Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    queen of the universe

Default Re: Today I Bought February

a 100ml bottle of vintage Miss Balmain, about 90% full, tester, from ebay. Can't wait!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange
    Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

^ Great photo, Volley2!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    <jamming fingers in ears> Lalalalalalalala

Guys! Please please stop talking about vintage Guerlains! I have enough vintage addictions already!

Seriously, though - congratulations, Larimar! I love the LHB EDT and parfum I have, which are probably from before the latest reformulation. I'm torn about whether I should try to get some older juice, now...
    Oh trying to blame Larimar and I on your recent Guerlain vintage addictions, eh? Don't even try it. We all know Captain Le Mouchoir de Monsieur is the one who's whipped your addiction into a frenzy, not us.

What are the boxes of your L'Heure Bleue's like rubegon? The black & gold or the solid matte amber/gold with the drop down line and circle on the front? I personally never like LHB in the EdT (vintage or new) and I have only smelled vintage LHB extrait which had turned slightly so perhaps I should find some 'new' LHB extrait to test one-of-these-days... However if you have not smelled vintage EdC or vintage PdT you really need to - IMO, it reflects the BEST aspects of the scent. Some of the intense spice is lost in the EdT, the EdC and PdT really amps up the spice.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Ah yes, mike! I got a rather huge amount of the vintage EdC in a swap last summer. I would have never sprung for this concentration being 40-odd years old if I hadn't had the chance to sample it before. I was AMAZED how well preserved the florals were. Hehehe, rubegon! I'm picky about my florals being intact, so vintage is problematic with L'Heure Bleue. The EdP from the black-golden era is a stunner (maybe not terribly different from today's EdP -so far- ? I have never tried it.). The vintage EdP has compared to the PdT a 'brightness' and lacks the animalic weight. However, the PdT is much more wearable for me (because darker), if one does not overspray. This is definitely one of the few perfumes where a few shy spritzes produce big sillage, that's just how incredibly potent it is. I'm happy for you rubegon that you are on a roll with your zig zag Shalimars.... You can jam your fingers back into your ears now....lalalalalalalaaaaaaa!
    Yes, EdC is great because when I had a bottle I could easily over apply it and it wouldn't get too cloying, but I would still have that unmistakable pastry/spice/Guerlainade accord swirling all around me. I drained my EdC very quickly - it was just one of those small 30 ml square travel bottles and it wasn't even 1/2 full when I bought it. I need one of those large round dial bottles. Mark my words: I will have a bottle this year, for sure. Even if I have to pay top dollar for one.

Speaking of which,

and also, I got this used vintage Tiffany for Men. Mike - I have you to blame for this one. It's excellent, by the way. Is the current formulation still good?

...I am loving zebra box Shalimar EDC, by the way. It kicks the ass of the current EDP, IMO...
    The 'zebra box' is that what you're calling the black & white squiggly line one? Yes, this is the same exact Shalimar EdC I own. My bottle is almost all gone, I'll need to replace it soon. That's the good stuff. I agree, it rivals 'new' Shalimar in almost all of the formulations.

I have never compared 'vintage' Tiffany for Men to new juice, but from what I've heard there have been no reformulations (for the worse) on this one. I used to wear TFM when I was growing up, so perhaps in my mind I remember what the vintage juice smells like, but I don't own the new juice. I like it, but I don't love it. It's one of those chypres that I feel like I will grow into when I get older, but for now it doesn't 'fit' me.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ok I think I need to self refer for counseling I've bought a back up bottle of Givenchy III. 80s vintage again I refuse to ever run out of this again and will not stoop to the LE Mythiques version.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What are the boxes of your L'Heure Bleue's like rubegon? The black & gold or the solid matte amber/gold with the drop down line and circle on the front?
    I'm not sure - both are testers, and only the EDT came in a (white) box. The EDT is a 50ml bottle that looks like a smaller version of my 75ml Mitsouko EDP (gold box with line/circle) and came with no cap.

