Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Is Aramis Havana all that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    It's alright, but it doesn't wow me. Spicy, versatile, not-too-heavy tobacco scent. There's a Miller Harris scent a lot like it.

I'm always rather amused how, a few years ago, when it was dicontinued, this seemed to be half the forum's holy grail, and people were paying serious coin for it. Then it came back, and miraculously, came back just as good, and now... hardly anyone talks about it anymore.

It's like the second coming happened and the church went "meh".
    Feuelles de tabac?

I've never tried Havana but I used to own Montana parfumerie d'homme red box. Feuelles is not spicy at all. Love it tho.

Interested if it another frag I've not tried..

It's alright, but it doesn't wow me. Spicy, versatile, not-too-heavy tobacco scent. There's a Miller Harris scent a lot like it.

I'm always rather amused how, a few years ago, when it was dicontinued, this seemed to be half the forum's holy grail, and people were paying serious coin for it. Then it came back, and miraculously, came back just as good, and now... hardly anyone talks about it anymore.

Feuelles de tabac?

I've never tried Havana but I used to own Montana parfumerie d'homme red box. Feuelles is not spicy at all. Love it tho.

Feuelles de tabac?

Feuelles de tabac?

I recently got samples of Havana, Spicebomb and Elixir de Mervielles as I'm looking for something new. Havana is the only one that I haven't been complimented on, but I find I really like it. My wife hates spicy '80s frags, but Havana seems to be OK with her, and after the top notes settle, it really feels smooth but masculine. I live in Houston, where it's steamy and summery most of the year, and I think I would get a lot of use out of it here.

I think havana is a masterpiece! bold, spicy, musculine and sexy... something that will have pple asking u what u are wearing. it is actually not available in singapore even with the release of the gentlemen's series. we only get the common ones like tuscany, new west, 900..etc i wonder if the ingredients are more difficult to source and they have limited supplies?

I found it good, but not awesome. For me it is a unisex scent, more toward to the feminine side. It is easy to wear; i don´t get tobacco much, actually i get little of it. I really wanted it to be more masculine... With the same idea and structure i would prefer Lalique lion. Don´t blame me, but i really found them similar, especially the heart notes. So, i would prefer buying Lion which is heavier and more dense but without tobacco and truly masculine.

Hrmm each to their own, I definitely don't think it leans to the feminine side though. I still enjoy wearing the scent particularly in the warmer weather. For the price I think its worth having in the collection but I would say its good not great, interestingly picked up Creed Tabarome recently and it kind of reminded me of this.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

i also can name some scents that ,for me, have the same "architecture". I like but don´t love them. Some are: Jaipur, Havana, Lalique Lion, Minotaure, Rochas Lui and Opium. Seems that was a trend in the past, in 90´s especially. I think if one likes any of that list, will like the others.

I find it ok, but it's nothing that I am going to add to my collection any time soon. I guess I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Maybe I'll have to give it a few more tries.
    Currently wearing: White Aoud by Montale

Probably in my all time top ten list. In my humble opinion Havana is all that good and far more.
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Havana is a masterpiece. End of story!
    To see a world in a grain of sand and a Heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour

Personal favorites:

1) Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    2) Amouage Epic Man
    3) Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    4) Ralph Lauren Polo Modern Reserve
    5) Creed Aventus
    6) Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    7) Amouage Jubilation XXV
    8) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    9) DSquared2 Potion Royal Black
    10) Christian Dior Fahrenheit Absolute

I bought it when it was re-introduced.

Stupidly, I was swayed by the rave reviews posted during its absence.

Lesson learned on that front.

I gave my bottle to my son (15) after a few wears.

He wasn't that keen on it either so it went in the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo fandango View Post
    I bought it when it was re-introduced.

Stupidly, I was swayed by the rave reviews posted during its absence.

Lesson learned on that front.

I gave my bottle to my son (15) after a few wears.

He wasn't that keen on it either so it went in the bin.
    You are right. It is not at all good. I don't get any tobacco with this one, just a sharp chemical note.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

This one has been on my wish list. It was even in the shopping cart but in the end (last night) I pulled the trigger on Versace Eros. I will definitely be purchasing Havana though in the next month or so to add a good fall fragrance to the rotation.

After having a bottle of the new stuff for years, this thread just inspired me to grab a blue horn bottle off eBay just now. Obviously I love it, and agree it really shines in heat, don't know what those people at fragrantica are on. There is tobacco, but as mentioned it cleverly weaves around the spices. It's just a gorgeous dry, boozy, spicy tobacco kind of thing.

