Code of Conduct

Default Have the famously popular fragrances become unpopular enough to be "unique" now?

I know, very confusing title! This is what I mean:

I feel as though there are two fragrances that Basenoters believe have at some point reached a peak of popularity that makes it difficult for them to wear. These two fragrances are Giorgio Armani's Acqua Di Gio and Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male.

My question to you all is this: Do you think these fragrances are passed their prime of popularity, and are now uncommon enough to be considered "unique"(for lack of a better word)? I must say, I cannot even remember the last time I smelled either of these fragrances on anyone, rather I believe they have been replaced by Bleu de Chanel and 1 Million as far as popularity goes.

I personally believe that Acqua Di Gio and Le Male are absolute legends of perfumery and still two of the best in the designer game.

Default Re: Have the famously popular fragrances become unpopular enough to be "unique" now?

No. I still smells ADG and Le Male all around here.

Almost every men only wears ADG, Le Male, CK Eternity and Cool Water here in Bangkok. (~30% wearing perfume actually, 30% pure BO. 40% deodorant)

Le Male gonna slowly fades away first. (and become unique??)

But ADG is timeless. It's one of the best designer aquatics out there.
    Last edited by SpentaZ; 14th March 2014 at 03:32 AM.

Default Re: Have the famously popular fragrances become unpopular enough to be "unique" now?

Not confusing and no.

Everyone I've talked to likes Acqua Di Gio and they've never heard of Le Male. That's one reason why I bought Le Male when I saw a deal on ebay. Its more exclusive around here. People around here recognize Acqua Di Gio and even the imitations of it. So for my area at least, Acqua Di Gio is still very popular.

Personally don't feel they have finished running their popularity course yet.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Want to smell unique? Then wear Curve for Men.
    Gym scent of week: A*Men Pure Havane

My gym hates me

I received a ADG card in the mail yesterday. You know open the flap, smell the scent, rub it on your skin.
    It was an advertisement for Armani where every bottle sold $5 goes to unicef or something blah, blah. $1.7 mil has been raised so far for clean drinking water. Maybe I should go buy some Armani products.

I've seen what you mention with tons of perfumes.

In 2008, chergui , a*men Pure malt & a few others were continuously being discussed.
    The result was most people bought them, those liked them , kept them. Those who didn't simply sold them off.

It's a common phenomenon really.
    Then you'll have people come in promoting brands and then interest dies off.

for swap/sale:

In southern California I would say that ADG is still quite ubiquitous, and I don't expect that to change. Le Male is not a fragrance that is extremely popular in this region anymore (I don't recall that it ever was), in fact I see it at discounters like Nordstrom Rack, never the case with ADG. I would say the original Issey Miyake is much more popular here.

They are only unpopular enough to be unique on basenotes. Among the general public, still extremely popular, not that there's anything wrong with that. Just about all of my friends that are 1-3 cologne guys own one or the other, if not both. And they refer to them as 'Gio' and 'Gaultier'.

It will take a long, long time before fragrances like AdG could be considered "unique" in my city.

Maybe about 10 years from now I would consider them unique. A lot of people still wear these fragrances.

I never smell Cool Water, Le Male, AMen, JOOP or ADG in my home city Preston or my workplace Manchester. The stuff I detect the most is Hugo by Hugo, Boss Bottled, 1 Million, Davidoff Champion Energy and alarmingly Aventus! I've picked that up a few times in the past month.

I think Eternity for Men has got to the point of re-evaluation.

To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue. I do my best to stay clear from others, unless they're family or friends, the rest I just don't usually get close enough to smell. Thankfully!

Every once in a while I'll smell somebody wearing a Cologne, and I'll recognize it as a good or bad smell, but never have I been able to identify what it might be.

I don't think AdG will ever lose its popularity. It's simply an amazing fragrance that should and probably will stand the test of time, along side some of the greats, line OG Polo. Yup, I said it, mark my words. Lol

As for Le male, well that stuff can just go ahead and crawl off into a corner and die. I loathe the femininity of vanilla heavy scents. Blugh!
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 14th March 2014 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Maybe about 10 years from now I would consider them unique. A lot of people still wear these fragrances.
    Boy, I don't know. I won't be surprised at all if Acqua di Gio is still a massive seller a decade from now... especially since they released Essenza. To me, the release of Essenza shows that Armani has no intention of letting AdG slow down.

Can the average person detect a difference between AdG and Essenza?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

ADG or Le Male, possibly not. But I can imagine fragrances with similar levels of popularity during, e.g. the 70s and 80s, becoming increasingly unique in their own right, simply because their notes, note categories, overall concepts etc. are becoming less available, since less fragrance houses would experiment with.