The parfum tester came with no box. The juice is dark! Much darker than even the zig-zag box Shalimar parfums I have:

The 'zebra box' is that what you're calling the black & white squiggly line one? Yes, this is the same exact Shalimar EdC I own. My bottle is almost all gone, I'll need to replace it soon. That's the good stuff. I agree, it rivals 'new' Shalimar in almost all of the formulations.
    Yes, I keep saying zebra box - I don't know where I got that from. I'll start saying zig-zag, since that's what everyone else calls it. I got the 3oz. sealed dial bottle for a reasonable price. I know they make bigger ones - I'd love a 400ml (I think) one, but they are pricey. The $/ml price doesn't seem to drop much if at all for larger bottles with the vintage - makes sense, I guess, since the supply is finite.

I have never compared 'vintage' Tiffany for Men to new juice, but from what I've heard there have been no reformulations (for the worse) on this one. I used to wear TFM when I was growing up, so perhaps in my mind I remember what the vintage juice smells like, but I don't own the new juice. I like it, but I don't love it. It's one of those chypres that I feel like I will grow into when I get older, but for now it doesn't 'fit' me.
    I just assumed it has to have been reformulated to remove the oakmoss. Tiffany.com still sells it, but I understand the new juice is lighter. I guess I could go to the local shop and try it, but I don't trust my nose enough to tell at first sniff.

I like it better than Chanel for Men based on initial impression. It seems brighter and and has better projection. My CFM may be suffering in the comparison due to deterioration, though. Both don't seem to last much past midday as anything more than a quiet skin scent.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Institution

For some reason all vintage L'Heure Bleue is super dark. Sometimes it's perfectly fine, other times it means the juice has turned. It makes buying vintage LhB from eBay incredibly difficult. As Larimar said above, LHB is one of the Guerlains that does NOT age well. Just like some versions of Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

200ml splash 1980s Vintage Habit Rouge Edc, delivered yesterday.

...wow!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

For some reason all vintage L'Heure Bleue is super dark. Sometimes it's perfectly fine, other times it means the juice has turned. It makes buying vintage LhB from eBay incredibly difficult. As Larimar said above, LHB is one of the Guerlains that does NOT age well. Just like some versions of Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit.
    So my little cube is probably vintage(ish)? It still smells great, so I got lucky buying it unsniffed.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    200ml splash 1980s Vintage Habit Rouge Edc, delivered yesterday.

...wow!
    Cool - Congratulations! Can you post a picture? I've seen a few big old vintage bottle designs and don't know which was made when. I've been thinking of getting a big EDC. Do you mind me asking how much you paid and where you got it?

I'm a bit paranoid of buying a big bottle of vintage HR, as I've gotten a couple of 50/100ml bottles of vintage EDC and EDT with somewhat sour topnotes - and I love the opening when it's intact. How are the topnotes on yours.

As Larimar said above, LHB is one of the Guerlains that does NOT age well. Just like some versions of Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit.
    Vol de Nuit - I can only speak for the extrait - is the worst IMO. Anything prior to approx. 1990 that I was given samples of smelled turned to me (the floral notes - jonquil and jasmine).

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Cool - Congratulations! Can you post a picture? I've seen a few big old vintage bottle designs and don't know which was made when. I've been thinking of getting a big EDC. Do you mind me asking how much you paid and where you got it?

I'm a bit paranoid of buying a big bottle of vintage HR, as I've gotten a couple of 50/100ml bottles of vintage EDC and EDT with somewhat sour topnotes - and I love the opening when it's intact. How are the topnotes on yours.
    Top notes all there: lemony-citrus, a touch of both floral and powder and damn fresh smelling for an 80s product. I own the post 2003 version but I prefer this vintage one. Seems to me to be fuller, a bit more earthy and, for lack of a better word, richer.

This pic is smallish but the largest I could find on Google Images. It is a stock pic as my camera is on the blink but it is the same box/bottle as the pic.

I bought it for just over $93 NIB shipped from a fellow Basenoter
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Trying to be good this month! Just one bottle - Prada original in 50mls
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Sur la Plage

Alien Le Gout Du Parfum

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Le Nez Turtle Vetiver Front

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Joe - that is an exquisite looking bottle. Congratulations !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Top notes all there: lemony-citrus, a touch of both floral and powder and damn fresh smelling for an 80s product. I own the post 2003 version but I prefer this vintage one. Seems to me to be fuller, a bit more earthy and, for lack of a better word, richer.

