Code of Conduct

Default Battle of the rose/oud combos!

So, after really digging the various rose/oud combinations that have come up in recent years, my question to you guys and gals is:
    Which is your favourite?
    (I admit, I'll use your answers to decide if I'm adding Juliette Has A Gun's Midnight Oud, which I liked a lot when I sampled it, or C&S's Dark Rose to my buylist).
    Black Aoud, Golden Aoud, Aoud Roses Petals, Midnight Oud, Aoud (Homme), Dark Rose, Rose Oud... what's your pick?

Default Re: Battle of the rose/oud combos!

I'd love to hear the best, i'm on a mad hunt for one. I'm just not feeling the Montale rose/ouds, the rose is just bogstandard smelling soapy rose, even in Black. Aoud Queen Roses was just terrible, and if the Body Shop can spit out something identical with Rose Oud then Montale are doing something wrong...
    Can't so rose and oud are my favourite pairing but I'd love to see a really decent example of one.
    I'm guessing by Killian's will rate amongst the favourite....

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I'd love to hear the best, i'm on a mad hunt for one. I'm just not feeling the Montale rose/ouds, the rose is just bogstandard smelling soapy rose, even in Black. Aoud Queen Roses was just terrible, and if the Body Shop can spit out something identical with Rose Oud then Montale are doing something wrong...
    Can't so rose and oud are my favourite pairing but I'd love to see a really decent example of one.
    I'm guessing by Killian's will rate amongst the favourite....
    I'm biased towards Montales, I can take a lot of oud and the range of roses there can vary a lot. I didn't like Oud Queen Rose either, the rose is VERY soapy like you say. On the other hand, I enjoyed Aoud Roses Petals a lot (and own it). I would suggest you look into the Juliette and the Czech & Speake... haven't tried the By Kilian, unfortunately...

If I'm honest I didn't know Czech & Speake had an oud!
    The By Killian's is pretty impressive.
    I think after trying Aoud Queen Roses it just put me off the Montale rose offerings, I'm sure I will revisit them in the future sometime.

M. Micallef Royal Rose Aoud (2012 release)

Hello,

By Kilian Rose Oud. Have u tried it? This is so opulent and radiant oud. Magnificient. Someone will find it as feminine, but it is so...so..beautiful, full of balms, rose, vetiver, very beautiful and probably the best from Arabian nights so far.
    I wrote about it on my blog, and all I can say that I am amazed...
    http://bleauog.blogspot.com/ - my blog

Tom Ford Noir de Noir has both rose and oud notes.

+1 for Rose Oud By Kilian, it is an incredible frag.

Oh, Hednic, that's a new Micallef? Yipee!
    BL'eauOG, I haven't tried the Rose Oud yet. I'll try to get a sample of it...
    Noir de Noir is excellent indeed, at least until the drydown IMO...

Sound Scents

Another +1 for the Rose Oud from By Kilian. I am interested in trying the Royal Rose Aoud from Micallef as well. Micallef almost never disappoints.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

+1 for Kilian Rose Oud, with the proviso that it's not very oud-y... it's just a really, really excellent rose.

I am perfectly happy with Black Aoud and I enjoy wearing Midnight Oud once in a while too.

Montale Aoud Damascus doesn't get much love here but I'd really recommend sampling it as if it works for you its a very enjoyable scent.

Arabian Oud's King Fahed blend is what to my dilettante nose smells like the most sublime and balanced blend of the three archetypal ingredients of traditional Middle Eastern perfumery - oud, musk and rose (with a hint of patchouli thrown in to facilitate this happy union). Unlike many other takes on the theme that I've tried, all the notes are blended to perfection and sing with one voice in a harmonious unison. Sadly, not only it's appropriately expensive, but I find the longevity be somewhat lacking on my skin.

Another honourable mention for Tom Ford's Noir de Noir!

I haven't gone to deep into this genre. I am far from an oud expert yet. But another +1 for Noir de Noir.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I don't like Montale's too dark and oppressive variations on the theme and my feelings on the misleadingly titled Czech and Speake's dark rose is that it is elegant and quite charming and not a dark interpretation of rose/oud, which is how i prefer it done. It isn't heavy handed. So I'll stand by this one, even for a guy. I have not smelled by killians take.
    Last edited by autumngleeman; 18th January 2012 at 02:46 AM.

Anyone tried Illuminum's Rose Oud?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Arabian Oud's King Fahed blend is what to my dilettante nose smells like the most sublime and balanced blend of the three archetypal ingredients of traditional Middle Eastern perfumery - oud, musk and rose (with a hint of patchouli thrown in to facilitate this happy union). Unlike many other takes on the theme that I've tried, all the notes are blended to perfection and sing with one voice in a harmonious unison. Sadly, not only it's appropriately expensive, but I find the longevity be somewhat lacking on my skin.
    Is this an oil or a PP? I've seen this listed as a PP, but the price seems outrageous to me if that's the case.

Kilian's Rose Oud.

Dark Rose by C&S doesn't contain any perceivable oud. Its well crafted saffron / rose combination.

for swap/sale:

Homage

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Homage
    +1
    I own 12 ml of the white box version, for me very hard to beat if you're looking for best "rose" and "oud" combo,
    however I'm interested in trying arabian oud's King Fahred as mentioned,

lost the love for black oud, as it's sometimes too harsh for me, prefer Micallef's aoud homme,
    other than that I really like tom ford's noir de noir, and portrait of a lady (not sure if any oud in this one)
    by kilian's is also well done I must say
    last time I tried there was also interesting blends from Abdul Samad Qurashi, but can't remember the names.

