Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A specific challenge: A newbie that wants to smell her age.

Thanks for taking interest! The post is long, but please don't let that deter you

I am extremely new to the world of perfumery. In high school I messed around with cheap body mists and sprays, but now I'm ready to make a commitment. I live in New York for school, and I've always admired the elegance of certain ladies on the street and how as they pass by, the most sophisticated will always have a wonderful waft of perfume following them.
    Now, I don't aim to reach that peak of classiness, but I would like to be someone that smells nice, as opposed to your plain student who smells like nothing.

I was given a bottle of Shiseido's Zen White Heat for Christmas, which I had liked as a paper sample. On my skin it smells okay, but a little "older" than I'd like - It has a warmth that I associate with women older than me. I think the reason I liked it in the store was because of the topnotes, which smelled really bright on paper but seem less so on my skin, especially after a while. It's by no means a bad scent, but it smells more mature than I'd like.

I *am* a college student, so certain qualities that affect college students - Being around many people in a classroom setting, a need to have a scent that will work both in the library and out on the town, a lower amount of income, etc.
    I would like some advice from knowledgeable people before I really invest in a signature perfume. I have a budget of $50-70, although I would probably only spend that much if I knew I would definitely use it.

My experience with perfumes are limited to the department stores and body mists, but I can give a brief list of what I like and don't like:

- I enjoy lighter scents, in the citrus or floral category, and I enjoy clean scents. I wouldn't mind a "soapy" or "laundry" scent if it was special enough to distinguish from actual soap.
    - I tend to not favor nature smells, such as green or sea - My experience being Bath and Bodywork's Rainkissed Leaves and other nature-themed scents from B&B. They're okay.
    - I have a love/hate relationship with sweetness, which I associate as "girly" and "tweeny". I do like Dove's Refresh Plum-Sakura scent, though, which I use as deodorant.
    - I dislike "warm" smells such as vanilla, but especially musky scents. I associate them as being too overpowering. I have tried a friend's Beyonce's Heat and I do not like it overmuch.

I do like the smell of Clinique Happy Hearts, but for some odd reason I favored Zen White Heat over it in the store, so that doesn't bode well for my choices.
    The original Happy, I thought, was a little too strong for me.
    Speaking of "name-notables", Chanel No.5 just smells really old to me.

I like the smell of Gap Blue for Women, although it is on the extreme end of the "clean" spectrum for me. I don't think I could wear it in very many situations. The name is really accurate, so it's the "bluest" that I'll go.

My mother uses Jessica McClintock, which I like. It's powdery and lily and a bit mature, and it smells good on her, but I really couldn't see myself wearing it every day.

True Religion seems appropriate for my age group, but is a little too vanilla/musk for me. It smells sweet, which I don't know if I like - It makes the scent younger but also I tend to dislike obvious sweetness.

I have heard good things about Ralph Lauren Romance , V&R's Flowerbomb, and Philosophy's Grace line.

In all, I'm trying to find a "younger" floral scent that is not offensive but loud enough to be noticed, isn't too expensive, has a good basenote vs. topnote, and lasts a long time. The last one is important to me - If it lasts a long time, I wouldn't mind spending more money on it.

Thanks for reading and for your advice!
    Last edited by Bomheina; 30th January 2012 at 06:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A specific challenge: A newbie that wants to smell her age.

I think Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere is worth a try. It's a younger, lighter and fresher interpretation of the classic Chanel No. 5. It doesn't smell "mature," but it still smells sophisticated. It's a bright floral with very good longevity. The aldehydes that maybe make the classic Chanel No. 5 seem old-fashioned are dialed back in this one. It's near the top of your budget range for the smaller bottle, but it's an excellent scent.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Violet Blonde sounds perfect for you.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Perhaps Montale Sunset Flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Tom Ford Violet Blonde sounds perfect for you.
    I agree completely with this. The only reason I didn't mention it is that it's a bit above her price range. But if the OP is willing to spend a bit more, I'd absolutely recommend this too.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    I agree completely with this. The only reason I didn't mention it is that it's a bit above her price range. But if the OP is willing to spend a bit more, I'd absolutely recommend this too.
    Sephora has the 30ml bottles for $65. Really beautiful fragrance.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Sephora has the 30ml bottles for $65. Really beautiful fragrance.
    Oh, I didn't know that! Then I'd definitely recommend Violet Blonde. (Although I still think Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere would also work well.)
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine

Post Thanks / Like

Since your live in NYC, you should just go around and smell as much as possible. The nose gets tired, but the paper strip retain the scent for quite some time. Just remember to bring a pencil so you can write down the name. And you should also smell what is beyond your price range, just to get an idea of what's around (that is, places like Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman, Chanel, Henri Bendel).

In addition to the previous suggestions:
    The prototypical clean smelling, soap perfume is Estee Lauder Beautiful. I much prefer Estee Lauder White Linen, but if you're disturbed by aldehydes, as l'incandescent was hypothesizing, then White Linen is not for you.
    Light modern florals include Kenzo Flower (slightly sweet) and Anais Anais (rosy, a little more soapy).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, everyone!
    I will take cacio's advice and go sample at various stores for all of your suggested fragrances.
    And yes, after a little research I have deduced that it's the aldehydes that put me off of certain perfumes.

Again, my thanks. Happy smelling

Post Thanks / Like

guerlain shalimar parfum initial

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Orchid Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford - an inexpensive, high-quality fragrance ...

Post Thanks / Like

For me there is no age in perfumes. Wear what you enjoy.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like soapy and clean but age appropriate I highly recommend JLo Glow in the original rather than any of the flankers. It does have some musk but this is clean soapy musk. It sits close to the skin so is great for packed classroom. Best of all it gains compliments from both sexes without being overtly sexy.

Try it along with as many other frags in your price range as you can as previously recommended. In NYC you will be spoilt for choice. I would also say don't aspire to a signature scent but aim to collect a wardrobe as your finances allow so you have something for certain occasions or to treat yourself to when you want a calorie free reward or treat.

Enjoy all the fragrant world has to offer

For a ' "younger" floral scent that is not offensive but loud enough to be noticed' try Hermes Un Jardin sur le Toit. It might be a little out of your price range but do include it in your discovery tour.