While I am unsure whether fragrances like Givenchy Gentleman, Azzaro PH or RL Polo Green were bestsellers like ADG, Le Male or so back in the day, even if still in production and not discontinued, they tend to stand out more, be more uncommon or at least, less frequently worn, purchased on average.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I think Eternity for Men has got to the point of re-evaluation.
    Funny you should mention that one. I've been having the same thought. Eternity is still in stores like Macy's, so it must still be selling well, but I never smell it anymore. A saleswoman made an interesting comment about it recently. She said she never sees men buying it, but she sees lots of women buying it for the men in their lives. If true, that would tempt me to revisit it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    It's funny because it's true.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Can the average person detect a difference between AdG and Essenza?
    Average person? Hmmm, good question. I can certainly tell them apart without a problem. Essenza, to me, is far better than the original AdG. I used to love AdG when it first came out, but that feels like eons ago...

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking! I believe Curve has run it's course and don't smell it on anybody anymore....but woman still recognize and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Boy, I don't know. I won't be surprised at all if Acqua di Gio is still a massive seller a decade from now... especially since they released Essenza. To me, the release of Essenza shows that Armani has no intention of letting AdG slow down
    I've always enjoyed the Armani house, despite the fact they are over priced. But the asking price of Essenza is just shameful IMO

Blog Entries

The only things I smell around here are 'Cool Water' and 'Axe'.
    Last edited by kumquat; 14th March 2014 at 09:31 PM.

In my experience Le Male seems to have retained it's popularity, or at least commonality, more than AdG. Here in the UK I think that L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme was always more popular than AdG anyway whilst Le Male has always enjoyed a strong marketing presence throughout the years and I think that this has kept it to the forefront of the minds of the casual fragrance buyer.

Having said all that it seems that 1 Million is the current king of popularity around here at present.

I've owned AdG, L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme and 1 Million and if I had to choose one to reinstate in my collection I think I'd opt for the Issey Miyake.

*BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Blog Entries

I have to say, I've tried ADG and I don't get the attraction. The only other of that list I've tried is the Hermes.

In Minnesota you are lucky if someone does not smell period.

I very rarely come across a fragrence being worn by anyone - male or female - true story!

I feel like at times , fragrances remind us of a certain time . For me La Male and Acqua di Gio are quintessentially the mid 90s / early 2000. As we get older , new trends in fragrances come and go but some stay classic . The best example being miss dior or channel number 5 .

So long as they maintain significant shelf space at high prices in high end department stores, they are nowhere near the end of their peak popularity. This is still the case down here in Australia and in various European countries I visited last year.

Scents' popularlty in general have definitely waned when they start showing up really cheap at discounters down here or internationally at say Strawberrynet.

At the moment I do see some minor discounting on both of them at discount chains (more so with Le Male), which could be a sign of the waning having commenced, or is possibly just a reaction to a temporary glut. More time is needed to see if the trend starts snowballing.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The only things I smell around here are 'Cool Water' and 'Axe'.
    Two of my favorite scents. You must be from a place I dream about.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerIII View Post
    In Minnesota you are lucky if someone does not smell period.

I very rarely come across a fragrence being worn by anyone - male or female - true story!
    Yep, same way here in central Oregon...rarely smell any fragrance even at a club/bar as well.

I remember during the early 90s, EVERYONE was wearing Polo Green.
    I liked it back then, and hardly anyone wears it now, and I love to wear it when the day is cold enough to do so, and im in the mood for it.
    That punch in the face of pine, fresh cut tobacco and leather is perfect on those searing cold windy days up here.

Not a regular wear for me, but I've come to appreciate it more now, since I dont smell it around every corner.
    1-2 sprays is my max. Dudes used to use this like a body spray in high school, nauseating.
    For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 8/20

Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee
    Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Even if they would be past their prime it would be hard to consider them as uncommon (out of fashion or old fashioned is probably the best you could hope for) seeing as they are in every department store, plenty of fakes on Ebay and can be smelled on the young and the elderly who may have worn them since they first came on the market.

Basenotes Plus

I can definitely see le male going away, then coming back as a cult classic. I smelled it last week and I actually missed it. ADG is never going away, it's like cool water

nope maybe in another 15 or 20 years

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Two of my favorite scents. You must be from a place I dream about.
    Then come to Nebraska. You will think you've died and gone to 1980's perfume Heaven.

To put it in perspective, I have smelled Musc Ravageur on more people than I have Le Male in the last few years. (I have a friend who wears it, therefore I have smelled it on one person).

Personally, I don't know if guys are wearing ADG because on me, it has unfortunately poor projection and longevity, so that could be the case for others.

I see a lot of basenoters slamming Le Male but I love it. No one in my area seems to know about it nor do they wear it. That makes it even better for me because I don't have to worry about it being over popular. ADG... Can't stand it. Way too common and way too boring. I'll never own a bottle nor a sample. Someone brought up Curve... Still smells good and as far as common fragrances go, it blows ADG away.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I hope the fad dies off sooner rather than later. I had a thing for AdG about 14 years ago but will definitely not wear it any time soon. I want a sample for nostalgia reasons.