Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1

    Default Grey Vetiver: love it!

    I sampled this for a few days, and fell in love. It was part of a bunch of vetiver decants I picked up, including Encre Noir, Sycomore, Guerlain, Givenchy, and Pour Elle. Still haven't fully tested out the latter two, but so far GV is my favorite (FB on the way), followed by EN (didn't bother with a decant of this, just blind bought a FB).

    GV is unique among those I have played with so far, in that it has a super clean, dry, citrussy feel, much more sparkly then the others, which have variable measures of smoky, musty or otherwise darker accords. I like them all, but the GV seems most modern and optimistic, sort of cheery, to me. I definitely will find a place for the Lalique in my rotation as well, and I may be turning into a bit of a vetiver fanatic, because I really enjoyed each one.

  2. #2
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by srmd22 View Post
    I sampled this for a few days, and fell in love. It was part of a bunch of vetiver decants I picked up, including Encre Noir, Sycomore, Guerlain, Givenchy, and Pour Elle. Still haven't fully tested out the latter two, but so far GV is my favorite (FB on the way), followed by EN (didn't bother with a decant of this, just blind bought a FB).

    GV is unique among those I have played with so far, in that it has a super clean, dry, citrussy feel, much more sparkly then the others, which have variable measures of smoky, musty or otherwise darker accords. I like them all, but the GV seems most modern and optimistic, sort of cheery, to me. I definitely will find a place for the Lalique in my rotation as well, and I may be turning into a bit of a vetiver fanatic, because I really enjoyed each one.
    Totally agreed - this is a great scent! I fell in love at first sniff - from a magazine flap! And the nice thing about it, even for hardcore vetiver lovers (who sometimes look down on this frag as "barely vetiver"), is that it really gets people appreciating vetiver.
    * * * *

  3. #3

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Yes it's great as is Vetiver Guerlain (the newer tall bottle).

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Easily the best vetiver I've ever tried. Vastly prefer it to Guerlain's.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Certainly one of my favorites and if I ever had a daytime signature scent, this might be it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Certainly very good. At the extreme of freshness in the vetiver field, I'd say there's Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle, perhaps my favorite vetiver (that or Sycomore, which I prefer to Encre Noire, that becomes a little too synthetic after a while).

    cacio

  7. #7
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    77,581

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    At the extreme of freshness in the vetiver field, I'd say there's Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle, perhaps my favorite vetiver
    Agree. Among my favorite vetivers also.

  8. #8

    Default

    Wore this one today! Love it.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    I'm still back and forth on the Encre Noire vs. Sycomore. They feel very similar to me, but I have trouble smelling the Sycomore on my own skin-- it's not a projection issue though, as my family had no trouble smelling it on me! I need to work through my Sycomore decant-- I got 8ml, so plenty of spritzes left to get some full day wears in to decide. I am taking a break from Vetivers tomorrow though, as I am vetivered out after a week and a half of testing. Gonna try my sample of Royal English Leather tomorrow! (although I am pretty sure I am not going to find any leather or oud to top the Dior).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Totally agreed - this is a great scent! I fell in love at first sniff - from a magazine flap! And the nice thing about it, even for hardcore vetiver lovers (who sometimes look down on this frag as "barely vetiver"), is that it really gets people appreciating vetiver.
    Point those people in my direction. To me, being a devoted vetiver connoisseur, this gets a B on intense vetiver pefumes.
    I'd like those people to guide me on "very vetiver" perfumes that I am unaware of.

    for swap/sale:





  11. #11

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    I love it too. Of course it's not a challenging wear so isn't for lovers of zany or avant-garde 'smellies'.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    To me it is a modern version of Guerlains Vetiver that smells better and is more wearable.

  13. #13
    Dependent mesaboogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    2,928

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Wore it today. Love it as well.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

    Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

  14. #14

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    (First time poster here, thanks to everyone for my ongoing education on BN)

    I got given a sample of this yesterday in Space NK and tried it on this morning. I almost wanted to wash it straight off. All i could smell was something akin to peppermint or mentholated cigarettes.

    It's been on an hour now and seems to be mellowing, but does anyone else get that initial smell like you've just opened a pack of peppermint malboros?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Grey vetiver is loaded with citruses and particularly grapefruit which will exude an aura of peppermint and the tobacco effect comes from the rooty vetiver.

    for swap/sale:





  16. #16

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Liked it when I tried it, very pleasing and easy to like, but as reviews seem to indicate that it lacks staying power and as it is a little overpriced for what it is (imo) I'll happily stick with the Guerlain and Lalique, both of which have bigger, vetivery balls anyhow.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    This was my introduction to Tom Ford and I have been in love ever since! I have noticed some people on different posts have lamented the sillage and staying power, and although I agree to a certain extent with them it's not exactly a deal breaker. Just when I think GV is gone I will move a certain way and a little bit of it wafts to my nose My only complaint is that I haven't had many compliments on it, well not as many as I think this great scent deserves
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

