Code of Conduct

Default Halston 1-12 or Z-14?

Hi Basenoters! I have a new question today. I've read reviews of these 2 scents but could not decide to choose one. As I have so far made several successful blind buys, I'd like to make a new one, which will includes Zino. I am curious how Santos smells like, but that curiosity will remain since I can't find it here, as well as Halston products. I'd buy them on the internet.

My question is, which of these smells more modern and is safer to purchase blindly? And, do they last long on you?

Thanks in advance guys!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Default Re: Halston 1-12 or Z-14?

I like both, but Z-14 is definitely the safer blind buy in my opinion, especially if you live in a warm climate.

I didn't buy MPG's Garrigue when I had the chance to buy it cheap, because it seemed pretty similar in style to Z-14.

The again, who wants safe? Give I-12 a go - they're both usually going pretty cheap.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I like both, but Z-14 is definitely the safer blind buy in my opinion, especially if you live in a warm climate.

I didn't buy MPG's Garrigue when I had the chance to buy it cheap, because it seemed pretty similar in style to Z-14.

The again, who wants safe? Give I-12 a go - they're both usually going pretty cheap.
    Renato
    Thanks Renato! I will think about it. They both sound intriguing to me.

By the way, I mentioned SANTOS because it was mentioned in the reviews of Z-14 that they share similarities.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Santos is a great 80s style fragrance! Very rich and loudy, woody and piney (as Polo Green, but not so woody - much complex though)
    If I could find it cheap, I'd buy it instantly.

Santos is head and shoulders above the Halstons. It has good longevity and the drydown reminds me a bit of Opium for women. Z14 is too much for me - a bit sticky, a bit cloying, no finesse there. 1 - 12 is dry and very woody with little sillage. It's got more style than Z14 but far less than Santos. Santos is better than both Halstons put together imo.

Basenotes Institution

1-12

From a female perspective, I'd say Z-14. Yummy!

Thanks to every comment. I need a few more before I decide to choose one. So please....vote for 1 of them :-)
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I vote for Halston 1-12.

It is less well known and I like it a little better than its big brother.

The only drawback, for me, is that it is a green chypre and I don't like to wear it in warm weather.

Z-14 is more of a classical chypre that I can use any time of the year.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

1-12. Both are now available as EDCs rather than EDTs, and 1-12 survived the change much better than Z-14, which is a pale imitation of its former self.

I like them both and put off answering your thread, KaitBkk, because I don't want to make up my mind. But if I have to, and it's only smells were talking about anyway, I'd vote you get Z-14. I think it is the extrovert of the two. 1-12 is an introvert of a scent.

Both are fantastic, 1-12 being the more subtle of the two by a large margin. If you're like me you'd love wearing it but curse it almost every time it's on because you can't get enough. Doesn't command an aura powerfully enough, and doesn't seem to last as long as it should. Still, it's beautiful.

I respect Levente and his wisdom like you guys don't know, and he and I know how much we share tastes, but I am not convinced of his information about the edc/edt qualities of the two scents. I know packaging for both indicates that they call themselves "cologne," and although I don't know for sure, that could be just to sell to the American market that believes "cologne" is for men. I've looked extensively at the bottles and packaging and there is no "eau de cologne" listing anywhere. There isn't eau de toilette anymore though either, so by the same logic I guess there's no reason to believe they're edt simply labeled "cologne." (I'm lucky that I still have a bottle of Z-14 marked edt.)

I now owe Levente an agreement on the next thing he wishes. Levente, when you next need any judgment affirmed, I'll be there right away to make up for this post's affront.
    Best,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Oh, the moderator replied my thread, I am feeling good, lol.

Thanks for more comments received today. I will choose one soon and will let you know how I think about it.

By the way, to DustB, if I find scents that are not listed on this web site, who should I contact to get them in the directory? I want to help make this site bigger and bigger :-)
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

I respect Levente and his wisdom like you guys don't know, and he and I know how much we share tastes, but I am not convinced of his information about the edc/edt qualities of the two scents. I know packaging for both indicates that they call themselves "cologne," and although I don't know for sure, that could be just to sell to the American market that believes "cologne" is for men. I've looked extensively at the bottles and packaging and there is no "eau de cologne" listing anywhere. There isn't eau de toilette anymore though either, so by the same logic I guess there's no reason to believe they're edt simply labeled "cologne." (I'm lucky that I still have a bottle of Z-14 marked edt.)

I now owe Levente an agreement on the next thing he wishes. Levente, when you next need any judgment affirmed, I'll be there right away to make up for this post's affront.
    Best,
    --Chris

Aw, Chris, no affront at all. Disagree away. Heck, I like Z-14, too, but I'm sticking to my guns (bad foreshadowing) because Z-14 to me doesn't smell like it used to. Both of these modern classics came out when I was in high school, but I became more acquainted with Z-14 in college, and 1-12 much later, as I'll explain. At my first job after graduate school, a colleague of mine who started in our group the same time I did wore Z-14 as a signature scent, every day of the year, and quite well, I might add. I stopped wearing it during the six years that we worked together, and started wearing 1-12, among others. A great scent for the hot weather Southwest, and perfect for that buttoned down work atmosphere, where we wore suits daily. By the time my colleague left our group I had moved on from Z-14 to other scents.

