Code of Conduct

Default Santos de Cartier Concentree sharp note, what is it?

Could somebody please identify what is that top note in Santos de Cartier Concentree version, it smells like a bit rubbery, very bad and disturbing note to my nose. It is some spice or herb i think. As i spray Concentree, it starts to dominate right away. I think the same note may be in the Santos original version, but milder, it's so mild there, that it don't disturb me there. It might fade away possibly after some hour or so as the fragrance developes, but it's just present too long time for me to be able to wear this fragrance at all....

I think the same note is present in Yatagan, and for the very same reason i can't stand and wear Yatagan as well. Might be some other spice than in Concentree too but it is a quite same kind of smell to my novice nose.

I'm sad to say i have to sell my new Concentree away, i simply can't wear it because of that certain spicy note. - What that might be? I already looked at the note pyramid of Santos Concentree, but i can't figure it out. Any ideas?
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Default Re: Santos de Cartier Concentree sharp note, what is it?

I'm sensitive to too much dark thyme used in Yatagan, but I don't recall thyme in santos concentree. Perhaps santos' coriander and lavender are to blame for the sharpness you perceive ?

Don't know what that sharp note could be as my nose detects something too, but for me it's a keeper.

Thanks Dullah but i doubt it is those for i did a search based on those notes and only quite nice fragrances came up. It's something that's present in Santos Concentree very strong right after spraying (must be some of the top notes i think) but is clearly milder, not so dominant in Santos. Maybe sharp was wrong description. Its somehow rubbery, sickeningly-sweet-spicy thing.

I put a small spray of Concentree on my wrist last night as i used to spray original Santos, it was a mistake. I had to go to wash it away because that note. Could not get sleep as it smelled to my nose. Very dominant note in the beginnning of the development of Santos Concentree.
    (Marcel Rochas)

Thanks hednic too. I have done some investigation and it seems that the note i can't stand (and which is listed in both Santos Concentree and Yatagan), might well be CELERY, maybe in combination with some else notes. In Yatagan this smell appears somehow more "oily" and it nearly causes a vomit reaction.

Good news is that after an hour it's almost unless totally gone, and i really like Concentree's nutmeg and sandalwood base.
    I don't get that note from the "original" Santos that much or at all, original Santos matches well with my skin chemistry and is a keeper.
    (Marcel Rochas)

top notes of Santos Concentree can be "brutal". If you put your nose very close to your wrist after spraying, it smells very sharp, cheap, and unpleasant. Wait 30 minutes and try to smell it again. This time with your nose 10-20 cm from your skin. I`m quite sure You will get a different impression. Santos Concentree is one of my top favorit fragrances, and IMO far better than the regular version.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    top notes of Santos Concentree can be "brutal". If you put your nose very close to your wrist after spraying, it smells very sharp, cheap, and unpleasant. Wait 30 minutes and try to smell it again. This time with your nose 10-20 cm from your skin. I`m quite sure You will get a different impression. Santos Concentree is one of my top favorit fragrances, and IMO far better than the regular version.
    Yeap! Guys... and i dont see all the formal thing in Santos concentree. Actually for me when a fragrance is beautiful enough i wear it even with sport clothes. I wear conncentree a lot on summer days with shirts and feel a great man!

smeller

I feel your pain, dfa91.

My new Santos Concentre was kind of a disappointment. I expected some kind of epiphany, based on some reviews. But I feel the same way as you: a rubbery chord dominates everything else. To my nose, it seems like its herbal components are clashing against the spices, making the nutmeg sound like a muted trumpet, or a trumpet under water. In the regular Santos, this same trumpet is shining in a beautiful duo with the lavender, so I don't feel the need to suffocate it with a herbal explosion that reminds me Boucheron pour Homme.

I don't know about the vintage versions, but it seems that you and me are the only basenotes that seem to prefer the current regular Santos to the concentre.

I have a question: how do you feel its projection? On me, there is more than plenty of longevity, but quite weak sillage and projection. Do you perceive it the same way?