Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Santos Eau de Sport - one of the finest fragrance for men, ever?

Okok, there are other strong contenders too, but Jeez, this ones terribly underrated and is one of those of scents which is on the brink of disappearing from the face of earth (since it;s discontinued).

Santos Eau de Sport is one of those scents which keeps on evolving with every passing hour. Layers after layers of gritty, yet refined accords unveals itself slowly, but steadily like waves after waves and humbles the wearer with it's sheer genius; both as a perfume and the quality of indgredients that goes in.

my Lame attempt to describe it may seem funny coz neither do i possess the vocabulary nor am i able to decipher this fine blend. Theres simply too much going on in this scent yet it sits there for you to notice it's subtle moves. It opens with a very controlled accord of green accords with a touch of mint and controlled use of florlas & spices giving it a intense, yet transparent feel, i cant help but think of it as a deep green, intense version of Chanel PMC (only a reference, this ones much more gritty). the blend is so fine that one could immediately feel the fluidity in the way it evolves. by mid accords there is a very distinct accord of patch and florals. The combination makes me feel as if im smelling cuban cigar leaves combined with gritty green accord. It reminds me of Havana Reserva here, yet, it's so different from Havana too! the base holds up with a lovely melange of resins based incense, mossy green accords and amber.

Overall, a remarkable experience. It can be easily worn in any kind of weather. Although it's discontinued, Xmen still has some brand new bottles of it left with him. Im off to get a backup..I just hope i never run out of this gem.
    Last edited by jenson; 3rd November 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Cartier Santos Eau de Sport - one of the finest fragrance for men, ever?

I didn't like the regular Santos at all, but this one sounds different. Is it a chypre jenson?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Cartier Santos Eau de Sport - one of the finest fragrance for men, ever?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I didn't like the regular Santos at all, but this one sounds different. Is it a chypre jenson?
    heya Mike, to the best of my understanding of what a Chypre/Fougere is...i'd say it's a Fougere. I could be completely wrong coz i'm still not 100% clear about those terminologies...

id say an oriental fougere

I managed to pick this one up recently off ebay for a ridiculously cheap £19 and I agree with jenson. This is a very complex fragrance which evolves into a mossy, floral and tobacco drydown which compels you to sniff your arm continuously. Absolutely wonderful but sadly discontinued.

I have not tried the sport-version, but the concentree is IMO the ultimate male fragrance. Excellent!

One of the better sport fragrances out there IMO.

Dependent

Santos and Santos Concentree have a bit of leather (birch tar ... hate it!) in the drydown. I've been led to believe Eau de Sport dropped it. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by joelarner View Post
    I managed to pick this one up recently off ebay for a ridiculously cheap £19 and I agree with jenson. This is a very complex fragrance which evolves into a mossy, floral and tobacco drydown which compels you to sniff your arm continuously. Absolutely wonderful but sadly discontinued.
    I was watching that one. Good win there. What are the longevity and projection like?

I'll have to give it a try. Santos Concentree is in my all time top five favs.

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    I was watching that one. Good win there. What are the longevity and projection like?
    It does well on both counts. I get about six hours on the skin and it is still evident on clothes the day after. Projection is also good but more subtle than the original Santos as befits a sports fragrance. However, this is far from a watered down version. It retains the leathery mossy feel on the drydown and complements the original in every way.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by joelarner View Post
    It retains the leathery mossy feel on the drydown and complements the original in every way.
    dang, I like the rest of Santos besides that leather