Code of Conduct

Thread: Sample Madness

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sample Madness

So I have been testing and sampling stuff like crazy for the last couple of months. I have bought a few based on this testing and on reviews, mostly low to moderately priced classics with lots of good reviews (eg. Encre Noir, Terre d'Hermes, Rochas Man, etc). I tested a bunch of Creeds at the mall, and my fav at that moment was Royal Oud. I have been working through 10 samples of Creed, but the 1ml sample were not helping me, as dabbing it on just didn't give me a good feel for the scent. After I wasted a couple this way, I wised up and have been decanting the samples to spray bottles, which is MUCH better. Several of the Creeds seem a bit week/low longevity to me, although they smell great. A few have better longevity, like GIT and REL. I was getting tired of sampling and wanted a bottle, so I went with my initial test impression, and sprung for the Royal Oud. I was psyched when I received it and wore it a couple of times-- I love it. --However-- I just sampled Royal English Leather yesterday, and I like it at least as much! Not to say I made the wrong choice...but I may have. Not really, it's pretty close. Also, I have Dior's Leather Oud on the way, so that will probably cover my leather needs pretty well anyway, probably don't need LE and REL, both. (Or do I? LOL).

Long story short, the lesson for me is don't buy one until you are done sampling! (Within reason, of course, not gonna sample everything under the sun, and never buy anything for want of finishing that process).

Started sampling Montale's Oud line-- I will wait until I have tried most of those that interest me before I go for a FB, if I do. Tried Red Oud and Black Oud so far, don't think it'll be one of those. Dark Oud, Lime Oud, Cuir d'Arabie and Moon Oud next. I am thinking from reviews, Lime Oud may be the one that get me. But no jumping the gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sample Madness

Yes keep sampling till you develop a sense of what you like and what you dislike and what youd further like to explore.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Your patience is most admirable smrd22, when I sample something I really like I jump the gun the next second.

Royal Oud is a stellar purchase btw.

Great selection you have sampled. You will know when you are ready to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

great choices

Wow I wish I had the money to buy Royal Oud! Enjoy your purchase man

Post Thanks / Like

You sound like me. I have been going on a sampling mission lately. Did you have to mail order many samples? I hope to get some Creed samples next time I'm at Neiman's after I buy my Tobacco Vanille. Hopefully the big purchase will earn me some samples (I always feel like I'm asking for an arm and a leg for official samples). I usually spray so many samples on me at the store I get sensory overload.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I mail ordered most of them. I did get a few from Neimann Marcus and Sephora, but it is like blood from a stone with these guys-- they are only willing to make a few at a time at most (which is reasonable, but I need a LOT more then that, lol), and they will throw whatever card sample in they have on hand. These latter, however, are usually not scents I am interested in, although I discovered a couple of good ones-- F Pour Homme Black, and Halston Man Amber, neither of which I would have thought to test on my own. I think they are actually both bottle worthy, but not for me personally at this point, as there are several others I think will take precedance.

Bottom line, though, it just seems easier to order a bunch online, despite the somewhat painful expense. It's not too bad because you end up with enough samples to last awhile-- kind of like if you had bought a single expensive bottle of something.

Post Thanks / Like

So is Luckyscent.com the best (most affordable) place to get samples? I want to try some Amouage and not sure if any stores carry it.