This pic is smallish but the largest I could find on Google Images. It is a stock pic as my camera is on the blink but it is the same box/bottle as the pic.

I bought it for just over $93 NIB shipped from a fellow Basenoter
    Man, I am so jealous! I thought I didn't like the vintage EDC very much until recently getting a small decant from a much more well-preserved bottle. I have 2 smaller bottles of EDC that are sort of ... "meh".

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Le Nez Turtle Vetiver Front

Man, I am so jealous! I thought I didn't like the vintage EDC very much until recently getting a small decant from a much more well-preserved bottle. I have 2 smaller bottles of EDC that are sort of ... "meh".
    Were the 'meh' bottles the old black-white-zig-zag boxes (from the 60's)?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Were the 'meh' bottles the old black-white-zig-zag boxes (from the 60's)?
    They're these:

1 oz. travel size:

Is the zigzag different/better, or does it age better?

Both bottles of 80's Givenchy III arrived today. One seller kindly enclosed a free part used bottle of the same vintage fragrance AND an unused body lotion that came with the GIII when originally bought. I love that Seller! How kind and unexpected. Perfume lovers are always so generous!

Dioressence (new version) edt, which I am enjoying very much. But wish I could smell the 1997 version again.

Sur la Plage

Gorilla Perfume 25:43 - a belated Valentine's Gift (since I was out of town during the week)

Notes include Lime,Tonka, Ylang Ylang, Lemongrass, Vanilla & Litsea.

Last edited by petruccijc; 19th February 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Vintage Opium EDT dabber and 30mls Poison Esprit de Parfum which makes 8 FBs so far in Feb.

I'm ashamed, Feb is only 2/3rds over!

Encens et Lavende by Serge Lutens

Caravelle Epicee by Frapin 100ml

In my mailbox the latest weeks:

Chanel vintage Bois des Iles
    Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin & Bois et Fruits
    Creed Acier Aluminum (tester)
    Caron Violette Precieuse
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Vero Profumo Rubj extrait

Plus partial bottles of Malle Bois d´Orage/French Lover and PG Cuir d´ Iris, 30 ml decant of Guerlain Vetiver pour Elle
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Wow, pelle! Great to see you! Congrats on your purchases!

Thanks Oliver!

Unfortunately the vintage L´Heure Bleue EdP that I bought from US ebay turned out as current EdT, and the bastards refused to exchange/refund it. I put it in the back of my drawers hoping to forget it but I doubt... Therefore not in the picture either!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Oh, I am sorry to hear you got burned, pelle! I thought you did not get along with L'Heure Bleue?

Basenotes Institution

Oh I'm sorry Pelle- it's bummer when that happens. I would do the same...hide it away so not to think of it.

Today , I have obsessed greatly over Ormonde Jayne's Frangipani - in parfum extrait - of course ! ( Being a total extrait whore! *LOL* )
    So ,trying to be sensible - BEFORE I purchase OJ's Frangipani which is big bucks , I have decided to re test Chantecaille Frangipane .....which led me to Ebay..... which led me to purchase several samples of 4 of the Chantecaille scents - Frangipane, Vetyver, Petales, Tiare. Jon and I tested these out at SpaceNK in London but there was a lot of sniffing going on and no doubt my nose registered zilch .

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    4 of the Chantecaille scents - Frangipane, Vetyver, Petales, Tiare. Jon and I tested these out at SpaceNK in London but there was a lot of sniffing going on and no doubt my nose registered zilch .
    Confirmed ! - our knackered noses were only fit for strong coffee in the end.

I'll have to revisit too .