  18. #18

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Doubts about longevity. That is interesting. Will I pitch in boys? I can comment on smelling it on someone else. My partner wears Grey Vetiver a lot. (Yes I will admit that I bought it for him because I really like it, but he is on his second bottle now, success!) It always impresses me as having perfect sillage, just right, and I must say that I am also of the impression that it has great longevity, although I am thinking now that maybe it becomes quite close to the skin in time, but certainly not for many hours. IMHO Grey Vetiver is a very, very, attractive fragrance. My partner is a casual kind of guy and I think that he really suits it. I have seen lots of comments about it having a conservative suit and tie vibe, but I don't entirely agree. Yes it would work well in that context but it has a lot more to it than that.

    I also love the development from a bracing cologney grapefruit dominant citrus to a calm beautiful vetiver. Yes there is something restrained about it but I think that is deliberate, and there is nothing wrong with that. Quite the contrary. There is room for that.

    Calm, elegant, casual too. The kind of fragrance that makes one want to turn their head towards the wearer, and which will bestow a sense of attractiveness. Not much wrong with that now is there?
    Last edited by Foustie; 8th February 2012 at 01:13 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    I'm really wanting to try this one out, probably my next. How is sycomore? That's another I'm interested in.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    I liked it, but seemed very mild compared to other vetivers I've tried. I wouldn't see a hard core vetiver fan liking it.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    District of Columbia
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    anyone else feel that Grey Vetiver and Vetiver 46 are nearly identical?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    anyone else feel that Grey Vetiver and Vetiver 46 are nearly identical?
    Mmmm not really.

    for swap/sale:





  23. #23

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    anyone else feel that Grey Vetiver and Vetiver 46 are nearly identical?
    Mmmm not really.

    for swap/sale:





  24. #24

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Have been meaning to get a FB of this in the near future, I just can't get enough of it!

  25. #25

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    This was my introduction to Tom Ford and I have been in love ever since! I have noticed some people on different posts have lamented the sillage and staying power, and although I agree to a certain extent with them it's not exactly a deal breaker. Just when I think GV is gone I will move a certain way and a little bit of it wafts to my nose My only complaint is that I haven't had many compliments on it, well not as many as I think this great scent deserves
    Personally, I find GV to have excellent staying power (12+ hours) and that you have to go very light on the trigger unless you really want to announce your presence.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Point those people in my direction. To me, being a devoted vetiver connoisseur, this gets a B on intense vetiver pefumes.
    I'd like those people to guide me on "very vetiver" perfumes that I am unaware of.
    Hi H!

    Have you tried these vetivers?

    Vetiver Racinettes by Ayala Moriel
    Notes: attar mitti, black pepper, cardamom, coffee, ginger, lime leaf, nutmeg, ruh khus, spikenard, Haiti vetiver, Indonesian vetiver, Madagascar vetiver, Sri – Lanka vetiver.

    I really like this one...the dry down is pretty amazing and IMO really nice.


    UNDERWORLD - Liz Zorn Soivohle Absolutes
    Notes: vetivers from around the world, rich spice notes of cinnamon, ginger lily and clove, a touch of jasmine, roasted coffee, cocoa, rose leather and balsams, set into a light vanilla oud tincture.

    This one is more of a challenge - at least for me.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

  27. #27

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    My trial of this yesterday went as follows:

    Opened up with a burst of Extra Strong mints, very quickly turning into mentholated cigarettes where it stayed all day. 6 hours later it was still detectable but only close to the skin.. what remained I could only describe as "smoker's toothbrush"

    Thankfully I got a sample of Tom Ford Extreme as well, which is one of the greatest fragrances i've ever smelt. Someone said it right in one of their reviews - old leather wingback chair; pungent, fruity single malt (Macallan?) a log fire in the grate, and to one side a freshly clipped cigar ready to be smoked.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog127 View Post
    I liked it, but seemed very mild compared to other vetivers I've tried. I wouldn't see a hard core vetiver fan liking it.
    Agreed.
    I thought it was nice enough, but a bit lame in comparison to say Villoresi, Etro, Guerlain, Roccobarocco, Prada vetivers.
    Regards,
    Renato

  29. #29
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    643

    Default Re: Grey Vetiver: love it!

    Best of the Tom Ford Collection. Hands Down!!!
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    Best of the Tom Ford Collection. Hands Down!!!
    Not the best vetiver, but I agree it is the best of the TF collection.

Similar Threads

  1. Grey Vetiver, Lubin Vetiver or Kenzo Boisee
    By Asteroid in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14th February 2011, 10:28 PM
  2. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver vs. Creed Original Vetiver
    By BradW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 28th July 2010, 11:33 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18th March 2010, 05:01 AM
  4. How Does Grey Vetiver Compare to Original Vetiver?
    By adonis in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 1st December 2009, 06:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •