I own 5 creeds, 4 of which are 4 oz bottles I bought discounted, and the 5th being a 50 ml split. I like them all but I'd never pay full price. So to answer your question: No they are not worth full price. Longevity is not good enough (with the exception of Aventus which lasts a looong time). The batch inconsistencies are bull shyte.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Plus

I think Creeds are across the board on quality. As much as I have been frustrated by this house I will probably always own GIT. Where price is concerned I think most niche is getting a little out of hand. With Creed at least there are a few discounters that usually have good stock.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

A fragrance can not be five times better than any other. Except You name a scale to measure the seize of each.

Name the scale!

Then, Creed addresses exactly that audience, namely mid-career men and wannabee men and mid-career wannabees - just kidding. Creeds are worth the price as long as there are people to pay that. It depends less on disposable income than on a specific mindset, whether or not somebody will finally pay something for a fragrance. regarding Creed many go for discount prizes and spend ages on discussing sources and - take care! - relating batchnumbers.

I don't think I want to smell as such a Joe, Hugo, Bill or Pierre.

Technically I think Creed follows more of a crowd pleasing agenda. Their offerings are so & so to say the best. Of course the fragrances have a certain exclusive smell, say the prominent pineapple in Aventus. But is that beautiful or is it kitsch? I vote for kitsch and that is my personal verdict on the whole line. Consequently I would literally pay nothing for Creed, hence they are vastly overrated.

Remember, even if a fragrances uses precious naturals all over it would never ever justify retail prices over 50$ per 50ml! Even if it were real sandalwood, orris or ambergris! Prices are on one side calculations to cover advertizing and to compensate for the many misses. On the other side the players in this market just grep what they can get.

If you truly like something, you can find a deal. A lot of people with higher purchasing power don't always simply "splash out" money for anything. They gain their wealth through a careful study of prices and finding deals on stuff they like.

As for Creed, there is no doubt about the fact that they do use good ingredients. The point is whether a specific scent sits well on you or not. If you like something that much, check out what deals/sales/splits there are on this site.

Good luck

My favs if you want to know are
    Aventus
    MI

Banned
    Blog Entries

Given how many on here are buying old and counterfeit stock at a discount (and actually thinking they're sniffing Creed), I would say it's not worth purchasing Creed anywhere other than an authorized retailer.

That said, I think it's worth owning one or two Creeds at a time. It's not worth owning a bunch of them at the same time. They're good, but not that good.

This question could be asked of many niche brands. Amouage, Lutens, etc. I figured Lutens was worth the money before I tried any of them. Then I tried Bois de Violette and couldn't imagine who would spend $150 for a bottle of it.

Then I remembered - one man's junk is another man's treasure.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    Well, a high price tag usually ensures that not every Tom, Dick or Harry will be wearing it. So that has to be a good thing.

[...].
    No offense for those who actually like the scents, but I've noticed that, where I live (and worldwide, I suppose), Creed is exactly what every misinformed Tom, Dick or Harry immediately buys when they get some wealth. Especially GIT, a nouveau riche's object of desire.

I have very little contact with really wealthy people, but I can assure that the few ones I got acquainted with don't give a damn about perfume. One of them actually likes to practice reverse snobbery and insists he only wears a very popular cheap deodorant. But if wearing Creed makes you feel like you are "above the crowd", and you enjoy the feeling, go for it, I wouldn't blame you.

However, I believe in the word of more experienced basenoters in the sense that there are bottleworthy Creed fragrances (would like to try Vintage Tabarome, Orange Spice and Acier Aluminum). But the ones I sampled until now, including GIT, were just ostentational and boring to my tastes, so right now, based on my one experience alone. I answer 'no' to the OP.

Millesime Imperial is worth it if you can get a bottle from a decent batch.