Mimi, a frangipani parfum sounds heavenly! I once had the chance to smell a tree in bloom. I am sure you will find a wonderful perfume for you. Happy sniffing

Lovely haul, pelle.
    I'm especially envious of the vintage BdI . I find the 'gingerbread' note particularly pronounced

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Larimar and Jon.
    Well ,I went ahead and bought the OJ Frangipani today. I really doubt it gets better than Linda Pilkington's version to be honest. So much for being sensible ! *LOL*

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Thanks Larimar and Jon.
    Well ,I went ahead and bought the OJ Frangipani today. I really doubt it gets better than Linda Pilkington's version to be honest. So much for being sensible ! *LOL*
    You did the right thing! The Chantecaille is nice but it doesn't come close to the Frangipani Absolute, I don't think you'll be sorry. I'm so happy for you!!!!
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

For my first ever eBay transaction and my first ever (proper) vintage- i just purchased a VINTAGE 75 ml EDC Chanel no 5 for £23. I am so happy!!

Nice one FM88. I believe I was watching that but having now bought 10 FBs this month *blush* I didn't bid. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    For my first ever eBay transaction and my first ever (proper) vintage- i just purchased a VINTAGE 75 ml EDC Chanel no 5 for £23. I am so happy!!
    Congratulations! That sounds like a great deal. First eBay transaction? Be careful - there begins a slippery slope, my friend.

Congratulations! That sounds like a great deal. First eBay transaction? Be careful - there begins a slippery slope, my friend.
    Yeah - i shouldnt get ahead of myself. Im next eyeing up a bottle of vintage Poison

Vintage Poison Esprit de Parfum arrived. Glorious stuff but less radiance and sillage than vintage EDT. Great longevity though.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    You did the right thing! The Chantecaille is nice but it doesn't come close to the Frangipani Absolute, I don't think you'll be sorry. I'm so happy for you!!!!

Oh thanks Kiliwia !

In a recent spending spree, I purchased the following on Ebay:

Eau de Shalimar (have tried Shalimar Light but not this stuff. this is cheaper and has some pretty favorable reviews)
    Samsara (the ORIGINAL formulation, after being terribly disappointed in the new version.)
    MPG Eau des Iles (blind buy! very recently recommended by a basenoter and extremely intrigued by reviews)
    Eau de Lalique (another blind buy, CHEAP, and recommended by basenoter.)

*sheepish grin*

Enjoy, everybody!!!!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    In a recent spending spree, I purchased the following on Ebay:

Eau de Shalimar (have tried Shalimar Light but not this stuff. this is cheaper and has some pretty favorable reviews)
    Samsara (the ORIGINAL formulation, after being terribly disappointed in the new version.)
    MPG Eau des Iles (blind buy! very recently recommended by a basenoter and extremely intrigued by reviews)
    Eau de Lalique (another blind buy, CHEAP, and recommended by basenoter.)
    Congratulations, misscasey! I recently acquired those as well (except for the MPG). Enjoy!

Here are my latest acquisitions in the past week.

Finally! I get my hands on a (small) bottle of Mitsouko parfum. Does anyone know how to tell what vintage this is? It didn't come with the outer box, and the inside of the lid doesn't have the Marly horse - just the Guerlain name.

A 1/2 full bottle of Samsara parfum (vintage? real sandalwood?). I wanted to smell/own some of it because I want to explore JPG's feminine compositions. Mahora is probably next (and I think I'll stop with that one) ...

BaV PdT

And, a backup bottle of the leather version of HR EDP:

Thanks, Rubegon! We're twins.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

My first bottle of vintage Poison

The vintage 70s dabber Opium EdP arrived. Wonderful oily juice with that softness of the first formulation and cheap as chips

Then scooped up Arabie whilst I was passing the tester, don't know how it happened but SA was lovely and topped up the purchase with 4 samples which I haven't had time to check yet! Ahem had to hide the bag from Mr Ali

Ebay is beginning to be a problem for me. 2 more bottles of VINTAGE EDC No.5. Even cheaper than the last one.

M.Micallef - Yellow Sea

I must stop reading this thread - i keep seeing all your vintage bottles and I want one!

Speaking of which....

This will be my last purchase for a while. Ive spent too much already and ive still got a whole month to get through. Oh well at least i will smell gorgeous

I must stop reading this thread - i keep seeing all your vintage bottles and I want one!

Speaking of which....