Fast forward many years: my buddy was murdered in a shooting spree, leaving behind a wife and three kids. In the intervening years, I had considered wearing Z-14 again but never did, and after my friend's passing, the scent just had too many powerful memories for me. But as time passed, it struck me that wearing Z-14 again would be a small tribute to my fallen friend, so I recently picked up a bottle of the cologne spray, and replaced my bottle of 1-12 as well (gotta love Marshall's). The 1-12 smelled very similar, though it didn't seem to last as long as before, even in the more moderate climate I now live in. The Z-14 was similar in the top and heart notes, but thinned at the basenotes. Where I want it chunky, it is now lean. Where I expected it gooey, it is now transparent. And it, too, doesn't last as long as I recall. I attributed this to a change from EDT to the "cologne" version, in both scents. And as I said, to my nose, the only thing the new 1-12 fell short vis-a-vis the old was longevity, while the Z-14 was lacking in other ways. That is why I said that I thought that the 1-12 survived the switch better. Now, you have a bottle of the Z-14 in an EDT bottle, and I'm guessing that it smells the same to you as the current cologne. Don't know what to say about that, other than the change that I'm perceiving from the scent many years ago may have happened in the intervening years prior to the labelling change.

Having said that, I can't come to the same conclusion regarding Halston's change in labelling, for the simple reason that Halston continues to use the eau de toilette label for its more recent scents. I have a bottle of Catalyst for Men in front of me as I type, and on the bottom the scent is labelled "eau de toilette", and the box on Unbound for Men that I saw earlier in the week had an EDT label as well. I'll bet Halston's target market for Z-14 and 1-12 is middle age guys like me, while the newer ones (especially Unbound) almost certainly trend younger. Given that the Z-14/1-12 target market has been buying these scents for years anyway without regards to the label, why would they change it? It would make more sense to me if they kept the Z-14 and 1-12 as EDTs and marketed the newer ones to the young fellas as "cologne".

KiatBkk, this discussion is in no way intended to dissuade you from wearing Z-14. Chris is quite correct that it is the extrovert of the two, and a fine fragrance, even if it is not, IMO, what it once was.

Thrax

I own both and I suggest without hesitation, Z-14.

1-12 smells closer to the male counter part of his original Halston for women. I feel that the scent was too daring for the macho men's market of the 70's that way Z-14 was also launched. Funny Z-14 became the popular one and 1-12 was the red headed step child.

Thanks to the new comments. I think I'll get Z-14.

levente, no, this won't dissuade me from getting Z-14 as I'd love to try new things and as the weather here is warm, I don't really need a dense base note :-)

Thrax, your rating for 1-12 lets me know how much you dislike it, lol.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Thanks to the new comments. I think I'll get Z-14.

levente, no, this won't dissuade me from getting Z-14 as I'd love to try new things and as the weather here is warm, I don't really need a dense base note :-)

Thrax, your rating for 1-12 lets me know how much you dislike it, lol.
    I just find that 1-12 has no character to it at all. Nothing sticks out about it at all to me. It's just bland. Z-14 has attitude, longevity, and sillage. What more could someone ask for?

Thank you, Levente, for the fantastic post. I think you must be right that something has been changed in the makeup of the scents. I wore them in high school too you (brother!) and I've found that I just can't ever be sure that they're the same or different today from them. I've wondered if it hasn't been my expanded nose that has made me think the stuff isn't as striking as it used to be, but I like your logic about the "cologne spray" label and trust your nose's conclusions about the end products too.

Thanks very much for the larger story behind the scents for you too. I know I thought about that story as I wondered what I would wear today. I picked 1-12.

Thanks, Levente. It's always a pleasure having conversations like this one on the forum with you.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I pick the Z-14 and I wouldnt pay more than $10US to get a bottle. It's everywhere in Marshall's/TJMaxx and drugstores (especially around Xmas).

I think Santos is similar, but not that similar. Santos is darker, richer, smoother. z-14 is very rough around the edges.
    Last edited by marcuccio88; 9th December 2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words. I've often wondered whether greater exposure to high quality scents has jaded my nose, but I do believe some of the stuff I started out with hasn't changed much. Quorum and YSL PH, for example, seem the same, and Azzaro PH, Sung Homme (not quite as old), Kouros, Eau Sauvage and a couple of others are still very close as well. Paco Rabanne PH still has the same potency and longevity, and in many ways smells close to its former self, but certain of the (probably more expensive) ingredients smell cheaper, which really grinds me, because I'd gladly spend a couple extra bucks for the old quality.

Very gracious of you to wear !-12 today. I am wearing something else today, but in the spirit of the season and this post, I will be in Z-14 tomorrow.

Thanks guys ... just narrowed down my want list .. Z-14 is middle running .. Santos Concentree up near the top .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Blog Entries

Has halston 1-12 been discontinued? Or is the cologne just changed ownership? It still seems to be readily available as does z-14.

Quote Originally Posted by judahsmith View Post
    Has halston 1-12 been discontinued? Or is the cologne just changed ownership? It still seems to be readily available as does z-14.
    Discontinued but still a lot of stock left out there in stores and online.

If your considering Z-14, check out the thread I started.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/287...formulation%29
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    Santos is head and shoulders above the Halstons.
    Agree.

Blog Entries

Btw. Hands down. Old formulation or new formulation. Z-14. It is amazing. In fact the guide to gentleman's dress and grooming (the go to book of men's elite fashion) also includes z-14 as a small handful of must have fragrances. I was shocked to read that, till I smelled it. Awesome. And to me z-14 goes hand in hand with halston catalyst. Totally different frag. Same warm, amber spiciness. Enjoy one of the best men's frags of all time. 1-12 smells like hotel soap, mixed with zest, mixed with a musty attic smell. Complex? Yes. Is it growing on me? A little. But I love z-14 first sniff. 1-12 is an aquired taste. Z-14 just rocks it in a 19th century smoking jacket.

Great to know you got Z-14, I one of my favorites too

z14
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Dependent

1-12 is too sweet for me -- the vanilla ruins the green notes imo.

Z-14 new formulation is disgusting.
    Z-14 old formulation is genius. Truly great stuff.

I don't like birch tar so Santos Concentree is not my bag.

Z-14 is awesome! 1-12 isn't.