I vote Black Aoud

Would love Black Oud except for the musk drydown- stomach turning.

Really like Midnight Oud. New York Oud by Bond No 9 isn't bad either. And for cheap and cheerful, the Body Shop Rose Oud isn't bad if you ask me. But I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Homage
    I don't know if I'm too used to Montale's in-yo-face oud, but is the oud in Homage not very subdued?

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Would love Black Oud except for the musk drydown- stomach turning.

Really like Midnight Oud. New York Oud by Bond No 9 isn't bad either. And for cheap and cheerful, the Body Shop Rose Oud isn't bad if you ask me. But I'm no expert.
    I loved Midnight Oud when I sampled it, found it also very unisex. I may get it, regarding that it's a limited edition...

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I don't know if I'm too used to Montale's in-yo-face oud, but is the oud in Homage not very subdued?
    Not really no, maybe you mean it's not harsh as many Montales... To me tt's an huge woody-oud-rose concoction enriched by frankincense and a tad of citruses...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Haven't explored oud as much as some, but I find it hard to imagine any of them smelling better than By Kilian Rose Oud.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Bond No.9 Signature Perfume and New York Oud!!!
    Gary

Black Rose Oud by Trish McEvoy is always overlooked. A good rose oud perfume.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Black Rose Oud by Trish McEvoy is always overlooked. A good rose oud perfume.
    oh yeah, it is overlooked. Thanks for the reminder.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

So far Black Aoud and Noir de Noir. I have a decant of By Kilians Rose Oud that I'll probably wear today to help further my opinion however.

Banned

to the OP ...

here's a rose/oud gourmand ....

Red Aoud by Montale - Upon application, an explosion of warm and vibrant, red pepper, coupled with the mustiness of aoud and a lovely, rich, red, fully-bloomed rose, with faint, lemony pixies flitting about, bestir for recognition. This vivacious blend frolics to the middle. Heaps of saffron, with its earthy and dusty floral aspects, tame the adventuresome pepper and rose, aided by a muted, yet biting, anise from the keen cumin, and further assisted by a winsome mysore sandalwood, which imparts its buttery and sweet woodiness. This sensuous melange covorts with the majical aoud, giving rise to hints of an inoffensive powderiness as well as a delicious cocoa, and flows to the awaiting base. Here, in the capable base, as the beautiful rose fades away, the drenched, citrusy greenness of haitian vetiver, empowered by the enabling orris, steps forward to morph the melange aforementioned into a delectable, chocolate drydown. This sexy and potent composition has very good longevity, 10-13 hours, and projection.

Aoud Roses Petals, Homage, Black Aoud

I vote Rose Oud from By Killian

Has anyone tried Black Rose Oud from Trish McEvoy? That one's not bad, and was told it layers well with other Trish McEvoy fragrances.

I love Black Oud, and also New York Oud.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I have just finished my post and I still have tingles. Francis Kurkdjian is about to release an Oud based fragrance. He is a master with rose, orange, amber...this could be great! In March we will see that creation. I think it will be one of the best...
    http://bleauog.blogspot.com/ - my blog

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Micallef's Aoud Homme. Saffron adds allure to the rose and oud here.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

From a women's perspective, my vote is for Rose Oud by Illuminum. When I finally tested it, I was surprised. I didn't expect to like it. I have been really turned off by all of my Montale samples. I thought I would have loved them but honestly I couldn't wait to take them off. I recently purchased a bottle of RO and can't wait to receive it. Last wore it this past Friday (the little left of my sample) and I couldn't stop smelling myself and got many compliments. It's a light rose, a little powdery, clean and the oud a just enough for it to be sensuous. Definitely sample it

Another Rose/Oud I love but it's not affordable for me is Hommage Attar by Amouage. I regret smelling it because I desperately want it...lol

Looking forward to try Rose Oud by Killian very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I love Black Oud, and also New York Oud.
    Forgot about this one. I found Kilians Rose Oud actually shares a bit more similarity to this one than to many of the other rose/oud combos that I've tried. And even though it's rather expensive, it's still a better price point per ml than the Kilians (though not identical or anything).

Quote Originally Posted by BL'eauOG View Post
    I have just finished my post and I still have tingles. Francis Kurkdjian is about to release an Oud based fragrance. He is a master with rose, orange, amber...this could be great! In March we will see that creation. I think it will be one of the best...
    That's great news! Already saving up for that one :-)
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    to the OP ...

here's a rose/oud gourmand ....

Red Aoud by Montale - Upon application, an explosion of warm and vibrant, red pepper, coupled with the mustiness of aoud and a lovely, rich, red, fully-bloomed rose, with faint, lemony pixies flitting about, bestir for recognition. This vivacious blend frolics to the middle. Heaps of saffron, with its earthy and dusty floral aspects, tame the adventuresome pepper and rose, aided by a muted, yet biting, anise from the keen cumin, and further assisted by a winsome mysore sandalwood, which imparts its buttery and sweet woodiness. This sensuous melange covorts with the majical aoud, giving rise to hints of an inoffensive powderiness as well as a delicious cocoa, and flows to the awaiting base. Here, in the capable base, as the beautiful rose fades away, the drenched, citrusy greenness of haitian vetiver, empowered by the enabling orris, steps forward to morph the melange aforementioned into a delectable, chocolate drydown. This sexy and potent composition has very good longevity, 10-13 hours, and projection.
    Sorry to reply so late: I love Red Aoud! It's amazing how they can concoct that gourmandish cocoa-like smell without any actual cocoa or vanilla in it... But I think it doesn't have any rose, does it?
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Noir de Noir
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892