This will be my last purchase for a while. Ive spent too much already and ive still got a whole month to get through. Oh well at least i will smell gorgeous
    Congratulations! Is that a Shalimar EDC, FM88? The vintage stuff is really fantastic - ml for ml, I think I would take it over the current EDP.

I warned you about that slippery slope! I'm splurging even more than usual this month because I'm also selling a bunch of old stuff (non-perfume) on eBay. It doesn't count if things are going out as well.

Guys, I'll add some Jicky EdP to the shopping confessions!

Speaking of which....
    [IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCHK7DEcOjg46x7Ix1GJFuUti7GDjIU v3s6LcVF-
    Ooohhh you got that as well. Seems we've been watching the same items but haven't bid against each other luckily. That could get messy

rubegon: Yes it is, im very excited

Alityke: I better not tell you what im eyeing up next then lol

Maybe better to share then we can have an agreement not to bid against each other... Could save some pennies

I really wish I had more will power. Vintage Opium pour homme

Basenotes Institution

A 1/2 full bottle of Samsara parfum (vintage? real sandalwood?). I wanted to smell/own some of it because I want to explore JPG's feminine compositions. Mahora is probably next (and I think I'll stop with that one) ...

What box did it come in? Does the batch code start with a letter or a number?

Oh & congrat's on the Mitsouko. How's it smell? Sometimes vintage Mitsouko can turn in the top notes?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    ...Eau de Shalimar (have tried Shalimar Light but not this stuff. this is cheaper and has some pretty favorable reviews)...
    I think you will like it. I remember your thread where you were asking for recommendations and I almost suggested you buy this one - as I own a bottle of it and the Light and I love both. They are very close. Perhaps the Eau is...simpler. Sometimes you just want a simple oriental, nothing too complex. To me, it is a 'eaux cologne' version of Shalimar, which IMO is not a bad thing. I wear it a lot in Summer, when I go the beach & come home for a shower and I want something light to splash on for a midday nap, but I don't want a crisp zingy citrus, I'd rather have something with softness and a bit of 'comfort' to it. Eau de Shalimar works wonderfully for these times.

-- Eckhart Tolle

What box did it come in? Does the batch code start with a letter or a number?

Oh & congrat's on the Mitsouko. How's it smell? Sometimes vintage Mitsouko can turn in the top notes?
    Thanks! I haven't even opened it yet. It's so damn cute I've been hesitant to untie it ... I'll do it tonight and get back to you.

The Samsara came boxless - it was pretty cheap. I didn't want to splurge on an expensive specimen buying blind. It looks like the batch code is BN....

I just tested the Samsara and got this vivid scent memory - my mother wore this when I was growing up! I'll have to find her one for mother's day.

Top notes are good on the Mitsouko parfum! It's really nice - mellower and softer than my current EDP, but it seems a lot denser, if that makes sense. More tenacious, too.

I don't have any idea what vintage it is, though. I have only the inner box with "Guerlain" inside the lid in the same font as is currently used, I think. Batch code MA24W. Any idea? Glass stopper, btw (I guess they still have that, though?).

Basenotes Institution

Top notes are good on the Mitsouko parfum! It's really nice - mellower and softer than my current EDP, but it seems a lot denser, if that makes sense. More tenacious, too.

I don't have any idea what vintage it is, though. I have only the inner box with "Guerlain" inside the lid in the same font as is currently used, I think. Batch code MA24W. Any idea? Glass stopper, btw (I guess they still have that, though?).
    Batch codes starting with letters are vintage.

The Mitsouko parfum can be all over the place: sometimes it acrid & bitter, other times it can be smooth and wear very close to the skin. Give it a full wearing and report back. I think the best part of wearing vintage Mitsouko is all of that oakmoss. You have to enjoy that unique accord that is reminiscent of foliage, seashores and tree bark. If you don't then it's not going to be pleasant and enjoyable. I think Mitsouko is even more oakmoss prominent than the original Chypre that I own.

The Samsara has the most exquisite sandalwood basenote. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore. But, still, I don't really enjoy the fragrance all that much. It is just TOO much.

-- Eckhart Tolle