And on a side note, it continually amazes me that two people can smell the same thing and not just like/dislike it, but describe it in vastly different ways. That has to be a genetic thing. Like super tasters? There has to have been threads about that, but I'm not sure what I'd search for. Any links would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Nanook; 20th July 2015 at 07:42 AM.
    Please check out the bottles and samples in my swap list.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

In my opinion, still consistently good quality, even in the current formulation

Havana is beautiful and refreshing.

I never really got all the praise for Havana - it's not even that rich or tenacious.

With that said, over the years, I did manage to find at least four vintage 50ml bottles and quickly sell them on...

Whether discontinued, rare or new, I'd advise others not to bother with most of the Basenotes hype. At least 90% of it is complete and utter bulls**t.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    .....I'd advise others not to bother with most of the Basenotes hype. At least 90% of it is complete and utter bulls**t.
    That's for damn sure.
    _________

Havana is quality. Much better than most niche fragrances. Smells good but it can be a little dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I never really got all the praise for Havana - it's not even that rich or tenacious.

With that said, over the years, I did manage to find at least four vintage 50ml bottles and quickly sell them on...

Whether discontinued, rare or new, I'd advise others not to bother with most of the Basenotes hype. At least 90% of it is complete and utter bulls**t.
    My humble opinion is antithetic, Havana is one of the few masterpieces of all times and this is plain, an unforgettable fragrance on the right man, spicy, fresh, exotic, sultry, classy. "Complete and utter bulls..t"? It should be nice to know more about. The real class is rare and Havana is rare. Trust the Basenotes hypes guys, Havana deserves it.
    Last edited by Darvant; 20th July 2015 at 03:47 PM.
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Basenotes Junkie RichMan'sOldSpice's Avatar

Aramis Havana is all that. Works great in the warm weather, but I can definitely see it working in cooler seasons as well. It's pretty loud when first sprayed, and does remind me of the inside of a nice cigar box (have also heard some "ganja" references, I wouldn't know..). After the first hour or so it calms down but is still nice and spicy, and you also get an old school Aramis vibe as well (original Aramis was one of my favorites back in the '80's). IMO this is great stuff, but not everyone is looking for the same thing, this is not fresh n' fruity at all.
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

I love Aramis Havana it is a great quality fragrance. Wearing it evokes feelings of being on a beach smoking a Cuban cigar very nice classy
    Currently wearing: Type by Monotheme

don't deceive with belief

I have only tried the second release, but in my humble opinion it is a great bay rum - tobacco fragrance (I haven't sampled Cuba - yet).

I agree on one account with some who don't like it - Havana is not very tenacious. It doesn't last that long.

Having said that, I would mention that for this fragrance the middle phase is where most of the development is. The opening is a bunch of spices, but after 30 minutes or so the fragrance warms up on the skin and the tobacco note comes to the fore to mix with the spices and a hint of rum in the background. This is the phase I love the most. It's complex, arresting and quite evocative of an easy-going laid back Latin-Caribbean way of life. It becomes a little dull in the dry down with a hint of sweetness.

But in this case, 'the heart is where the heart is'.

Tip: Try it in warmer weather and go with a few extra sprays. And as always, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 20th July 2015 at 09:15 PM.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    That's for damn sure.
    _________

Havana is quality. Much better than most niche fragrances. Smells good but it can be a little dull.
    +1.

Nothing really special to me, I rate it simply a 3 star scent out of 5.
    Although I've paid a high price for my bottle and have used it less than 4-5 times, I'm ready to swap it!
    I know many better tobacco scents available, even the 20$ Jacomo de Jacomo is better than Havana to me!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

I have the new release and its decent, but theres a slight "body odor" note about it that makes it smell dated, which is odd because there are 80s and even 70s fragrances that seem to have aged better (Tsar, Paco Rabanne, Polo).

i like amen...pour lui by lapidus and pour lui by oscar as well as michael jordan legend and these have some pipe tobacco smell i like...how is havana diff?

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Different opinion is what makes horse racing/betting and fragrance opinion so interesting. Havana in my view is as close to the ideal fragrance as I have encountered. Class in glass. Fortunately the reissue is for all practical purposes the same as the vintage. Huzzah Aramis!
    Last edited by kbe; 18th April 2016 at 06:19 PM.
    we have seen the enemy...and he is us.-Pogo
    Currently wearing: Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

Quote Originally Posted by conkhi View Post
    i like amen...pour lui by lapidus and pour lui by oscar as well as michael jordan legend and these have some pipe tobacco smell i like...how is havana diff?
    You need to get a bottle of this stuff!